Elden Ring

I've been watching some Twitch streams playing this & I'm getting tempted to buying it.

Outside of Dark Souls, which I've never played, are there any other games that Elden Ring is similar/more difficult version of that I might have played purely from a combat perspective?

I'm thinking along the lines of Shadow of Mordor, Batman Arkham games etc which would probably be the closest that I've played & yet I realise they're not really alike.

I dumped points into health and stamina early for my Vanguard. But now that my stamina is high enough to fast roll with a shield and greatsword, it's been all damage all the way haha. When you level up your flasks, health starts to feel less important than stamina for dodging anyway.

What I wanna do, and what I've seen people do from some videos is invest a lot into all 3 bars. Red, blue, and green. Some of the legendary weapon skills I've seen are beautiful, and I want a piece.

I've been watching some Twitch streams playing this & I'm getting tempted to buying it.

Outside of Dark Souls, which I've never played, are there any other games that Elden Ring is similar/more difficult version of that I might have played purely from a combat perspective?

I'm thinking along the lines of Shadow of Mordor, Batman Arkham games etc which would probably be the closest that I've played & yet I realise they're not really alike.

Probably closer to Breath of the Wild. Combat is relatively simple and the "difficulty" is mostly based on the principle of avoiding hits but doing heavy damage yourself.

I must say though, as challenging as this game is, if you go off and explore and build your character up in other side activities, you become pretty powerful. I think most of the challenging foes you come across are enemies you're probably not meant to fight until you're a higher level anyway?

Except that some of the games they are making aren't really better. And the companies they represent have not been building sterling records of late.

I think the main issue is, it's not about better it's about different, which is the point I've seen several devs make. E.g. Something like Horizon Forgotten Wilds isn't catering to the same hardcore audience as Elden Ring. Yes ER does plenty of awesome stuff but that doesn't mean every single thing is transferable to every game. But I'm still seeing plenty of people trying to compare Elden Ring to other main stream games as though it's the second coming of Christ haha.

I wish people could just be chill and enjoy things in a normal way. Totally fair play to critique a game or a company, but i've seen devs getting attacked personally for offering thoughtful game critique and it's pretty boring.

What I wanna do, and what I've seen people do from some videos is invest a lot into all 3 bars. Red, blue, and green. Some of the legendary weapon skills I've seen are beautiful, and I want a piece.
Just keep in mind to invest in the appropriate stats to use those weapons!

While there is a respec option that you can unlock, it's usually better to pick a specific weapon or weapon type that you want to focus on and invest points into the stats to use the weapon. While you are certainly free to spread out your points across whatever stats you want, and free to try out whatever weapons you want, the more spread out your stats, the less optimal your damage output will be.

I dumped points into health and stamina early for my Vanguard. But now that my stamina is high enough to fast roll with a shield and greatsword, it's been all damage all the way haha. When you level up your flasks, health starts to feel less important than stamina for dodging anyway.
Plus your endurance stat also governs your equip load, which you need to wear the cool-looking armor that you want, while still being able to fast/med roll!

Kind of wished they had kept strength as the stat that dictates equip load, or at least make strength a secondary contributor to equip load, with endurance being the primary stat.

What builds are you all using? What have you been investing in with upgrades? Health, magic, stamina?
I'm running an Intelligence/Dex hybrid "battle mage" build, with Int being my main damage attribute. Started out as the Astrologer (Mage) class.

Got Strength (16) and Dex (18) up to the minimum needed to wield Moonveil katana and eventually the Dark Moon Greatsword. Once I get my Int (currently 32) up to 38 to wield the Moonlight Great Sword, I'll focus on raising my Vigor for hp, Mind for fp, and Endurance for stamina. Then I'll circle back to raise Int up to 60 and maybe put more into Dex if needed.

Right now, I just reached level 60 after clearing the 2nd boss (Rennala) and starting Ranni's questline for the Dark Moon Greatsword. Not sure where I am progress wise, but I'm pretty sure I am way less than halfway done with the game.....haha.

