Fallout Video Game Series Thread: Discussion about Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas

darthcoolness

Civilian
Reaction score
I am here to reboot the earlier threads about Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas into one single thread for discussion and help.

Plan to play both of these & complete fully starting in about 3-4 months (according to my current schedule/backlog of franchise completions). Bought both at launch and have bought all DLC. Just been trying to find a slot to play them through with no interruptions & after I'm fully done with Mass Effect & Assassin's Creed series.

Great idea! now me, James and a couple of other guys can talk about the games here without using the search function!

@ Iceman

You never play these games before? i've recently started playing FO3 again, but now...i'm still being pre-occupied with ME 3

Great idea! now me, James and a couple of other guys can talk about the games here without using the search function!

@ Iceman

You never play these games before? i've recently started playing FO3 again, but now...i'm still being pre-occupied with ME 3
It's like with all these long RPG type games, I love them all but when the early ones came out (2005-2009) I didn't have that much time to play them. Just mucked about rather than playing through the whole storyline and trying to complete them and therefore didn't even get started on any sequels. I have still to go back and complete many huge games that are now franchises given how far behind I am lol. One at a time :up: (I'm on to Mass Effect 2 at least!)

^^ haha something ttells me you're gonna need more times with FO 3 and NV, because they've already got all their DLC's and stuff.

I've just starting again with my 2nd character for ME3.

I still don't think i'll be able to play ME 2 again anytime soon, because of what happened on ME 3. I meant that in a GOOD way though.You'll see what i mean once you've finished ME3.

But yeah..FO3 and NV...you gonna play 'em on xbox or pc this time?

Good timing with this thread!

Last weekend I *finally* got bored of Skyrim and turned to New Vegas. While I'm sure I'll return to Skyrim at some point, New Vegas has been a lot of fun. I made a new character and have been putting everything into Guns and Repair.

My favorite quest is probably Ghost Town Gunfight. For my money, over all, Obsidian managed to create a better Western in NV than Rockstar did with Red Dead Redemption.

So far I've been on the hunt for Benny and managed to get Legion Assassins on my tail after passing through Nipton. I picked up Boone along the way and we've taken to hunting the Legion as we make our way south to go see Caesar (not because he invited me, because I'm tracking Benny, the rat.)

Couldn't this just be the Fallout thread in general? I don't think the subtitle was needed.

^^ haha something ttells me you're gonna need more times with FO 3 and NV, because they've already got all their DLC's and stuff.

I've just starting again with my 2nd character for ME3.

I still don't think i'll be able to play ME 2 again anytime soon, because of what happened on ME 3. I meant that in a GOOD way though.You'll see what i mean once you've finished ME3.

But yeah..FO3 and NV...you gonna play 'em on xbox or pc this time?
Well I already own both games and all the DLCs for 360 so I'll be playing on that. But if it blows me away I can always replay on PC ;)

I still need to work on my PC set up though. It's in a different room mainly for work and it's not really conducive for leisure there.

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas were the best games ever. They were way better than the entire Elder Scrolls Video Game Series

fallout 3 and NV are definitely my all time fav games. In my personal list, fallout 3 is nr. 1! but i wouldn't say that they're 'better' than the elder scrollgames...or the other way around. They're just different things.

Good timing with this thread!

Last weekend I *finally* got bored of Skyrim and turned to New Vegas. While I'm sure I'll return to Skyrim at some point, New Vegas has been a lot of fun. I made a new character and have been putting everything into Guns and Repair.

My favorite quest is probably Ghost Town Gunfight. For my money, over all, Obsidian managed to create a better Western in NV than Rockstar did with Red Dead Redemption.

So far I've been on the hunt for Benny and managed to get Legion Assassins on my tail after passing through Nipton. I picked up Boone along the way and we've taken to hunting the Legion as we make our way south to go see Caesar (not because he invited me, because I'm tracking Benny, the rat.)

I was blasting away muties at DC before i got caught up in ME 3.

Anyway, even though i was playing ME3, i'm still somewhat playing FO3. My sheppard is based on one of my all time fav FO3 character...guess which one?:oldrazz:

MassEffect32012-7-7-14-11-5-960.jpg

Moira? Haha :D Just kidding my friend, that would be a certain relic hunter!

A while ago a friend of mine told me that the designers had said they wanted people to be able to get through the story with the knowledge that (I'm paraphrasing) "Some players will go through the entire game and torch everyone with a flame thrower." With that in mind, I've been a bit more liberal with who I've been killing...

(spoilers follow)

When I first arrived in Nipton my character was pretty appalled, and rather than open a dialogue with the Legion fellows, he opened fire. Only interested in hunting down Benny, the Legion were more nuisance than anything else as he carried on, eventually befriending Boone in Novac. Boone and my character went on to New Vegas, ignored Mr. House's ******** (although I did go and talk to him) and killed the Legion messenger with a sneaky grenade.

Naturally, Benny ran off to the Legion camp like a *****. At this point the 'mark of Caesar' wasn't doing me much good because the Legion Assassins kept coming after Boone and I. We wiped out one Legion camp and freed the slaves, and then got to Cottonwood Cove where we continued the killing spree.

