Female Role Models in DC Universe

If you re-read the scene he doesn't really let Superman go...he does it to toy with WW...his goal wasn't admitting defeat, he was merely proving a point that he could do it whenever he wanted...as a matter of fact while he's tied up he points out to Diana that now he's making Superman see Lois getting torn to shreds...he doesn't release Superman he merely changes what he's seeing...
He temporarily let go of Superman to prove his point. But Wonder Woman still had plenty of time to simply knock him out before he retook control of Superman. She didn't have to break his neck.

But if not...prove me wrong...what would you have done in Diana's place...
Me, if I were a superhero, I would be a devout follower of Superman's ideology and would be going WWSD. I personally tend to put Superman on a pedestal that all superheroes should try to aspire to and look down on anti-heroes like Wolverine and the Punisher.

So if I were in Diana's position, after Max said "Kill me," I would have punched him so hard that he would have blacked out for a while. With Max unconscious, there would be no fear of another Superman rampage because Max had let go of Superman temporarily to prove his point that he had complete control of everything. And then I would have gone to the Watchtower with Max as prisoner and do what Batman did to Ra's al Ghul after the Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul, dope him up with a lot of drugs so he won't be able to think coherently and ensure that the prison had a lot of psychic dampeners so that he couldn't get control of Superman again.

To me this isn't a comic book logic vs real life logic...this is a common sense issue...whether you are super powered or not...this is "What do you when you are faced with the real possibility of World War"...how far do you go to truly stop the threat whether morally bound or not...

So instead of killing him you would fill him with drugs and tamper with his mind....

yeah real heroic...and very contradictory when you start it off by saying i would think WWSD and ended up acting like Batman...those two would do almost the exact opposite thing in any given situation lol...

You actually would favor a fate worse then death IMO...and that shows that your morality is very slanted...

Doping someone up so they don't know who they are and tampering with their mind is like prolonged torture...Diana showed mercy and ended it quickly...

They could have put Max in the Phantom Zone

I do not have a problem with WW killing Max Lord to save the world from him but playing devils advocate they could have done that instead

Max could not control Superman if he was in the Phantom Zone

So instead of killing him you would fill him with drugs and tamper with his mind....

yeah real heroic...and very contradictory when you start it off by saying i would think WWSD and ended up acting like Batman...those two would do almost the exact opposite thing in any given situation lol...

You actually would favor a fate worse then death IMO...and that shows that your morality is very slanted...

Doping someone up so they don't know who they are and tampering with their mind is like prolonged torture...Diana showed mercy and ended it quickly...
See...me personally, I don't even really agree that mindwiping a villain is a worse punishment than killing them. When you commit a crime, you lose certain liberties and rights, and what those specific liberties and rights actually are is pretty much decided arbitrarily by the prevailing government. Rape and murder, for instance, are more heinous crimes than littering and theft and therefore are punished more severely, at further lengths. Maybe it includes simple incarceration. Maybe it includes capital punishment. Maybe it includes chemical castration and behavioral modification. What makes one morally worse than the other? Sure, mindwiping is cruel and unusual in that it does irrevocable damage to your identity, maybe even make you lose it entirely...but y'all know what else does that? Snapping someone's neck.

But I understand why someone would see it differently. To someone like Wonder Woman, one's right to identity is more important to one's right to life. So even if I personally might have acted differently in that situation, like I said, I find it interesting to portray someone else in a different light.

I agree with Wonder Woman on that

Altering someone's personality or behaviour is far far worse than taking their life

Altering who someone is is an act that is wholly evil no matter why it is done or who it is done to

You can't apply it to just about any hero or villain. The equivalent situation would be the equivalent situation: "An irredeemable villain gives a hero no choice but to kill them, either by mind-controlling Superman into putting lives at risk, or by any other means." And not just the situation, either; we're talking about all sorts of different heroes and villains with all sorts of different temperaments, power sets, and options at their disposal. Superman himself probably would have reacted differently than Wonder Woman did if their positions were reversed, but they weren't. We got the situation that we got. These stories would be pointless to read, after all, if every single confrontation between heroes and villains could be boiled down to an easily-predictable template every single time. What if Batman was in Wonder Woman's shoes at that point in time? What would he have done? Green Lantern? Aquaman? Zatanna? What if the villain in question was Despero or Grodd instead of Max? The options and circumstances change for all of these, and the logic that I applied to Max wouldn't apply to all of them.

