The Dark Knight Eckhart Speaks! (Again)

Miranda Fox

Haters to the Left.
Reaction score
http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1553188/20070225/story.jhtml

Sorry, it won't let me copy and paste, but it's great stuff!

EDIT: He let slip something quite big - Harvey does stay Harvey for TDK. Yes, I know what Goyer said way back when but recently there's been a *lot* of rumour that Two-Face would show up towards the end.

So, that settles that.

EDITED AGAIN: Here's the text of the interview, courtesy of Anjow on the BOF forums:

Batman Villain Two-Face Speaks: Eckhart Reveals 'Dark Knight' Details

Will Two-Face show his bad side in 'The Dark Knight'? Bruce Wayne's frienemy may have said too much.

By Shawn Adler

SANTA MONICA, California — Two-Face may have a horribly scarred visage, but recently confirmed star Aaron Eckhart was all smiles as he discussed his plans for Harvey Dent in "The Dark Knight," Christopher Nolan's sequel to the hit "Batman Begins."

"I am excited. Christopher Nolan is an amazing director," Eckhart told MTV News. "It's another movie that's a dream come true."

Most villains have a hidden alter ego — Harvey Dent sports his in plain view as the twisted and deformed Two-Face, enemy to Batman and terror of Gotham City (see "Aaron Eckhart Likely To Be Batman Frienemy Two-Face In 'Dark Knight'" .

Gotham City's youngest-ever district attorney, Harvey Dent, is permanently scarred when a criminal throws sulfuric acid in his face, resulting in a burn that leaves the entire left side of his body mutilated beyond repair.

Unable to cope with his deformity, Dent's long-repressed anger surfaces, creating a split personality and a battle for his overall instincts. On one side lies the good Harvey Dent, friend to Bruce Wayne. On the other, Two-Face, master criminal and enemy to Batman. Tommy Lee Jones most recently portrayed the villain in 1995's "Batman Forever."

According to Eckhart, it's a dichotomy and depth of character that matches Bruce Wayne's own transformation from millionaire playboy to crime-fighting vigilante (see " 'Dark Knight' Script Picks Up Right Where 'Batman Begins' Left Off" .

"Batman is a complex character, and Two-Face comes a little bit from the same world," Eckhart insisted. "But [at the same time] he's apart from it."

Eckhart reported that the key to playing Two-Face, then, is finding specifically how he mirrors — and where he differs — from the Caped Crusader.

"I'm looking for the tension between the two, the similarities between the two," Eckhart said of his portrayal. "I want to find what's similar to Batman and then find what's opposite to him."

Two-Face flips a coin to decide how he's going to act. But will Eckhart even get the chance? Rumors persist that Eckhart's role as Dent will set him up as the main villain in the series' third installment, with his disfigurement coming toward the end of the second film.

Is Eckhart exclusively Harvey Dent in "The Dark Knight"?

"Yeah," Eckhart said, before reconsidering after a brief pause, "Well, I'm Harvey Dent ... then I go into Harvey Two-Face."

And what of speculation that, in this new installment, it's going to be the Joker (played by Heath Ledger) who scars the eager district attorney?

"I think I'll be killed [if I comment on that] — I'm not even sure I can say as much as I have," Eckhart joked as a wicked, Dent-ian smile broke across his face. "There are snipers looking at me right now!

"I'm looking forward to going to London and Chicago to shoot [the film]," the "Thank You for Smoking" star added.

Fans will have a long time to look forward to Eckhart's portrayal — "The Dark Knight" opens in the summer of 2008.

Awesome!

Sounds like Dent may get scarred at the end of this one after all! :up:

Also, Eckhart knows his stuff, but using the name "Harvey Two-Face" gave me flashbacks from Batman Forever. :(

But, apart from that unfortunate combination of names, the interview was awesome. :up:

Damn, was hoping we'd get a cliffhanger ending.

