Fla****self Bought/Thought for June 1st - (Spoilers!!!)

If it's a money issue, dropping ASM might be a wise idea, especially since Spider Island is going to have so many tie-ins. (Of course, it's NOTHING compared to the 56+ issues of Flashpoint that hit us in just a little over three months. THAT'S CRAZY!!!

Yeah, that was part of my reasoning is that if I'm spending $8 a month on this title I should be enjoying it a lot more than I am. I just felt like I was spending that much for minor appearances of Phil Urich, as that was all I was enjoying about the book. I don't feel that Slott has a feel for Peter Parker at all. He writes him like he's 17 again and not mid-20's or however old hes supposed to be.

And fankly, illuding to him sleeping with women other than MJ is still a serious turn off to me. It still isn't Amazing Spider-Man and I've come to accept that it'll always be simply a lame shadow of it's former self.

Abin Sur: The Green Lantern #1

Well, ya gotta have a turkey in the bunch. For my second tie-in, this was HUGELY DISAPPOINTING! I'm guessing the time is pretty much linked up to the current events, as Abin Sur and the Green Lantern Corps are fighting the Black Lanterns; but, seeing as not a single Earthling is a member of the Corps, the whole concept seems flawed. (Sinestro is still a Green Lantern, too...so, I guess he never became a Yellow Lantern.) Abin Sur is all about protecting life; and, his character comes across as a bore; but, he's given the task of retrieving the White Lantern from Earth, even at the expense of destroying and killing all life on it. (Naturally, he's determine to save it.)

This could have been so much better. Many different stories from the past could have been integrated in the storyline; but, tossing in the Black Lanterns and the White Lantern just makes this issue fail on so many levels. Whereas World Of Flashpoint might draw new readers into discovering who Traci 13 is, this issue just made me groan that we STILL can't be over those two events. It just never ends, even in alternate realities!

I really didn't like this book. :dry::csad:

The whole time I was reading this book I was thinking, "If Phaed baught this he's going to regret it." :p

World Of Flashpoint #1

I'll review these titles in the order I read them. This was the first, and it gave me a little hope for what I was going to be reading. It wasn't absolutely fantastic; but, I have always like the character, Traci 13. From the opening scene, the reader is drawn into the story, as Traci's mother and brothers are killed in the huge tidalwave the decimated Europe. Traci is able to escape with her father; but, (months?) later, the effects have taken their toll. Her father, along with leaders of various countries, have decided to destroy Aquaman and Wonder Woman's war by the only means they see possible: The destruction of millions with a satelite in space aimed at Earth.

Very good beginning, and a nice companion piece for Flashpoint. :yay:

Man, you know that actually sounds pretty cool. I may have to check this one out if I can clear some budget for it.

Batman: Knight Of Vengeance #1

Okay, I wasn't expecting a whole lot from the Green Lantern issue, if I must be honest. But, I was enjoying what I read in Flashpoint with Batman (Thomas Wayne); so, I had great hopes for this book. Oh, man...I'm sorely disappointed again. First, it's a quick read. Azzarello didn't have to do much dialogue, as the most Thomas Wayne says in this book is usually "mmrrrr." (Ok, I'm over exaggerating...he only says it four times. The fifth is by Killer Croc.) For 8 pages, this is the entire dialogue:

"...I want to do it myself." (DRIP DRIP DRIP) "Hell..." "Hell..." "Hell..." "Hellp uss..." ""Mmmrrrr!" (CLAANG) (WHAACK) (SPLAASH) (BAAM BAAM) "YEEEOOAAH" (THWAAK) (SPLAAASH) "This world is a bad place... That's why we play games. So let's play one..."

I was wrong...that's NINE PAGES of dialogue!!! And, most of it is sound effects. Just goes to show how Johns can take lemons and turn it into lemonade...and, Azzarello gave us uninspired crap.

What good can I say about it? It wasn't as bad as Green Lantern. :dry:

I'm actually very surprised on this one. I thought this was a fantastic comic. The lower end amount of dialogue doesn't bother me because the story was still very intriguing, and we get a lot out of the issue. We get Two Face, Penguin, Killer Croc, Joker, Gordon, etc. The art was a great fit for the feel of the book and I thought the writing was fantastic.

Oh, but the Super 8 add is annoying as can be.

I just keep thinking about the premise of Flashpoint; and, since this is the current DC Universe, just changed by something Reverse Flash did...it would stand to reason that change would have to be getting Bruce Wayne killed instead of his father, right? So, how does Reverse Flash know that Bruce Wayne is Batman?? (Now, I'm not saying this will end up being the case...and, I'm sure the writers are just making up the changes to this alternate reality as they go along without any real thought behind why or how the changes would take place ... as noted with Green Lantern's tie-in. I'm just hoping for a plausable explanation.)

I just keep thinking about the premise of Flashpoint; and, since this is the current DC Universe, just changed by something Reverse Flash did...it would stand to reason that change would have to be getting Bruce Wayne killed instead of his father, right? So, how does Reverse Flash know that Bruce Wayne is Batman?? (Now, I'm not saying this will end up being the case...and, I'm sure the writers are just making up the changes to this alternate reality as they go along without any real thought behind why or how the changes would take place ... as noted with Green Lantern's tie-in. I'm just hoping for a plausable explanation.)

time travel...and he's a speedster. If this guy was lurking on Flash in the background he may have been around when Barry found out who everyone is/was

Phaed, unfortunately the Golden Age Caps ate up all our TPB space so what you got in the Index is all there is. There will be extra content in the Avengers TPB, and Thor of course has some as well.

I didn't get my Secret Seven pin. My LCS didn't order the amount you needed, which was something like 25 issues.

My immediate reaction to Fear Itself #3 was "There's a red She Hulk now? Sigh."
Bro , have you been living in a cave for a year ? She's been around since 2010 and she's Betty Ross.

Last edited:
Oh wait, Red She Hulk is Betty Ross?!? ****, didn't know that. Glad i'm not reading the Hulk books, what a mess.

Well my comics for the week were..

Sonic The Hedgehog #225: Great Way to kick of sonics 20th Anniversary storyline. but dag nab it what is it with villians of speedsters rewriting history this year.... c'mon robotnik you have a giant death-egg and instead of grazing the planet killing all the mobians & Humans who hinder you, you use your magic cheater button to rewrite reality....thats just not nice, lol. overall enjoyed the issue though look foward to seeing how the Genesis arc plays out.

Doctor Who #5: not much to say, typicl timy wimy Dr. Who fun

Godzilla: Monster Kingdom: Aside from the cheesy attempt at a Lady Gaga parody, fun issue, really enjoying this series so far

FlashPoint #2: Im still rather apathetic towards this event at this point still dont love or hate it, had to lol at the end though..ahh flash...don't think that quite worked out like you wanted it to, rofl.

Deadpool #37: Still decently enjoying the current DP ongoing, oh Deadpool you so zany.

Fear Itself #3: Decent Issue, Glad it seems the character deaths since siege have been characters I don't care that much about, sentry out of the way check (siege) now with Fear itself Bucky out of the way..oh well. now if only someone would get rid of those annoying red hulks, lol. (darn the avengers for saving betty at the last minute.)

