Bought/Thought for September 1st - SPOILERS

Are you kidding me? If Baron Zemo lost to a hamster with a Cosmic Cube, I'd buy three copies. :D

That is getting so old. Seriously. Stop.

I agree that alternate-universe Spidey is getting old, Marvel really should stop. :yay:

Really? So if Baron Zemo lost to a hamster with a Cosmic Cube, that wouldn't be the sort of thing you'd quietly try to forget?

Heck, I like Squirrel Girl, but even I try not to remind myself too much that she somehow made Dr. Doom beg for mercy with squirrels. :o

I remind myself of that every day. Remind myself hos totally great it was. :o

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? If Baron Zemo lost to a hamster with a Cosmic Cube, I'd buy three copies. :D

I'll never figure you out. :o

How about if Thor lost to Kirby (the coyote) because the mutt happened to have some Magical Maguffin attached to him? I mean, you complained when Thor was TKO'd because Amadeus Cho pulled some gadget out of his rectum, a practice that all super-geniuses in comics, from Reed Richards to Batman to Tom Strong, do. I can buy Thor or Thanos losing to Cho pulling out a plot convenient gadget and laying out technobabble. I can't accept Thanos losing to a set of animals regardless of what cosmic items they have.

(Admittedly, Thor seems to suffer those sort of defeats far more often than, say, Hulk or Wolverine.)

You're my favorite, Dready-face, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :atp:

Anal weapons, eh?

I like how this thread is becoming "adult-themed"... :woot: :up:

:yay:

TheCorpulent1 said:
Hey, JewHobs, are the X-Men still militaristic *****ebags in X-Men? People seem pretty keen on that title and I've been thinking of trying it out, but I don't want to deal with the more militaristic bent the X-Men have taken lately. I prefer them as superheroes promoting an idealistic future rather than a small army promoting survival at any cost.

They are still militaristic though less *****y. I think Second Coming has been the pinnacle of that and I'm expecting it to lighten some from here on out. Cyclops disbanded X-Force (though he doesn't know Wolverine and Archangel's kept it going in secret with Psylocke, Deadpool, and Fantomex). They're still fighting for survival though, which I guess kinda fits the X-Men and all.

However the new X-Men book with the Vampires in it has kinda strayed away from it. It reminds me more of older X-Men books before the recent turn since M-Day. You see Cyclops in a strategic leader role without the killing and military routine. I hate the modern direction of X-Men, but this book actually makes me excited for the title. It's worth a shot. And there isn't much to get caught up on. The 3rd issue comes out thursday.

The only bad parts in my opinion:

1) $4 price tag
2) Writer ignores Jubilee's role in New Warriors
3) After issue #2 you kinda need to pick up the Storm/Gambit oneshot and probably the first issue or two of Namor's ongoing as they search out the head and body of Dracula. I'm not sure how issue 3 starts or how it comes together, but I'm hoping I won't need to go and buy Namor for the X-Men story. At least the Storm/Gambit oneshot was a good read (despite so so art by Bachalo).

Though I guess if you like the Marvel Universe aspect of the Vampire thing, the Blade Oneshot, the X-Men stuff, and the Namor ongoing tie-ins flesh out the story a bit beyond just X-Men... and who knows where it goes from here. I know they're supposed to show up in Avengers, but I don't know where or in what way.

Last edited:
Hmm. I guess I'll leave it up to chance. If my shop's still got the first two issues when I make this week's comic run on Thursday, I'll try them out. If not, I'll probably wait and give the trade a try.

It really is worth it. This is probably the happiest I've been with an X-Men book since Morrison's run. I was frustrated with parts of Morrison's run and hated the ending with Cyclops and Emma getting together, but I did like a lot of it. Since then the book's gone downhill for me to the point where I almost dread buying it but just can't get myself to drop it. Now I'm even debating dropping Uncanny after this current arc it's that frustrating.