P.S. What is it with every publication ruining the Harvey scarring incident? It should be left as a surprise. :o

Awesome!

Sounds like Dent may get scarred at the end of this one after all! :up:

I kinda took what he said to be the opposite.

Also, Eckhart knows his stuff, but using the name "Harvey Two-Face" gave me flashbacks from Batman Forever. :(

Well, FWIW, Eckhart gets the character better than TLJ ever did.

But, apart from that unfortunate combination of names, the interview was awesome. :up:

So agreed! He really seems to be getting into this role already.

Maybe he doesn't adopt the Two-Face persona during the movie, but we may see what he looks like post-acid. That's what I think anyways.

nice article. great to see that Eckhart is looking forward to this role :yay:

I sense a script review this upcoming week:confused: Anyways excellent review:up:

rats Miranda. Thought I had scooped this one all by myself. lol, i was just about to post it here and saw your thread. But gracias and props for crediting me with the text.

Regardless..........THIS IS AWSOME! I'm as giddy as a school boy right now!

rats Miranda. Thought I had scooped this one all by myself. lol, i was just about to post it here and saw your thread. But gracias and props for crediting me with the text.

Regardless..........THIS IS AWSOME! I'm as giddy as a school boy right now!

Heh, I know. I loved how he recognised the parallels between Harvey and Batman.

I have a feeling Eckhart is going to knock this one out the park. Can't wait to see his take on harvey and Two-Face.

Great article, Eckhart seems excited playing Dent and studying what makes Dent tick...good stuff. Thanks for posting M. Fox.

I kinda took what he said to be the opposite.

The part that got me was after he says "yeah," he pauses to reconsider and says, 'well, I'm Harvey Dent, then I got into Harvey Two-Face." That made me wonder, "wait, so which is it," you know?
Well, FWIW, Eckhart gets the character better than TLJ ever did.

Oh yeah, that's apparent. I'm also sure that Jonah Nolan can write a script that makes Batman Forever look like, well... Batman Forever. :o

So agreed! He really seems to be getting into this role already.

Amen. :up:

"'well, I'm Harvey Dent, then I got into Harvey Two-Face"

hmmmm that has me thinking it will be alot like the animated series type of two-face...

wonder if dent may snap under pressure or something... setting up his personality split...

"'well, I'm Harvey Dent, then I got into Harvey Two-Face"

hmmmm that has me thinking it will be alot like the animated series type of two-face...

wonder if dent may snap under pressure or something... setting up his personality split...

That's a possibility, too. :up:

Wow, even when that statement seemed obvious, you guys managed to spin it into 3 different meanings. Bravo. :o

Wow, Eckhart couldn't be a better choice. He knows the role, he seems to love the role, he's looking forward to Nolan, and he's even commented on trying to be opposite to Bale and his Bruce/Batman. What more could you ask for? If scripted properly, we may get a perfect incarnation of Harvey Dent and hopefully in the future, Two-Face, as long as zebra striped suits aren't included. :)

I see nothing that says he actually gets the character.

"He's from the same world...but apart from it"?

K.

Wow, even when that statement seemed obvious, you guys managed to spin it into 3 different meanings. Bravo. :o

What was obvious about it? He said, "Yeah," and then said, "Well... I'm Harvey, but then I'm Two-Face."

That's clear as muddy water.

That's "I voted for it before I voted against it" territory. :dry:

I see nothing that says he actually gets the character.

"He's from the same world...but apart from it"?

K.

That statement is quite clear, IMO. That's, "he's against crime, like Batman; he's a dual personality, like Batman; but he's evil, where Batman is decidedly not."

What was obvious about it? He said, "Yeah," and then said, "Well... I'm Harvey, but then I'm Two-Face."

That's clear as muddy water.

That's "I voted for it before I voted against it" territory. :dry:
I'd say it's pretty clear he spoke too soon. The article states he says, "Yeah", reconsiders for a moment, THEN says the whole "Harvey than Two-Face" thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"