I find myself actually liking Fraction's take on Thor and Odin at this point, oddly enough. I can actually understand why Odin's doing the things he's done, and it does fit with his established personality. I wish he were less of an overt toolbox in his dialog ("Can't say your father never gave you anything!" Yeah, that's how the Allfather talks. :whatever:), but the actual substance Fraction's laying down in the Asgardians' scenes is pretty good. The rift between Thor as humanity's defender and Odin as its indifferent overlord (bumped up here to active antagonist) is nothing new, and it's kind of an exciting twist to have Loki on Thor's side for once. Between this and the Silver Surfer/Galactus stuff in The Mighty Thor, I'm cautiously optimistic that Fraction's first Thor arc was just a rushed anomaly. He might do a good job with Asgard yet.

Is committing genocide part of Odin's m.o. or is this some stupid crap Fraction pulled out his a** ?

Heap of reviews this week. Spoilers ahead, as usual.

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 6/1/11: Part 1:

TEARS OF THE DRAGON: VOLUME 1: This is an "indie" comic by Tyler James and artist Koko Amboro, with colors by Paul Little and Miguel Marques. This series seems to have begun as a webcomic (http://www.totdcomic.com/) that has now been collected as one 56 page trade paperback for sale on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Tears-Dragon-...17/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306546145&sr=8-1); it also is sold as a digital comic by Graphic.ly and is published by comics Tribe. This is the second comics Tribe production to have a review copy sent to this humbled reviewer (the first being THE STANDARD #1: http://www.examiner.com/comic-books...-for-5-11-11-youth-revolt-the-standard-review), and as such warrants a full review. The story takes place in a world of dragons, armored knights, swords and sorcery. The backdrop is that most of the action is revealed by an old grandfather who is taking his two grandkids on a pilgrimage; his stories are treated as being history of the past of their realm, but his involvement is unknown. The artwork by Amboro is fine; neither explosive or difficult to follow - he an artist with a strong grasp of the fundamentals who likely needs more experience before he truly erupts as a talent. He does, at least, draw some solid dragons and battle armor. The color work is quite capable, and of professional quality. As the tale is told as a literal camp fire story, there is a heavy emphasis on narration and aside for one key action sequence with a dragon, most of the on-panel action is brief. As the series is originally a webcomic, it will be easy to read digitally as well as in print. I am not the biggest fan of "sword and sorcery" stories; I can occasionally enjoy them enough for a film now and again, but it is not a genre that I am heavily invested in. As such, it is possible my review could be a bit harder than it warrants. This story has a lot of classical elements to fantasy stories that fans of the genre should find comforting, and the tale is told well. The difficulty with a tale told in flashback, as this series is, is that it can make a reader struggle to find a point to it unless it's relevance to present events is displayed quickly. The ending of the volume does tease that, with the key characters winding up in some real-life danger. To a degree it is similar to "THE PRINCESS BRIDE", although it has little of the humor and self-mocking references, and is instead played fairly straight. On the whole, the volume is executed quite well, but seems to lack a "spark" that makes it seem more than a decently written and told fantasy yarn. However, if fantasy yarns are the things one seeks, it is worth checking out. The second volume has a solid foundation to work from and may end up being superior for it, as this first volume does pick up steam as it goes along, as all stories should. The cliffhanger will be followed up on and the characters in "the grandfather's story" should develop as well, as James clearly has bigger things in mind for his saga. There is a gap in the market for fantasy comic books that aren't parodies or genre deconstructions, and TEARS OF THE DRAGON should fill it for fan of dungeons and dragons. The trade can be had for $15, although the official website offers free shipping within the U.S. and Canada, so that might be more appealing than Amazon. Despite not being a big fan of the genre, I was disappointed that the story ended where it did, wanting to see what happened next; that is what matters most in a story.

BATMAN BEYOND #6: With DC relaunching their entire universe, for only the 3rd or 4th time in the past 35 years, many DC fans are wondering about the fates of several of their favorite titles. Since I only read two, I only care about two. It seems BOOSTER GOLD will end and be replaced with Dan Jurgens writing a new JLI series, but I will be stunned if DC is stupid enough to relaunch this title before a 9th issue, considering it is selling modestly well and outside the normal DC timeline anyway, as well as being the only thing Adam Beechen has written lately that isn't universally scorned. I do have to love how Warner Brothers' heavy promotion of "GREEN LANTERN" means that even Marvel ads must promote it, since they often have "Got Milk?" ads on back covers. DC also has the film on a banner on all covers this month - heavy promotion or desperation? They also have shoved some preview of SUPER 8 into the middle of the comic, which was more annoying. The things we endure for a letter column these days. Ryan Benjamin continues on regular art chores, with Stanisci on colors. This is part two of the three part "Industrial Revolution" story that seeks to have the return of what passes for Terry McGinnis' arch nemesis, Blight. Not to be confused with Dr. Blight, who was from "CAPTAIN PLANET AND THE PLANETEERS". This issue actually makes heavy reference to the first season finale of the TV show, "Ascension", in which Blight is defeated and sinks to the bottom of Gotham Harbor; how he survived that ordeal is explained in a few pages of exposition. While the "BATMAN BEYOND" TV show ran 3 seasons and 47 episodes, it lost some focus without Blight, and never again had as strong a finale for a season as the first (not including the "RETURN OF THE JOKER" animated DVD, which was epic).

While Terry and Wayne try to figure out who is manipulating the economic crisis of Wayne-Powers (and Gotham City with it), other subplots develop as well. Dana Tan's ex-con brother tries to settle into life outside of prison, but quickly finds himself beset by Jokerz gang members (common adversaries for characters in the series when nothing else is available). Undercloud, the evil hacking organization, continues to stalk Maxine as well as Terry through her. The issue ends with a typical cliffhanger and the next looks to be an action spectacle, which is fine. Beechen has really hit a stride with this arc, capturing the feel of the TV show while adding additional elements, and this run, 6 issues in, has proved far better than the mini series that sparked that. Imagine that - a series getting BETTER as it goes along and becomes an ongoing.

If DC really wanted to be savvy, they'd advertise this series all over their BEYOND DVD's and maybe even offer a promotional code for a free digital issue to hook readers. But I guess relaunching everything and having Jim Lee redesign Wonder Woman again for the second time in about a year and a half is much wiser.

HAUNT #16: This issue, at the very least, shows that Image may be quickly taking the cue from DC and Image to trim their $2.99 books to 20 pages. To a degree I can accept that more from a company that, at best, is 4.5% of the industry and needs to save every penny of cost as possible. The hilarious thing is that DC remains the ONLY company that was up front and honest about this gesture MONTHS before engaging it; both Image and Marvel did it in dark without notice, like thieves in the night. Some consider this "the Robert Kirkman book nobody talks about", as the fellas from WEEK N GEEK noted on their weekly YouTube video. That is probably because many see it as a Todd McFarlane production first and foremost, with Kirkman's scripting of it almost being a "work for hire" thing like his run on ULTIMATE X-MEN. While technically McFarlane's involvement at this stage is as co-inker alongside Jonathan Glapion, he also answers the letter column and acts as unofficial editor. Greg Capullo continues to draw, at least for another two issues; no word on his replacement has been stated - he is heading to DC to draw some Batman. In an unintentional way, you could call this "A CONTRACT WITH GOD MEETS SPAWN", as half the issue involves the dead Kurt Kilgore avoiding oblivion and having a chat with a very god-like figure who claims he (or she) is not the Almighty. McFarlane states in the letter column that the idea of just giving hints and pieces of Haunt's full origin over time is a deliberate thing, fearing giving it all away too quickly will bore readers. To a degree this has been successful, but making the readers wait too long gives the impression that it is being made up as they go along, or that it is never coming.

