F'dup Chapters in American History(The Trump Years) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not gonna lie, every time I see "Space Force" in these posts, my brain keeps initially seeing it as "Space Farce" (and somehow, that seems entirely appropriate).

As for what's happening at the border, I am so beyond disgusted as a Christian and (yes I'm saying it) as someone who's registered as a Republican** This policy is so massively beyond wrong and the fact that the idiot in the white house is using what is essentially government sanctioned child abuse as a flippin' bargaining chip... There are not even words for how sick this makes me feel.

**Just a note on me being a registered Republican since I've never really stated my political views on these boards. I am NOT one of those that votes pure party when it comes to general elections, I actually voted for quite a few democrats & independents last GE (and I voted for Hillary for President... she wouldn't have been perfect, but she would have been LOADS better than the massive mess we got), and probably will again this fall... in fact, at this point, the only reason I'm willing to remain registered as a Republican is so I can vote in my state's primaries and try to get some more reasonable/more moderate (and not so hardcore "all R-party all the time") voices into the mix (if possible).

Anywho....yeah.

I'm not gonna lie, every time I see "Space Force" in these posts, my brain keeps initially seeing it as "Space Farce" (and somehow, that seems entirely appropriate).

As for what's happening at the border, I am so beyond disgusted as a Christian and (yes I'm saying it) as someone who's registered as a Republican** This policy is so massively beyond wrong and the fact that the idiot in the white house is using what is essentially government sanctioned child abuse as a flippin' bargaining chip... There are not even words for how sick this makes me feel.

**Just a note on me being a registered Republican since I've never really stated my political views on these boards. I am NOT one of those that votes pure party when it comes to general elections, I actually voted for quite a few democrats & independents last GE (and I voted for Hillary for President... she wouldn't have been perfect, but she would have been LOADS better than the massive mess we got), and probably will again this fall... in fact, at this point, the only reason I'm willing to remain registered as a Republican is so I can vote in my state's primaries and try to get some more reasonable/more moderate (and not so hardcore "all R-party all the time") voices into the mix (if possible).

Anywho....yeah.

I appreciate everything you just said. I only wish there were more like you out there willing to put party aside and vote for the betterment of the country. Thank you so much for being a level headed Republican. We need more of you

Where can I apply for Space Force?

I have zero qualifications other than the fact I used to play with Star Wars toys.
If you're willing to have at least one side scream about how you abused their childhood, you're hired.

I would grab them by the articulated hips.

Where can I apply for Space Force?

I have zero qualifications other than the fact I used to play with Star Wars toys.

That’s more than you can say about the President’s qualifications.

That’s more than you can say about the President’s qualifications.

He reminds me of a toddler.

"I want to erase everything that guy I hate did, even the good stuff! I believe everything told to me, even conspiracy theories, because the news channel that praises me said so! Bad people who are poor, and a different color want in, so build a wall, or mote! I know how to keep us safe, a space force!"

It really does read like a 5 year olds homework assignment...if the 5 year old was racist, xenophobic, homophobic, zealot.

So the US under Trump pulls out of the Paris Climate Change Accord, wants to turn its military alliances into Mafia-like extortion/protection rackets, imposes tariffs on its allies, cozies up to dictators, and now pulls out of the UN Human Rights Commission when it objects to its immigration practices?

Is that not like the definition of a rogue nation? I really wish people hadn't thrown that insult at the US under W. because it's desensitized us to the real thing. This is insane.

US poised to announce exit from UN human rights council

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley will deliver the verdict on the U.N. Human Rights Council in a joint appearance at the State Department, according to four officials familiar with the matter.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly preview the decision, the specifics of which are to be laid out by Haley.

Haley threatened the pull-out last year, citing longstanding U.S. complaints that the 47-member council is biased against Israel. But the announcement will also come just a day after the U.N. human rights chief denounced the Trump administration for separating migrant children from their parents.

The move extends a broader Trump administration pattern of stepping back from international agreements and forums under the president's "America First" policy.

Although numerous officials have said repeatedly that "America First does not mean America Alone," the administration has retreated from multiple multilateral accords and consensuses since it took office.

Since Jan. 2017, it has announced its withdrawal from the Paris climate accord, left the U.N. educational and cultural organization and pulled out of the Iran nuclear deal. Other contentious moves have included slapping tariffs on steel and aluminum against key trading partners, recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital and moving the U.S. Embassy to the holy city from Tel Aviv.

Haley has been the driving force behind withdrawing from the human rights body, which would be unprecedented in the 12-year history of the council. No country has ever dropped out voluntarily. Libya was kicked out seven years ago.

The move could reinforce the perception that the Trump administration is seeking to advance Israel's agenda on the world stage, just as it prepares to unveil its long-awaited Israeli-Palestinian peace plan despite Palestinian outrage over the embassy relocation. Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, is visiting the Middle East this week as the White House works to lay the groundwork for unveiling the plan.