But the new X-Men book is suddenly a breath of fresh air. It's well written, the characters actually have personalities and roles. Each issue makes you actually care about what's happening. It honestly kinda reminds me more of the good aspects of the 90's X-Men (without the time-traveling X-TREMEness of it all). If the book could just drop some of the militarist premise that the genre has and get some of that old family feeling again it'd be stellular.

Isn't there enough complaining about Baron Zemo in Captain America, that you have to bring his poor name up??!!??

Hey...here is a novel idea: REVIEWS!

First, two comics that are low on my reading list.

Secret Six #25

I love Gail Simone; and, for the most part, I do like Secret Six. It's just that I don't clamore to read it each month. Generally, I have about three issues built up in my "must read" comic box; but, last month I caught myself up, and figure I might as well keep the streak going.

This issue was what I usually expect from a good Simone issue. We get a somewhat interesting plot, where I wish the focus would be more heavy on certain characters and less on others. I'm a bit tired of Catman lately...he's always moody; and, now they've made him seriously messed up. (Not sure if that's his name. It doesn't sound right to me.) My favorite parts deal with Black Alice. She's a welcome part of this team.

One good thing about this book is that Simone does her best to make each character unique and interesting. She's made me care about some of these villians. It's just that Gail's stories are nice reads...but, I just don't get the WOW factor ever. I shouldn't complain too much, though. At least it's only $2.99. :yay:

Batman Confidential #48

It's stories like this that have me deciding to drop this book after issue #50. This is a sequel to Superman & Batman Vs. Vampires & Werewolves. I don't think that book was too popular; so, the follow-up gets passed off to Confidential. (How many Confidential readers passed up that mini and feel a bit confused to who these characters are?)

I do like the idea of less miniseries from DC of Batman, and just having the stories run in this book. But, this story bored me. Some of the early Confidential stories were very good, especially the Batgirl/Catwoman story. Lately, it's been no great shakes. Thankfully, this issue ends this storyline....and, hopefully we won't be seeing these vampires and werewolves for quite some time. :dry::csad:

Thor For Asgard #1

I wish we'd get a few more of these Marvel Knights comics that give different interpretations of the 616 heroes. The current Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War has been a pleasant surprise; and, this one really wowed me quite a bit. It came as a bit of a shock to see Thor let the Frost Giants use women and children as living shields to be slaughtered in battle. That really set the tone for this book. And, it's stuck with me all day. The art in this comic is a bit dark...and, while I haven't been a fan in the past, it really lends itself beautifully to the story. From that opening battle to the final scenes of Thor unable to lift his hammer...this is one of the best of the week. :woot: (Only, you don't come away with a big smile on your face. It leaves the reader deep in thought and a bit depressed.)

Shadowland: Moon Knight #1

This was solicited last week; but, the West Coast didn't get it because of the printing problem. I was looking forward to this title, hoping to see a new direction for Moon Knight. Well, it looks like I got it, and I can't say I'm too happy. (I'm thinking someone reviewed this last week, and I want to see what others thought of it.)

Ya know, Slott has been wanting to do Moon Knight for ages; and, I wish to GOD someone at Marvel would have given him a go with the book. Brubaker is using him with his Secret Avengers...and, you'd hardly know he was in the title. And, now we see Moon Knight's girlfriend is knocked up...and she seems pretty darn happy about the whole thing. (Wasn't it not too long ago that she and Jake were having relationship troubles?) Also, we have a new "Shadow Knight," while Jake is still battling the big god that is in his mind.

For a Moon Knight story, I guess I'm a bit intrigued; but, as a Shadowland tie-in, I think it gets in the way of the Shadowland storyline. It just didn't blend as well as the other tie-ins did. (Course, that's still to be determined with the next two issues.)