The Apparition, a mystical force that exists to purge the world of stubborn ghosts like Kurt, has been chasing him for several issues, and in the last, seemingly succeeded. However, the mysterious entity saves Kurt and on the spirit plane, delivers some exposition and more questions. Apparently all souls venture into oblivion after death and cease to exist, but Kurt has been saved for a specific purpose. When he merges with his living brother Daniel as Haunt, he is actually draining Daniel's life force, and should they remain Haunt too long, Kurt will take over his body and Daniel will die. However, without Kurt, Daniel has slipped into a coma. The Apparition will continue to chase Kurt's soul, however, and only Kurt (or Haunt) can see it (although the Calypso knock off Algeria can sense it).

This issue, while providing some answers, has it's share of problems. It sets up the idea that the Apparition will continue to chase after Haunt, but it can't be destroyed nor can it succeed in destroying Kurt, at least not until he accomplishes the mysterious task he is supposed to. Thus, why is there a point to their next battle? Kurt's "talk with not-god" exists as him walking in white space talking to nothing but text, so for half the issue it seemed the letterer got more of a work out than Capullo did. Four pages are used on double page splashes that are very bare, and most of the other pages in this even average 4 panels of content or less - with all respect to everyone involved, this can seem lazy. Part of me imagines Kirkman and McFarlane coming up with the scene to better allow Capullo to meet his deadline, since he'd have less to draw for half the issue. At least add some clouds or something. Plus, one could claim that the notion of a mysterious entity just out-and-out TELLING exposition to a character just to get it out there borders on pedestrian. As famously said in one of the Muppets movies, "It's exposition; it HAS to go somewhere." While INVINCIBLE has sometimes poked fun at art/script tricks done to help meet deadline on rare occasions, HAUNT is a fairly humorless book, so that is laid bare more. Cobra and Hurg are also plotting their return.

McFarlane, in his letter column, clearly sees this as SPAWN TAKE TWO, and hopes it will endure after Capullo and even Kirkman and he are gone. With all due respect, when they're all gone, so am I. This is a perfectly fine book, but unless the next writer is someone I really like, I don't like it enough to follow it too far. Launching a project and letting it spiral into the well is fine for big two franchises, but sometimes more is expected of Image comics - in contrast, nobody can argue Erik Larson's devotion to SAVAGE DRAGON, as it reaches issue #175. He never abandoned it to dabble in film or buying home run baseballs.

This wound up sounding harder on HAUNT than I intended. This was a perfectly fine issue, and so far I still am enjoying it, even if it is my "least favorite" Kirkman book (if only because SUPER DINOSAUR is more fun). I do wish GUARDING THE GLOBE came out more often, and I still miss ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN. Still, I've probably become more invested in HAUNT than I ever was in SPAWN, which says something.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #663: Writer Dan Slott returns to solo story duty for the first time in quite a few issues (at least five off the top of my head), and with him is artist Giuseppe Camuncoli, with Klaus Janson on inks and Matt Hollingsworth on colors. While the era of ASM being 30 pages for $3.99 may be coming to an end, at the very least several issues lately have clocked in with higher page counts; the last issue was 32 pages and this one adds up to 35, which includes a 25 page lead story and two back-up strips. Senior Vice President of Publishing Tom Brevoort whined when asked about page cuts for $2.99 comics that Marvel doesn't get any credit when some issues run "over" instead, so here it is. Happy? At any rate, this issue begins the next arc in the "Before Spider-Island" era, which is "The Ghost Of Jean DeWolfe". Not only does it feature what the title suggests, but Mr. Negative and Anti-Venom (Eddie Brock's new symbiote-less vigilante identity) also are critical to the plot. Anti-Venom has declared to end the criminal career of Mr. Negative, who has a double identity as philanthropist Martin Li - who funds the soup kitchen that May Parker often works at, among other things. Mr. Negative is a newer villain created by Slott in earlier ASM stories back in 2008, and not all of his origins have been revealed. In a way he harkens back to the original "multiple identity" angle of Green Goblin, in that Li himself is unaware that he transforms into Mr. Negative, and Mr. Negative sees Li as a "powerless" form. At any rate, this issue shows that Slott has a wide knowledge of Spider-Man lore and knows how to not only reference it, but utilize it for new stories. Jean DeWolfe was the last lady employed by the NYPD that Spider-Man was involved with (at least for romantic tension), until she was killed by the Sin-Eater in the 1980's in a particularly dark story. Trying to reveal who Sin-Eater was turned out to be the story that cost journalist Eddie Brock his career and resulted in him becoming Venom in the first place. Jean's brother Brian was also active as the psychically powered vigilante Wraith, both under the will of their father Philip and his own motivations; he was ultimately killed by the vigilante Scourge. Thus, the DeWolfe family has been associated with death about as often as the Stacy's in Spider-Man's universe. The real riddle is whether this is Jean resurrected, Jean as a real "ghost of vengeance", or even a ruse by Mysterio. Camuncoli's artwork is also exceptional. Slott also writes another INFESTED two page strip alongside Emma Rios, who will be drawing the SPIDER-ISLAND: CLOAK AND DAGGER mini series this summer; coincidentally, the strip also features that duo. While the two are technically spin-offs of the Spider-Man universe, an attempt to rekindle that to try to drive up interest in them which has waned with them solo is admirable. On the other hand, it can be seen as a publicity stunt.

Finally, there is an 8 page strip by Todd Dezago and Todd Nauck (who has become a master of an 8 page run), with color by Chris Sotomayor. It is a simple but effective story in which Spider-Man goes on a patrol, seems to screw everything up and wonder why he bothers, only for the reader at least to realize that his efforts weren't all worthless. On the whole, this issue cements Slott's status as a top Spider-Man writer and already seems stronger than the FF arc. For those unused to Brock's new identity, the name can seem blunt; an "anti-venom" is a real thing, but it comes off sounding cheesier than it should. Will the day when villains named Anti-Freeze, Anti-Histamine or Anti-Pasto soon arise?

AVENGERS ACADEMY #14.1: Long time readers of this column might wonder if this title has replaced NOVA in that every issue seems to get a review, and many issues are at the top of the week's heap. Given that this book appeared on the scene after NOVA was canceled, something certainly had to fill the vacuum. This is the latest of Marvel's "Point One Initiative" in which the intention was to supply a "jumping on" issue for an ongoing series, or hype a new series about to launch, but in practice is just an annual under another name (or an extra issue). Unlike some of the .1 issues, this one has the series' regular writer, Christos Gage, penning the story. In fact, Sean Chen, who has become the semi-regular artist on the regular title next to Tom Raney, handles the art chores here. While the cadets are introduced and the series' premise is used as a foundation for the story, for all intents and purposes this is an extra issue of the ongoing series (same as Gage's two issue run on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN recently was). Scott Hanna and Jeromy Cox handle the inks and colors, respectively, as they have done for most of the Avengers Academy issues here.

The cadets of the Academy (Reptil, Veil, Mettle, Finesse, Striker, and Hazmat) are once again trying to apprehend some escaped super-villain with the assistance of one of their instructors (Giant-Man, as it often is). They decide to look into some of the super-powered teenagers who, like them, were experimented on by Norman Osborn, but unlike them, weren't recruited into the Academy. While the kids are not miserable at the Avengers Academy, many of them long for normal lives once more, or at least less eventful ones with a optimistic endpoint. They soon meet one, Jeremy Briggs, who has used his powers as well as smarts to become an 18 year old billionaire, who helps them on their quest to find the others. Along the way, the cadets learn some insight as well as gain some alternatives in their future besides relying on the Avengers or the super-hero game. As with most things, however, it turns out to be too good to be true. While all of the cadets share the issue, Finesse seems to get a big moment at the end. This story takes place after issue #14, but stands on it's own as well.