Circe, for instance. She's got godlike magical abilities, controls minds, turns people into animals, is all-around an incredibly dangerous foe...but she instantly loses her powers and becomes a normal woman when you surround her with moly. That makes incarcerating her a very workable option, without having to resort to mind-tampering. Also, she's been shown to be open to reform in the past; there was a time where she was even Diana's ally. Finally, the existence of her daughter Lyta gives her something to reform for. Immediately we see how different she is from Max and how the same logic wouldn't apply to the two of them at all.

And again, Wonder Woman has never subscribed to the no-kill rule. Yes, she has displayed mercy and redeemed quite a number of foes...and she has also killed her enemies when the situation called for it. If you place her in a situation exactly equivalent to the Max Lord scenario then, yeah, I would totally expect her to do the exact same thing. The times where she killed Deimos and Medousa, for instance, are very comparable: lives were at risk and she definitively ended the threat. No one seems to want to concede this point, but the only difference between them and Max Lord was that he didn't have snakes for hair.

And none of this is even touching on the fact that the JLA itself has come across situations where it apparently decided that it was okay to kill its enemies. The JLA killed Gamemnae in the Obsidian Age. They killed Z in New Maps of Hell. They killed Imperiex by tossing him at the Big Bang. They were fully prepared to kill Fernus, despite the fact that he was once the Martian Manhunter. (Superman's exact words: "Finish this. Whatever it takes.") (Hell, arguably they did end up killing Fernus if you take the position that he was a wholly separate lifeform from J'onn, at the end) There's probably a ton more instances that I can't think of off the top of my head. There is such a thing as always trying to find a better way, but the fact is that we've all seen many instances where superheroes were forced to go with options other than incarceration or redemption. Sometimes it has to do with the species of the foe in question. Other times it has to do with their threat level (Gamemnae was human). And we probably didn't even bat an eye when we read them.

Eh, I guess. Still seems like your whole rationalization to this could be applied to a lot of other super villains, but obviously we don't agree so I'm not going to go any farther.

I do think that this is the most defensible argument in favor of superheroes not killing; they're not cops, they are not licensed by the authorities for lethal force, their one and only job is to subdue criminals for due process. If the law decides not to pursue capital punishment, well, that's up to the law to decide, not for superheroes.

But that's a legal issue; it has no ethical foundation. Ethically, there is no difference between a cop or a superhero killing to save lives when there is no other option available to them.
No, you missed my point. I wasn't talking about the legal or the ethical points; I was talking about the fictional, or maybe more metafictional, implications of that story.

To me this isn't a comic book logic vs real life logic...this is a common sense issue...whether you are super powered or not...this is "What do you when you are faced with the real possibility of World War"...how far do you go to truly stop the threat whether morally bound or not...

Well to me, this is exactly what it is. You simply cannot ignore, no matter how much readers and writers try to, that you are talking about a world of superheroes and super powers, of fantastical worlds, universes, and heroes that have managed to stop these situations before without killing anyone. I guess it's just become the Pandora's Box of Watchmen that these situations and heroes have been deconstructed to the point that we have to inject this 'realism' to these heroes and situations, without realizing how much of a paradox it truly creates.

Max Lord deserves it. It's a fate worse than death (just like Superman's Phantom Zone) yet without the barbaric use of killing someone.

Also, I really don't consider Batman and Superman to be the exact opposite. Their goals are the same, it's just the methods that are different. Often when thinking, What Would Superman Do?, the same thing applies with Batman. The fact that they share the same values on life, justice, and other principles is why they are best friends.

He deserves a fate worse than death, but killing him is barbaric? At least Diana's consistent in her actions. When pressed, she's killed everything from mythological beasts to space aliens to robots to humans, but she does it when there's no other viable options.

Originally Posted by Stallion9979

Originally Posted by Tron Bonne
Well to me, this is exactly what it is. You simply cannot ignore, no matter how much readers and writers try to, that you are talking about a world of superheroes and super powers, of fantastical worlds, universes, and heroes that have managed to stop these situations before without killing anyone. I guess it's just become the Pandora's Box of Watchmen that these situations and heroes have been deconstruction to the point that we have to inject this 'realism' to these heroes and situations, without realizing how much of a paradox it truly creates.