The best part though, and I don't know why this never occurred to me before, was that Boone and I marched into Caesar's camp and killed everyone (not the slaves) -including Caesar himself. The game carries on, I haven't left the camp yet though. And Boone had some cool dialogue about the "stunt we pulled." It was a pretty tough fight (I also had no Stimpaks) but man, what a cool way to play! I never thought to just...go and kill the big bad guy. If only that were an option in every game! :D

EDIT: I can't wait to hear what the NCR higher ups are going to say when I go talk to them. Oh, and I got Benny, that rat. Now my character can wander.

Last edited:
Moira? Haha Just kidding my friend, that would be a certain relic hunter!

LOL..Moira..hey, waitaminnit! Moira is a redhead! and so is fem-shep! hmm...maybe you're on to something here!

Moira Sheppard to the harbinger; 'Heey! i hear you're that stray from the far reaches of the galaxy! i haven't seen one of you in 50.000 years! heey you wanna help me with my project?!?

Moira Sheppard: 'i tried to warn everybody! but they wouldn't listen!...no...they just yell at me...with mean, mean words!'

:oldrazz:

When I first arrived in Nipton my character was pretty appalled, and rather than open a dialogue with the Legion fellows, he opened fire. Only interested in hunting down Benny, the Legion were more nuisance than anything else as he carried on, eventually befriending Boone in Novac. Boone and my character went on to New Vegas, ignored Mr. House's ******** (although I did go and talk to him) and killed the Legion messenger with a sneaky grenade.

Naturally, Benny ran off to the Legion camp like a *****. At this point the 'mark of Caesar' wasn't doing me much good because the Legion Assassins kept coming after Boone and I. We wiped out one Legion camp and freed the slaves, and then got to Cottonwood Cove where we continued the killing spree.

The best part though, and I don't know why this never occurred to me before, was that Boone and I marched into Caesar's camp and killed everyone (not the slaves) -including Caesar himself. The game carries on, I haven't left the camp yet though. And Boone had some cool dialogue about the "stunt we pulled." It was a pretty tough fight (I also had no Stimpaks) but man, what a cool way to play! I never thought to just...go and kill the big bad guy. If only that were an option in every game!

EDIT: I can't wait to hear what the NCR higher ups are going to say when I go talk to them. Oh, and I got Benny, that rat. Now my character can wander.

The 1st time i encountered them was completely by accident! i was doing a job for that girl drug runner from the Khan. I freed their friend from the cross, and walked down the hills from there...and suddenly my pipboy radar showed red everywhere! I had forgotten that by that time, i was villified by the legion!

As for what happened next, to coin a phrase from a famous movie...

'There was a firefight!"

:woot:

so how do Fallout 3 and NV play on the PS3??

I was thinking of picking them up, but I heard they're extremely buggy on the PS3.....

^^ it's not as bad as a lot of people made it out to be. The latest FO 3 patch fixed a lot of things.

for Fallout New Vegas:It was buggy super badly at launch but with all of the patches installed, it should be playable. You will still expect a couple of glitches, bugs and game freezes every once in a while. If the game freezes on you with all of the patches, that is just the xbox 360 or playstation 3 telling you it is getting a bit hot.

Holy crap was it buggy at launch. Some of the existing glitches make the game really cool, like the ammo swap glitch, (missles or mini nukes out of a shotgun anyone?) or the infinite Agility upgrade in DM dlc. There's still a few minor ones but they don't really break the gameplay anymore.

Speaking of NV...i wished that Bioware would've done the same thing with their endings.

NV endings slideshows not only showed the results of the courier's decisions, but they also showed what happened to all your companions. I think that after spending hours and hours with them, you deserved that closure. I remember that the things i remember most was not how the battle of Hoover dam turned out, but what happened with Cass, Veronica, Boone and the rest afterwards.

So for those who care about acheevos/trophies, who got all of them in Fo3 and NV? I was just about to start Lonesome Road in NV when I decided to go back in FO3 and actually finish up the Mothership Zeta dlc as I found it was just so frigging boring.

I can easily say MZ was the worst DLC in Fo3 and NV, Lonesome road was close behind and Honest Hearts is third. HH had a decent story with the Burned man but was really lacking besides him.

Is New Vegas regarded as highly as FO3?

Honest heart is probably my favourite DLC.Like you said, good story and damn good character in the burning man. Listening to his origin in the beginning was just..chilling!

My 2nd fav is the Pitt. Love how at the end, your choices comes down to choosing between two evils.

My least fav is Operation: Anchorage. Though the reward at the end more than makes up for it.

As for achievement...dunno. I guess i must've since i played those games for a very long time. In fact, the last three years or so..i've only played Beth games and mass effects,

Is New Vegas regarded as highly as FO3?

Depends on who you ask. Hardcore fallout fans will tell you yes, because it's more...closer to the original Fallout games. The more casual Fallout fans will probably say no, since the game has more than a few problems...and it's kinda boring if you compare it to FO3. But it has the better storylines,more interesting characters, it's the gameplay value that's a bit lacking.

New Vegas Ultimate Edition was being sold for like $4.99 a few days ago on Steam. Wish I would have taken advantage of that even though I can't run the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"