FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer Novelization due out April 24?

I've read 1/2 of the book....I enjoyed it so much that I want to save the rest for the movie.....I'll read the other half after the movie....

You will, will you... sure, whatever you say. :cwink:

You will, will you... sure, whatever you say. :cwink:

I brought it home lastnight.....didn't open it.....I REALLY SCREWED UP LAST TIME READING THE 3 SCRIPTS AND THE NOVELIZATION.....I truly believe I would have enjoyed the movie so much more had I not done that.....I don't want to do that again. I really did enjoy the first half of the novelization, I want to enjoy this movie to its fullest potential....I don't want to jeopardize that by knowing too much.

I brought it home lastnight.....didn't open it.....I REALLY SCREWED UP LAST TIME READING THE 3 SCRIPTS AND THE NOVELIZATION.....I truly believe I would have enjoyed the movie so much more had I not done that.....I don't want to do that again. I really did enjoy the first half of the novelization, I want to enjoy this movie to its fullest potential....I don't want to jeopardize that by knowing too much.

The thing with this one (and, no, I'm not trying to tempt you into reading the rest of it:cwink: ) is that the descriptions are so sparse, and the actions sequences so (potentially) spectacular, that the book can only give you a very rough idea of what the film will actually look like.

By this time last film, we had already seen photos of nearly all the scenes, so we could link that in with the novel and scripts and get a pretty good feel for what the whole thing would look like, but we've seen next to nothing on this one.

Film in general is a visual medium, and that applies ten-fold to this story. If they can actually pull off some of these visuals, it should really be something to see. That's why I actually felt more anxious to see the movie after I read the book than I was before.

I have only one pressing question:

How does one trademark the phrase "Super Hero" (see photo of back cover of novel) and who would be so bold as to attempt such an act?

The thing with this one (and, no, I'm not trying to tempt you into reading the rest of it:cwink: ) is that the descriptions are so sparse, and the actions sequences so (potentially) spectacular, that the book can only give you a very rough idea of what the film will actually look like.

By this time last film, we had already seen photos of nearly all the scenes, so we could link that in with the novel and scripts and get a pretty good feel for what the whole thing would look like, but we've seen next to nothing on this one.

Film in general is a visual medium, and that applies ten-fold to this story. If they can actually pull off some of these visuals, it should really be something to see. That's why I actually felt more anxious to see the movie after I read the book than I was before.

*sighs* well as I stated above....I finished it....lmao......couldn't help it.

And I agree with you.....if they can take what we read to the big screen and do it justice, this could be VERY EPIC IN SCOPE.....

So... Let's be clear on this:

The solution to stopping Galactus- the Devourer of Worlds- a being with Godlike power- is

The Surfer leading his armada away from the Earth like a buglite? And WTF is Galactus represented by a swarm of ships anyway? And WTF is Galactus represented by a swarm of ships anyway?

:rolleyes:

That is EXACTLY how I felt after I finished it......

I have only one pressing question:

How does one trademark the phrase "Super Hero" (see photo of back cover of novel) and who would be so bold as to attempt such an act?

As far as I know, Marvel & DC have jointly owned the trademark "superhero" since the early 1980's.
I remember it causing a ripple of discontent among independent publishers.
Now only Marvel & DC could call a character a "superhero."

As far as I know, Marvel & DC have jointly owned the trademark "superhero" since the early 1980's.
I remember it causing a ripple of discontent among independent publishers.
Now only Marvel & DC could call a character a "superhero."

But Stan Lee's "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" is produced by his new company POW!, so how can he use it?

But Stan Lee's "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" is produced by his new company POW!, so how can he use it?

I don't know. I've noticed it being used by other media entities in recent years, too.
Maybe the trademark was contested at some point.
Of course there it is on the book...

I found this story on the "superhero" trademark being enforced last year.
They apparently went after an acclaimed indy comic called "Superhero Happy Hour":
shhhtradecover300.jpg

From NEWSARAMA.com:
Dan Taylor, creator of the critically acclaimed "Super Hero Happy Hour," published by GeekPunk has announced that the name of his series has had to change, due to Marvel and DC co-owning the term “Super Hero.” It’s just "Hero Happy Hour" from here on out.
The series had found fans in Brian Bendis, Gail Simone, and Mark Waid and was named “Concept We Wish We’d Thought Of” by Wizard Magazine in their Best of 2003 listing.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8650

I don't know. I've noticed it being used by other media entities in recent years, too.
Maybe the trademark was contested at some point.
Of course there it is on the book...

most people use the term superhero generically

most people use the term superhero generically

Its really no different than restaurants not using the "typical" melody and words that goes with "Happy Birthday"....if you notice....restaurants have their own versions.

The reason for that is because Michael Jackson bought the rights to the words and melody of "Happy Birthday" and they could get sued for using it without his permission......

Its crazy, but thats the world today.....

So... Let's be clear on this:

The solution to stopping Galactus- the Devourer of Worlds- a being with Godlike power- is

The Surfer leading his armada away from the Earth like a buglite? And WTF is Galactus represented by a swarm of ships anyway? And WTF is Galactus represented by a swarm of ships anyway?

:rolleyes:

No.

Galactus is not the cloud. I've already put $100 up on the other thread backing that assertion up.

No.

Galactus is not the cloud. I've already put $100 up on the other thread backing that assertion up.

You're hoping he's not.

And even so, the fact that whatever this thing may be "representing" Galactus would merely take the action explained at the end of the book rather than investigating the earth himself makes him a very weak and trivial Superior Being.

What I wonder is..... what will happen just after the teaser? How will Johnny survive that fall?

My idea is, well, maybe it will happen like always, he falls until there is enought oxigen in the air and then he would flame on...... or maybe not.

Any ideas?

What I wonder is..... what will happen just after the teaser? How will Johnny survive that fall?

My idea is, well, maybe it will happen like always, he falls until there is enought oxigen in the air and then he would flame on...... or maybe not.

Any ideas?

I agree, I finally got to finish the novel last night.

I picked it up with Spidey 3 and the TF Prequel novel, but my wife just gave birth to our daughter, so I haven't had a chance to finish it until last night.

But yeah, if they can pull off some of the visuals they describe, it's gonna be amazing. I dunno how much the budget is, but it has to be decent from what they describe.

I picked it up with Spidey 3 and the TF Prequel novel, but my wife just gave birth to our daughter, so I haven't had a chance to finish it until last night.

But yeah, if they can pull off some of the visuals they describe, it's gonna be amazing. I dunno how much the budget is, but it has to be decent from what they describe.

congrats cth thats the best reason Ican think of to not read a superhero story

Congratulations!! :)

I placed my order for the novelisation over at Amazon,so its gonna be here within 4-5 days...I'm not sure whether I'm going to wait for it to be released in cinemas before I actually read it though.

Cth, congrats on your daughter! Best of luck to you and your wife!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"