Don Payne (screenwriter) talks Rise of the Silver Surfer

Isildur´s Heir said:
No, i voted for Great or Perfect or whatever it was in the first option.
The teaser is actually good, if you look at it as a clip of the movie, and not a teaser for a movie.
It´s dynamic and the special effects are cool, even if a bit weird in idea (the all Surfer leaving a trail behind when he is flying that resembles cold is way off, the Surfer is not the Iceman).

Depends on where he is as far as how cold he is. If he's in space or in the upper reaches of our atmosphere and his body is like metal then he'd be quite cold and he might have ice forming on him just like a plane. :)

Hey, if they really want to make room for Silver Surfer and Galactus, get rid of the Fantastic Four, lol. But seriously, I like a packed movie, as long as I'm enjoying what I'm watching.

BTW, is the rumors of Doom taking Silver Surfer's powers true?

Visionary said:
Hey, if they really want to make room for Silver Surfer and Galactus, get rid of the Fantastic Four, lol. But seriously, I like a packed movie, as long as I'm enjoying what I'm watching.

BTW, is the rumors of Doom taking Silver Surfer's powers true?

It would appear someone does, after reading the MTV report, and Doom is the only one left, unless for some strange reason Galctus does.Did anyone notice in the behind the scenes MTV short with Jess, when she makes reference to the stick they used for the Torch ?

Advanced Dark said:
Depends on where he is as far as how cold he is. If he's in space or in the upper reaches of our atmosphere and his body is like metal then he'd be quite cold and he might have ice forming on him just like a plane. :)
Yeah, but it happens when he is flying between the buildings.

Lightning Strikez! said:
So Frost is completely off the project? I thought he was a collaborator?
I'm only guessing here but i think Frost would get a Story Bycredit? Unless it was utter garbage i can't imagine them ditching all of the ideas he had in his screenplay. A bit like they did on X2 where Zak Penn and David Hayter both wrote drafts but ended up with Story By credit with Dougherty and Harris getting screenplay credit.

I think Frost's draft had Doom and Payne's SS.
Advanced Dark said:
I'm glad there's no origin story of the Surfer. I'm sure we'll get a explanation but it's not going to eat up a huge chunk of screen time.
And you know this how?:huh:

IT sounds like Fox's usual Frankenscript thing. As Retro said, It always sounded like Frost's script was Doom and Puppet Master and Payne's SS.

Doom becoming real Doom was probably taken from Frost's draft along with the latveria stuff I assume and fused with Payne's script.

Retroman said:

Speculation there, but if they spend a quarter to half the movie doing the origin of the Surfer, indeed it will be no better then the 1st. And all that talk about amped up, faster paced, more intense story, would be just that talk. I'm looking forward to an exciting, thrilling FF movie, not an origin movie again. Any explaining they have to do can be done during the Surfer movie, not here.

Retroman said:
I'm only guessing here but i think Frost would get a Story Bycredit? Unless it was utter garbage i can't imagine them ditching all of the ideas he had in his screenplay. A bit like they did on X2 where Zak Penn and David Hayter both wrote drafts but ended up with Story By credit with Dougherty and Harris getting screenplay credit.

I think Frost's draft had Doom and Payne's SS.

Reading. It's fundamental. ;)

I don't remember where and when I read it but I read this is not going to be some big origin film of the Surfer. The Surfer's gonna be a big mystery and I'm sure they'll give us a background as to his purpose but they are saving the whole origin story for a stand alone film.

Interesting that he singled Kerry out for praise,i hope that means that the Alicia/SS interaction is left intact

I get the feeling it will all go down in this movie with Galactus and it is doable but using Doom as well is a lot to fit in especially if fox demand a 100 minute movie

If it's spread out over two films (the storyline) it could be quite epic. I don't think it's too much to fit in because the stories will develop separately and then kind of merge together as you said. Hopefully it'll end in a cliffhanger setting up part 3 (why didn't they film them together).

I still think Doom will join the FF and SS in the end to defeat Galactus or send him away since he'd be a common foe. Doom would gain nothing from the Earth being destroyed. Then Doom will turn back on the FF and it'll take all of them with the SS to defeat him. It could be really fun.

hunter rider said:
Interesting that he singled Kerry out for praise,i hope that means that the Alicia/SS interaction is left intact

I get the feeling it will all go down in this movie with Galactus and it is doable but using Doom as well is a lot to fit in especially if fox demand a 100 minute movie

Why the hell does everyone assume this movie will be 105 minutes like the 1st one ? :huh: X-Men 2 was 30 minutes longer then X-Men. You think Fox does not know there is a lot to fit into this movie ? They are showcasing the Surfer for goodness sake. 1st film was 98 minutes movie time, add 30 minutes onto that 128 minutes. It will be 2 to 2 and a haf hours guaranteed. Plus this movie will be fast paced. Not plodding like the 1st one, so you'll be able to fit more in just a bit more space. With Surfer hitting the movie 5 to 10 minutes in, what does that tell you ?