While it is easy to disregard this a bit as a "bonus" issue in Marvel's attempt to entice more readers to purchase it, this would be a foolhardy assumption. In a way, this is the last "regular" issue of the series before it begins a five issue tie-in with FEAR ITSELF. While AVENGERS ACADEMY was selling above the cancellation mark as of April (and is one of Marvel's few new launches featuring new characters to be assured of a 20th issue), it is still in that "danger zone" and Marvel would like to see more readers hop aboard. While Gage has often done well with crossover tie-in stories in his AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE run, they are a different beast in terms of stories. Often it means having one's characters run around the outskirts and background of a story someone else is telling, in which they must be somehow impacted by it but not derail that other writer's story. Given the nature of FEAR ITSELF, this means the kids may end up fighting someone with a demonic hammer or fighting robotic Neo-Nazis. At any rate, this issue is an issue that deals with the cadets directly, without influence from a line wide crossover event or a web-slinging lead character. The ending also leaves things in which the cadets have a character who could prove to be an interesting antagonist for the future who has ties to them, not the adult Avengers. That would be an important thing to have should the title survive into a second year.

The issue has a bit of action but a lot of imagination and above all, a writer who has a feel for his characters and can write stories that challenge them as heroes and characters. It has become, and remains, the "can't miss" series of the Avengers franchise that offers more than the standard tropes and characters. As part of the .1 Initiative, this issue cements why this series is as good as it is and Gage's talents as a writer, as well as Chen's as an artist with all the changing locations. Marvel pushing a series that happens to feature new characters and actually be good is admirable, and hopefully it has a tangible benefit in the coming months. If not, FEAR ITSELF should provide some minimal spike.

Part 2, and this next bit gets ugly:

FEAR ITSELF #3: Matt Fraction and Stuart Immonen (as well as their dedicated inkers and colorists) continue their drum beat of an event mini series, and things continue to be underwhelming. This series ties in awkwardly with Ed Brubaker's CAPTAIN AMERICA, as the same "Bucky" Barnes who is stuck in a Russian gulag for several months is somehow leading a squad of Avengers into Washington, D.C. to fight Sin/Skadi's Neo-Nazi robots, AS Captain America. Marvel cannot, simply CANNOT, boast about their cohesive universe that rewards dedicated readers (i.e. their only readers) who buy 10-25 titles or more a month if the events of a Top 35 seller aren't even hinted at in a line wide crossover. At any rate, Bucky has been rumored to die in this issue online for months, and this issue does not wander from that speculation. This issue easily has the most action of the entire series thus far, although that isn't saying a whole lot. Like many a crossover mini series, it exists to sell other comics, not tell a story; some of "the Worthy" (villains possessed by magic Norse hammers thrown out by "the Serpent") got their hammers in other comics and need a scorecard recap page, and others do nothing once they claim it. This issue is literally called, "The Hammer That Fell On Yancy Street", suggesting the fact that the Thing becomes one of "the Worthy" would be the focus of the issue; in reality it is the focus of a mere 4 pages (including a double page splash). The downside of the action and explosions is that it makes the issue a rapid read, and for $4 that can become irritating. The reason why internet piracy is on the rise isn't because we live in a generation of thievery, it is because people do not want to pay increasingly difficult to obtain and deflated dollars for crap, or even for what is merely average. The entire plot of this series can be summarized like this: an ancient Norse god has been freed and is throwing evil hammers at other characters so that they can in turn smash things in different locations, and heroes respond. It has taken 66 pages to expand on that premise. The crossover tie-in's will consist of a guest Worthy entering another book, like THUNDERBOLTS or AVENGERS ACADEMY, and hit them with a hammer - the fact that this makes it a Loony Tune played straight is lost on the humorless Fraction and Marvel editorial. This is a story that would have benefited from 2009-2010's objective, when Marvel editorial felt that making an event last longer than five or six months was "too long"; there is no reason for a story as crude as this to be more than half as long as WATCHMEN. The highlight of this series continues to be Immonen's artwork, which is quite stunning and comes to life even more when things are exploding; the color and ink work are also exceptional. The story, however, is a dog. It is a "SUPERFRIENDS" episode stretched seven times it's length and lacking even unintentional humor. This is even disregarding outright story flaws such as why Mr. Fantastic asks Thing to try moving the hammer when he already has had experience with Norse hammers and their risks (such as when Dr. Doom sought Mjolnir back when he was seemingly dead), or why Steve Rogers has dispatched heroes to fight giant robots in D.C. who in no way can quickly destroy giant robots, like Shang Chi and Falcon. Why is he not instead calling in the X-Men? Magneto would LOVE to be the guy who saved D.C. from NAZI ROBOTS, and could do so in about 5 minutes - talk about a P.R. move for Utopia; hey, it worked for Norman Osborn.

The death of Bucky, if it is not a cheat - Robert Kirkman has gotten out of far gorier death scenes in INVINCIBLE lately - seems to be an incredible waste. He is a character who Stan Lee killed off panel in the 60's that every Marvel writer since has seen as unmovable canon. Yet not only did Ed Brubaker revive him within the first year of his run on CAPTAIN AMERICA, he did so in a genuinely well accepted way, grooming him to become the star of the book. As star, Bucky held onto sales gains from 2006 for years of time. Even if he was no longer to be Captain America, he still had value as a character. Killing him for something as cheap as a summer event, especially one as crudely simple and poorly written as this, is something of a travesty. The one time Marvel editorial allows something truly great and unique to change the status quo of an "older than dirt" comic book series, almost by accident, and they have to squander it for, what? A film and a crossover? How do they think those last issues of Brubaker's CAPTAIN AMERICA run before the relaunch will sell now, since the readers know Barnes is dead? Marvel controls half of a multi-million dollar industry yet they often have less sense than a teenager who spends 8 hours a day asking, "would you like fries with that?" And this doesn't even get into Fraction ruining another writer's efforts, Jeff Parker's, with the Juggernaut. If FEAR ITSELF reveals anything, it is that there is at least one writer who can tell a worse event story than Brian M. Bendis. He at least wastes his "pointless death scene to make this heap of donkey feces seem important" moment for the final act. At any rate, FEAR ITSELF is inspiring another four letter word that begins with F, but it isn't "fear". The fact that Matt Fraction has gone from writing Eisner worthy Iron Man stories to this drivel is so stunning that an investigation into lead paint at the Marvel bullpen might be legitimate. With another four issues to go, and with Marvel spoiling every detail in promotions for a story that wouldn't know a twist if you tied it in knots, people who read spoilers in advance or download illegally are the lucky ones. April sales figures reveal that FEAR ITSELF #1 had a lower sales debut than SIEGE #1, especially if the first few issues are returnable like SIEGE was, and it deserves far less. Only if DC's FLASHPOINT mops the floor with "Hammer-Time" will Marvel get serious about their quality of line wide crossovers again. There's a great metaphor for this series; it seems as if someone was hammered when writing it. One could continue with the nit-picks and judgments all day, but I would not wish to invest more effort in criticizing FEAR ITSELF than Fraction has in writing it. Less than 50% complete and already a contestant for the "worst story of 2011" award. When a story as crude as WRESTLEMANIA can't even be executed properly, it is time to seriously re-evaluate things.

