F'dup Chapters in American History(The Trump Years) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also looks like the summit might be back on, after all that. A lot of positive NK chatter, and Trump just said it's a possibility to happen on the original date.

Sounds like they've been playing nice after he went all Grinch.

Uhm, wait, what?

You do know they have a lot of functional ballistic missiles, right? Short-and-mid range basically reliable and semi-equivalent to the west's. It's the long-range ICBMs they're figuring out now, and they've tested quite a few. How reliable those are currently, we don't really know.

But they have the nukes, they have the missiles. The thing the west's not 100% sure on is if they've managed to scale down their nukes enough to fit on their ballistic missiles, not whether or not they have ballistic missiles. They do, and the mastery of that science has been escalating more quickly in recent years.

They're isolated economically, absolutely (aside from the Chinese handouts, which have seemed to be stopped or at least minimized over this last year from what they were previously). But being isolated doesn't mean a whole lot when you don't give a **** if your people can put food on the table, you're just throwing a majority of the cash you do have into the military.

So, no, strategic patience, while noble, hadn't worked in terms of blunting their missile program before they got too close to a working ICBM. They have the mid-range ballistics now, and they've tested long-range ICBMs. We just don't know how successful those missiles would be if they actually did something stupid like land one in the Pacific off the U.S or Canada rather than off their own coast. And we're not sure whether their nukes are currently able to fit on one.

But they're right on the brink, both sides of politics agree on that, that's how the Obama administration saw it. A year, two tops, the way things are going, they'll be there.

They don't really have an intercontinental ballistic missile with reliable targeting. They have the propulsion, but the ability to hit a target? I'm not so sure.
Meanwhile, it looks like their nuclear program collapsed under it's own weight, and now they might not have much at all. The reason why that happened is because they are isolated... they can only make incremental steps, and the smallest mistake can set them back years. Strategic patience did that.
And then, even if they got reliable targeting and could hypothetically hit the US coast, our deterrence and our allies make it nearly impossible for them to actually hit us. Without strategic patience, they would have gotten much further already.
Now, we can't allow NK to get that far.. sure... but they really aren't a strategic threat. We neutered them a long time ago. This is more about maintaining our credibility and power in the region in order to safeguard our allies.
And a meeting was always on the table. They could have gone to W. or Obama and made a deal... but they weren't interested then. We continued to put pressure on them waited until they were, and now they are. Trump's success is actually reliant upon the decades of work that's been put into North Korea. He's not doing this in a vacuum.

It sounds like you're in favor of us breaking decades of precedent to explore a hard power option. Or at least the threat of a hard power option. That's pretty much the exact wrong thing to do, because - yes - they could destabilize the region with missile strikes. It's risky to aggravate them. Maybe it'll work, but discarding the positive impact of MAD and soft power diplomacy is a mistake. That's the point I'm making. If it works this time... great... but that success can't be duplicated, and if we were to transition from a deterrence model to a first strike model... I guarantee that it'd lead to more problems than solutions in the long run.

Strategic patience "set them back years"? How, exactly?

Less than a year ago (probably 6 months, honestly), they were the furthest along they'd ever been, and more aggressive with the rhetoric than usual. They surely didn't have much problem with continuing to advance through the Obama years (not that strategic patience can be laid on him alone, of course, Bubba & Bush had the same idea).

And strategic patience is actually a good thing, when they're in the early stages. We definitely should have gone that way as a first option.

You don't really keep being patient when they have an estimated dozen nukes, the latest model assumed to be a hydrogen bomb not just rudimentary atomic, and are like 80-85% of the way along to having a missile that can hit anywhere on the planet. Of course, bombing them is hardly a first option either. But tightening the sanctions noose, crawling up China's ass, and addressing Kim directly with the "think twice, tubby" stuff is probably justified.

I mean, hell, he's demonstrably backed off. It's a start, we'll have to see how (and if) the talks produce anything verifiable. Still early days yet, and it'd be dumb to trust them on their supposed dismantling of that site earlier in the week given they only let in journalists and no actual IAEA scientists/observers. Still, baby steps.