This isn't about deconstruction and Watchmenism or anything like that...this is about being faced with the possibility of choosing one evil act to preserve a greater good...these super powered beings face universe shattering events and yes there are ways that death can be avoided but probability dictates that eventually they have to make that decision as she did...you can't explain away everything with "heroes don't ever kill" some threats are larger then others and its been stated in other posts that there have been other examples of heroes committing murder and no one batting an eyelash...i think the problem here is that people think because Max was a flesh and blood human as opposed to some alien and/or godlike being that bothers people...this is actually a concept thats explored in a WW follow up to killing Max when she confronts one of Max's sleeper agents and he points out that all monsters aren't easily identifiable...it makes it harder to accept when its a human thats killed as opposed to a visually recognizable monster...

Max Lord deserves it. It's a fate worse than death (just like Superman's Phantom Zone) yet without the barbaric use of killing someone.

saying he doesn't deserve to die he actually deserves something even worse means that you don't have a problem with Diana killing him...you simply think that it wasn't tough enough a punishment...

P.S. I never really dug the idea behind the whole phantom zone's use...I feel like its a way out to not have to take the step of actually ending a threat decisively...you don't want Superman to kill but there's no way to effectively imprison the criminal so let's banish him...its a half measure...I liked the JLU episode "Doomsday Sanction" where at the end they banish Doomsday to the zone and Bruce voices his displeasure at heroes taking such measures...he compares Clark and Diana to the Justice Lords...

Also, I really don't consider Batman and Superman to be the exact opposite. Their goals are the same, it's just the methods that are different. Often when thinking, What Would Superman Do?, the same thing applies with Batman. The fact that they share the same values on life, justice, and other principles is why they are best friends.

I can go with your statement but when you say you would think WWSD it wouldn't be handling a situation like Batman...and no because its their methods that is exactly what makes them opposites...two people can hold similar views but its their actions in enforcing them that can make them very different...

Well to me, this is exactly what it is. You simply cannot ignore, no matter how much readers and writers try to, that you are talking about a world of superheroes and super powers, of fantastical worlds, universes, and heroes that have managed to stop these situations before without killing anyone. I guess it's just become the Pandora's Box of Watchmen that these situations and heroes have been deconstructed to the point that we have to inject this 'realism' to these heroes and situations, without realizing how much of a paradox it truly creates.

I really don't think it is a paradox. There's nothing paradoxical about taking these larger than life characters and putting them into no-win scenarios. It might be bad continuity if the writer ignores an aspect of that universe that would allow for a different outcome, but if they cover their bases then how is it a paradox for a character like Superman or Spider-Man or Wonder Woman to be in a situation where, whatever choice they make, something bad is going to happen?

Stallion9979 said:
P.S. I never really dug the idea behind the whole phantom zone's use...I feel like its a way out to not have to take the step of actually ending a threat decisively...you don't want Superman to kill but there's no way to effectively imprison the criminal so let's banish him...its a half measure...I liked the JLU episode "Doomsday Sanction" where at the end they banish Doomsday to the zone and Bruce voices his displeasure at heroes taking such measures...he compares Clark and Diana to the Justice Lords...

Never understood why Bruce got so :cmad:

He puts criminals in Arkham. That place is way worse than the Phantom Zone :wow:

Never understood why Bruce got so :cmad:

He puts criminals in Arkham. That place is way worse than the Phantom Zone :wow:

He doesn't put them there. The courts do. He really has no say in the matter.

Ignoring real world morality and laws in a superhero universe is just as bad an idea as ignoring that these are superpowered heroes having fantastical adventures. The best stories have always been the ones that have been able to balance the two, the ones that make fantasy applicable and recognizable to our own lives. The more outlandish your fantasy, the more important it is to make it understandable in realistic terms. Push it too far in terms of always letting anything happen simply because these are superhero characters, and you tear suspension of disbelief to shreds; "That would never happen." "That's lame." And of course, make it too "photorealistic" and at some point you end up in an entirely different -- and probably much more boring -- genre.

Watchmen isn't the first or only story that ever examined morality in a superhero universe, after all. The notion that these stories somehow become less superheroic when you apply real world elements simply isn't true. From Superman to Spider-Man to the X-Men, superheroes have always been examinations of the real world in some form or another.