Hopefully some of the tie-in's will continue to be better. That's all we can hope for now.

Who wants to guess how this death will be undone? Will Skadi's hammer be a "time hammer"? Will it have been a Skrull? Will a bunch of American flags fly off flagpoles and magically reform his body? It just is a shame for Brubaker to invest so much into a character who became a designated corpse, like Bill Foster and Wasp. Given that he died near Valkyrie, will SECRET AVENGERS #14 revolve around her taking him to Valhalla?

HERC #4: This latest volume of the epic saga that writers Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente used to call INCREDIBLE HERCULES continues with it’s opening arc. These last two issues have been a FEAR ITSELF tie in, but aside for some escaped Raft cons from FEAR ITSELF #2 being involved, it is essentially it’s own story. Remember when any comic that had Norman Osborn and/or his Dark Avengers in it in 2009-2010 was a DARK REIGN crossover by pure technicality? Same thing with FEAR ITSELF, only with hammers. Hercules is still trying to be a superhero in Brooklyn sans demigodly power but with enchanted weaponry. In this issue, he has been caught in between a vicious street gang called the Warhawks, led by Kyknos (son of ancient foe Ares); the evil goddess Hecate and her brainwashed Brooklynites; AND several escaped super-villains from the Raft. Is Herc able to defeat all comers and save the day? Not quite. Neil Edwards continues his artwork here, alongside Scott Hanna on inks and Jesus Aburtov on colors. While Edwards’ style is heavy on detail and decent with action, he struggles with some of the comedic beats that Pak and Van Lente sprinkle into the script. Edwards can seem like “a poor man’s Bryan Hitch”, and he has likely gotten several assignments due to that, but he at least can produce four issues of material in under four months.

To a degree, this issue was a set-up issue, in which there is some action and some plot development but it is really here to provide a bridge to issue five. At any rate, Herc once again comes to realize the limits of mortality and gains an unlikely ally along the way – surprisingly, the same ally Namor once had during the John Bryne run on his title in the 90’s. This issue actually makes a subtle retcon of a classic MS. MARVEL story from 1977 by Chris Claremont and Sal Buscema. In that story, issues #11-13, Ms. Marvel fought Hecate; however, that story established that the “Hecate” she battled was a long lived alien confused for the Olympic goddess, not the goddess herself. This issue has Hecate mention the battle with Ms. Marvel, which implies that Carol Danvers did fight the goddess after all; some throwaway line about being confused by the gods is mentioned, but it does make that older story confusing (especially when you consider that the “alien” Hecate in that tale built a robot to fight Ms. Marvel called…Warhawk). In a way it probably is better to think that Ms. Marvel battled a goddess rather than another alien in that old story, and it is unlikely this is the sort of “retcon” that will offend anyone. At any rate, Herc quickly finds himself overwhelmed and decides that a tactical retreat is in order. Unfortunately, due to Hecate’s spell, he finds no allies in his stomping grounds, not even in the Greek diner owner who has become his friend. By the time Herc recovers from his wounds, he finds that Hecate’s magic over Brooklyn may have extended beyond mere entrancement.

There was some fear that with the premise of Herc having no powers and fighting street gangs, that his series would become more of an “urban crime” book like DAREDEVIL and less of a series about mystical monsters and myths. Happily, that has not happened; while Herc does fight street crime, his stories are still woven in the fabric of myth and magic. While this arc has had less comedy than some prior material, the story still has enough levity to keep the story from trying to be more than it is – a lesson Matt Fraction should have heeded for FEAR ITSELF. I also like how the story has averted some clichés with their female supporting characters – tattooed gang member Rhea is actually treated in a positive light and turns out to be a misguided but noble figure, while the “proper” diner’s daughter turns out to have a fairly black heart.

While this arc so far has not matched some of the heights of the INCREDIBLE HERCULES run or even subsequent mini-series like PRINCE OF POWER or CHAOS WAR, it still is a better story than many other Marvel writers produce and shows that Pak and Van Lente are willing to try new things once in a while. Hopefully sales for this relaunch remain stable, as it has been quite effective after a long era of mini-series to continue the saga. Having Herc become part of the Greek community in Brooklyn is also an interesting way to keep him in NYC without having him remain on the often clogged Manhattan Island. Hopefully this volume of HERC lasts as long as the previous ongoing series did, if not longer. Even when not hitting grand slams, Pak and Van Lente’s batting average with this franchise is far above average.

HEROES FOR HIRE #8: This is the conclusion of "cosmic" writers Dan Abnnet and Andy Lanning's revival of this "urban heroes" franchise, and it is quite satisfying. Brad Walker (their old rotating regular artist on GUARDIANS OF THE GLOBE) also returns, alongside Jay David Ramos on colors and two inkers in tow. Picking up from last issue, this finale has Batroc the Leaper, the Scorpion, modern-day ninja, demonic assault weapons, AND dinosaurs. If one thinks there is no way a comic could include all these things and be less than exciting, one would be right. Unlike with GUARDIANS OF THE GLOBE, Abnett and Lanning have kept their cast very loose and flexible in this series; Misty Knight and Paladin remain the only regular stars, with Spider-Man finishing his three issue guest stint (a cameo from another does at least tie into previous issues). This is a risk as this suggests that this is MARVEL TEAM-UP under another name, which readers haven't flocked to since the 1980's in large numbers; as we type, this series inches closer to the cancellation mark (more so than AVENGERS ACADEMY has). This issue has a lot of action as well as a steady stream of one-liners, with Misty Knight showing she can match Spider-Man not only blow-for-blow, but quip for quip in a fight. The only blemish is the aforementioned cameo character literally spoon feeding the romantic subplot to Misty, and the reader, in a manner as subtle as a brick when no such thing was needed except for the most clueless of readers (who wouldn't like this series anyway).

In the future, it might do this series some good to come up with a stable cast of characters, especially since there are no end of characters willing to work "for hire" in the Marvel universe - the fact that Paladin is working for something genuine this time (love) would make it all the more interesting. Future issues should follow up on the "mastermind" introduced in this one, even if his identity has been revealed in solicitations already. At any rate, this first ongoing series set on Earth for these two at Marvel continues to move along at a great pace, and is even outdoing their ANNIHILATORS mini series. It is certainly not one to miss, especially for those who live by the credo that there are no "lame" characters, only lame writers.

THUNDERBOLTS #158: Jeff Parker is a trooper this issue. Not only does he do more with the angle of Juggernaut becoming one of "The Worthy", which was something Fraction thrust upon him, he also utilizes this issue to provide set-up moments for HERC #3-4 as well as the Speedball story in FEAR ITSELF: THE HOME FRONT #2. Yet not once is there a hint of cynicism in the dialogue, or some holier-than-thou streak that sometimes comes through from Brian Bendis or Mark Millar (I could imagine the latter easily having sex with his own transgendered clone). Kev Walker continues on art with Frank Martin on colors. Despite only having 20 pages, a lot happens. Parker resolves his "threat of the month" plot with the zombie in Iraq and has the team beam back to the Raft at the last minute to try to salvage what is left.

As the recap page notes, the book is FULL of characters now. Even with Luke Cage busy with Avengers stuff and Juggernaut basically removed for the time being (with Man-Thing possibly next to go), we have a cast of Songbird, Fixer, and Mach-V leading Moonstone, Ghost, Mr. Hyde, Shocker, Centurius, Satana, Troll/Gunna, and Boomerang. That's 11 characters, which is a large cast for even the best team writer. The irony is some of Parker's initial issues of this run that tied into SIEGE remain the highlight of it so far, if only because he was forced to abandon the "odd monster of the week" format for some simple hero vs. villain stuff, and he was quite good at it. I'd hoped to see that more often. At any rate, the next issue looks to be an excuse for some con bashing, which should give that ol' Marvel Handbook a work out.

