Guardians of the Galaxy Early Guardians of the Galaxy Box Office Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oy... Let's not pollute this wonderful and sacred day (nay, weekend!) with that Marvel v. DC stuff. This thread's about the undeniable awesomeness of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY!!!

...awesomeness of which I have not yet seen. :oldrazz:

Anyways, DAT OD NUMBER! :hubba

So, you clearly haven't heard about a little movie called BvS. DC's next move seems fine. :D

Don't want to turn this into a Marvel vs DC thing but it is far from a sure thing. Cap 3 has a built in audience. Don't get me wrong, BvS will win that weekend but Cap won't go out quietly and if it stops DC's run before it starts, then it has done its job. Everything Marvel seems to throw out seems to do well. So unless Marvel or WB move that date, I'm not so sure BvS is guaranteed the money people think it will make.

Oy... Let's not pollute this wonderful and sacred day (nay, weekend!) with that Marvel v. DC stuff. This thread's about the undeniable awesomeness of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY!!!

...awesomeness of which I have not yet seen. :oldrazz:

Anyways, DAT OD NUMBER! :Hubba:

Sorry! Got the message to late! But my point is out and hopefully I won't be challenged.

Good Lord some of you are so bitter. :funny:

Sorry! Got the message to late! But my point is out and hopefully I won't be challenged.
This is a hilarious post .If you don't want it to be "challenged" just get rid of it. Or is this about getting the last word? :lmao:

;)

I just like focusing on the amazing stuff going on with GOTG! Incredible RT score. Fantastic Metacritic score. Stellar social media hype. And a projected OW $30 million over initial tracking!

I mean... That's just sexy!

I wonder if Disney/Marvel had an idea this would breakout. I loved going onto hsx.com today and seeing Guardians trading for $21+ toward a projected $213 million DOM total. In. Sane.

This number makes me feel very hopeful for all the future "C-list" properties. GoTG was a high quality film, that one over critics and audiences despite it's formerly second tier characters. The Guardians are on their road to the A-list, following Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America down that path. Hopefully Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, The Inhumans, Ms. Marvel etc can also tow the line.

One things for sure; Marvel is never cancelling the Guardians comic book again.

;)

I just like focusing on the amazing stuff going on with GOTG! Incredible RT score. Fantastic Metacritic score. Stellar social media hype. And a projected OW $30 million over initial tracking!

I wonder if Disney/Marvel had an idea this would breakout. I loved going onto hsx.com today and seeing Guardians trading for $21+ toward a projected $213 million DOM total. In. Sane.
Of course they did. That is why they made it. :cwink:

TDW is the blip, but TWS and now GotG are riding the wave of the success of the Avengers and adding to it. Building the brand up more and more. Those expecting a huge drop off for AoU's box office are going to be in for quite a surprise.

;)

Keep in mind HSX just does first 4 weeks. That $213 M would be more like $235-$250 M.

At the risk of side tracking even more, I wonder what Sony is thinking right now? Their Super-hero franchise featuring the top Marvel A-lister is going downhill, while Marvel is making bank with E-listers

This number makes me feel very hopeful for all the future "C-list" properties. GoTG was a high quality film, that one over critics and audiences despite it's formerly second tier characters. The Guardians are on their road to the A-list, following Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America down that path. Hopefully Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, The Inhumans, Ms. Marvel etc can also tow the line.

One things for sure; Marvel is never cancelling the Guardians comic book again.
If only they could get the creative team from 08 back on it. :csad:

At the risk or side tracking even more, I wonder what Sony is thinking right now? Their Supe-hero franchise featuring the top Marvel A-lister is going downhill, while Marvel is making bank with E-listers

Sony is dealing with franchise fatigue, and Marvel is still going strong off of Avengers. I'm not sure that Marvel won't be in the same place Sony is after 5 Avengers films.

Of course they did. That is why they made it. :cwink:

TDW is the blip, but TWS and now GotG are riding the wave of the success of the Avengers and adding to it. Building the brand up more and more. Those expecting a huge drop off for AoU's box office are going to be in for quite a surprise.

Well, I guess I wonder if their own internal tracking or whatever indicated $90 million was obtainable. Certainly, it would seem more reasonable to project $75mil.+ for this movie.

I guess I'm just having a hard time imagining Feige and the Marvel Studios crew realizing everything was there to get this to an opening weekend greater than Cap 2's.

I am thrilled it's doing so crazy well, but I am in disbelief LOL!!

Well, I guess I wonder if their own internal tracking or whatever indicated $90 million was obtainable. Certainly, it would seem more reasonable to project $75mil.+ for this movie.

I guess I'm just having a hard time imagining Feige and the Marvel Studios crew realizing everything was there to get this to an opening weekend greater than Cap.

I am thrilled it's dominos crazy well, but I am in disbelief LOL!!
Studios lowball, so if the number for some reason comes in below their expectations, they don't look disappointed. A fine example of this going wrong was Star Trek Into Darkness. They puffed their chest out with a large prediction, and they came in far below. To the point that they adjusted their numbers.

This is a hilarious post .If you don't want it to be "challenged" just get rid of it. Or is this about getting the last word? :lmao:

Mention DC out of the blue and then immediately start calling people bitter.

Troll less plz

Right now, all I'm thinking is... Avengers 3 (team-up with Guardians of the Galaxy) box office gross is going to be competing not with other movies, but with medium-sized governments.

It's a guy thing. You know how it is. It's like a challenge to your manhood.

I guess I'm just having a hard time imagining Feige and the Marvel Studios crew realizing everything was there to get this to an opening weekend greater than Cap 2's.

I am thrilled it's doing so crazy well, but I am in disbelief LOL!!

It's crazy, I felt this would do well but I never dreamed it would out perform Cap 2.

Sony is dealing with franchise fatigue, and Marvel is still going strong off of Avengers. I'm not sure that Marvel won't be in the same place Sony is after 5 Avengers films.
Marvel is TEN films in now though. And no signs of fatigue. That's pretty awesome.

Right now, all I'm thinking is... Avengers 3 (team-up with Guardians of the Galaxy) box office gross is going to be competing not with other movies, but with medium-sized governments.

The Avengers effectx2 = Mind.Blown.

All I know is I NEED IT NOW! I'm mega-hyped for AoU and all, but if I could leap-frog it in time and get to TA3 right now (or hell, even just get to a year before it) I'd do it in a heartbeat.

If Finke's tracking is anywhere close to accurate then the odds are GotG will repeat at #1 next weekend.

Last edited:
"I didn't bring it up, I just tried to stoke up the flames."

There are other threads for that mess. This isn't one of them.
No, that is what the original post was doing. Also, great job at changing the goal post after realizing your original point was clearly wrong. :woot:

It's crazy, I felt this would do well but I never dreamed it would out perform Cap 2.
It might end up right on TWS number. It is going to be close. A couple weeks more of summer vacation where I live for the kids as well.

Marvel is TEN films in now though. And no signs of fatigue. That's pretty awesome.
That is the method to Marvel's madness. It isn't 10 movies into a franchise. It is a 1 or 2 into multiple franchises. That is what is keeping it so fresh right now. Iron Man is the only franchise on #3 as we speak. Now GotG is brand spanking new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"