I doubt this film will be over 2hrs. Look how much they crammed into X3. I do pray though they make it longer than the first film. 2 hours of solid material would be awesome.

Advanced Dark said:
I doubt this film will be over 2hrs. Look how much they crammed into X3. I do pray though they make it longer than the first film. 2 hours of solid material would be awesome.

And that is my point. They will fit more into that 2 hours, with the faster paced story.

Advanced Dark said:

And that is my point. They will fit more into that 2 hours, with the faster paced story.

Carp Man said:
Why the hell does everyone assume this movie will be 105 minutes like the 1st one ? :huh: X-Men 2 was 30 minutes longer then X-Men. You think Fox does not know there is a lot to fit into this movie ? They are showcasing the Surfer for goodness sake. 1st film was 98 minutes movie time, add 30 minutes onto that 128 minutes. It will be 2 to 2 and a haf hours guaranteed. Plus this movie will be fast paced. Not plodding like the 1st one, so you'll be able to fit more in just a bit more space. With Surfer hitting the movie 5 to 10 minutes in, what does that tell you ?

Why would you think Fox would care that there is a lot to fit in ? they certainly didn't with X3

Advanced Dark said:

And that is my point. They will fit more into that 2 hours, with the faster paced story. This movie isgoing to move, at warp speed.

hunter rider said:
Why would you think Fox would care that there is a lot to fit in ? they certainly didn't with X3

They cramed a hell of a lot into that time. Was no short changing there. It moved, like this movie will. If X-Men 3 can make 458 WW, so can this movie.

It should be very frantic because the Earth is at stake here...and Doom won't make things an easier at first I'm sure. I could see a cool video game based on this film chasing the Surfer around preventing him from making those craters, chasing him as the torch, flying in the fantasticar, etc...

Carp Man said:
They cramed a hell of a lot into that time. Was no short changing there. It moved, like this movie will.

I thought X3 was crap,all action and little meat,i don't want the FF and SS getting that wham bang treatment

hunter rider said:
I thought X3 was crap,all action and little meat,i don't want the FF and SS getting that wham bang treatment

Action puts asses in the seats. And I beg to differ on the little meat, was quite a bit, but I forgot X-Men is a Marvel product. :word:

^ That won't happen Hunter. X3 turned out to be more of a popcorn all action flick for a reason. The actors contracts were up and they had to close out all storylines from the first 2 films and bring closure to it as a stand alone trilogy. It'd be weird if they left things open and lost half the cast. That's why we're getting Wolverine and Magneto movies first. That gives them time to either negotiate with as much as the cast as possible to bring them back, or maybe start over with an X-Men origin film after the events of the Magneto film. Fox also wanted to make sure we saw all the characters in action and throw in some new ones probably to use as characters to transfer over to the next trilogy as anchors. It's much easier to have a follow up film with a character like spiderman or batman with a different actor then to have a group with several different actors taking over roles.

Advanced Dark said:
^ That won't happen Hunter. X3 turned out to be more of a popcorn all action flick for a reason. The actors contracts were up and they had to close out all storylines from the first 2 films and bring closure to it as a stand alone trilogy. It'd be weird if they left things open and lost half the cast. That's why we're getting Wolverine and Magneto movies first. That gives them time to either negotiate with as much as the cast as possible to bring them back, or maybe start over with an X-Men origin film after the events of the Magneto film. Fox also wanted to make sure we saw all the characters in action and throw in some new ones probably to use as characters to transfer over to the next trilogy as anchors. It's much easier to have a follow up film with a character like spiderman or batman with a different actor then to have a group with several different actors taking over roles.

They will span this over 2 movies. Forget Puppet Master as Don Payne was thinking out loud. FF, SS, Doom Galctus this film. FF, SS, Galactus, Doom 3rd film. Forget Pupet Master.

They gotta intro Puppetmaster or someone else in the 3rd film to set up the next storyline. The cool thing about this franchise and the actors we have there's no reason why they can't portray these characters for a very long time.

Carp Man said:
Action puts asses in the seats. And I beg to differ on the little meat, was quite a bit, but I forgot X-Men is a Marvel product. :word:

And it can be accompanied by story which also puts assess in seats and what does it being Marvel have to do with anything,the only person who is fighting that war is dumbass fanboys,check my avvy and shut ya trap

That's why I don't think the 2nd film will suffer from casting concerns for the next film, or closing out storylines, etc...They're also not rushing to make this to beat out Superman. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"