Favourite batman director

this is exactly how i feel about TDK and TDKR. tim burtons 2 films are far more batman then nolans 2 sequels. as batman films they just suck to me. i was able to get over the fact that batman drives a tank in the new ones, in the hopes he would aquire more bat-centric vehicles later on. instead all he got was a tumbler lite motorcycle and a giant lobster transformer toy. LAME. tim burton gave us not only the ultimate batmobile but the coolest batplane and then the batboat. all have the slick bat design. i even thought the Forever vehicles were great too, even with the blue neon. but the tank tumbler stuff just never felt "batman" to me. i remember thinking oh great, more GI joe toys. batmans point is that he obsessed with his creation, thus his vehicles have a bat-look to them and hes got batsymbols everywhere. but no, he just goes to fox like his own personal Q and just borrows stuff.

the only nolan batman film i really liked was batman begins. the narrows was how ALL of gotham should have looked. not just one part of it. the other 2 movies were just chicago renamed gotham. creativly speaking, the nolan films are dull visually which is ironic considering they are based on a visual medium of comic books. they look more like bond movies of the 90's then they do batman films.

There's nothing wrong with preferring one take of the character over another, so let me just say that. I love Burton's films and love the visual style there. They're aesthetically wonderful, and take you to another world. When it comes to characterization, I preferred Nolan's films. The fact that it felt like he captured the essence of the characters while still putting a more "real world" stamp on it was very appealing to me. That's not to say I think it is the "one and only" Batman, but what he did with the character really excited me and felt right for the times. And I think his films are still beautifully shot and have a different kind of visual appeal.

And as far as the Tumbler goes...

batmobile.jpg

Sure, Dark Knight Returns is kind of it's own thing, but it's also a monumental story in Batman's history and it set the precedent for a more tank-like, militaristic take on the Batmobile. So it's not like Nolan's version came out of nowhere. On top of that, the Tumbler did have a subtle Bat-motif. It's meant to resemble a bat with its wings folded up.

Visually the Burton films were wonderful. But when it came to the writing, it was god awful and very amateur. Especially BR.

Burtons movies were fun, comic booky in tone, looked cool, sounded cool, but that's it for me. I never felt any sort of emotion in them. And i prefer that kind of feeling over just a popcorn flick that only makes you walk out of a cinema (or living room) with nothing but "that was fun". I like that in an action movie or comedy or even horror. But Batman means more to me than just a popcorn flick. So i side with Nolans trilogy. It was fun AND brainy as well as touching at times. Inspirational is another word i would use for Nolans Batman that i couldnt use for Burtons. It was all very cold. I guess that's what the Burton/Shumacher movies were, just popcorny action movies, only the 1st two were darker.

Keatons batman is certainly a big part of my childhood (i wont talk about Shumachers) but if i first discovered those movies when i was a teenager or as an adult....i wouldn't care whatsoever.

I will say something about Returns though. I watched it recently and im convinced more than ever that it was just one big excuse to be horny LOL. Everything about Penguin & Catwoman in that damn movie is one big hornfest!

Nolan's storytelling and ability to weave in immense amounts of depth are stunningly genius. I never stop finding new things. New connections, new references, more richness and things to smile about or be awed by.

Nolan didn't get some things 'right', as far as my ideal version of Batman goes, but he more than makes up for it in other ways.

Burton does get some of the things right that I felt Nolan missed, but Burton had plenty of flaws in other areas as well, and ultimately, while I definitely love his interpretation for it's pluses, I find it less satisfying by comparison, and that it has less philosophical gravity.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad. I'm saying it's great, but Nolan trumps it.

(PS - I actually enjoyed a couple of aspects of the Schumacher movies too, even though they're a mess. Everything deserves fair credit. :up: )

When it comes to that immense amount of great depth, I always think of TDKR the most as I learn some new stuff after watching the film again or just by reading the thoughts of others on here on references, nods, allusions, etc.

I love the Nolan and Burton movies, but I have to give it to Nolan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"