It's like you're not taking into account the opportunity costs. As if we had just let them alone, their progress would be exactly the same. NK signed the nuclear non proliferation treaty in 85. The IAEA was granted access in the 90s. NK pledged to freeze their program soon after that. Now, they kept on developing sure... but in secret. Of course those things slowed their growth. Do you have any reason to believe it didn't?

Less than a year ago (probably 6 months, honestly), they were the furthest along they'd ever been, and more aggressive with the rhetoric than usual. They surely didn't have much problem with continuing to advance through the Obama years (not that strategic patience can be laid on him alone, of course, Bubba & Bush had the same idea).

Strategic patience doesn't insinuate that it thwarts them completely... only that we continue to put on the pressure until they agree to come to the table. That's exactly what they are doing now. It seems weird to say that everything in the past doesn't matter, but suddenly Trump came into power, and clearly his blustering is the only effective thing. I don't see why you'd think that's true. This is a culmination of decades of effort.

You don't really keep being patient when they have an estimated dozen nukes, the latest model assumed to be a hydrogen bomb not just rudimentary atomic, and are like 80-85% of the way along to having a missile that can hit anywhere on the planet. Of course, bombing them is hardly a first option either. But tightening the sanctions noose, crawling up China's ass, and addressing Kim directly with the "think twice, tubby" stuff is probably justified.

I agree that tightening sanctions and lobbying China are good things. That's still under the "strategic patience" doctrine though... and it was basically the W. and Obama approach. The insults thing... no... I don't see why you'd think that was the straw that broke the camels back. If anything, Trump's unconventional leadership style probably piqued Kim's interests, because he felt that Trump could be a good mark. It seems naive to think that Kim was like, "oh this Trump guy is hurting my feel feels! We better work with him." Kim is doing this because he sees an opportunity in Trump that he didn't with W. or with Obama. That actually should be a little frightening. Under W. or Obama, it's likely that he would have to work under much harder terms AND that verification would be a must. That's not necessarily true under Trump. This is Kim's best opportunity to get what he wants.

I mean, hell, he's demonstrably backed off. It's a start, we'll have to see how (and if) the talks produce anything verifiable. Still early days yet, and it'd be dumb to trust them on their supposed dismantling of that site earlier in the week given they only let in journalists and no actual IAEA scientists/observers. Still, baby steps.

Agreed. I'm glad all this work has finally come to fruition. I just don't know why you attribute 100% of the success to Trump calling Kim "Rocket Man." It seems much more likely that Kim is feeling pressured to work with the US after increased sanctions, increased pressure from China, and backward movement on his nuclear program. Meanwhile... all this bullish rhetoric comes at a cost. Maybe it'll work, but it doesn't improve our reputation over seas, and it gives dictators the belief that if they just smooth talk our President, then we'll overturn decades of precedent. We used to operate on principle, now we operate on favors? That weakens our position; it doesn't strengthen it.

And strategic patience is actually a good thing, when they're in the early stages. We definitely should have gone that way as a first option.

And now, N. Korea has blown up their nuclear test compound. So, yeah, they set themselves back quite a few years.

And now, N. Korea has blown up their nuclear test compound. So, yeah, they set themselves back quite a few years.

more like they blew up a few tunnels to their collapsed test site...

Also looks like the summit might be back on, after all that. A lot of positive NK chatter, and Trump just said it's a possibility to happen on the original date.

Sounds like they've been playing nice after he went all Grinch.

Do you have some type of personally coded filter you use when browsing the Hype which just so happens to go ahead and remove any posts that negates yours so you can't see it?

NK and SK already met. Without Trump specifically because he and Bolton are dumbasses.

I linked to the article last page. It's being reported across every news outlet.

Deceitful Donny Daycare said:
...why didn’t the crooked highest levels of the FBI or “Justice” contact me to tell me of the phony Russia problem?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1000458567147839488

WASHINGTON — In the weeks after he became the Republican nominee on July 19, 2016, Donald Trump was warned that foreign adversaries, including Russia, would probably try to spy on and infiltrate his campaign, according to multiple government officials familiar with the matter.

The warning came in the form of a high-level counterintelligence briefing by senior FBI officials, the officials said. A similar briefing was given to Hillary Clinton, they added. They said the briefings, which are commonly provided to presidential nominees, were designed to educate the candidates and their top aides about potential threats from foreign spies.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ans-would-try-infiltrate-his-campaign-n830596 (Dec 2017)

Can't be pre-warned when you're already colluding with Russia for months prior.