Last edited:
Ignoring real world morality and laws in a superhero universe is just as bad an idea as ignoring that these are superpowered heroes having fantastical adventures. The best stories have always been the ones that have been able to balance the two, the ones that make fantasy applicable and recognizable to our own lives. The more outlandish your fantasy, the more important it is to make it understandable in realistic terms. Push it too far in terms of always letting anything happen simply because these are superhero characters, and you tear suspension of disbelief to shreds; "That would never happen." "That's lame." And of course, make it too "photorealistic" and at some point you end up in an entirely different -- and probably much more boring -- genre.

Watchmen isn't the first or only story that ever examined morality in a superhero universe, after all. The notion that these stories somehow become less superheroic when you apply real world elements simply isn't true. From Superman to Spider-Man to the X-Men, superheroes have always been examinations of the real world in some form or another.

And any negative impact Watchmen had on the industry had nothing to do with the story having it's characters with varried moral outlooks in a tough ethical situation. It's that other writers saw Watchmen's success and assumed that it was because it was grimdark, so we got a sea of comics with completely pointless violence and moodiness, wheras what mad Watchmen great is that it had a very thoughtful and nuanced analysis of morals with really well developed characters that you cared about, or at least found very interesting.

I really don't think it is a paradox. There's nothing paradoxical about taking these larger than life characters and putting them into no-win scenarios. It might be bad continuity if the writer ignores an aspect of that universe that would allow for a different outcome, but if they cover their bases then how is it a paradox for a character like Superman or Spider-Man or Wonder Woman to be in a situation where, whatever choice they make, something bad is going to happen?

Well, I think I've dissectied this idea of the 'no-win' scenario in superhero fiction to show that is kind of a paradox in and of itself, but that's not what I meant.

It's paradoxical to try and apply all this level of realistic logic and mulling into a universe where it doesn't work. What I was trying to get out with the Legion issue I mentioned before was that 'real world' logic simply doesn't work. Like with BW was trying to compare these superheroes killing to cops killing. That example doesn't hold weight, because ultimately, they aren't cops. They're superheroes from a fantastical place, filled with strange things like resurrections and Gods walking freely among men, that isn't our world, or a real one (at least not real in the flesh and blood sense). What I was mostly talking about was all this 'Well, what should you do if someone is a killer', 'What would you do to stop a war', 'What would you do to...' etc. Like the cop example, you can't really apply because it doesn't work, for one, and when you do you run into a lot of paradoxes and flaws that renders the question more or less meaningless.

For example, killing Max Lord was the right way to go because it was no other choice, but with the right imagination, there was at least 2 or 3 different options that Wonder Woman had instead of killing him. Of course, it's justified to kill Maxwell Lord because he's a monster, and he'll just kill again. Of course, he just came back to life and is running amok. Would it have been any different to have him locked away with psychic damping powers, only to have him be able to escape during Blackest Night instead of being resurrected. So, then, what the hell does it matter at all? That's what I was trying to get at with my whole 'death is meaningless', because it is in their world. You see the paradox here? The killing debate is the big time when this comes up, but it's always there when you try to apply real world logic to a superhero logic. Like, not too long ago, someone asked how it was that Mr. Fantastic can invent so much, but still not find a cure for cancer or figure out how to stop aging. And it's a valid point, because realistically he could, and the whole thing falls out and out apart. Of course, that leads to the rationalizations that 'Well, he is smart, but he's just not that smart in that area...', which okay, is a neat little way to BS out of the situation, but of all the geniuses that greatly succeeded anyone in the real world, there's no way one of them couldn't.

It's a paradox. Of course, that's not to say no bit of our world can't come into their world, which leads me to this....

I've never said anything about 'ignoring' the real world. Like The Question earlier, you're twisting what I'm saying of too much real world weight into no real world weight. Of course, parts of our world will come into it, where else would these idealism I've been taking about come from? X-Men as an analogy for outsiders, Superman as the best of the best, Wonder Woman coming from a society of pure equity, and etc. But no, I think there is a cutoff point when the two worlds just don't intersect properly. The best way I can think to describe it is their universe is an image of ours. There is things at the core that make them both root to on another, but the image is fantastical and fictionalized. The more and more you try to inject this realism and rationalization, the more and more the paradoxical nature of it begins to display itself, unless ultimately, the only option you have is to strip it down to the basics of the basics, and try to create something that does resemble the real world.

And of course, there have been other books besides Watchmen to do what I was talking about, but it was really the first to do it so well and so mainstream. That's why I refer to it as the Pandora's Box and not, say, The Authority or Superfolk.

