Dungeons & Flagons 3: The Search For Spock

While I don't know if I'd say it was emotionally hollow, after watching it a second time the pacing issues seemed much more apparent (and not just for the first half). Still loved it though.

To be honest I just thought that Caine was pretty abysmal this time around, of which I was really disappointed about. He's practically the emotional centre of the film and, because of his poor performance, the film suffered. Not to mention the whole [BLACKOUT]Tate/Bruce, Bruce/Selina romances[/BLACKOUT] which felt forced.

Don't get me wrong, loved the second half of the film as a comic book fan but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a great film in and of itself, wherein TDK definitely was.

Caine? Abysmal?

tumblr_m7lmxexvx11qdku5lo4_500.gif

Was it a perfect movie? No...but it more things right than wrong in the big picture by a 5-1 margin.

The moment for Gordon [BLACKOUT]After Batman basically told him who he was[/BLACKOUT] on the bridge was one of the best in the entire series.

The final battle with Bane when Batman kicked him through the door...LOVED IT!

Overall...my favorite new trilogy....(Lucas tweaked "Star Wars" one time too many & I haven't seen all "The Lord of The Rings")

How can you say Caine's performance was abysmal? He was great. His scenes were some of the most emotional! :confused:

I don't want to be a downer, but I thought it was the worst of Nolan's trilogy despite having some awesome moments.

The first third to a half (up until Bruce is in the pit, the Bane fight sequence excluded) it was clunky as bad place. Biggest pleasant surprise to me was Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle who arguably had the best performance of the film and would be it's biggest push for an Oscar nomination (outside of some production - not sound...) and that's a real long outside chance.

Again, that said, there were scores of awesome moments, some real tip-o'-the-hats to fanboys and when I heard:

Approximation of Bruce Wayne's will said:
"...and the land will be given to the city of Gotham on condition that nothing is done with the foundations of its grounds...

I squealed...

How can you say Caine's performance was abysmal? He was great. His scenes were some of the most emotional! :confused:

Just because they were emotional doesn't mean they were well-acted. If anything I thought Caine over-acted certain scenes. [BLACKOUT]The blubbing on Martha and Thomas Wayne's graves comes to mind, which I found particularly unconvincing.[/BLACKOUT]

I'd still give the movie a reasonably high score: 7/10, maybe. I understand why a lot of people might have trouble viewing it objectively though. Perhaps in time.

Last edited:
So if we liked it we're not viewing it objectively?

Whiny *****es. You're all whiny, nitpicking *****es. And you can all shove it up your asses! :cmad:

So if we liked it we're not viewing it objectively?

I pretty much indicated that I liked the film barring a few moments myself so were that the case I was making (which I'm not) my own objectivity would be in question anyway. :o

I'm just saying, it's the type of film that people will either clamour over or hate because of the type of hype that comes with it. Once the hype has faded I think people will be more objective. Both ways.

Whiny *****es. You're all whiny, nitpicking *****es. And you can all shove it up your asses! :cmad:

Don't pay any attention to Byrd.

All he can remember of the movie is 2 hours and 45 minutes of Jim Gordon being a badass.

All I can remember is three movies of Jim Gordon being a badass.

I. I've also began to notice a couple of plotholes, and one particularly big one that I noticed right away still hasn't really left my mind since seeing the movie.

Might I ask what that was?

Might I ask what that was?

It was the scene where Bruce comes out of the Lazarus Pit and just shows up in Gotham without showing how he got there. I for one can't wait for the deleted scene that shows Bruce having to smoree himself out in some Middle Eastern back alley for airfare back to Gotham.

It was the scene where Bruce comes out of the Lazarus Pit and just shows up in Gotham without showing how he got there. I for one can't wait for the deleted scene that shows Bruce having to smoree himself out in some Middle Eastern back alley for airfare back to Gotham.
With eighteen hours until detonation, no less. So I guess it was a supersonic flight which can cross the world in only a couple of hours.

With eighteen hours until detonation, no less. So I guess it was a supersonic flight which can cross the world in only a couple of hours.

Bruce must have sucked the bad place outta those ****s. But what do you expect? He's Batman, he's trained his mind and body to be the best at everything. ****sucking included.

That didn't bother me at all. It took him almost a month to get back and in Batman Begins we saw him move between Africa and Asia with limited resources.

On another note:

Am I the only one worried that poor Robin "John" Blake will be killed on his first night in the cowl? I mean, where is he going to get his training?

That didn't bother me at all. It took him almost a month to get back and in Batman Begins we saw him move between Africa and Asia with limited resources.
The way the movie was cut, they showed Gordon explaining that the bomb would go off into 18 hours. Then they showed Bruce escaping the prison. It's possible the events didn't happen chronologically, but still. And he got back to Gotham in BB because Alfred had the means. This time, he was entirely on his own.

Well, since we're discussing plotholes...

Bruce can't walk right in the beginning of the movie, then he gets his magic leg that allows him to KICK THROUGH BRICKS (which is never mentioned again, btw). But then after Bane freaking breaks his back and takes all of his toys away when he throws him in the prison, Bruce can not only walk perfectly fine, but climb out of a freaking pit and jump pretty far to freedom just fine.

It's just another small thing that bugs me about Nolan's world. He seems like he wants to do this uber-realistic interpretation, but only when it's convenient.

He can jump further without all of that cartilege weighing him down...

I understand why a lot of people might have trouble viewing it objectively though. Perhaps in time.

ob·jec·tive   [uhb-jek-tiv]
not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.

Plenty of people here have already done that. They've listed more than enough flaws with the film to be able to properly weigh in either way without blind optimism or misguided loyalty to the Batman character. That's an example of using facts rather than personal bias. :huh:

Africa and Asia weren't directly under siege to the point that even their military couldn't enter. And I get that he's Bruce Wayne, and that the assumption is that there could have easily been a way for him to sneak into the city through some passage that he possessed in order to freely get back to and from the Batcave if he'd ever run into a tight spot, but that was never really established in the series or shown properly to lend any credence to such a theory. He couldn't swim there, because the water was frozen. He couldn't use the bridges because they were destroyed. The movie's own scenario kind of rendered that particular plot point invalid.

A better way to do it, I think, would have simply been to show Bruce captured immediately by Bane's mercenaries, to at least explain that he tried and failed to get in and that they decided to bring him inside of Gotham because of who he was. Then have Catwoman show up to free him and work up a plan from there, given she knew his identity by that point.
That was just me, though. I also realized Carnage's point with [BLACKOUT]the conveniently disappearing legbrace[/BLACKOUT] after Byrd brought it up the other day. So that's at least two major things that kind of didn't add up for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"