Ed Norton is doing the motion capture for The Hulk!

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
Now that is cool. This might be old news to everyone else but in all the Hulk news I don't remember ever reading this before. I remember the DVD extra's on the 2003 Hulk film where Ang Lee did the motion capture and I really liked how the director was so involved, but it's even more impressive that Ed Norton is doing this.

http://icscotland.icnetwork.co.uk/w...objectid=20001164&siteid=50141-name_page.html

MOVIE PREVIEW: The Incredible Hulk (2008) By Richard Mooney
Hulk Smash and Bash!

D17EDA59-E4A1-5981-8CEB193963F79DE9.jpg
Let’s face it; Ang Lee’s rendition of the Hulk in 2003 was a brave attempt to re-interpret the comic book mythos as a study of the human psychological state. It drew on influence from ancient Greece, Shakespeare, Frankenstein….and, well, it blew.
It wasn’t just bad, it was really bad. Some critics praised it as ‘touching’ and as a very ‘human’ super hero movie. However as fans of the Hulk know Bruce Banner is no fluffy, little bunny: he’s big, he’s green and he’s mean.
This is the guy who could (possibly) pulverise Superman, this is the most unpredictable character in comic book history and this is the guy who had one of the coolest TV shows from the 1980s. So why on Earth has it taken until now to get a cast and story that has the potential to make a movie worthy of this mammoth franchise?
I know what you’re thinking, what about the 2003 cast and story? Sure it had the potential to be great, but it was a dire, boring mess with great special effects.​

So the new movie, due for world wide release on June 13 2008, features a whole new cast and is a rebooted sequel to the 2003 original. What ‘rebooted sequel’ means in layman’s terms is that they will be continuing on with some fundamental story elements from the first movie (i.e. Hulk’s origin, Bruce Banner’s struggle for control, the love story between Banner and Betty Ross) and totally discarding the rest.

Fight Club star Edward Norton plays Bruce Banner this time around and we find him on the run from the US military. Trying desperately to avoid General Thunderbolt Ross (William Hurt) and cut off his lover Betty Ross (Liv Tyler) Banner is doing everything he can to cure his ‘condition’.

Tim Roth plays villain Emil Blonsky aka ‘The Abomination’, a character who is turned into a monster very similar to the Hulk, with three major differences: he’s stronger, he keeps his normal state of mind and he can’t revert back to his human form.

Academy Award winning visual effects studio Rhythm and Hues has been brought in by director Louis Leterrier to do the CGI for the movie. Ed Norton has also stated that he will be performing the motion capture for the Hulk, so (hopefully) we can expect action of epic proportions. An epic slugfest between the Hulk and Abomination, not to mention the possibility of military robots fighting the Hulk and a whole plethora of sequences could be explored.

With a budget of over 100 million dollars and a strong cast, this definitely has the potential to finally to the big green giant some justice.

Let’s just try not to make him angry, okay?​

Very cool, something that bothered me a bit about Bana was him not doing the mo-cap. Ang Lee did a great job, but dude, body language is part of acting performance! It´s not like you had to do all your own stunts or something!

Cool that he is, but wouldn't bother me one but if he didn't. Hulk doesn't need to, and really shouldn't, move like Banner.

Cool that he is, but wouldn't bother me one but if he didn't. Hulk doesn't need to, and really shouldn't, move like Banner.

Depends, Hulk represents a different side of Banner´s personality (the one he avoids to publically display), but he´s supposed to still be there in some ways.

Cool, l hope he does a curb stomp on the Abomination :oldrazz:

Seriously, I think it's awesome he's really getting into this role, first RDJ says he's doing the mo-cap for Iron Man, now this, great to hear :up:

Good news, hopefully they use his facial expressions as well.

An epic slugfest between the Hulk and Abomination, not to mention the possibility of military robots fighting the Hulk and a whole plethora of sequences could be explored.

Yes it's good news but Norton said he was doing the motion capture at Comic-Con.

But the part I have bolded in the quote interests me. If they do have robots it is gonna be awesome!

Yes it's good news but Norton said he was doing the motion capture at Comic-Con.

But the part I have bolded in the quote interests me. If they do have robots it is gonna be awesome!

He did? At the panel? Hell I must have missed that...I was there.

Sounds good to me.

Norton being this involved with the project gives one high hopes for sure. :up:

He did? At the panel? Hell I must have missed that...I was there.

Yep he said it. Look on YouTube and you'll find it.

Norton said that when he joined the project he asked what would happen to him when Hulk pops up and that is when he was told he can play both halfs in the movie; Banner and Hulk.

Norton said that when he joined the project he asked what would happen to him when Hulk pops up and that is when he was told he can play both halfs in the movie; Banner and Hulk.

He did say that. He wasn't clear that the motion capture was what he was talking about, but I guess so.

Its the Hulkbusters you see in the video game sorta.

Fantastic news all around.

"Tim Roth plays villain Emil Blonsky aka ‘The Abomination’, a character who is turned into a monster very similar to the Hulk, with three major differences: he’s stronger, he keeps his normal state of mind and he can’t revert back to his human form."

