First Look: Matt Groening x Cowboy Bebop Director "Simpsons Anime Project"

souNReAL

Civilian
Reaction score
First Look: Matt Groening x Cowboy Bebop Director "Simpsons Anime Project"

tumblr_lileglUzkt1qekfzjo1_500.jpg

You're looking at the first piece of art of the still untitled "Simpsons Anime Project" idea drawn by Matt Groening and Cowboy Bebop director Shinichirō Watanabe. And before you dismiss this is as a one off, or a clever joke, hear the story between this odd couple relationship that brought this nice gem together.

Apparently Matt Groening and Shinichirō Watanabe have been friends for years after meeting in 2007, a little after the Simpsons movie launched worldwide. These two hit it off instantly, and immediately batted and pitched ideas for a possible spinoff of the Simpsons brand, designed to give a newer, 21st century look into America's favorite familly which has been on air for 22 seasons and counting.

Given both these animation marvels have backgrounds in comics for thier early work, this pairing seemed a natural fit. And when this piece of art started floating around 20th Century Fox offices early last year, the top brass also agreed, putting a still unknown "Simpsons Anime Project" on the fast track for "mid to late 2012" release along with a modest budget for more sketches to pitch to advertisers.

All the while both Matt G and Shinichirō W ,have kept num on the project. Quietly trading emails and skecthes back and forth ever since.

One source claims "they're both big fans of each other their like fanboys. This anime Simpsons thing is almost like fan fiction to them. They're really having fun with the sketches. The Dragonball Lisa is one of my favorites."

The only evidence we have comes from an email leak that portrays many of Springfield's favorite residents with a much edgier look from years past. The twin girls a play on japan ghost culture with movies like The Ring and The Grudge, the bright but all too familiar devious anime smiles on bully Nelson and Groundskeeper Willie. And the ever ready to battle look on Bart Simpson could be just as iconic, drawing comparisons to Gohan from Dragonball or Ash Ketchum from Pokemon.

And maybe the most surprising detail of all, is how normal the lead character Homer Simpsons is.

Perhaps taking a less is more approach to his anime form suggesting he may end up acting out the most zany stunts given the Eastern fondness for wacky balls out tv game shows in primetime.

Perhaps 20th Century Fox biggest coup in making the Simpsons Anime a reality is their vested interest in the Cowboy Bebop movie reportedy starring Keanu Reeves as the infinitely cool bounty Hunter Spike Spegiel and attached writer Peter Craig. According to one 20th Century producer "if we can get the Bebop movie on the fast track, we have a bigger opportunity to get Shini on board for the Simpsons Anime idea, at the same time, put new life in a brand even Matt's not sure if he wants to kill off yet."

Trends like the recent X-Men Manga have given birth for Hollywood to look towards Japan culture for new ideas to revive existant or stagnent properties, the recent string of Japan-to-USA horror remakes for example. Maybe an anime rebooting could give The Simpsons the swift kick it needs to overtake Family Guy as the throne of pop-culture cartoonery once again.

Which Simpsons Anime character is your favorite?

even bigger pic

X7kNR.jpg

:wow::wow:

Lisa sure is sexy now.

I love this photo, but it kills me that there's no Ralph Wiggum. :mad: I mean, even Sherri and Terri made the cut.

Flanders is literally just a yellow version of Oldman's Gordon. :awesome:

april...fools?

maybe....

but apparently a Simpsons Manga does exist.......or has been planned.....

yeah thats an extremely old pic the artist has made a futurama one as well

for april fools this is a huge fail

lol ... I had that as an desktop background a few years back.

I totally would have gotten back into the Simpsons if this had been real :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"