Fantastic Four Reboot

Or just get Brad Bird. He's about to cut his teeth in live action for M:I-4. I'm sure he could do a cool FF movie. It'd be as obvious as Ridley doing Robin Hood (which I really hope doesn't suck.)

Is it safe to assume, at this point, that the "re-boot" talk was just a ploy to up the price of the property so that Fox could sell it back to Marvel/Disney?

Unless I missed it, there hasn't been any news about any actual progress - script, director, pre-production etc.

I seem to remember a date of 2012 being thrown around at one point as the expiration for the rights. At this rate, it seems unlikely that Fox will have a film together by then, so I have a feeling Marvel/Disney is just waiting them out and they didn't make any offers after Fox announced they were developing a re-boot.

Probably for the best, but we'll probably be waiting another 5 years or more for an actual movie.

Maybe they'll make a movie with no intention of releasing it just to keep the rights lol

I remember someone mentioning a "quality clause" that was likely initiated by the Corman fiasco to prevent anyone from doing that again.

It would be interesting if Marvel/Disney invoked that in the event of a half-assed effort even if it wasn't as blatent as what Corman did.

Considering Akiva Goldsman (writer of Batman Forever and Batman and Robin) is listed as producer for the re-boot, Marvel would have a pretty good case if I was on the jury.

They shouldve invoked that clause when they heard Jessica alba was cast for the first one

Well, since Fox is booking stage space in Vancouver for another FF movie, I assume something is afoot!

The best thing for Fox would be to produce giving Marvel creative control, and connect the movie with the Marvel movieverse that started with Iron Man and Hulk...

It would be good for the fans, but not for Fox. They're not in it to make good movies, they're in it to make a profit, and Fox does not like to share.

This movie needs to go into development by late 2011 for a 2013 release, otherwise I think Disney will take back the rights. And they want FC and Wolverine 2 out first and foremost so I doubt they could get the next FF out that quickly. It seems like we get an update for FC maybe every 3-4 months and then we hear nothing for another 3-4 months. So by the time those films get made the FF deal will have expired. I think there will be a distribution deal when all is said and done.

It would be nice if Fox would treat the FF like Universal did the Hulk, let Marvel have it back and just release the movie - but I doubt that will happy any time soon.

Given that both FF movies were in theaters less than a year after shooting started, they have till August of 2011 to make a July 2012 release, so I would not expect any real news for a while.

Say Fox wants to keep everything (meaning producing the movies themselves), their timetable at best would be:

Wolverine 2 - Film in January 2011, release in Holiday 2011- Spring 2012.
First Class - Film in Summer 2011, release in Summer 2012
DD- Film in January 2012, release in Holiday 2012-Spring 2013
FF- Film in Summer 2012, release in Summer 2013.

So it's not inconceivable that they can potentially fit everything in. There is still time. Disney won't be in a rush taking back DD since a winter/spring release wouldn't conflict with Avengers movies in the summer, and they'd still take in a small percentage of the BO. FF is a property that can definitely make money so I expect them to put up a fight. They can do nothing about X-Men because Fox will never give that up, despite the fact that it will conflict with Avengers movies.

Last edited:
Of course there's no reason more than one of these would not be in production at the same time. I don't think even Wolverine and First Class would have the same producers, certainly not DD and FF. And isn't at least up to the Avengers still part of the Paramount deal, so I don't know that Disney would have too much to say about any of this.

Disney still foots the bills and makes the most money from it. Paramount just markets and sets the date; the latter is probably dictated by the reps at Marvel to begin with. Paramount has little to do with anything other than getting the name out there... for the time being.

As far as Fox, I don't think they'll be doing two superhero films at once. X-Men and FF are tentpoles and they won't be out in the same year. They will have at least 4-6 months separation between their Marvel properties, hence we probably won't be seeing two different projects moving toe to toe with one another. DD will be a non-summer movie. I am thinking Wolverine will also be released in Winter or Spring since obviously they need several months between that and First Class.

I just finished watching Lost S05 and Matthew Fox reminded me of Reed Richards in that season... With the haircut and little grey here and there, also clean shaved.

When we see Dr Doom on film (hopefully not in the next film), I would love to see him quoting Shakespeare and other classic literature while he's kicking the crap out of the FF, kinda like V in V for Vendetta.