This review really isn't that good...and, maybe that's because I just have a tough time pinpointing the elements that threw me off from both aspects of the comic: The Moon Knight and the Shadowland story. :dry::yay:

All right, cool. If it sucks, I'm hunting you down. :argh:

X-Men has been a pleasant surprise. I've loved it! Now, the tie-ins aren't as good as the main title, except for that first "Death Of Dracula." But, with the recovery of Dracula's two parts of his body, they might be slightly essential in order to get the whole story. (I'm waiting to see how the events in Namor #1 and Storm & Gambit are written into the next issue.)

Does the Namor first issue stand alone as far as his getting the head and heading back to the X-Men or whatever or is it continued into issue 2?

Shadowland: Moon Knight #1

This was solicited last week; but, the West Coast didn't get it because of the printing problem. I was looking forward to this title, hoping to see a new direction for Moon Knight. Well, it looks like I got it, and I can't say I'm too happy. (I'm thinking someone reviewed this last week, and I want to see what others thought of it.)

Ya know, Slott has been wanting to do Moon Knight for ages; and, I wish to GOD someone at Marvel would have given him a go with the book. Brubaker is using him with his Secret Avengers...and, you'd hardly know he was in the title. And, now we see Moon Knight's girlfriend is knocked up...and she seems pretty darn happy about the whole thing. (Wasn't it not too long ago that she and Jake were having relationship troubles?) Also, we have a new "Shadow Knight," while Jake is still battling the big god that is in his mind.

For a Moon Knight story, I guess I'm a bit intrigued; but, as a Shadowland tie-in, I think it gets in the way of the Shadowland storyline. It just didn't blend as well as the other tie-ins did. (Course, that's still to be determined with the next two issues.)

This review really isn't that good...and, maybe that's because I just have a tough time pinpointing the elements that threw me off from both aspects of the comic: The Moon Knight and the Shadowland story. :dry::yay:

I saw it as simply VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT #11 in which the SHADOWLAND tie in is completely obligatory, with an extra buck added to the price. Which I think is closer to the root of it, as Gregg Hurwitz is still aboard and carrying on with his run on Moon Knight.

I liked it overall, but my beef with it was that it overplayed it's hand. Of course with everyone gushing about life being so happy, including Marlene getting pregnant, you KNEW something horrific was about to happen. He and Daredevil are intertwined at the angst. Rather than be stunned when Marlene was attacked and left for dead in the final pages, I was merely curious why it took so long, when they were playing it about as subtle as a jackhammer. Moon Knight, like Daredevil, is NEVER allowed to be happy, or even in a position of "not miserable" for very long.

Dan Slott stated that he didn't like the supernatural angle to Moon Knight and wanted to play him up as bonkers, but so much supernatural stuff has occurred that there's little way that Moon Knight is just imagining Khonshu anymore, unless he's some sort of mutant with psychological issues, which would make me scream.

Does the Namor first issue stand alone as far as his getting the head and heading back to the X-Men or whatever or is it continued into issue 2?

That first issue can stand alone; but, Namor breaks a pact with some underwater vampires, and now those vamps will be hunting his people. So, the story will break away from the main one...but, still be somewhat linked.

Shadowland #3

Oh boy. Did this book just take a HUGE step back! I actually was laughing in parts that should have been taken seriously.

Case in point, Iron Fist and Shang-Chi. They act in this issue like Daredevil is on crack if he believes he can beat either of them. But, how many dang times have I see both characters get a pounding. When Iron Fist says, "you know you're no match for the power of the Iron Fist," I laughed. Oh, yeah...just like all those other people who've beat you. THEN, to see those two characters moaning, with Shang-Chi saying, "I am no longer the Master Of Kung Fu...that title must now pass to Matt Murdock." Oh boy...sometimes Diggle does write some awful crap. (I must say...I'm believing more and more each day that Johnston is doing the majority of writing currently on the DD's main title. You just have to compare this issue with those...then, look at Johnston's writing on the tie-in for Shadowland he's writing. DD has gotten better for a reason.)

Ok, so the worst part of this book...Diggle digs up Frank Castle for this storyline, and he's not FrankenCastle. Sure, FrankenCastle is ending soon enough; but, that just feels like a slap in the face to Remender. Diggle could have come up with many other characters to use in the Punisher's place...but, it just shows how bad this issue was.