I do feel a bit shafted that all of Parker's development of Cain Marko is down the drain. He makes an effort to tie this to previous stories about Marko being tempted in this run, but that's like trying to tack on meaning to a wrestling stunt at this point. He was the only one of the Thunderbolts team showing even the slightest hint of genuine reform (besides Man-Thing, who usually is fairly noble for a reactionary monster). Ghost is still a psycho and Moonstone is just a manipulator who wants out of a cell block. Aside for Troll, who is just in it for combat, most of the B-team happened to sign up at the worst possible time and regret doing so, otherwise they'd have been free. I still hope Parker realizes Shocker's potential. He could easily be Marvel's Captain Cold if utilized properly. Satana has usually been an anti-heroine of late, to be fair. Still, we had a stable cast that is being blown up a bit, so now another cast will have to merge out of a fairly large pool. Abnett & Lanning made GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY work, often by splitting up the teams for most stories, so it is possible to make a large cast work.

Solid issue, but I am more eagerly anticipating the next one -as it should be.

Last edited:
I was reading an interview on Newsarama yesterday with Brubaker and Fraction and they made it sound like Bucky's death was pretty final. Apparently Gulag's final issue will lead directly into Fear Itself and then Bucky's death will be dealt with after Fear Itself ends.

At least it was at the hands of a good Bucky villain though with Sin.

I don't believe he went out like a punk like others think but it doesn't change the fact that the whole thing is a travesty.

Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Battle Of Tull #1

It only took 40+ issues; but, we are finally at the first book in Stephen King's Gunslinger novels. (The comics actually started with the middle book, Wizards and Glass, and then did a lot of filling in with tales never told before.) This is a welcome site, as I've been dying for Marvel to get the show on the road and try and get to Drawing Of The Three by the end of the following year.

This is a pretty good issue. Unlike that very first Dark Tower mini, the book doesn't feel rushed any longer; and, while not as artistic as those first bunch of issues, I like the gritty realism of the current artists more. (I'm almost surprised they didn't try doing a .1 with this book, as it's a good jumping on point for those who missed out on what came before.) I especially liked the three page introduction to the new series at the beginning of the book, letting the Assistant Editor explain what's happened before and why the current direction of the book took so long to get to this point. :yay::yay:

X-Men #12

I still need someone to pinch me with how good the X-titles are now. It's sure going to make JH not save any money; as, if there was ever a time in the past ten years to be reading the X-Men, now is it. This issue is the second part of the story begun in X-Men Giant Size, and it continues to impress me. Even with Yost retconning the early years of the X-Men, it reads so well that I don't mind in the least.

I think what impresses me the most is how each of the X-titles brings something different to the reader. Where as the Batman titles have been getting a bit monotonous, I find the various writers each have a style their own that lends itself so well to their stories. :yay::yay:

SHIELD #1

This series drives me crazy. Half the time I'm confused as to what Hickman is talking about, and the other half just isn't enjoying how he has brought these historical figures together in such a fashion. Is there a purpose to this book? How does it even fit into all the previous secrets of the Marvel Universe?? :dry:

Moon Knight #2

This really is Bendis at his best, taking a Marvel Knight's style character, like Daredevil, and making some dang fine and interesting storylines. I don't find Moon Knight's multiple personalities too far out there, as people were worrying about before even reading the first page of the book. And, what I've read so far in two issues is far better than all the Moon Knight issues that have been released in the past five years. I kind of like how he's combined Spider-Man, Captain America, and Wolverine into his psyche; and, the new female villian seems intriguing.

The only complaint I'd have is that some of his solo stories tend to drag out a bit; but, at least you also don't get some of that annoying dialogue that frequently is seen in his team books. :yay:

Zombie Christmas Carol #1

No, this isn't Marvel Zombies yet again. It's like the novel, "Pride, Prejudice and Zombies" as told with Dicken's classic, "A Christmas Carol." This first issue was an alright read; except, this concept has been done to death by now. (At least this is the first comic version that I know of, especially since Del Rey Comics went under and never released their version of Pride, Prejudice and Zombies that was previewed over a year ago during Free Comic Book Day.) Also, this book would have been better served if it was a bit closer to December; but, maybe they are hoping for Christmas trade sales come the end of 2011.

A mild :yay:.

Is committing genocide part of Odin's m.o. or is this some stupid crap Fraction pulled out his a** ?
No, that's some Fraction ridiculosity. The only entire race he ever destroyed was Mangog's, and that was because they were an imperialistic bunch of jerkwads who invaded Asgard. Plus, Odin brought 'em back.

Earth and humanity were fairly dear to Odin as well as Thor.

I was reading an interview on Newsarama yesterday with Brubaker and Fraction and they made it sound like Bucky's death was pretty final. Apparently Gulag's final issue will lead directly into Fear Itself and then Bucky's death will be dealt with after Fear Itself ends.

At least it was at the hands of a good Bucky villain though with Sin.

Brubaker and Fraction did collaborate on IMMORTAL IRON FIST for over a year, so I would imagine they keep in touch, especially when their stories cross paths. It still is a shame, as "GULAG" wasn't a bad story that is now pretty moot. I KNOW Bucky gets out of prison, and back in his Cap gear, in time to die. :p

I suppose it will amp Sin a little, but becoming Skadi already did that.

Given how Steve Rogers' death seemed pretty final (shot point blank several times with what the art CLEARLY SHOWED was a normal handgun), only for it to be undone a couple years later, I will be curious if in the future we are told that the Serpent made some sort of "magical aura" that effected perception and in reality Bucky was sent to some other dimension or whatever hoo-ha some writer comes up with.

I don't believe he went out like a punk like others think but it doesn't change the fact that the whole thing is a travesty.

I do agree it was a more heroic "death scene" than Wasp or to a degree Bill Foster got; Bucky at least knocked Skadi on her arse and was boldly leading a charge. He died trying to defend Washington, D.C., technically for the second time - Red Skull and his horde attacked it in CAPTAIN AMERICA REBORN, where he led virtually the same band of Avengers, only with Ronin swapped for Shang Chi.

So...Shang Chi is supposed to be in D.C. one minute and in a few months in Manhattan for SPIDER-ISLAND. Wolverine at least has a motorcycle, Deadpool a teleporter and Spidey web-swings. What does Chi do - power walk?

I do feel it was all a waste of potential. Brubaker had done so much with Bucky and recreated him as a character that really fit into the Marvel Universe. He was a very dynamic and interesting Captain America, but he could have still existed with Rogers back in that mantle. There was no need to kill him off. Especially for something so trivial and useless as being the Designated Corpse for a poorly written event that is more a spectacle than a story (and a lame one at that).

No, that's some Fraction ridiculosity. The only entire race he ever destroyed was Mangog's, and that was because they were an imperialistic bunch of jerkwads who invaded Asgard. Plus, Odin brought 'em back.

Earth and humanity were fairly dear to Odin as well as Thor.

Supposedly the Serpent is such a dire threat that Odin sees genocide as required. That said, it is a load of rubbish. It's for reasons like that that I dumped Fraction's THOR and I am not turning back.