I love it.:woot:

"Academy Award winning visual effects studio Rhythm and Hues has been brought in by director Louis Leterrier to do the CGI for the movie. Ed Norton has also stated that he will be performing the motion capture for the Hulk, so (hopefully) we can expect action of epic proportions. An epic slugfest between the Hulk and Abomination, not to mention the possibility of military robots fighting the Hulk and a whole plethora of sequences could be explored."

Cool Mandroids!:word: Ang did a good job making the movements of the Hulk in the first movie, but I think he should have let Bana do the performance.

I'm not really concerned too much on WHO does the motion capture as long as they capture the body language of the HULK we all know and love...

I'm sure this is being really anal but: IT REALLY BOTHERED ME IN THE SCENE WHERE HULK BROKE OUT OF THE WATER CHAMBER AND DID THE GROWL. He put his elbows in to his sides and fists out and up when it CLEARLY should've been the typical HULK bicep pump like in the TV show except it would've interpretted better to the monster CGI HULK... Fists in toward each other with the neck sticking out with a growl.

Ang also failed to have big enough movements. HULK would be more decisive power moves not the quick smashes that Ang did. Such as the dessert scene when he pummels the tanks. That was a great scene but there were little nuiances that failed to make it look like HULK moves. It should've been LONG drawn out moves that resulted in heavier damage like when he took the barrel and smashed the tank with it.

Anyway, I could go on all day... I just hope he puts some study into HULK's BIG moves from the comics.

Its the Hulkbusters you see in the video game sorta.

Which game? If it is Ultimate Destruction then I dunno what you are talking about cos I haven't played it.

Do you just mean that there are not going to be soldiers in robot suits shooting missiles at Hulk?

Ahhhh they'll probably be somehow using his voice for The Hulk too enhanced somehow

I'm not really concerned too much on WHO does the motion capture as long as they capture the body language of the HULK we all know and love...

I'm sure this is being really anal but: IT REALLY BOTHERED ME IN THE SCENE WHERE HULK BROKE OUT OF THE WATER CHAMBER AND DID THE GROWL. He put his elbows in to his sides and fists out and up when it CLEARLY should've been the typical HULK bicep pump like in the TV show except it would've interpretted better to the monster CGI HULK... Fists in toward each other with the neck sticking out with a growl.

Ang also failed to have big enough movements. HULK would be more decisive power moves not the quick smashes that Ang did. Such as the dessert scene when he pummels the tanks. That was a great scene but there were little nuiances that failed to make it look like HULK moves. It should've been LONG drawn out moves that resulted in heavier damage like when he took the barrel and smashed the tank with it.

Anyway, I could go on all day... I just hope he puts some study into HULK's BIG moves from the comics.
I hear you, one thing always bothered me about the first Hulk and it was his voice, basically it was very weak and it just seemed so out of place when he would growl, its like he becomes this raging green bohemoth:hulk: but you keep Banners voice, it just took me out of the movie hopefully this Hulk actually has a pair and has some base in his voice. I always thought his voice should be powerful to the ponit when he got angry you could hear it for miles.

I hear you, one thing always bothered me about the first Hulk and it was his voice, basically it was very weak and it just seemed so out of place when he would growl, its like he becomes this raging green bohemoth:hulk: but you keep Banners voice, it just took me out of the movie hopefully this Hulk actually has a pair and has some base in his voice. I always thought his voice should be powerful to the ponit when he got angry you could hear it for miles.

One of the cool things about the TV show was Ted Cassidy's awesome voice-work. The man had an amazingly low, gravely voice that suited the Hulk to a 'T' without much tech manipulation. Ken Johnson says Ted's voice seemed to come "from the center of the Earth."

If the sound design guys behind TIH can give the new Hulk's voice that kind of deeply-pitched level of power, then it'll be a huge step in the right direction; whether Hulk just roars, or actually talks. The wimpy voice he had in Ang's film literally made me cringe.

This is the guy who could (possibly) pulverise Superman, this is the most unpredictable character in comic book history and this is the guy who had one of the coolest TV shows from the 1980s. So why on Earth has it taken until now to get a cast and story that has the potential to make a movie worthy of this mammoth franchise?
I hope he is talking about the cartoon or something because if he's talking about the live action TV show that goes against everything else in this article.

I like the idea of Norton doing the motion capture. I trust him until proven otherwise.

The live action show was a great TV show and we already know the "man on the run trying to find a cure" scenerio is being used from this.

The live action show was a great TV show and we already know the "man on the run trying to find a cure" scenerio is being used from this.
I have to think you are throwing around the "great" word a little carelessly here. Was it really a "great TV show"? I would have a hard time placing it in the top 5,000 TV shows ever. (arbitrary number)

But in describing the Hulk as a potential match for Superman and one of the most unpredictable characters in history, that doesn't bring to mind the David Banner live action show. The Hulk was very predictable on that show. He showed up, flexed and growled, and through great effort strained to break some balsa wood props or lift an extra large pizza. ;)

Yes for it's time it was a great TV show. Watching it now is a bit harsh but back then considering the technology and the time period...it was the best they could do. I enjoyed it. It was well written, the characters were deep, etc...Was it like the comic...no not at all. However that is part of the Hullk's history. The comic books are NOT the only source. The TV show is source material as well. Regarding predictable yeah the charater in the TV show wasn't a raging monster smashing things and saying Hulk Smash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"