Edward Norton NOT retuirning as the Hulk

El Payaso

Avenger
Reaction score
Apparently he's not coming back.

Edward Norton Not Returning as The Hulk
10 July 2010

It seems like the role can’t have a permanent actor to portray
Marvel Comics has confirmed that Edward Norton will no longer player the role of The Incredible Hulk in the film The Avengers set for release on May 4, 2012.
The film will feature actors from previous and future installments of Marvel Cinematic Universe film adaptations. This will include Robert Downey, Jr. as Iron Man, Don Cheadle as War Machine, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Tom Hiddleston as Loki, Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, Chris Evans as Captain America and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.
“We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers,” said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. He insisted that the decision is not based financially but on the ides of casting an actor who will have a “collaborative spirit” like that of the other cast members (who are mentioned above). He said that they are looking forward in announcing who will officially portray The Hulk in the coming weeks.
Norton portrayed Bruce Banner in The Incredible Hulk in 2008, a reboot from the film Hulk in 2003, which starred Eric Bana.

Read more: http://dailycontributor.com/edward-norton-not-returning-as-the-hulk/16943/#ixzz0tM50UZy1
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial

not a bad thing

We'll see how this plays out, Marvel will probably try to get him back.

I love Norton, but if he's going to be a drag on the production they don't have much choice.

I love Norton, but if he's going to be a drag on the production they don't have much choice.

The idea Marvel seems to be pushing is that Norton wouldn't be a team player, but I just don't believe that. I think he'd have been as cooperative as necessary to be involved.

This could also be a sign that possibly the Avengers script sucks. Norton is known as a good screen writer. He re-wrote TIH from what i understood, was a piece of turd on paper. The fact that they are getting rid of him might suggest; he read the script, it sucked story-wise, he wanted to help fix it, and the egos at Marvel decided to put their foot down, and rail road him behind it.

This could also be a sign that possibly the Avengers script sucks. Norton is known as a good screen writer. He re-wrote TIH from what i understood, was a piece of turd on paper. The fact that they are getting rid of him might suggest; he read the script, it sucked story-wise, he wanted to help fix it, and the egos at Marvel decided to put their foot down, and rail road him behind it.
Although it's not official yet and there's a small chance he will sign up if he doesn't then I can imagine this being the reason. He's obviously a fan of the character and wants this to succeed otherwise he wouldn't still be in negotiations trying to do the part.

Don't even include Dr. Banner.
Just have a CG Hulk for the whole movie.
Hulk is out in the desert or something, and is contacted (manipulated by Loki) and goes after the Avengers. He fights the Avengers (still manipulated by Loki) then turns and helps the Avengers fight Loki when he figures out he is being manipulated. Then he leaves, rejecting their offer to join, and is gone without ever turning back to his human form.
This version of the Hulk could be slightly smarter too, enough to talk is short sentences anyway.
Hulk mad! Hulk hate Horned Man (Loki)! Hulk hate being used! Hulk want to be left alone. Hulk will smash you! Get out of Hulks way!
Stuff like that.
He is now known well enough that the audience who doesn't read Hulk comics knows who he is. So there is no need to establish him and Dr. Banner. And he wont be the focus of the movie, then all they have to do is voice cast the Hulk.

Norton is Bruce Banner and the Hulk as far as i'm concerned.

The idea Marvel seems to be pushing is that Norton wouldn't be a team player, but I just don't believe that. I think he'd have been as cooperative as necessary to be involved.

Maybe, there's really no reason not to believe Marvel though. I doubt it's the amount of money he wants based on other roles he's taken. It's more likely he just wants more screen time.

Or Marvel is satisfied with the size of Norton's role, and Norton isn't. I enjoyed TIH, but it certainly isn't much more than an average script. I'll take Whedon's rewrite.

Feige sounds like he got burned by Norton. Its no secret that Norton likes to hijack projects. It certainly sounds like Feige doesnt trust him to come in and do his job as the studios vision fits. When it comes to stuff like American History X I get Norton's passion, but the Avengers project is going to need equal amounts of administrative creativity as well as artistic.

I don't care what they say, it was all about money. Oh well, waiting on BB#3.

Edward Norton WAS Bruce Banner, and now the Hulk franchise is going down the tubes YET again due to this crap. Granted, none of us REALLY know what went on between the two parties to cause all of this "bad blood", but the bottom line is- we the fans get screwed once again. Edward Norton is an A-List actor, and it sucks that he will no longer be apart of the Hulk franchise, because with him on-board, the movies were only going to get much better.

Were people really that impressed with Norton in TIH? I thought it was easily one of his weakest performances (which in comparison is still better than most) but hardly irreplaceable. I would have liked Norton to stay for continuity sakes and I think he would have had great chemistry with RDJ and SLJ, but I wont be losing sleep.

Were people really that impressed with Norton in TIH? I thought it was easily one of his weakest performances (which in comparison is still better than most) but hardly irreplaceable. I would have liked Norton to stay for continuity sakes and I think he would have had great chemistry with RDJ and SLJ, but I wont be losing sleep.

I thought Norton was the best Bruce Banner I have ever seen. I thought it was much better than RDJ. (I'm not dissing Iron Man or RDJ by any means, I love Iron Man and Iron Man 2.) It seems Marvel cares less about their own continuity now though.

Being the best Bruce Banner when theres been like 3 doesnt say much. I still think Norton sleepwalked through most of Hulk

Being the best Bruce Banner when theres been like 3 doesnt say much. I still think Norton sleepwalked through most of Hulk

thank you, he was better in a movie he apparently hated being in, The Italian Job. Norton was himself in TIH and the script wasnt better than your average summer movie anyway, then again, that probably had something to do with Marvel rushing the movie.

thank you, he was better in a movie he apparently hated being in, The Italian Job. Norton was himself in TIH and the script wasnt better than your average summer movie anyway, then again, that probably had something to do with Marvel rushing the movie.

I agree with you.

Norton's performance was nothing special but it was still a good performance in my opinion.

Marvel made a mess of TIH and now it seems they have no problem screwing over their own possible TIH franchise!

Joe Carnahan said Marvel had ideas for The Avengers to kill off any possibility of TIH sequels and a franchise! I don't understand why Marvel would do that to any of their characters!

I agree with you.

Norton's performance was nothing special but it was still a good performance in my opinion.

Marvel made a mess of TIH and now it seems they have no problem screwing over their own possible TIH franchise!

Joe Carnahan said Marvel had ideas for The Avengers to kill off any possibility of TIH sequels and a franchise! I don't understand why Marvel would do that to any of their characters!

Well, its still Norton. It could have been miles worse than what it was.

I guess the best way to say it is "What I saw was a good portrayal of the character, but certainly not a definitive portrayal"

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"