It is cute that Kid Loki is actually on Thor's side, but like Juggernaut, he'll be Generic Evil again before you know it, so it's a little moot.

Hellboy: The Fury #1: The wait is finally over. It's been a year since part 1 of this epic story, The Storm, concluded and now begins The Fury. This was a fantastic issue, and if you've been following Hellboy for the last several years, you can feel the epic proportions of this story swell and boil by this issue's end. Hellboy, minus the eye he gave to the Baba Yaga, and minus Excalibur, takes on a small army of guards to get to Nimue, the Queen of Blood who is transforming into the Ogdru Jahad, whose presence has plagued the Hellboy world for some time. Alice, Hellboy's girlfriend, is visited by King Arthur in what may or may not have been a dream, and she presents the still-not-dead founder of the pub(his life extended by drinking from the holy grail in world war 1) she's staying in with Excalibur, who transforms into a glittering, youthful knight who is crowned by a mysterious shrouded woman. This knight may or may not be a younger Arthur. In what was probably the most epic thing i've yet read in a comic, this knight walks outside to face the large army consisting of the Noble Dead of Britain with the holy grail. He pours the liquid into the ground and all the knights are restored back to their youth as Nimue commands her army of monsters to invade the world of man and slaughter them all. **** just got real. As I said, you could feel the epicness rising as the book progressed and its just about to explode by book's end. The pacing of this book was spot on. The one year wait was worth it. Duncan Fegredo's artwork is stellar as it's always been since he came on board with Darkness Calls several years ago. While I had my doubts that Mignola could wrap the story up in 3 issues(considering The Wild Hunt was 8, and this final Storm & The Fury arc is 6), I think I'll be in for a pleasant surprise by August. This is so exciting.

BPRD: The Dead Remembered #3: This whole arc has been kinda disappointing. We finally get to see Liz Sherman's backstory and her first technical "mission" as a teenager. Professor Broom takes Liz to investigate a haunting in New England with ties to the Salem Witch Trials. The story has all the right emotional set-ups, especially in this issue, but it just kinda falls flat. Mike Mignola and Scott Allie co-wrote this one. Again, it was disappointing, especially considering the talent behind it. Scott Allie's work on Solomon Kane was fantastic so I don't know what happened here.

Witchfinder: Lost & Gone Forever #5: Another conclusion in the Hellboy world. I have to re-read this entire story again. Reading just this issue gave the whole story a kind of flat, anti-climatic ending with the explanation given to us in the last several pages after a bunch of crazy, confusing things happened. I enjoyed it however, just not as much as previous issues of this mini, and this arc overall wasn't as good as the previous arc "In The Service of Angels". But this arc had beautiful artwork by the legendary John Severin and as I've said in previous reviews of this series, Severin's artwork has never been better. I mean, his EC and Marvel work was great. But the stuff he's put out these last 10 years or so have been awesome.

Batman: Knight of Vengeance #1: The only Flashpoint title I'm buying, only because it's Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso. I was curious about how this was gonna play out because Azzarello has very specific way of writing Batman as this Philip Marlowe style tough guy, who almost reluctantly does what he does, but finds hope in it at the same time. But here, we're getting a different Batman: a more brutal, unhinged Batman. Of course, it's not Bruce Wayne but Thomas Wayne. So there you go. What we have here is a man whose family was slaughtered before his eyes and has had NO time to train his body and mind to seek justice. Instead we have a bitter shell of a man fueled by vengeance and anger. This isn't the tactical genius Bat-God of the regular universe. The only prep time this Batman has is the split second before being attacked by the enemy. The fall, if you want to call it a fall, of this man has to be incredibly compelling and tragic. Here we have a man who was, presumably, loved by his city, gave so much to it as a respected doctor and his family is taken from him. This isn't exactly Frank Castle in a Batsuit, if PunisherMAX is anything to go by. I'm curious to see how Azzarello goes about showing this to us in the next 2 issues, if Geof Johns doesn't already intend to do it in Flashpoint. I thought this issue was fantastic. The atmosphere from the opening page was pitch-perfect, and the implication of who The Joker might be is tantalizing. While some have complained that the issue was lacking dialogue, I felt that it really helped. This was driven by atmosphere, this book. It was almost purely cinematic. The mood drove this story and it was fantastic. Looking forward to Part 2.

Criminal: Last Of The Innocent #1: Didn't actually read the issue yet. But it's Brubaker doing crime comics, a genre which I much prefer reading from him. The only reason I bought this issue was for the article published in the back. It was Brubaker reflecting on 2 crime book series for kids: The Great Brain and Encyclopedia Brown. While I never read any Great Brain stuff, I spent a good deal of time in elementary school reading the Encyclopedia Brown books and loved the hell out of them. It was fun reading what Brubaker thought of them when he was a kid, back when they were new(I'm 22 and I just kinda found them on a bookshelf at the school library and read them). Good stuff. A nice nostalgia trip.

I was a bit worried that X-Men: First Class wouldn't be that good; but, I was fairly impressed by what I saw. Sure, looked like it was made much, much cheaper than many current Marvel films (or, even the past couple X-Men movies)...but, it had a nice plot, and the dialogue wasn't kitchy. Still, my favorite scene (not to give anything away) was when the F-word was used once. (Those who've seen it will know what I mean. The audience didn't laugh as much as I did; but, I thought it was a nice surprise.)

Some more quicky reviews.

Speaker For The Dead #5

The latest Ender mini left me rather disappointed. I know it's suppose to send readers some great message about how the three different civilizations can get along on one planet; but, it just doesn't compare to Ender's Game or Ender's Shadow. Kind of like how Peter David ruined X-Factor by making Layla so much older, this book suffers from having everything just move ahead too fast...or suffer from trying to preach to your readers, like Star Trek The Movie did so many years ago. :dry:

Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine #6

This came out last week; but, I just had to say what a huge disappointment this final issue was. When this comic first came out, it really impressed me. Then, when the two African American stereotypes showed up...and, then Mojo was revealed to be the main badguy...it took me a couple issues to get back on board. BUT, I was on board! This final issue was just a mess. Jumping around, Peter falling in love, and Logan and Pete having their blood brother's moment. Too much, too quick. Worst of all, I had zero emotional connection to this supposed romance that Peter had.

Utter crap! :csad:

Heroes For Hire #8

I finally caught up on this title, having read issues 2-8 in a day. While I enjoyed that first issue, and I have to say I won't be disappointed when this book eventually gets cancelled. It has no heart; and, frankly, the Paladin and Misty (lack of) romance is boring .... and been done before too often. Plus, how in the heck does anyone get paid for any of these adventures?? (Yeah, I know I shouldn't even be asking that question; but, fighting gang war type stuff is over done, and I don't see how it's getting anyone paid.) :dry:

Wulf #2

Atlas is back, and I'm thinking this is their best title. (To be fair, I haven't read their other two that came out this week; but, this one by Steve Niles seems the most accessable.) Basically, we have a Conan-type character who gets transported to Earth by means of sorcery. Meanwhile, there is a bad guy who must kill a human a day for each day he's allowed to stay on Earth. These are quick books to read; but, they're also a whole lot of fun.

I was holding out on putting Atlas' titles on my pull list until I had a feel for what I truly think of them; but, this one will definitely be added. :yay:

Wolverine/Hercules #4

The first three issues were a lot of fun to read, with some good humorous moments between the two main characters; but, this one was rather action-heavy...and, I found the action not interesting me that much. Still, there was one funny scene where Logan gets Herc to use the word Kraken.

