• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Spike Lee To Direct 'Oldboy' remake

Spielberg dropped out because of a lawsuit going on with the original which was affecting thos one getting made. Is it seeing a wide release, hard to call it a bomb when it only debuts in 583 screens

Variety reported that it's not going to get a wide release expansion. The movie is essentially DOA.

I don't know, I also read that the Korean production company Mandate couldn't come to terms with Spielberg and Smith. So I mean, that tells me they didn't see eye to eye on what they wanted to do.

Last edited:
I'm in the boat of 'tolerating' subtitles. I love Fellini's work and Kurosawa's work, but I'd certainly prefer something in my own language and I even watch Rashomon occasionally with the English dub.

Why? Because most subtitles are against the nature of film. The directors of foreign films do not make the film with the mindset that their audience will be reading subtitles. It can be complicated to read the words while examining performances and camera movement and shot selection. It really is a half-baked experience because half of my mind is focused on just reading, while the other half is actually experiencing the film. I say most subtitles because some films, say Inglorious Basterds for instance, Tarantino KNOWS most of his audience is going to read the subtitles in the scenes with subtitles. Those scenes, during dialogue, are much more tame in camera movement ex. because he KNOWS his audience is also reading dialogue. This is not how foreign directors go about making their films, nor should it be. They should simply make the films they want to make for the audiences they want to make it for. However, it doesn't make subtitles any less frustrating, which IMO is why Hollywood remakes of foreign films are a good idea IN PRINCIPLE, even if some of them end up sucking.

I understand your frustration but at the same time the rest of the world seems to get by just fine consuming our media with subtitles. There's the occasional remake of English films but it happens quite rarely.

I understand your frustration but at the same time the rest of the world seems to get by just fine consuming our media with subtitles. There's the occasional remake of English films but it happens quite rarely.

If they want to remake English films...go right ahead. I think they should for the same reason: So their viewers won't get a half-baked experience.

Basically, I think its kind of stupid to not watch a film all together because of subtitles, but I also think most films are intended to be viewed without subtitles, leading to the idea of remakes for different cultures(whether it being Hollywood remaking foreign films, or foreign markets remaking Hollywood films), as a perfectly good practice. Yeah there are some pretty horrid remakes, but it is just like all filmmaking, some will be good and some will be bad. If we're going to cry about foreign remakes and want to get rid of them because some are bad, should we start to ban crime films because Pain and Gain was awful?

But I don't think film should be dubbed either.

While it should be noted yes it can be distracting with subtitles there is a beauty to hearing the foreign languages being spoke.

Also foreign movies have difference sensibilities that we don't find here in American films. Even an action movie like The Raid has a certain rawness that we cannot duplicate. Or an 'action, film like Sleepless Nights.

And that's why I appreciate them. They force me see film from a different light and broadens my perspectives. Now that's why I can see remakes but many of times they don't touch the quality of the original. Example: Rec vs Quarantine.

Last edited:
But I don't think film should be dubbed either.

While it should be noted yes it can be distracting with subtitles there is a beauty to hearing the foreign languages being spoke.

Also foreign movies have difference sensibilities that we don't find here in American films. Even an action movie like The Raid has a certain rawness that we cannot duplicate. Or an 'action, film like Sleepless Nights.

And that's why I appreciate them. They force me see film from a different light and broadens my perspectives. Now that's why I can see remakes but many of times they don't touch the quality of the original. Example: Rec vs Quarantine.

I don't particularly advocate it either, but I watch Rashomon a lot while doing other work(it's one of my all time favorites), so when I'm not 100% focused on the screen for a viewing, I use the dub, because the English dub on the Criterion collection isn't completely appalling.

I do see exactly what you are saying and I even agree with it to an extent, but it still doesn't mean that ALL remakes for the sake of a different culture are inherently bad.

I guess I'm stuck plum in the middle. I see both sides of it.

Also the manga had nothing to do with this movie other than the basic premise. Despite all this talk of making it like the manga. This was all about recreating the Korean movie.

And while I like Josh Brolin I could in no way buy into him having been in prison for 20 years. He looks like a 45 year old chubby guy before prison. Comes out of prison a decently fit 45 year old guy. I think making it a 20 year sentence instead of 15 was goofy.

I think Spike Lee was also the wrong director for this material. His inherent racism kind of takes me out of the movie. I've lost a lot of respect for the man as a filmmaker.