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy / With old odd ends stolen forth from holy writ/And seem a saint when most I play the devil."

Well it sure would beat "Let's go for a SPIN!" :barf:
[YT]mIvJuFLqfTE[/YT]

I think this whole reboot phase will be the death of comicbook movies in the years to come. Instead of focusing the proper time and effort to write and produce a movie correct the first time, many are practically made on a whim and ultimately suffer due to poor reviews/box office numbers, and then we have to either deal with the fact that some books can't become blockbuster hits, or we see the market swarmed by the same characters again a few years down the line.

In my opinion, the Incredible Hulk did wonders in rejuvenating that character, but it didn't do well at all, so there's not much talk of Hulk even though he's part of the new Marvel movieverse. I thought both recent Punisher movies had their own merits, but they both obviously failed at catching the right audience's attention as well, so we might a) see a new take in a few years or b) not see Frank Castle on the screen for a good decade/ever. Mind you, this makes the third failed try at the character, so maybe he's just not film-friendly.

Now, onto the Fantastic Four (which I was only building up to in that rant, I assure you) I never thought the films were anything (sorry) fantastic, but they were fun to watch. I dislike the characters in general (same case with Hulk) but the film versions of them were quirky and funny enough for me to pay to see both films, so it's a shame that instead of trying one last go at this series to try and save it (which I believe Fox is also doing with their X-Men prequels - rather than reboot, they're trying out new angles to keep the X-Men alive and well, as well as take the franchise elsewhere).

There's so much wealth to the Fantastic Four as far as stories go, so to just drop it and start over again is a waste of money and talent. I think a third film to explore the new team dynamic between the Richards' would be good to do, on top of them facing certain death. Either Namor (who would put strain on Reed and Sue's marriage) or the Skrulls would be perfect for a sequel, but I think fans might be sick of the latter due to Secret Invasion. My thinking with them would be to introduce the Skrull threat to the world by having the Inhumans slowly introduced into the film (Crystal being a love interest for Johnny, would gain his trust and attention before revealing the truth and the past between the Skrulls and Inhumans/Kree). With that idea, it could become another battle for Earth, but on a great cosmic scale as an entire empire threatens to take over the planet one human at a time. I'm sure a true FF fan could put those plot threads together than I, but I think it just goes to show that the stories aren't as important as saving some money nowadays, because a brand new franchise will likely draw in crowds from those who both liked the previous Fantastic Fours, as well as those who can be roped in by the shiny new cast of characters, with no strings attached to the last films.

I think a good FF movie could be made with the current cast at Fox - but sadly that does not appear to be likely to happen. If they wish to "reboot" ala TIH [new cast and just moving forward] I can live with that. If they wish to "reboot" by going over the same ground covered in the first film [which no other "reboot" has done] then I think that's a terrible waste of time and money.

Mister Fantastic- Jude Law/ Jon Hamm
Invisible Woman- Diane Kruger/ January Jones
Human Torch- Zac Efron/ Chace Crawford
The Thing- Dwayne Johnson/ Dominic Purcell
Doctor Doom- Jason Isaacs/ Mads Mikkelsen

Director- J.J. Abrams/ Brad Bird/ Guillermo Del Toro

It doesn't need to be an origin story. Maybe the story could start with the F4 falling apart and breaking up due to conflicts and feuds within the team, then they must join forces to save the world, and their journey will be about falling in love with each other as a family all over again.

Mister Fantastic- Jude Law/ Jon Hamm
Invisible Woman- Diane Kruger/ January Jones
Human Torch- Zac Efron/ Chace Crawford
The Thing- Dwayne Johnson/ Dominic Purcell
Doctor Doom- Jason Isaacs/ Mads Mikkelsen

Director- J.J. Abrams/ Brad Bird/ Guillermo Del Toro

It doesn't need to be an origin story. Maybe the story could start with the F4 falling apart and breaking up due to conflicts and feuds within the team, then they must join forces to save the world, and their journey will be about falling in love with each other as a family all over again.

Like the Scooby Doo movie? haha

Those movies (especially the second one) were more a soap opera than a superhero action flick. personally, I would title the second one: "Fantastic Four: The Wedding". The "Rise of the Silver Surfer" is such a secondary story, it's not even worth mention.

There's a lot of work to revive this franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"