Facade (or Mastermind) in X-Men 3?

the more I think about it, the more I think it's not mastermind. Kinberg said that that guy plays an important role in that scene but is otherwise pretty random. It looks to me as though this is a recruitment scene for the morlocks because of the lack of anyone but pyro and that guy on stage, meaning that jean would not be there yet. Apparantly she goes with the baddies after this happens, so the presence of mastermind would be useless.

Specter313 said:
Zak Penn brought it up over in one of his answers at Xverse that he based Jason's character on Proteus, not Mastermind.

Actually man, i remember Penn's words (it was an answer to one of my questions hehe). He didn't say Jason was based on Proteus 'exactly';

17. If you were ever required to adapt a very 'out there' type character from the comics into the film world (such as Sugar Man, Mojo, Longshot, Proteus, Apocalypse, Holocaust, Abyss, Sauron, ect) how would you handle it?
* Proteus was in many of my drafts for X2, and evolved into Stryker's son. In general, however, I like the naturalism of the X-Men films and have always shied away from the more extreme character. Although I think Apocalypse's backstory is awesome and he would make a lot of sense for later films.

Again, why not call him "Kevin" in the finished prduct? Why "Jason the Illusionist"?
He was an amalgamation of Proteus (troubled and dangerous child) and Mastermind (a bent illusionist getting his kicks by messing with people). But due to them selecting "Jason" of all names, that leads me to come to the conclusion they favored Mastermind (illusions) over Proteus (reality warping and body possession) for the final product.

That said, he was never called Jason Wyngarde on film, which really leaves the door open for Richings to play Mastermind. (i'd still be pulling for Erg. Go Erg). As for Facade, isn't he JUST in the cartoons?
makes me wonder why they'd take him over a character that actually played a vital role in the Dark Phoenix saga like Mastermind.

Yeah, I reckon it could be Erg. But it could be anyone really.

Maybe it's Facastermind? Lol, I'm hilarious.:D

Or Mastercaderg. I also thought about Mr M... who pretty much can do everything... including look badass in suspenders. Then again, at the tiem of the filming, Mr M hadn't done anything beyond District X... and i mean.. really, how many people read that?

Yeah but Quill? Arclight? Phat?

Any old random mutant could be in this film.

True.
Plus Mr M's Elixer, Shadowcat, and Jesus rolled into one spiffy package.

Specter313 said:
Zak Penn brought it up over in one of his answers at Xverse that he based Jason's character on Proteus, not Mastermind.

Zak agreed with a poster's question about how Jason's powers in the scene where Storm confronts him seemed more like Proteus than Mastermind, in which the person asking the question (more like giving an oppinion) said to avoid confusion the character should have been named Kevin. This however doesn't mean that this character was Proteus. Remember that in this same Q&A Zak has mentioned his involvement in the story ended before it was finalized (he wasn't there for the finishing touches) and besides all that the original question was based on a lack of understanding of how Masterminds powers work (I'm guessing Zak either didn't think his answer through enough or he isn't as familiar with the comics character himself). Jason Wyngarde doesn't need to focus on an individual in order to make him/her see his illusions. Mastermind can 'broadcast' his illusions so that everybody within a certain radius of him would be affected. Remember that in the comics he even projects a better looking facade and he does so to even the passer by, not just people he is interacting with. This however is not reality warping, its all mental illusions. X2's character was Mastermind, without a doubt, not only because his name is Jason and his father calls him 'the great illusionist' but also because the people involved in the X2 production have said so in interviews.

I like your observation, Svenhorn. One of those things I always saw and wondered but never really thought too much about. So good job!! I always figured Psylocke would take Mastermind's role in this film. Maybe the guy is Thunderbird on the Atkins Diet?!?! JUST KIDDING! :D
Hey what if he's Forge (a skinny one) and he makes a Mindtap mechanism to fool Jean into thinking Psylocke's illusions are reality?!?!

