Elden Ring

I've never played Dark Souls or any of the others in that family so I wouldn't know haha
I would recommend to drop by your public library and see if you can borrow video games.

Enjoying this so far, although it's still fairly brutal. The biggest game changers for me so far, as someone who bounced off previous titles, are:

• The checkpoints. Not just for bosses but enemy camps and bases too. Makes it way more rewarding to enjoy risky play knowing you can respawn right there.
  • Killing an entire cluster of enemies refills some (sometimes all) of your flasks. This was a nice surprise but again, really encourages you to take those risks knowing you can get your health back if you succeed.
  • Stealth. Being able to attempt stealth to even the odds in my favour has helped me with approaching combat.
Beyond that, just the open world in general, the sense of exploration, is really doing a LOT to help me wade through the more difficult sections.

Have there been any issues with getting this on PS4 versus PS5? I know the PS4 version of Cyberpunk has all kinds of problems so I want to make sure that if I get this one, it won’t be glitchy as hell.

Last edited:
So this game is definitely sticking for me in a way that the Souls games never did. Finally beat my first major boss tonight (an un-skippable boss that many people are saying is difficult by From Software standards?) The pure joy I felt from stomping that fool was incredible.

ok someone tell me honestly...just how difficult is this game? Cause I honestly dont want to destroy my controller and the hardest thing I've ever played was The Witcher 3 on Death March lol

I will say that so far most of the bosses that are in caverns/dungeons in Limgrave are very easy to beat. Haven't died once against any of them. The first legit boss in the game is Margit The Fell Omen but if you explore enough you will be able to purchase an item from a "special character" that allows you to easy mode that boss. The early parts of the game are clearly designed to ease newcomers into the Souls franchise but the difficulty increases as you get farther into the game.

So far really enjoying this game. Still super-early in the game (had to start over with a new character, of course). But as of this moment, it's everything that I enjoyed about Demons Souls Remake, only better.

While playing DSR, I wished for a bit more variety and "freedom" in terms of playstyle, weapons, and spells. Elden Ring has been the answer to that wish. I have a feeling this will be my GOTY, and it could very well rank among my top games of all time, up there with DSR and FFVII.

We shall see. So far so good!

Oh, and if you've been on the fence about Souls games (as I had been prior to DSR), I would recommend that you check Elden Ring out. It retains the style and challenge that are hallmarks of Souls games, while being more forgiving and "friendly" to new players.

Ok, for you new players just starting out, I found a nice little early Rune farming area.

In the starting area of Limgrave, just a bit north of the Church of Ella, you'll come across a small cave area called Groveside Cave. The main enemies in the cave are a bunch of wolves and a mini-boss who shouldn't be too difficult.

Once you defeat the boss (or I guess you don't really have to), just use the grace site in the cave to keep coming back here to farm the wolves. There's about 5 or 6 normal wolves who drop around 60 runes each. And 1 alpha wolf who drops around 90 runes. Clearing all the wolves should net you close to 500 runes per cycle, and you should be able to clear the area in under 2 minutes. And the wolves are pretty weak, especially to magic. So perfect for beginners.

For me, I found this an easy way to start farming runes to level up and buy the early equipment from the beginning area merchants. Much easier and faster, imo, than farming the soldiers near the gate grace site. Though those soldiers are also good for farming equipment and smithing stones.

Hope this helps!

Anyone else find Boc the Seamster in Limgrave? Once you get this NPC and advance his quest it will unlock the fashion tool Souls fans have always wanted.

Anyone else find Boc the Seamster in Limgrave? Once you get this NPC and advance his quest it will unlock the fashion tool Souls fans have always wanted.
Yep. Found him and completed his questline last night. Haven't had a chance to check out the tailoring option (since I don't have much good looking armor yet anyways). But it's nice to have the option available.

**** it. I was going to wait until the price came down a bit but I spend $60 on the regular for a small basket full of groceries these days so I might as well just bite the bullet and buy this game.

Last edited:
So, someone decided that they wanted a super challenge, so is playing it with the Switch Ringfit on the joycon. I would post the video of him beating the first boss, but he swears a bit at the end.

So, someone decided that they wanted a super challenge, so is playing it with the Switch Ringfit on the joycon. I would post the video of him beating the first boss, but he swears a bit at the end.
:funny:

Some people are next-level masochistic!

So far really enjoying this game. Still super-early in the game (had to start over with a new character, of course). But as of this moment, it's everything that I enjoyed about Demons Souls Remake, only better.