And any negative impact Watchmen had on the industry had nothing to do with the story having it's characters with varried moral outlooks in a tough ethical situation. It's that other writers saw Watchmen's success and assumed that it was because it was grimdark, so we got a sea of comics with completely pointless violence and moodiness, wheras what mad Watchmen great is that it had a very thoughtful and nuanced analysis of morals with really well developed characters that you cared about, or at least found very interesting.

Oh, I agree, and I don't mean anything as a slight against the book itself.

I think that's the consensus generally. That's why I get so irritated by many fans of Rorschach.

I think, in that case, you're getting into Deus Ex Machina territory.

Exactly backwards.

I'm stretching a bit on this one, but I don't think we're even 100% sure that knocking Max out automatically negates his control of Superman. He was already controlling him with subliminal codewords and across vast distances. In retrospect I'm kind of surprised that killing him wouldn't somehow trigger an even worse response in Superman, though I suppose the point was that he didn't ever expect anyone, least of all Wonder Woman, to actually go through and kill him.

The entire point of his plan was to make Wonder Woman kill him.

You don't think cops should be allowed to use guns, then?

Hahahahahahaha what

"premeditated killings of incapacitated foes = JUST LIKE taking away all police officers' guns forever and then literally blindfolding, handcuffing, and gagging them, giving criminals free reign over America" - Johanes Mehserle Fan Club president Brian "Beedub" Willingshams.

Last edited:
My female role model in DC is the pre post-crisis crisis Cassandra Cain

Cause she thought killin' people was wrong

(also because she was a totally fantastic character)

Gotta respect a lady who knows how to handle her Mega Rod.

Barda was pretty neat

Mentioning the New Gods just reminds me how much I miss her Knockout and Mr Miracle :csad:

;_;

Like with BW was trying to compare these superheroes killing to cops killing. That example doesn't hold weight, because ultimately, they aren't cops. They're superheroes from a fantastical place, filled with strange things like resurrections and Gods walking freely among men, that isn't our world, or a real one (at least not real in the flesh and blood sense). What I was mostly talking about was all this 'Well, what should you do if someone is a killer', 'What would you do to stop a war', 'What would you do to...' etc. Like the cop example, you can't really apply because it doesn't work, for one, and when you do you run into a lot of paradoxes and flaws that renders the question more or less meaningless.
Why doesn't it apply? Morality doesn't become irrelevant just because you shift the players around. You say that the reason cops are allowed to kill but superheroes aren't is because superheroes' superpowers give them the option not to. Sure ,that's true for normal criminals and even most supervillains, but occasionally there are threats that give superheroes no options but to kill them. We've seen them over and over again, it's just that they coincidentally don't look human most of the time. If the only difference between cops and superheroes is the options that their relative power levels allow them, then what's the difference when the criminals in question are also upscaled in power? There's no paradox here, it's just an ethical question.

I'll always love Wonder Woman snapping Max Lord's neck because it forces these questions out in the open instead of politely hidden away so that people don't have to think about it. "Wonder Woman has to be better than a cop because...she just does. She's a hero!" "Max Lord is different from Medousa because...he just is!"

I've never said anything about 'ignoring' the real world. Like The Question earlier, you're twisting what I'm saying of too much real world weight into no real world weight. Of course, parts of our world will come into it, where else would these idealism I've been taking about come from? X-Men as an analogy for outsiders, Superman as the best of the best, Wonder Woman coming from a society of pure equity, and etc. But no, I think there is a cutoff point when the two worlds just don't intersect properly. The best way I can think to describe it is their universe is an image of ours. There is things at the core that make them both root to on another, but the image is fantastical and fictionalized. The more and more you try to inject this realism and rationalization, the more and more the paradoxical nature of it begins to display itself, unless ultimately, the only option you have is to strip it down to the basics of the basics, and try to create something that does resemble the real world.
They don't always intersect properly, but seeing where the real world gives way to the fantasy, and vice versa, is one of the best and most interesting things about comic books. When you think about it, Rucka's entire DC comics career is based off of these intersections. And part of the fun of reading a completely fantastical, off the rails writer like Grant Morrison is that even he's intimately aware of where, how, and why the lines between fantasy rules and reality rules intersect; if you look back over his JLA run, it's a constant examination of morality, over and over again. "It's a superhero comic!" is a poor excuse to shy away from those cutoff points between fantastic and realistic and, frankly, very few writers have ever subscribed to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"