Endeavor said:
Jason Wyngarde doesn't need to focus on an individual in order to make him/her see his illusions. Mastermind can 'broadcast' his illusions so that everybody within a certain radius of him would be affected. Remember that in the comics he even projects a better looking facade and he does so to even the passer by, not just people he is interacting with. This however is not reality warping, its all mental illusions. X2's character was Mastermind, without a doubt, not only because his name is Jason and his father calls him 'the great illusionist' but also because the people involved in the X2 production have said so in interviews.

That makes sense. But I wonder where Zak's notion of Proteus came from and how it changed, (there is a Proteus icon on Stryker's computer desktop), and Zak or Simon also said they intended to have Mastermind in X3 in a different kind of role.

It all sounds rather confusing.

The character in that image posted above could, then, be Proteus if they want someone who alters perceptions in the movie, whether illusions or reality warps.

I'm thinking Mastermind. :up:

Maybe he is simply an unknown mutant . . .

I don't like the idea of having every background character being a reference to a character in the comics--to me, it limits the expansiveness of the X-Universe to the same characters. Having random or unknown mutants (like the ones at Xavier's school) gives the impression that this world is much larger than even we're aware of.

Not that there shouldn't be cameos . . . I just don't think every background mutant needs to be a reference to someone from the comics--it's limiting.

That being said, I don't think it's Mastermind. It's too redundant, especially if they showed his powers (which I doubt they would take the time and money to do)--because they would be exactly the same as in X2.

Avalanche said:
I like the idea of Mastermind. A mutant with some psychic powers could certainly help Magneto in his quest.

Have you missed the whole Jean standing with Magneto in the woods thing? He's got a Psychic, and she's probably the most powerful psychic alive.

I don't get why people think he might be Mastermind. Did you guys miss the second half of X2 or something?:confused:

Having him be mastermind would be redundant with the last movie. I'd be ok with it if his role was simply to influence jean, the effect differed from the jason deal at the end of x2, and magneto only referred to him as mastermind.

I believe Julian Richings' character will be a named one as people have asked the actor who he is playing and he responds that it is confidential and he can not release that information.

We may be completely off like with Quills, as he does not appear to be important to the film much beyond this one particular scene as Simon has already confirmed. A character like Mastermind would not be wasted there and another extra already appears to look just like Caliban.

Who says Magneto didn't save Mastermind (Jason) from Alkali Lake? What with his metal-manipulating skills, he could have easily gotten into Dark Cerebro to retrieve him. This could just be a recast? Maybe not...

Doubtful,mastermind was worm food at the end of x3,if he is a known mutant-he's someone else.

X-Maniac said:
That makes sense. But I wonder where Zak's notion of Proteus came from and how it changed, (there is a Proteus icon on Stryker's computer desktop), and Zak or Simon also said they intended to have Mastermind in X3 in a different kind of role.

It all sounds rather confusing.

The character in that image posted above could, then, be Proteus if they want someone who alters perceptions in the movie, whether illusions or reality warps.

I think what Zak was referencing in his various coments is that at one point, when he was still actively participating in the development of the story, they were going back and forth on whether they would use Proteus or Mastermind. Obviously later on when it was just Dougherty and Harris working with Singer they dropped the Proteus idea and just made up their version of Mastermind, which is why that is the character they mention in the DVD when talking about Jason Stryker. Jason in X2 had no traits whatsoever that belonged to Proteus, anything for that character that was inspired from the comics came straight from Mastermind.
It's really not that confusing when you take into account the other stuff Zak has mentioned about his involvement with X2. I mean, he had thousands of Sentinels in the story and as we all know that didn't happen. Just focus on what actually made it to the screen and that is what counts as canon, the 'what ifs' dont count.

Edit: As for why they were considering Proteus at one point, I believe Singer mentioned in interviews prior to making X2 that Proteus was one of the characters that intrigued him and he'd love to do. I guess eventually they dropped it because the story worked better with Mastermind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"