He is so racist...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...us-naval-academy-commencement-address/561206/

In recent years and even decades, too many people have forgotten that truth. They have forgotten that our ancestors trounced an empire, tamed a continent, and triumphed over the worst evils in history. In every generation, there have been cynics and critics that try to tear down America. But in recent years, the problem grew worse. A growing number used their platforms to denigrate America’s incredible heritage, challenge America’s sovereignty, and weaken America’s pride.
Tamed the Native Americans? Hispanics? The black slaves? How about the Asian slaves? I know my people did no taming. So beyond attempted genocide and slavery, is there anything else he wants to just act like was a great thing?

For one, assuming you believe it. No IAEA inspectors were allowed in, it was just laymen reporters. They witnessed explosions and collapsed tunnels, totally. The extent to which that's a legit deactivation of an active site they've still been using, you'd want an inspector signing off on. Why would you take an NK general's word on it, given their prior shenanigans?

It's like you're not taking into account the opportunity costs. As if we had just let them alone, their progress would be exactly the same. NK signed the nuclear non proliferation treaty in 85. The IAEA was granted access in the 90s. NK pledged to freeze their program soon after that. Now, they kept on developing sure... but in secret. Of course those things slowed their growth. Do you have any reason to believe it didn't?

Of course it slowed their growth, the hell? :loco: When's anyone said that it hasn't? :oldrazz: My point was, strategic patience was the right move to start with, we absolutely should have gone that way rather than escalating at first.

Thing is, the production continued all the same. Got serious under Clinton, came to a head under Bush, they stalled a while, before getting serious on it again into the later Obama years.

Slowed progress, sure, but progress all the same. Surely you'd agree there's a certain point-of-no-return with that though, where patience is no longer acceptable. North Korea can't be allowed to have a functional, test-proven ICBM and nukes miniaturized enough to fit on a warhead, that's pretty basic stuff.

That doesn't mean you start a war and forcibly take them out, no. But you can't really continue business-as-usual either, they'll cross the line of acceptable capability before long.

Strategic patience doesn't insinuate that it thwarts them completely... only that we continue to put on the pressure until they agree to come to the table. That's exactly what they are doing now. It seems weird to say that everything in the past doesn't matter, but suddenly Trump came into power, and clearly his blustering is the only effective thing. I don't see why you'd think that's true. This is a culmination of decades of effort.

Who asserted anything close to that, though? Wasn't me. All I was saying was that a policy of strategic patience is great, when they're too early in the process to be an active nuclear threat if things go sideways. There's a use-by date on that though - they're not there yet with combining the nukes and the missiles (intercontinental-level), but both sides of this agree they're right on the threshold. That's something nobody is okay with allowing to happen, so a change in tack might just be prudent.

And of course Trump's blusterous BS isn't the only factor here. But, as you're well aware, I didn't say anything of the sort. Only that people like Kim don't respond well to the usual channels, and dealing with a d*ckish wannabe-hardman just might pay off here. Might not too, but things have been looking up so far from where they were this time last year, or the year before, or the year before.

It's something. You can give the guy that.

I agree that tightening sanctions and lobbying China are good things. That's still under the "strategic patience" doctrine though...

Not really. Sanctions generally-speaking are, as in making a statement and creating an inconvenient situation for them. Things have been going a little further than that lately though, with pressuring China in a big way. Suffocating NK to an extent they really have no choice but to come & talk is clearly a more aggressive stance by us - still through diplomatic means, but it's a different level of heat on them than Bush or Obama were enacting.

And again, it may not work out, obviously nobody can know one way or th other. But they're sitting down with us, and that's new & positive. Is my point, and sole point.

and it was basically the W. and Obama approach. The insults thing... no... I don't see why you'd think that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Which hasn't been said. What's been said is that further closing the vice on Kim economically, combined with providing him with two options here - one of them very bad for everyone - has likely been a major factor in him putting his tail between his legs as opposed to his demeanor a year ago. Combined factors.