For perspective and comparison sake, when I played Demon's Souls Remake, by the time I reached level 60, I was nearly 3/4 done with the game and my endgame level was usually around 70-80.

So, yeah, my end level is going to be WAY higher in Elden Ring, that's for sure......lol!

Last edited:
Just keep in mind to invest in the appropriate stats to use those weapons!

While there is a respec option that you can unlock, it's usually better to pick a specific weapon or weapon type that you want to focus on and invest points into the stats to use the weapon. While you are certainly free to spread out your points across whatever stats you want, and free to try out whatever weapons you want, the more spread out your stats, the less optimal your damage output will be.

Is it possible to max out all stats? I have been checking out guides to farm millions of runes, is there a hard cap on each category?

Seems to do with the fact the game is relatively unguided. Which is my only hang up at the moment. But in the end, it will become second nature the more I play it.

Good. Not every game has to hold your hand and guide you through every little thing.

Is it possible to max out all stats? I have been checking out guides to farm millions of runes, is there a hard cap on each category?
Hardcap is 99, I believe.

So yeah, theoretically it's possible to max out all stats. It will just get harder to do as you level up, since each level requires higher and higher runes.

Also, if you max out everything, then, imo, it's no fun....haha! But you can do it if you want to.

Probably closer to Breath of the Wild. Combat is relatively simple and the "difficulty" is mostly based on the principle of avoiding hits but doing heavy damage yourself.

I must say though, as challenging as this game is, if you go off and explore and build your character up in other side activities, you become pretty powerful. I think most of the challenging foes you come across are enemies you're probably not meant to fight until you're a higher level anyway?

From what I've seen the difficulty aspect seems more of knowing what you're up against & what they can do, but correct me if I'm wrong.

the learning curve on this is rough lol, I hate the default controls so I'm trying to see if I can modify them to be something closer to The Witcher.

From what I've seen the difficulty aspect seems more of knowing what you're up against & what they can do, but correct me if I'm wrong.

100% but to be honest, I think that's been a bigger learning curve for classic Souls players. In Souls when you encounter a tough boss, generally the idea is you fight and lose a bunch of times so you can learn the timings and patterns.

But in Elden Ring, there are loads of times when the game basically WANTS you to give up on a fight and explore somewhere else first, it just doesn't tell you. One of the first main bosses is straight up designed to stomp you until you've done some exploring and leveling.

But to be honest, while I've found this game challenging, I've never found it out and out as difficult as the Souls games. But I think you definitely have to be open to the challenging nature in general.

For me, with frequent checkpoints and closer save spots, the stakes feel a bit lower which has meant I've had way more fun taking crazy risks and experimenting with wild bosses, which I think makes the whole experience far more fun.

I think I know who you're talking about.

Haven't fought any dragons yet. But while I was exploring the lake area, I got invaded by a red phantom and a ronin NPC showed up to help. Haven't spoken to him since, though.

Yeah, I got that invasion too. Though Yura seems to disappear from his previous spot in the open world after that. I'm guessing that invasion moves on his quest line.

100% but to be honest, I think that's been a bigger learning curve for classic Souls players. In Souls when you encounter a tough boss, generally the idea is you fight and lose a bunch of times so you can learn the timings and patterns.

But in Elden Ring, there are loads of times when the game basically WANTS you to give up on a fight and explore somewhere else first, it just doesn't tell you. One of the first main bosses is straight up designed to stomp you until you've done some exploring and leveling.

But to be honest, while I've found this game challenging, I've never found it out and out as difficult as the Souls games. But I think you definitely have to be open to the challenging nature in general.

For me, with frequent checkpoints and closer save spots, the stakes feel a bit lower which has meant I've had way more fun taking crazy risks and experimenting with wild bosses, which I think makes the whole experience far more fun.

I bought the game today & I presume you're talking about Margit The Fell Omen?

I've just closed the game after he beat the piss out of me for a solid hour & I don't think I ever even got him to half health. But the time I've spent dodging all his attacks I only had enough endurance to hit him maybe once or twice, then still have enough to basically dodge out of range to recover.