Last year, Haley warned the Geneva-based council that the U.S. would withdraw if it did not end its systematic scrutiny of Israel and alleged Israeli rights abuses against Palestinians.

She denounced the council as a "forum for politics, hypocrisy and evasion" and accused member countries such as Venezuela, Cuba, China, Burundi and Saudi Arabia of failing to fulfill their duties to "uphold the highest standards" of human rights, while emphasizing what she said was the council's anti-Israel bias.

Since last year, Haley's office has also pushed the council and its chief not to publish a U.N. database of companies operating in West Bank settlements, a so-called blacklist that Israel is concerned could drive companies away and cast a further pall over its presence in the Palestinian-claimed West Bank.

Israel is the only country in the world whose rights record comes up for discussion at every council session, under "Item 7" on the agenda. Item 7 on "Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories" has been part of the council's regular business almost as long as it has existed.

The officials said the administration had concluded that its efforts to promote reform on the council had failed and that withdrawal was the only step it could take to demonstrate its seriousness. It was not immediately clear if the U.S. would remain a non-voting observer on the council.

A full pullout by the U.S. would leave the council without one of its traditional defenders of human rights. In recent months, the United States has participated in attempts to pinpoint rights violations in places like South Sudan, Congo and Cambodia.

Reaction to the anticipated move from human rights advocates was swift.

"The Trump administration's withdrawal is a sad reflection of its one-dimensional human rights policy: Defending Israeli abuses from criticism takes precedence above all else," said Kenneth Roth, the executive director of Human Rights Watch.

"All Trump seems to care about is defending Israel," he said, adding that it would be up to the remaining members to ensure that the council addresses serious abuses.

There are 47 countries in the Human Rights Council, elected by the U.N.'s General Assembly with a specific number of seats allocated for each region of the globe. Members serve for three-year terms and can serve only two terms in a row.

The United States has opted to stay out of the Human Rights Council before: The administration of President George W. Bush decided against seeking membership when the council was created in 2006. The U.S. joined the body only in 2009 under President Barack Obama.

A pullout could be largely symbolic: The United States' current term on the council ends next year, when it could revert to the observer status held by other countries that are not members. In that situation, the U.S. would be able to speak out on rights abuses, but not to vote.

A key question will be where a U.S. pullout would leave Israel if its biggest and most powerful defender abandons its voting rights or drops out of the council altogether.

The State Department's website says protection of fundamental human rights was a "foundation stone" for the United States' creation over two centuries ago and that promoting respect for human rights since has been a "central goal" of U.S. foreign policy.

It’s fine with me because frankly our actions of late wouldn’t make us worthy of a seat.

Late to the party, but always fun to see myself get name dropped in some disgruntled former user's fiction writing.

Was someone just nuked? (i mean that in the sense of this forum.... not in real life)

McClatchy - Buyers tied to Russia, former Soviet republics paid $109 million cash for Trump properties

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article210477439.html

I know it's impossible to do it with a GOP-controlled Congress, but I really hope all these illegal backroom deals that involve Trump's finances will come into light once Democrats can win the House and/or Senate in the future; there's enough to prosecute Trump and his underlings for corruption charges already.

Well, we can't say Trump hasn't had an affect. He's proving how much impact a single election can have in a very short time, we've almost done a complete 180.

Inbetween praising dictators, and propping up white supremacists. Backing out of several deals (Paris, Iran, now this). Assaulting our own allies in trade, words, and policy. Officially recognizing Alex Jones conspiracy theories. Downplaying other countries interference in our democracy. Ignoring our own laws. Daily scandals. Threatening consequences if other countries don't cough up cash. Threatening nuclear action, ect.

I wouldn't blame other countries for not being able to trust us anymore. We can literally go from friends, to bitter neighbors every 4 years. It is telling though that Trump would rather leave the UN human rights council, than stop separating children from their parents.

Anyone else find it super unsettling that there’s questions about where all the detained girls are?

Anyone else find it super unsettling that there’s questions about where all the detained girls are?

A story a few months ago was about girls being denied medical services, because the person Trump put in charge of overseeing them was an anti-abortionist. A judge ordered him to let the doctors in, and they still dragged their feet on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the girls haven't been shown for similar reasons. Maybe some kind of mandatory sex education class, or pregnant girls being denied doctor visits. It's literally happened before with this same administration.

Usually when people compare Trump to Hitler I think it's an inappropriate comparison. But between these Nazi style tactics they are using at the border and now using words like "infest" he is officially in 1930s Hitler territory.

As George Takei pointed out on Facebook, even the internment camps for Japanese-Americans during WWII didn't separate families.

They just lie about it. They just keep lying, while torturing children. Babies even. Its... what is this?

They just lie about it. They just keep lying, while torturing children. Babies even. Its... what is this?

A new "tender age" facility is being opened in South Texas for infants and toddlers. :csad:

What the **** happened to us.

He won and we did nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"