Fantastic Four 2?

For what its worth I seem to recall hearing that Fox did have to get permission from Marvel to crossover the FF with the Surfer, so I suspect the same would be true with the FF and X-Men...

I don't know what the point of that history lesson was, we all know what happened. Movies losing money happens all the time, but to allow an IP to go for free to a studio that wants it? That is ineptitude in the extreme. Fox will either commit to reboot and try to do it properly, negotiate a rights-sharing agreement, or sell the rights. There is absolutely zero chance that they will just allow the rights to run out. Not going to happen.

They let it happen with DD. Why is it so impossible to think that they might do so again? Especially with a property that is much more toxic than DD ever was.

Another reboot by Fox would obviously be another rights grab, completely artless, and everyone could see it. That would have to be some bad PR.

Well not everyone. There will always be some defenders who will argue that they're just trying to make a good movie like the last one.

Who are these defenders? I am dying to know where they hide. Somebody was on some bad drugs that made that movie.

The FFINO defenders all disappeared after the movie came out, never to be seen again. None of them even returned to admit that they were wrong about the movie. Some of them I haven't even seen on these boards at all since that movie bombed. It's as if they all went down with the ship.

Late 2014 through summer 2015 was truly a magical time on the hype. It's when I learned just how deeply some fanboys will bury their head to hide from the truth.

The FFINO defenders all disappeared after the movie came out, never to be seen again. None of them even returned to admit that they were wrong about the movie. Some of them I haven't even seen on these boards at all since that movie bombed. It's as if they all went down with the ship.

Thats not completely fair, there was a couple that came forward after FFINO and admitted that they were wrong.

Yep, there were people who admitted that they were wrong and that the film was trash.

Yep. And still even then, if some still liked it, I don't think that was anything to "apologize" for. Though I think there should have been some talk about the numbers and general reception they expected it to get.

There was no, "I think it could do this". It was, "it is going to be good, it is going to be successful".

I agree, if one honestly liked the film then they shouldn't apologize for that.

I'll be honest, I think the FF should be shelved for a while in order to give other properties a chance to shine.

The FF rights going back to Marvel is what everyone likes but let's be honest, a lot of other characters won't get a chance for a screen adaptation then. I liked the way the first Avengers movie kind of connected these seemingly disparate characters into 1 team.

I still see things as being even tougher to connect together though when including the more family orientated heroes of the MCU like Spiderman and FF (although Marvel did re-work him to a degree that really benefited the Spiderman character but not so sure it did so to the MCU), supernatural based characters, or X-men based characters (mainly cause adding a whole list of characters simply call "mutants" bit overkill with all that running around in MCU currently). I'm not saying I'm right on this but eitherway, I still think not having FF in the MCU phase 4 would allow other characters room to breathe more that haven't gotten the chance to do so.

Edit: Anyone here know how Fox was able to get Marvel to agree to allow them to make live action X-men TV shows?

Last edited:
Wasn't it because they wanted to use Ego the Living Planet or Scarlet Witch?

I couldn't remember if Ego was given to Marvel so they could use Negasonic in Deadpool or if it had to do with the TV shows. If it had to do with the TV shows, I'm not sure I buy Marvel giving in on the shows just to use this character in a sequel film when said character could've simply been re-named or reworked as something else (number of characters James Gunn wasn't allowed to use for 1 reason or another while in initial planning stages like some alien race that could be mistaken for slang term and so on).

I know Marvel TV stipulated they have some involvement in production and perhaps reap some profits and so-forth so behind the scenes business is probably main reason (if rift not with Marvel Studios perhaps bit more aggressive utilizing TV shows as leverage to use FF characters in phase 4 but perhaps still did).

In any case, I can't see Fox doing anything with the FF anymore despite whatever Kinberg may say. It seems obvious rights will revert back or an agreement has been made to allow them to I'm guessing. If Marvel knows in advance they of course can plan things out more. When it can be seen that Marvel TV moved on the Inhumans, it seems obvious Marvel Films perhaps was heading towards shelving the film indefinitely (already pushed back due to Spiderman as well as rift with TV). The evidence seems to point towards Marvel utilizing FF in phase 4 doing sort of a soft intro. cross-referencing them in some of their other films which I don't like the idea of cause it sort of skews said films from what otherwise would've been.

Last edited:

To counter some of the snottiness I've seen in this thread: I'm a huge MCU fan, want the FF in the MCU more than any other property, and was rooting for Fan4stic to fail. I saw Fan4stic and you know what? I liked it. At the very least Trank was going for something different with this property, something that clearly didn't work for damn near everyone. He took a beloved, fun-filled property and attempted to make a dark, brooding David Cronenberg-style body horror film. Had the studio given him a decent budget and let him make the movie he wanted to make, there's a chance it could have been at the very least good. As it is, it turned out to be an interesting failure, one that I enjoyed and will defend. It is the antithesis of run-of-the-mill cookie cutter superhero fare and created a gross, truly disturbing alternate world that could have went places that even the Snyder-verse won't go.

I may want the FF in the MCU, but more than anything I want superhero films to give me something I haven't seen before. Fan4stic did that for me.

Fant4stic certainly gave me something I've never seen in a superhero movie: the biggest steaming pile of $#!+ ever collected in one place. :hehe:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"