Here is the big kicker:

Now I know the hypnotism is way too convenient and it's quite silly, it at least explains the Oh-Dae Su Mi-do relationship. This time around, the villain basically leaves it to chance that Joe will meet, fall in love with, and have sex with his daughter because of how he manipulated her life. It doesn't make any sense, and it's completely unbelievable to me why this girl has such a keen interest this vagrant and is practically ready to jump in to bed with him just because she wants to help people and would be attracted to this type of guy because of her upbringing.

It reminds me about the BS about the Total Recall remake being closer to the book; no..it was just pretty much a remake of the original film despite some differences.

Same thing with I Am Legend. IT WILL BE MORE FAITHFUL TO THE BOOK!

Instead it was more faithful to OMEGA MAN with Heston.

And we've still yet to a truly faithful version of I Am Legend with all the interesting, truly sci-fi ideas and with the true explanation of what the title means.

This movie is a fail. Spike Lee won't be humbled though.

one of the worst movies ever. there was no doubt that this remake could achieve what the original movie did, but boy...spike lee proved that he's one of the worst directors in the business..

That bad? I was hoping this would be something decent.

one of the worst movies ever. there was no doubt that this remake could achieve what the original movie did, but boy...spike lee proved that he's one of the worst directors in the business..

That bad? I was hoping this would be something decent.

No its not that bad, it doesn't live up to the original but its not as bad as some are making out. If you haven't seen the original then it might have more of an impact on you.

I just finished watching this, (it's on Netflix streaming now) and, wow, I don't quite know what to think of this movie. It's even more twisted than the original and a lot of it doesn't really make sense. But I definitely don't think it's as bad as everyone is saying. Brolin did his absolute best and it shows and Spike tries to throw some curveballs to throw people who saw the original off.

One thing I will say about this movie is the fight choreography and direction was superb! There's one sequence where Brolin takes on a large group of thugs and it's one long take and it was incredibly well done. Almost on the level of The Raid. I had no idea Spike could direct fight scenes like that.

Other than the fight scenes though, this is a very twisted film and I give Spike credit for making an honest effort to put his spin on this.

I saw it. Just a terrible remake. In the original, you knew why he wanted to get revenge on Oh Daesu. But in the remake,
his motive is….. he couldn't have sex with his dad anymore and his dad shot him with a shotgun, because he got kicked out of school, because Brolin's character witnessed the dad having sex with his sister, and that somehow led the dad to shoot everyone and…. oh god, they made it convoluted and stupid. What happened to just he saw the guy having sex with his sister, blabbed about it and his sister killed herself out of shame and because she thought she was pregnant? What was so bad about just redoing that? It's not like it'd be any more twisted (probably less).

No, I didn't like the remake. Not because they watered it down (they didn't really), but because they made it legitimately stupid.

Watched this on Netflix last night, instantly regretted it...

I didnt love this movie, but I did like it in theaters, even enough to own it.

If anything, Josh Brolin is very good in his roles as a-hole loser turned suicidal prisoner turned brooding badass.

Yeah, this remake is pointless, like most of remakes are. The only saving grace of this film are the Olsen twins.

Sorry, not one of the Olsen twins. It's the younger sister Elizabeth.

One thing I will say about this movie is the fight choreography and direction was superb! There's one sequence where Brolin takes on a large group of thugs and it's one long take and it was incredibly well done. Almost on the level of The Raid. I had no idea Spike could direct fight scenes like that.

This fight scene was copy-and-pasted from the original. The only change was he went more 3 dimensional with it as he went down multiple levels where the original just went from left to right down a single hallway. Good fight choreography doesn't look like people lumbering through the steps and waiting for the next cue to throw a punch. It's supposed to look instinctual, not practiced like it does here. The original fight looked like every guy in the room had a reason to be in that fight. Here, it looked like there were 20 guys in the fight simply because the original had 20, thus, you have a bunch of guys who NEVER take a shot even though Josh Brolin has had his back to them for 5-10 seconds.

One of my big problems with this remake is its way of winking to the viewers who've seen the original. The original jumped right into the one-take fight scene. Literally, he jumped right into slamming the guy with a hammer. Here, he stands to wait for the 20 guys to approach, stand, and then rush him like a ****ing video game. Spike Lee might as well green screen himself into the scene and say "Hey, I know this kinda sucks so far, but we're about to do the fight scene, so sit up straight."

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"