If a few crude rhetorical flourishes come from Trump along with all that, fine, whatever. It's unfortunate, but so long as the rest of the stuff is in motion it doesn't mean much.

If anything, Trump's unconventional leadership style probably piqued Kim's interests, because he felt that Trump could be a good mark.

A possibility, of course. I'd seriously question whether he feels guys like Pompeo & Mattis are "easy marks", though. Kim's not insane - he knows the guy at the top is a blowhard, but plenty of the people around him at the military level are the real deal. He's not going to be able to wiggle out of the sanctions this time without giving some of the nuke program up in a concrete verifiable manner.

So, yeah, again - if it pans out, Trump's *****ey bluster will be a footnote in the history books, nobody's going to care. If it doesn't pan out, then fine, but we're no worse off than we were before he came into office. Same deal, maniacal rhetoric from North Korea on the verge of combining a missile and a nuke. Same status quo as in 2015-2016.

Taking the new tack they're taking has garnered results in the early stages. Who knows where it goes from here, but what we do know is that if we'd kept going as we were they'd have a legit nuke-capable ICBM in a year. So, we might a well try something.

Of course it slowed their growth, the hell? :loco: When's anyone said that it hasn't? :oldrazz:
You questioned how strategic patience set them back. I just told you how.

My point was, strategic patience was the right move to start with, we absolutely should have gone that way rather than escalating at first.
Escalating at first? What do you mean?
It seems that you agree.. based on above.. that strategic patience works. You're saying that it worked, but that now we need to act, right? Sure... that's a part of the paradigm of strategic patience. Bide your time, find your moment, and then move. That's always been the plan. Squeeze them until they are backed into a corner, and then approach them and offer a helping hand out.

Thing is, the production continued all the same. Got serious under Clinton, came to a head under Bush, they stalled a while, before getting serious on it again into the later Obama years.

Slowed progress, sure, but progress all the same. Surely you'd agree there's a certain point-of-no-return with that though, where patience is no longer acceptable. North Korea can't be allowed to have a functional, test-proven ICBM and nukes miniaturized enough to fit on a warhead, that's pretty basic stuff.

That doesn't mean you start a war and forcibly take them out, no. But you can't really continue business-as-usual either, they'll cross the line of acceptable capability before long.

Well.. you're trying to have the argument both ways here. On the one hand, you want to criticize strategic patience for not working; on the other, you want to say that it obviously slowed his progress and did work. Is there a point of no return? ... I suppose.... but what exactly are you saying by that? That we no longer rely on deterrence and send in Seal Team 6 after a certain threshold? That's extremely risky, especially given that MAD has worked for 80 years and there's no reason to believe it wouldn't work now. We should continue to put international pressure on Kim... not taunt him into thinking we'll first strike. That diminishes are credibility abroad because 1) it's most likely a lie and 2) it goes against our principles and 3) it would cede the higher ground to Kim.
So no... we shouldn't abandon strategic patience and move away from our Deterrence model because Kim is getting further along. First strike shouldn't be in our playbook, ever. We rely on MAD. If you bomb one of our allies with a nuclear weapon, we will obliterate you. We need to maintain the credibility of that threat, and blustering that we'll bomb you to hell if you don't meet with us, doesn't do that. Again, you want to have it both ways... "oh hey hey, that doesn't mean attack them, but you have to do something besides sanction them and wait!" Those are the two choices though... strategic patience or strategic attack. It's cute that you want to criticize without offering an alternative, but that's obviously not how our foreign policy works. It's easy to criticize.

Who asserted anything close to that, though? Wasn't me. All I was saying was that a policy of strategic patience is great, when they're too early in the process to be an active nuclear threat if things go sideways. There's a use-by date on that though - they're not there yet with combining the nukes and the missiles (intercontinental-level), but both sides of this agree they're right on the threshold. That's something nobody is okay with allowing to happen, so a change in tack might just be prudent.

