Guardians of the Galaxy Early Guardians of the Galaxy Box Office Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvel is TEN films in now though. And no signs of fatigue. That's pretty awesome.

Marvel knows how to spice of their catalogue by diversifying their line up with different genres.

GoTG's gross makes me feel a lot more confident about Ant-Man and Doctor Strange. Keep the trilogies coming, Marvel.

I can tell you why GOTG is going to do very well at the box office. I was in Sydney Australia watching the an advanced screening of GOTG. It was shown in a huge cinema on a Friday afternoon. People over here don't read comics much. Despite this, the cinema was 3/4 full.

Marvel did very well promoting this movie and the word-of-mouth is going to carry this movie to success.

Disney's marketing really is 2nd to none, I tremble to think what will happen next year when they roll out and AoU and SW7.

Marvel knows how to spice of their catalogue by diversifying their line up with different genres.
Exactly. Even within the same "franchise", like Iron Man, its never more of the same. Every movie feels fresh. Captain America went from WW2 Indiana Jones adventure, to superhero epic teamup, to political thriller.

GoTG's gross makes me feel a lot more confident about Ant-Man and Doctor Strange. Keep the trilogies coming, Marvel.

I'm not sure about Antman but unless they go young with Dr. Strange, I can see that movie not doing well. The magic thing doesn't really go over well with the GA unless you count Harry Potter.

They have to step their game up.

I can understand why they're complacent; it's because they have Batman and why make anything else when you have him in your lineup?

I'm not sure about Antman but unless they go young with Dr. Strange, I can see that movie not doing well. The magic thing doesn't really go over well with the GA unless you count Harry Potter.

Huh? Magic does fine. Plenty of fantasy movies have made a ton of money.

I'm hardly even a DC fan and I'm sick of comments like this.
DC deserves every troll comment it gets for being so scared of the source material. They're not sure about using Martian Manhunter of all people; the character that was an integral part of the popular Justice League cartoon that the target audience for these movies grew up watching. SMH.

I'm anticipating BvS; but I really hope DC starts doing more.

This number makes me feel very hopeful for all the future "C-list" properties. GoTG was a high quality film, that one over critics and audiences despite it's formerly second tier characters. The Guardians are on their road to the A-list, following Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America down that path. Hopefully Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, The Inhumans, Ms. Marvel etc can also tow the line.

One things for sure; Marvel is never cancelling the Guardians comic book again.

Yeah, they'll just relaunch it every other month like they do for every comic now. :oldrazz:

The fact that Guardians might hit 100 mil OW is amazing. This is just as good as the original Iron Man, I think this movie might be able to be the year's first 300 mil grosser domestically. :D

700 million and beyond

is-guardians-of-the-galaxy-the-best-marvel-movie-yet-d5ff2c9c-4d2a-43fe-9d4d-8e677ba18eff.jpeg

In August no less. That is astounding.

I think a big plus for the movie is that it's actually worth seeing in 3D/IMAX. It has that premium Avatar vibe happening. It could very well outgross TWS. Again, astounding.

I'm hardly even a DC fan and I'm sick of comments like this.
Marvel took a comic about a raccoon and a talking tree and turned it into one of the best films of the year. I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I think that deserves some sort of recognition given that their competition has yet to do anything half as unique (not just WB, but Fox and Sony as well).
LOL TOTALLY BRO HOW COULD I HAVE NOT KNOWN SOMEHTING SO IMPORTANT I MUST BE A CAVEMAN IT IS THE ONLY EXPLANATION
In my 8 years of being here, I have never laughed that hard at a post... Thank you sir.

Guardians does give a little hope towards Ant-Man's success, but I think that film will be riding on whatever happens with Age of Ultron.

Doctor Strange is the one I think everyone will be buzzing about.

I'm really blown away by the box office opening weekend projections. Well deserved, but I wasn't sure if it was possible. They're well on track to unseat The Sixth Sense as the biggest August release ever. All they need is the legs, which I'm sure they'll have.

That is the method to Marvel's madness. It isn't 10 movies into a franchise. It is a 1 or 2 into multiple franchises. That is what is keeping it so fresh right now. Iron Man is the only franchise on #3 as we speak. Now GotG is brand spanking new.