Fun series, even though the final issue falls a bit flat. :yay:

Avengers Academy #14.1

A good issue that highlights what's good about this comic. While last issue didn't impress me much, I felt this one got things back on track. The team is really starting to gel, and Gage does a great job of having these characters stand out. Too often, it's all a bunch of generic new heroes whose powers aren't very interesting and whose interpersonal dynamic is hardly touched upon. Not so with this group. It's some of the best new characters I've read in ages...and, I like them much better than most that were introduced in The Initiative. :yay:

Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine #6

This came out last week; but, I just had to say what a huge disappointment this final issue was. When this comic first came out, it really impressed me. Then, when the two African American stereotypes showed up...and, then Mojo was revealed to be the main badguy...it took me a couple issues to get back on board. BUT, I was on board! This final issue was just a mess. Jumping around, Peter falling in love, and Logan and Pete having their blood brother's moment. Too much, too quick. Worst of all, I had zero emotional connection to this supposed romance that Peter had.

Utter crap! :csad:

This series really was a mixed bag in some ways. I'll say I enjoyed it overall, but it did not benefit from the delay between issues, and the anti-climatic ending did fall a little flat. I did discuss it more in earlier posts, at least the bit I found interesting. For a Mojo story it was alright, but overpriced. Ironically, this may prove to be the most successful of the ASTONISHING brand, beyond the ASTONISHING X-MEN series.

Heroes For Hire #8

I finally caught up on this title, having read issues 2-8 in a day. While I enjoyed that first issue, and I have to say I won't be disappointed when this book eventually gets cancelled. It has no heart; and, frankly, the Paladin and Misty (lack of) romance is boring .... and been done before too often. Plus, how in the heck does anyone get paid for any of these adventures?? (Yeah, I know I shouldn't even be asking that question; but, fighting gang war type stuff is over done, and I don't see how it's getting anyone paid.) :dry:

I like HEROES FOR HIRE. I think Abnett & Lanning are doing a good job with Misty Knight and Paladin, two characters who have never starred in their own series. The dilemma is that the premise seems to be struggling to fit the franchise title. As Misty has explained a few times, she doesn't really "hire" heroes with money, unless they're the sort that accept it, like Elektra or Silver Sable, or Paladin. Instead she offers other heroes a favor, often in the means of information about one of their enemies or a future mission of their own. Puppet Master was initially using Misty to clean up the streets for his own master to move in on, but he's been taken care of and Misty wants to run the show her way. I do think the rotating cast is a problem long term; most readers may not stick around for two C-Listers. Which is a shame. I do like Paladin getting some focus beyond being a money-grubbing merc. Given how quickly Iron Fist rebounded after the break up, Misty is owed some equal time, too.

In terms of sales, they have gotten stable, although it is closer to cancellation range than AVENGERS ACADEMY or BLACK PANTHER: MAN WITHOUT FEAR. It debuted at just under 33k and issue #2 fell to just barely above 23k, a 30% drop (an above average 2nd issue drop). After that, though, sales have gotten more stable. It's sold over 21,800 copies for two straight months (and the drop from March to April was literally 12 copies). Still, it may struggle to surpass a year even with double-shipping.

I'm enjoying it, but I do think it needs a stable cast. As it is, it seems like MARVEL TEAM-UP under another name (which isn't DEADPOOL TEAM UP), and while I never minded that format, most readers disagree. The next issues are set to star Gargoyle and the Shroud, among others.

Avengers Academy #14.1

A good issue that highlights what's good about this comic. While last issue didn't impress me much, I felt this one got things back on track. The team is really starting to gel, and Gage does a great job of having these characters stand out. Too often, it's all a bunch of generic new heroes whose powers aren't very interesting and whose interpersonal dynamic is hardly touched upon. Not so with this group. It's some of the best new characters I've read in ages...and, I like them much better than most that were introduced in The Initiative. :yay:

I am glad someone has hung tough with this title like I have. AVENGERS ACADEMY really is something special, and it actually deserves to have lasted as long as it has (Gage has spoken of issue #21 already and it should survive to complete a second year unless the bottom really falls out).

The Boys #55

Just finished reading the last three issues of The Boys; and, they were tough to get through. When Ennis is telling a straight-forward story that isn't reliant on knowing a lot of background, he generally hits a home run. Then, there are times during this book when he gets extremely wordy in finally giving readers some background about how and why these characters have gotten to where they are. Some of the stories, especially when they actually tell a story, can be entertaining; but, this one wasn't. I kept finding myself fighting to stay awake...or, that I'd zoned out and had to reread the page I was just one.

This book is in serious need of some action in the next storyline. :dry::csad:

Dracula: The Company Of Monsters #10

Busiek's Dracula has just been a joy to read. Sure, there are quite a few different groups and characters within this storyline; but, I don't feel bogged down, unlike with The Boys. And, while the reader isn't ever quite sure what's the main character's motivations and who he has a true allegiance to, that's the beauty of this book. I'm always left with a reason to come back the following month. :yay:

Haunt #16

Now, this is an interesting book when it comes to how I feel about it. It's never high on my reading list, as would explain how I finally got around to reading issues the last eight issues this weekend. At least I'm caught up. The good news is that they stories aren't bad...they just don't feel original. (It really has a Spawn feel to it...and, that's one of the reasons I quit reading Spawn around issue #60 back in the 90's.) The main character (not the dead brother) seemed like such a different person in the first few issues. A new reader wouldn't know that he used to be a priest. There was never a smooth transition between who he used to be and who he is now; but, it's not surprising, as this book doesn't handle transitions between scenes smoothly, anyway. In a way, it all feels kind of rushed...but, I also get the sense that the storylines we're experiencing now will be the norm. (That's what I got tired of with Spawn.) In 16 issues, it just seems like we've been experiencing the same villians, over and over again. I'm not too happy to hear that the Red Haunt-like entity will be come back time and time again.

A solid :yay: for the book, as the writing and story really isn't bad. I'm just not excited about it all.

Who Is Jake Ellis? #4

A decent mini; but, one that I'm glad is ending next issue. Both of the main characters aren't that interesting, although the concept is. Plus, the villians are rather generic. Next issue we should find out who Jake Ellis is.

For those interested in a good story by Nathan Edmondson, check out The Light from last year. A mild :yay: for this issue, as I'm quickly losing interest.

Shinku #1

Ron Marz's newest title seems pretty good, even though vampires are being done to death right now. Shinku is a female vampire hunter, and in this first issue we see things through the eyes of a guy she saves from being bitten outside a bar. Basically, you get Blade, female version; but, it's a fun read and very graphic. :yay:

Uncanny X-Force #11

Good first issue of the newest storyarc, "The Dark Angel Saga." With Dark Beast leading them in an effort to save Angel from becoming the replacement for Apocalypse, X-Force must travel to the Age Of Apocalypse. This was kind of neat, especially after the ho-hum AoA rip-off, "Age Of X," that was in New Mutants and X-Men Legacy recently. I love seeing many of those old characters I remember so fondly; but, can't say I was surprised when they were double-crossed by Dark Beast. :yay:

Who Is Jake Ellis? #4

A decent mini; but, one that I'm glad is ending next issue. Both of the main characters aren't that interesting, although the concept is. Plus, the villians are rather generic. Next issue we should find out who Jake Ellis is.

For those interested in a good story by Nathan Edmondson, check out The Light from last year. A mild :yay: for this issue, as I'm quickly losing interest.

Oh, didn't you know? That's been extended into an ongoing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"