You insinuated that President Trump was primarily the reason when you said that 6 months ago, they were further along than ever. To you, he was going along like a steam train until Trump turned it around. I'm saying no... this meeting is dependent on all the work that W. and Obama did. This meeting is an example of how strategic patience can come to fruition. Again, you're trying to have it both ways. "I'm not saying that Trump is the sole cause, I'm just saying he came along and everything changed." No it didn't.
And again, what change of tack are you suggesting? A first strike? Cause that'd be the wrong way to go. International pressure, economic sanctions, diplomatic reach-outs... that's what works, and that's what we should continue to do. Especially because Kim doesn't appear to be on the precipice of anything. Again, he doesn't have a reliable targeting system, and we have a strong deterrent effect in the region. No, I don't want to just blow that to hell because he's getting closer. Diplomacy is the way out of this; not destroying and nation building.

And of course Trump's blusterous BS isn't the only factor here. But, as you're well aware, I didn't say anything of the sort. Only that people like Kim don't respond well to the usual channels, and dealing with a d*ckish wannabe-hardman just might pay off here. Might not too, but things have been looking up so far from where they were this time last year, or the year before, or the year before.

It's something. You can give the guy that.

I'm not going to give him credit for blustering about a meeting. I'll give him credit if we have verifiable denuclearization... but as far as I can tell, Trump hasn't done anything yet. Arguing that Kim is changing tack because Trump hurt his feels feels is doubtful in my book. Again, I think it's much more about all the diplomatic pressure that we've put on Kim up to this point... not Trump. You say, "It's a start" referring to the progress that Trump has made. No... it's not a start. The start happened long before Trump. You really don't like being held accountable for your words I guess. You say one thing... and once you get called on it.. then, "no, no , no, clearly I didn't mean that!" Well, use your language a little more wisely then, because it sure seems like you're giving credit of Kim's reversal to Trump's rhetoric.

Not really. Sanctions generally-speaking are, as in making a statement and creating an inconvenient situation for them. Things have been going a little further than that lately though, with pressuring China in a big way. Suffocating NK to an extent they really have no choice but to come & talk is clearly a more aggressive stance by us - still through diplomatic means, but it's a different level of heat on them than Bush or Obama were enacting.

Oh, so sanctions and lobbying China was strategic patience under Obama, but now that it's Trump... you wouldn't consider it that way now, huh? Strategic patience is built on the idea that we alienate them, we weaken them economically, and we apply diplomatic pressure. It's a soft power strategy, which is still what we're practicing now. It's cute that you'd like to define it differently now that your boy is in office. Obama pushed for harder sanctions and to put pressure on China as well. Now that that strategy is baring fruit, you want to say... "oh no, no, no, this isn't just being patient anymore. Now we're doing something." Yeah... we're doing the same thing we've done for decades, but escalating it in terms of degree. That's a good thing.. but it's still reliant on soft power, which was the W. doctrine, the Obama doctrine, and now the Trump doctrine..... I guess? It's hard to tell if Trump has a doctrine besides improvising.

And again, it may not work out, obviously nobody can know one way or th other. But they're sitting down with us, and that's new & positive. Is my point, and sole point.
If that's your sole point, then I agree with it. But it isn't your sole point. Other points: strategic patience hasn't worked, it's now time to abandon strategic patience, and that Trump's rhetoric is partly to credit for it. Be proud of your own positions.. don't pretend they don't exist while you try to have it both ways.

Which hasn't been said. What's been said is that further closing the vice on Kim economically, combined with providing him with two options here - one of them very bad for everyone - has likely been a major factor in him putting his tail between his legs as opposed to his demeanor a year ago. Combined factors.

Okay, so now we're getting somewhere. This is a new argument: the threat is the reason that it's working huh? Well, I disagree with that.. I think the threat is toothless, but it does hurt our credibility with our allies. It's not without cost. Bare in mind that Trump hasn't really threatened anything specific... only that we'll release the fury of God on them. You really think that Kim buys that? That if he doesn't talk to Moon, the US will first strike nuke him? I doubt it. It's much more likely that his people are hungry, his test sites have been damaged (thanks to strategic patience), and his biggest partner is pressuring him. Do you realize what would happen to us if we first striked North Korea? Holy hell would unleashed on us. Kim knows this.
As I mentioned before, it's likely that Kim sees Trump as an easy target; a way to get sanctions taken off without verification. But should we give Trump credit for being a bafoon that our enemies can play? I don't think so.

If a few crude rhetorical flourishes come from Trump along with all that, fine, whatever. It's unfortunate, but so long as the rest of the stuff is in motion it doesn't mean much.