Oh...and, now we have Bullseye coming back to life after only being dead for two whole months. Well, we knew that was coming. (Kind of like in Shadowland: Moon Knight, where Jake's girlfriend doesn't even get a full issue of being preggers. That baby is going to be lost quickly!) :dry:

Shadowland: Elektra One-Shot

And, this issue makes no sense in light of the ending of Shadowland #3. We see Elektra being so thankful to Matt for ending the life of Bullseye; yet, on the final page of Shadowland, she's right there with him in an attempt to resurrect his body. This issue didn't do a whole lot for me; but, I thought that touching ending made it all worth it. Not NOW!

Geez, I was so excited and up on Shadowland after issue #2 and some pretty good tie-ins; and, in one week's worth of comics, it all comes crashing down. :dry::yay:

Sky-Doll: Lacrima Christi Collection #2

This book should have just been a one-shot of both issues. Then, it would have been the same amount of pages for the usual price of $5.99. Nope, Marvel gives us half the quantity for the same high Soleil price tag. Worst of all, these tales weren't that interesting. They got away from the Sky Dolls, and they focused on some of the inhabitants of the universe they live in. The three stories presented look nice; but, the stories themselves weren't that good. :dry:

I'll never figure you out. :o

How about if Thor lost to Kirby (the coyote) because the mutt happened to have some Magical Maguffin attached to him? I mean, you complained when Thor was TKO'd because Amadeus Cho pulled some gadget out of his rectum, a practice that all super-geniuses in comics, from Reed Richards to Batman to Tom Strong, do. I can buy Thor or Thanos losing to Cho pulling out a plot convenient gadget and laying out technobabble. I can't accept Thanos losing to a set of animals regardless of what cosmic items they have.

(Admittedly, Thor seems to suffer those sort of defeats far more often than, say, Hulk or Wolverine.)

Is someone pulling something out of their ass and going 'Ah-ha! I have a device. Ah-ha!' really all that better than animals with humanish intelligent collecting parts of the most powerful weapon in the universe that grants incredible power to its wielder regardless of who or what it is?

Obviously, the situations are different, but what makes a pseudo-dues ex machina super genius device excusable, but having animals seeking and eventually gathering the infinity gems so horrible? Would it have really been better for you if in Pet Avengers #4 Reed Richards randomly jumping into the scene with a device and went 'Ah-ha! I have a device which can drive Thanos away! Ah-ha!' and then Thanos jump into his Thanos Chopper to fly into the sunset shaking his fist and cursing Mr. Fantastic and those animals, too?

Last edited:
X-Men has been a pleasant surprise. I've loved it! Now, the tie-ins aren't as good as the main title, except for that first "Death Of Dracula." But, with the recovery of Dracula's two parts of his body, they might be slightly essential in order to get the whole story. (I'm waiting to see how the events in Namor #1 and Storm & Gambit are written into the next issue.)
I liked The Death of Dracula a lot. That's part of why I'm interested in X-Men: to follow the vampire civil war storyline. Then I saw JewHobs talking about how great it was for the X-Men as well, so I figured I might give it a try.

Is Dracula's "good" son (the one who looks like Angel from the Buffyverse) allied with the X-Men now? Or is he on his own, with the X-Men merely caught in the middle?

He's only showed up once so far in the Gambit/Storm oneshot. He helped them out and then left, so he's on his own agenda at the moment.

Didn't Bachalo draw it? I happen to love Bachalo (unless he's in one of his phases where half the panels are incomprehensible).

Yeah, it's Bachalo so you should be fine. And it's not even particularly bad Bachalo.

I loved him back when he started Generation X and anytime it's not that good I'm critical about it.

Just so long as it's better than his "Assault on Weapon Plus"-era work, I'll be fine.

It's closer to that than Generation X, but not quite as bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"