While playing DSR, I wished for a bit more variety and "freedom" in terms of playstyle, weapons, and spells. Elden Ring has been the answer to that wish. I have a feeling this will be my GOTY, and it could very well rank among my top games of all time, up there with DSR and FFVII.

We shall see. So far so good!

Oh, and if you've been on the fence about Souls games (as I had been prior to DSR), I would recommend that you check Elden Ring out. It retains the style and challenge that are hallmarks of Souls games, while being more forgiving and "friendly" to new players.
Glad you’re enjoying it. After what you said about Demon’s Souls I thought you’d really like this. :up:

Glad you’re enjoying it. After what you said about Demon’s Souls I thought you’d really like this. :up:
Yeah! I'm SUPER glad I decided to give Demons Souls Remake a chance when I got my PS5. And that in turn opened me up, so to speak, to these Souls game. Otherwise, I would have completely dismissed Elden Ring simply because it was another Souls/From Software game. And now I want to check out Bloodborne or wait for the oft-rumored remaster/remake. Or even check out the original Dark Souls trilogy.

Yeah I need to give Bloodborne another chance. I definitely found it a lot less frustrating than Dark Souls but it’s such a bleak game and I started it during the worst days of the pandemic and just needed to not be in that world.

So as someone who has not played DS or any of the games I'm gonna give Elden Ring a shot...

I've always been a Melee kind of guy, never liked casting, so I'm debating between a Samurai, Warrior, Vagabond or Hero...which would be a good starter character? I'm leaning Samurai (looks SICK) or Vagabond cause its balanced, but the Dual Wielding of the Warrior looks cool and the Hero looks like a tank.

Thoughts?

So is Elden Ring meant to be a standalone game or is FromSoftware hoping to start a new trilogy?

So as someone who has not played DS or any of the games I'm gonna give Elden Ring a shot...

I've always been a Melee kind of guy, never liked casting, so I'm debating between a Samurai, Warrior, Vagabond or Hero...which would be a good starter character? I'm leaning Samurai (looks SICK) or Vagabond cause its balanced, but the Dual Wielding of the Warrior looks cool and the Hero looks like a tank.

Thoughts?

I started with Vanguard and have found that pretty nice and balanced. The shield is a great thing to start with while you get used to it and the new Shield Guard ability comes in handy with so many tough enemies.

The main thing to focus on at the start I think is your characters weight load, as you'll be relying mostly on shield or rolling. Wear too much armor and you roll slower.

Two swords is cool but you're going to be doing a LOT of rolling so might be tougher until you get the hang of that.

My first DS3 playthrough was a dual wielding dex build. Think I stuck with the dual scimitars for majority of the game too. You get used to dodging and picking out light to medium armour and you get the added bonus of double damage to bosses than you would a single blade (depending on build), so I think dual wielding should provide similar results here.

There are also some nifty Wolverine blades available early on with a bleed bonus.

So is Elden Ring meant to be a standalone game or is FromSoftware hoping to start a new trilogy?

I haven't heard anything about sequels, but I could see FromSoftware carrying on this series instead of revisiting Dark Souls lore since it gives the formula a new lick of paint.

Thoughts?
If you like melee and are COMPLETELY new to the Souls games, then I would probably suggest starting with the Vagabond class. That is sort of like your typical, balanced sword-and-shield knight class.

Compared to those other classes, Vagabond also starts with a sturdier shield that blocks 100% physical damage. As a new player, you will probably be relying on blocking with your shield a lot. Especially in the early parts of the game when your character is the weakest, since it could be awhile before you find/buy a better shield in the world.

But, the beauty of these Souls games is that you are free to spec your character out how you want to over the course of the game. And I believe there is even an in-game option to respec your character, so that is helpful, too. Your class really just determines your starting stats at the beginning of the game, which makes certain playstyles easier or harder depending on what you want.

And you can also delete your characters (something sorely missing from Demons Souls Remake). So, I would encourage you to just experiment with the different classes that interest you, especially during the beginning tutorial cave area. Get a feel for what combat style suits you most and go from there. Good luck, Tarnished!

Yay! Just cleared my first "dungeon" and Trophy Boss - Castle Morne!

Seems this is more of a side quest than main quest dungeon, but it was a challenge nonetheless and pure relief when I beat the boss (after 10 tries.....lol) by the skin of my teeth!

Looks like I obtained one of the "legendary armaments," too, by defeating the boss.

Oh, and I picked up my beloved Claymore here as well. This will be my main weapon, I think, until I obtain my true mentor and guiding moonlight - the legendary Dark Moon Greatsword!

Just beat the Lake Dragon, which felt great... Until I fought Godrick for the first time and he straight up ATE me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"