I've just closed the game after he beat the piss out of me for a solid hour & I don't think I ever even got him to half health. But the time I've spent dodging all his attacks I only had enough endurance to hit him maybe once or twice, then still have enough to basically dodge out of range to recover.

Yep, exactly! That's the point where I think the game is teaching players "Some of these bosses will be too hard for you, go and explore then come back more powerful". I think that's the core loop of the whole game.

E.g. with Margit, there's a bunch of specific items and abilities found in the world that will give you a real edge in that fight (including one that specifically exists JUST for that fight). So go around and keep exploring, pick smaller targets until you reckon you can take him.

I think I was maybe level 25 or something when I did? (But that's as a melee build. Magic users might be able to do that sooner with their summons etc)

Reactions: B

Summon the NPC sorcerer at the fog barrier. And use the Rotten Stray Ashes.

Rotten Stray Ashes | Elden Ring Wiki

Margit will focus on them instead of you. The sorcerer can reduce Margit's health by almost half. And the Rotten Stray will give Margit the Blood Rot, and all you have to do is dodge until he bleeds to death.

Cannot recommend enough exploring the river near the lake too. Definitely something cool and useful to be found there that takes Margit down a peg or two.

So I’ve been playing this for a few days and really enjoying it BUT if you have issues with motion sickness, you may want to avoid this game. I personally have never had that problem before and yet I’ve found that I can only play this game for about and hour before I start to really feel dizzy. It’s something with the way the character’s movements are blurred. Not sure if this is an issue with other From Software games.

I thought maybe it was just my imagination but I looked it up and apparently other people are having this issue with ER.

Last edited:
Yep, exactly! That's the point where I think the game is teaching players "Some of these bosses will be too hard for you, go and explore then come back more powerful". I think that's the core loop of the whole game.

E.g. with Margit, there's a bunch of specific items and abilities found in the world that will give you a real edge in that fight (including one that specifically exists JUST for that fight). So go around and keep exploring, pick smaller targets until you reckon you can take him.

I think I was maybe level 25 or something when I did? (But that's as a melee build. Magic users might be able to do that sooner with their summons etc)

Cannot recommend enough exploring the river near the lake too. Definitely something cool and useful to be found there that takes Margit down a peg or two.

I don't think I've found anything of significant interest so far. I think I'm only level 20(?), I've been just riding around on my horse aimlessly fighting any sort of enemies I come across. Most of the levels I've invested have been into health & endurance to try to help me survive a little more when taking on something that doesn't die in a couple of hits or if I'm fighting multiple enemies.

That's the biggest thing I'm struggling with, the camera/lock-on doesn't do you any favours in that it always seems to be the enemy you aren't locked onto that attacks you & you end up dodging into their hit.

Is that anywhere near the giant crab?

Summon the NPC sorcerer at the fog barrier. And use the Rotten Stray Ashes.

Rotten Stray Ashes | Elden Ring Wiki

Margit will focus on them instead of you. The sorcerer can reduce Margit's health by almost half. And the Rotten Stray will give Margit the Blood Rot, and all you have to do is dodge until he bleeds to death.

Much appreciated, I'll have a little look when I play again tomorrow as I think I do need something to help me a little with the combat.

I'm at Castle Morne(?) I believe currently fighting the rat people with sling blades & their dogs. I think I've a letter to deliver to someone inside. Even it seems quite challenging at least for my level & what I have available to me.

So I’ve been playing this for a few days and really enjoying it BUT if you have issues with motion sickness, you may want to avoid this game. I personally have never had that problem before and yet I’ve found that I can only play this game for about and hour before I start to really feel dizzy. It’s something with the way the character’s movements are blurred. Not sure if this is and issue with other From Software games.

I thought maybe it was just my imagination but I looked it up and apparently other people are having this issue with ER.

It could be a combination of the high stress gameplay, depth of field, frame rate, eye strain, and motion blur just wearing gamers out. I had to take a break last night because I started feeling weird. I shrugged it off as stress and exhaustion, but it may have been motion sickness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"