Elfman vs. Young

kaijunexus

Marvel Cinematic Universe
Reaction score
I know it's probably severly old news, but I just learned that Danny Elfman will not be returning to score SM3, but will be replaced with composer Christopher Young.

First off, does anyone know what this falling out between Elfman and Raimi resulted from? And what are some examples of Young's previous work? Do you think he'll be up to par?

Christopher Young scored the first 2 Hellraiser movies. Have you ever seen those? I think he has also scored one of the A Nightmare On Elm Street movies also.

SPIDER-MAN-ROX said:
Christopher Young scored the first 2 Hellraiser movies. Have you ever seen those?

I think I saw the majority of the first one (that was with the lady without the skin, right? lol), but I don't remember the quality of the score at all...

kaijunexus said:
I think I saw the majority of the first one (that was with the lady without the skin, right? lol), but I don't remember the quality of the score at all...

I would say that there is gonna be a huge difference that will be very noticable when viewing Spider-man 3. It will likely be good, but you won't get the same feel for this one as you have the others because of this factor.
Just as long as they keep the intro the same I will be satisfied though.

It's really a shame, because Elfman's score was so epic and majestic...it very much improved an already fantastic film.

Why exactly isn't he returning?

kaijunexus said:

Man without skin in the first movie, Woman without skin in the second movie.

A piece of the Hellraiser score was already used in the scene in Spider-Man 2 were Doc-Ock first puts on the tentacles. I just hope that the same Hellraiser score isn't reworked for Venom's theme.

Apparently, Elfman didn't feel like Raimi was giving him enough freedom. Elfman wanted to play around with the music a bit, but Raimi was very attached to the music he had already created and didn't want him to change it so much. Elfman has had some pretty nasty things to say about Raimi, too.

As much as I love Elfman's music, he does seem to come off as something of a jerk. I believe the problem he had with Raimi is the same problem that caused his falling out with Tim Burton years ago. I think that says something about his attitude. Maybe he just doesn't really know his place on the filmmaking ladder. Who knows.

As for Christopher Young, I'm a little concerned. Not that I think he's a bad composer, but different composers have different sounds. And I like Elfman's sound for Spider-Man. It IS Spider-Man to me. I know they're still gonna use Elfman's themes, but I'm just not sure the new music will have the same feel.

EDIT:

Some more insight...

Quoted from Chud.com

Today the junket for The Corpse Bride junket was held in Toronto, at the Toronto Film Festival. The junket in general was short on news - Tim Burton is taking a break, Helena Bonham Carter has a few things in the hopper and Johnny Depp is still knee-deep in Captain Jack Sparrow (his mouth was full of gold teeth). But Danny Elfman dropped a surprise on me when I asked him whether Sam Raimi had told him which villains for whom to consider themes. He’s not doing Spider-Man 3, he told me. I asked why.

Elfman: Spider-Man 2 was a miserable experience.

Q: Why? Was it too fast or –

Elfman: It’s a complicated thing.

Q: Why was it complicated?

Elfman: My connection to Sam got completely severed. As far as I’m concerned, he went to sleep and somebody put a pod next to him and when he awoke, he wasn’t the same person I’ve known for a decade.

Q: Will you work with him again?

Elfman: No. He went from right there, number 2 on my list of favorite directors, to the last – to the exact opposite of everything I look for in a film experience. Everything I could do on Spider-Man 1 I couldn’t do on Spider-Man 2. He got so intensely attached to the temp music, I couldn’t even adapt my own music. I couldn’t get close enough to me.

It’s the first time I’ve ever walked from a director in twenty years, and hopefully the last time. He became intolerable. I’ve been on some heavy duty films, so to say that it had to be pretty bad. I have been in war zones you wouldn’t believe in 55 films. But this is the first time I’ve said, I’ve had it. It’s just not worth it. I would rather go back to waiting tables than to do Spider-Man 2 again.

kaijunexus said:
It's really a shame, because Elfman's score was so epic and majestic...it very much improved an already fantastic film.