I agree. Without strategic patience, his rhetorical flourishes don't mean much at all. You could make a compelling argument that they're trivial regardless. That's my point.

A possibility, of course. I'd seriously question whether he feels guys like Pompeo & Mattis are "easy marks", though. Kim's not insane - he knows the guy at the top is a blowhard, but plenty of the people around him at the military level are the real deal. He's not going to be able to wiggle out of the sanctions this time without giving some of the nuke program up in a concrete verifiable manner.

He doesn't know that. Trump has said that his opinion is the only one that matters, and Kim is requesting a direct meeting with the President for that reason. What Mattis thinks is irrelevant if he can fool the man child into shaking hands. That's all he needs. Then, he can say the US is a bad partner when we come back and we realize, "oh no, we just gave away the farm, because we didn't rely on our army of diplomats.. just a crazy old man!" This is Kim's best chance to get what he wants. He couldn't have done that under W. or Obama, because he would have been dealing with an army of bureaucrats... not necessarily so under Trump.

So, yeah, again - if it pans out, Trump's *****ey bluster will be a footnote in the history books, nobody's going to care. If it doesn't pan out, then fine, but we're no worse off than we were before he came into office. Same deal, maniacal rhetoric from North Korea on the verge of combining a missile and a nuke. Same status quo as in 2015-2016.

We absolutely are worse off. There are consequences to your word not being reliable. This kind of rhetoric is against the spirit of multiple international agreements, and the UN. It also implies that our principles are flexible and if you scratch the president's back, he'll scratch yours. That's a terrible precedent that does long term damage to our public image.
Even if this is a success, strategic patience should be credited and not twitter bullying.. come on.

Taking the new tack they're taking has garnered results in the early stages. Who knows where it goes from here, but what we do know is that if we'd kept going as we were they'd have a legit nuke-capable ICBM in a year. So, we might a well try something.
This is an example of how you're trying to have it both ways. Here, your crediting the success on Trump's new tack... and this whole post.. you've been saying, "I never said that it was Trump alone." Okay, well you seem to be confused then. We don't know that at all. As far as we know, this was bound to happen as the international pressure and sanctions continued to sink their teeth in. And the something new that you're suggesting is idle threats? Pardon me, but I don't think that's a viable strategy at all. I don't think we can credit the meeting because of it. And worse, if we do credit that kind of bullish language.. then naturally, we'd move to start using it more, which could have an absolutely devastating effect. Soft power has gotten us to this point; not bluster and not threats. We shouldn't ignore decades of history and assume that a dozen twitter rants had any effect at all.

For one, assuming you believe it. No IAEA inspectors were allowed in, it was just laymen reporters. They witnessed explosions and collapsed tunnels, totally. The extent to which that's a legit deactivation of an active site they've still been using, you'd want an inspector signing off on. Why would you take an NK general's word on it, given their prior shenanigans?

The reports of the destruction of their test site is months old. What happened with reporters is just a show. Their test site was already destroyed in an accident, as well as likely some of their key personal. N. Korea has always been buying time in order to get their testing back on track.

Trump had nothing to do with the accident that destroyed the nuke program.

I really hope the Kushner-Trump, Qatar story blows up again. It really needs investigated, if it's not being already.

So last year Qatar turns down the Kushner family request for a loan for a Kushner family business venture. Very shortly after, Trump declares Qatar a sponsor of terror, and supports a blockade of them. Despite being allies, despite one of our largest military bases being there. Qatar responds, saying they believe the sudden shift in our view on them was due to not supporting the Kushner family.

So, what happened recently?

Qatar announced it would support the Kushner families business venture. Suddenly the WH comes out in support of Qatar, calling them an ally. Asking for an end to the blockade, and Trump personally hosting their leader, and calling him a friend.

Is the US now running mob like schemes? "Back our president, and his families finances, or...ya know...some legs might get broken. Maybe a blockade, or travel ban. Just saying it could happen."

About as much news as the China bribe to Trump.

But yes, Trump runs things like a mob boss. He thinks the military is there to run protection rackets.