Kevin Feige is a genius

He mentioned how they are planning on two Marvel movies each year,one for a new franchise and one sequel of the older franchises

OMG A raccon and a talking tree made money !
Whats next ? A franchise of movies about spiders and gobblins making 700-900 mil ? Or a movie about a bat with tights WITH NO ACTUAL SUPERPOWERS making a billion?

Cut the crap about the risk GoTG was. IT WASNT.

If u thought even for a second that Marvel (After Avengers and i mean the quality the provided and not the "Avengers efffect") would make a bomb its your problem.

again (im sad to have to repeat myself)

you re claiming that> MARVEL STUDIOS (AN ABSOLUTE GAME CHANGER IN THE INDUSTRY)
will flop a movie that is

SFI-FI
FANTASY
STAR WARSish vibe
COMIC BOOK propertie
SUPERHERO propertie
HUGE ENSEMBLE CAST (with Vin Diesel who has gazillion facebook fans doing PR)
MARVEL STUDIOS ESTABLISHED QUALITY FILMS

yeah that seems like a flop ready to happen to me..... (im buffled)

at this point u have to realize that Ant-Man ,Ms Marvel , Black Panther ,Inhumans , Doc Strange or pretty much ANY Marvel Studios propertie will have real trouble to miss the 400+ mil total gross WW. 150 mil DOM and 250 mil OS is guarenteed for ANY movie they ll make next. (even squirrel girl)

The Wolverine made 282 mil OS. NO WAY in bad place any MCU movie makes less than that from this point on. and im guessing 176 mil that Cap 1 did is the low mark for DOM totals.

WELCOME to the game changing world of Marvel Studios... (Fingers Crossed for Warner Bros to keep up)
Again all that coming post CAP2 TWS. Which points to the fact that Marvel is pretty good at making QUALITY movies and for that reason alone they cant bomb.

Take a look at the 100 movies of all time and see how many Superhero movies are there. And after 2016 they ll be EVEN MORE

Superhero movies are the REAL GAME CHANGER. and they wont end like Harry Potter.

HOW is a surprise that QUALITY superhero movies make ton of money ? Even if they have raccons in it. Pretty much all superhero comics are ridiculus and outlandish.

I dont see why GoTG was more than any...

P.S. Marvel Studios are making 3 movies per year starting from 2017 if u didnt noticed . Thats a big win for us. :)

Last edited:
Exactly. Even within the same "franchise", like Iron Man, its never more of the same. Every movie feels fresh. Captain America went from WW2 Indiana Jones adventure, to superhero epic teamup, to political thriller.

That's the thing about Marvel,every movie is different

IM1 is sci-fi
IM3 is a buddy cop movie
TFA is a WWII adventure
TWS is a political thriller
Thor movies are more cosmic
TA is an ensemble movie
GOTG seems to be a space adventure
Dr Strange will be supernatural

Its amazing how they unleash so much diversity within the same universe''

I said almost the same thing about GOTG a year ago(That the GA doesn't care about Space movie unless you are Star Wars or Star Trek) and I am eating a crow right now

Dr Strange has a great origin(best Marvel origin imo after Spider-man and Daredevil),if they play their cards right,they can make a compelling movie

Iron Man 2 was more of the same, bland and boring, and TDW was the same for the most part. That is why they hold the place that they do. When you see stuff like TWS, GotG and the Avengers, there are no excuses for films like that. Hopefully we don't have a Phase 3 film as such. But if we do, I am sure the other six will make us all feel better. :D

It'll perform well $$$-wise but if you think critics are going to sing Zack Snyders praises like they are doing GotG I fear you are mistaken.

I might be the only one but I don't think $$$ is a guarantee either

People were predicting a Billion easy for MOS and it ended up with 2/3rd of that

I think IM2 suffered due to too much SHEILD,but then again Marvel needed to establish that things are part of a continuity to make TA a success so you can't blame them completely

With that out the way,most of the movies have been individual stories

At the risk of side tracking even more, I wonder what Sony is thinking right now? Their Super-hero franchise featuring the top Marvel A-lister is going downhill, while Marvel is making bank with E-listers

Spider-man will be sold to Marvel within an year,Sony is on the brink of bankruptcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"