Why exactly isn't he returning?

Actually Chris Young's score can be heard in Spider-man 2 durring the train battle. This is what caused the shakeup between Elfman and Raimi.

Raimi had a temp track using Chris Young's Hellraiser score durring the fight. He brought it to Elfman and said, "this is what it should sound like". Because of Sam's commitments on the set, he could not get together with Elfman to direct him for what he wanted. Elfman came back, and Raimi didn't like it, so Elfman went back again and rescored the scenes.

After a second attempt Raimi still didn't like what he heard, Elfman had other commitments and wouldn't rescore it again. So Raimi went out and hired Chris Young to get him to rescore the passage using the Hellraiser track, reworked to fit the train sequence.

Well I do like the music during the train fight, so I guess I really have nothing to complain about. Heh.

cant wait to hear it, and yes ur right elfman is the best

I secretly caused that fight between Sam Raimi and Danny Elfman, lol. :D

SpiderB said:
Elfman: My connection to Sam got completely severed. As far as I’m concerned, he went to sleep and somebody put a pod next to him and when he awoke, he wasn’t the same person I’ve known for a decade.

woah...bitter...:eek:

too bad we won't get the same composer - it would have been nice for consistency...

chaseter said:
Elfman is the best.

No, apparently only Elfman's music is the best. Elfman the person seems to be a complete *****ebag.

As long as they keep the main Spidey theme, then I don't care what they do. I mean they have to... it's too friggin' good, plus I want the films to stay consistent with each other.

Young can variate whatever the hell he wants from there on out and I trust that his original compisitions will be fine as well. He's good.

I don't get what the BIG deal is with Elfman?!

I mean every Spider-man Movie has barely scratched the surface of great music.

There are hints of greatness every now and then, but on the whole it is VERY average and in some ways sub-par!!!

The Batman score is one the all time greats, but other than that, Elfman is a composer that leaves something to be desired.

I want a new spider-man theme.

Hanz Zimmer, James Newton Howard, James Horner, or even John Williams (in his old age slump) are FAR superior to Elfman. IN EVERY WAY.

FRESH BLOOD WILL BE A GREAT IMPROVEMENT no matter who they get.

I want a soundtrack that people will love SO much that a person that doesn't watch the movies would by the soundtrack just to listen to.

Now we will probably get the same music from the first ones but maybe the arrangements will feel better.

kaijunexus said:
No, apparently only Elfman's music is the best. Elfman the person seems to be a complete *****ebag.
The question above was whose music is better...Elfman or Young. I choose Elfman...nearly all his scores are memorable and he has done a lot.

chaseter said:
The question above was whose music is better...Elfman or Young. I choose Elfman...nearly all his scores are memorable and he has done a lot.

I know. I was just commenting on Elfman's character.

i thought the title of the thread was a bill for celebrity boxing...i am sorely dissapointed.

Side note to young :Elfman's gunna Kill You, Danny's gunna choke a B....

/rant :)

I also wanted to know why Elfman left. I just read the reason and it sucks. His music was great. I'm worried about the score.

I would like to see what John Powell would do. He did the music in X-Men The Last Stand. Good music there.:up:

Young portrays more deeper horror movies right? Maybe this will come as an advantage to us.... Deeper, darker Venom, Sandman and fighting sound effects...:spidey:

well the music will be the same. since elfman left because raimi didnt want to change it. so dont expect something new since this is why he isnt the composer anymore.

they still gonna uses Elfmans spider-man theme, so everything else can be changed anways.

There may be a substantial difference between the two composers Scores. But as Young has worked with Elfman on the previous scores for the previous films its possible that the new score will be of the same trend and style.

webhead731 said:
I also wanted to know why Elfman left. I just read the reason and it sucks. His music was great. I'm worried about the score.

I would like to see what John Powell would do. He did the music in X-Men The Last Stand. Good music there.:up:
:up:

I'm listening to Dark Phoenix's Tragedy right now in fact...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"