In the bizarro world that we live in now, even that wouldn't matter. If conservatives found out that the Trump administration was handing out favors in return for bribes, they'd just be like, "well that's why we elected him. He's a business man."

It's freaking scary how obvious it is, and how they don't care. Really frightening. America may never be the same.

I am slightly concerned with how he is going about how the summit could still be on, and how the aides who talked to reporters after he pulled out said that it would be unlikely to happen on June 11th, don't exist. He is either gaslighting himself and his base, or he is having a senior moment. Which may explain why he doesn't remember getting briefed on watching out for foreign agents when he won the nomination.

He is so racist...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...us-naval-academy-commencement-address/561206/

Tamed the Native Americans? Hispanics? The black slaves? How about the Asian slaves? I know my people did no taming. So beyond attempted genocide and slavery, is there anything else he wants to just act like was a great thing?

Sure if you want to only focus on the worst aspects of American history and the treatment of the natives. But dont forget that our ancestors had to battle unknown diseases, unimaginable hardships, separation from family, thousands of miles of unknown wilderness, starvation, new wildlife, survive wars, build a transcontinental railroad, and worked their asses off to make this continent into the USA. Comparing modern America to 17th century North America I'd say "tame" is a pretty good way of describing what was done to this continent.

And I'm fairly certain my ancestors would agree that they had to tame the land when they first arrived in the NC wilderness in the 18th century. They didnt arrive and find a safe prefabricated farm.

Sure if you want to only focus on the worst aspects of American history and the treatment of the natives. But dont forget that our ancestors had to battle unknown diseases, unimaginable hardships, separation from family, thousands of miles of unknown wilderness, starvation, new wildlife, survive wars, build a transcontinental railroad, and worked their asses off to make this continent into the USA. Comparing modern America to 17th century North America I'd say "tame" is a pretty good way of describing what was done to this continent.

And I'm fairly certain my ancestors would agree that they had to tame the land when they first arrived in the NC wilderness in the 18th century. They didnt arrive and find a safe prefabricated farm.
Who is this ours? That is the obvious and clear error with this idea. It places all of America history, and its people in a very particular box, ignoring a vast amount of USA and its citizens history.

How about the diseases and hardships that were brought to this land for those already here? How about the families they separated through death? How about the wars they started? How did they build that transcontinental railroad? Why would one ignore genocide and slavery when speaking about creating this nation, when they are fundamental to the nation's creation?

Last edited:
He tweeted a message to mark the day early Monday, which was immediately met with scorn for primarily celebrating his own accomplishments: "Happy Memorial Day! Those who died for our great country would be very happy and proud at how well our country is doing today. Best economy in decades, lowest unemployment numbers for Blacks and Hispanics EVER (& women in 18years), rebuilding our Military and so much more. Nice!"

His me me me! crap getting ridiculous

I really hope the Kushner-Trump, Qatar story blows up again. It really needs investigated, if it's not being already.

So last year Qatar turns down the Kushner family request for a loan for a Kushner family business venture. Very shortly after, Trump declares Qatar a sponsor of terror, and supports a blockade of them. Despite being allies, despite one of our largest military bases being there. Qatar responds, saying they believe the sudden shift in our view on them was due to not supporting the Kushner family.

So, what happened recently?

Qatar announced it would support the Kushner families business venture. Suddenly the WH comes out in support of Qatar, calling them an ally. Asking for an end to the blockade, and Trump personally hosting their leader, and calling him a friend.

Is the US now running mob like schemes? "Back our president, and his families finances, or...ya know...some legs might get broken. Maybe a blockade, or travel ban. Just saying it could happen."

In the bizarro world that we live in now, even that wouldn't matter. If conservatives found out that the Trump administration was handing out favors in return for bribes, they'd just be like, "well that's why we elected him. He's a business man."

It's freaking scary how obvious it is, and how they don't care. Really frightening. America may never be the same.

Hey you guys remember a week or so ago when Trump announced a big plan to back Chinese phone maker ZTE?

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Ivanka Trump being approved for multiple Chinese patents right?

Must be one of those cowinky-dinks we hear about all the time huh?

"Our ancestors"? Just off the top of my head, there's at least 7 things wrong with this statement and the context in which its used here.

edit: what a shame you edited it. Or maybe shame was the motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"