Football (Soccer)

Iceland creating a lot of chances against our strongest side is a bit of a worry even if we do turn this around. Seem to be very open at the back for some reason.

Not a great performance and could have done without a loss before getting off for the Euros. Gordon looked good and adds width and pace on the left. Good for Palmer to get minutes and he looks creative and with a spark but didn’t have his finishing boots on. More minutes for Mainoo and an introduction for Guehi (although he got concussed late on). Trent is a good option when behind and can continuously create. I think Eze would be a player to bring on with more minutes against a team defending deep and tight. He looks like he could create some chaos in tight spaces.

Iceland creating a lot of chances against our strongest side is a bit of a worry even if we do turn this around. Seem to be very open at the back for some reason.
Not far off full strength when Bellingham is back. Iceland are determined to stuff up our tournaments . :funny:

Pretty poor from England tonight, I know its pre-tournamount but damn need to step up several levels otherwise just getting through the group might be a little trickier than first thought, yeesh.

Pretty poor from England tonight, I know its pre-tournamount but damn need to step up several levels otherwise just getting through the group might be a little trickier than first thought, yeesh.
Need to be able to unlock teams defending deep, compact, disciplined and decent in the air. We’re going to be in trouble if we give away a goal against one of the group teams and they turtle up. Eze and Trent need to be brought on earlier if that happens. Gordon I can see getting minutes in the tournament for strategic reasons and after this season’s form and his performance today.

There’s no whipping boys in our group. All teams we should beat but it isn’t easy to actually get the wins you need against opponents of this level that can defend and also have some threat with the few opportunities they’ll get .

Need to be able to unlock teams defending deep, compact, disciplined and decent in the air. We’re going to be in trouble if we give away a goal against one of the group teams and they turtle up. Eze and Trent need to be brought on earlier if that happens. Gordon I can see getting minutes in the tournament for strategic reasons and after this season’s form and his performance today.

There’s no whipping boys in our group. All teams we should beat but it isn’t easy to actually get the wins you need against opponents of this level that can defend and also have some threat with the few opportunities they’ll get .
Yeah I thought we would be going into this tournament buzzing and on a high but the vibes seem a little lowkey and downbeat at the moment with the whole squad, not exactly going in confident and as a favourite you would imagine would do.

Slightly concerning and fragile at the moment with the squad, maybe it will click in the first game and we might suddenly be full of confidence but Serbia are a better side than Iceland so we will just need to show a bit more than we are at the moment to really threaten this whole thing.

Looking forward to it starting next week anyway still but as ever with England plenty of doubt remains.

As long as Southgate is the manager it's hard to imagine England going anywhere. It's like trying to win a race with your handbrake pulled.

Just heard Leicester are after Ole for boss. :D

As long as Southgate is the manager it's hard to imagine England going anywhere. It's like trying to win a race with your handbrake pulled.
I fear our best chance was at Euro 2020/1 on home soil when the vibes were much better or the World Cup before that, just feels like this will be much tougher to do in Germany but we shall see how it goes but this will likely be Southgates last competition either way.

Yeah I thought we would be going into this tournament buzzing and on a high but the vibes seem a little lowkey and downbeat at the moment with the whole squad, not exactly going in confident and as a favourite you would imagine would do.

Slightly concerning and fragile at the moment with the squad, maybe it will click in the first game and we might suddenly be full of confidence but Serbia are a better side than Iceland so we will just need to show a bit more than we are at the moment to really threaten this whole thing.

Looking forward to it starting next week anyway still but as ever with England plenty of doubt remains.
It might help keep expectations in check ahead of the group games. Any of those could end up being a game like Iceland, and even Bosnia who were hard to break down for a good while. We’ve seen England and other top teams in past tournaments struggle to break teams down and then concede on the counter. Hopefully these results/performances mean everyone is focused going into those group games and not treating them like a formality.

I fear our best chance was at Euro 2020/1 on home soil when the vibes were much better or the World Cup before that, just feels like this will be much tougher to do in Germany but we shall see how it goes but this will likely be Southgates last competition either way.
That was our best chance for sure once we’d already got to the final but not quite the case before the tournament started. Even the prior World Cup suddenly opened up as it went on and we had a chance, despite it being the tournament with the least optimism ever for an England team before it started.

But overall, outside of injuries (which seem like they will unfortunately have an impact this time, especially in defence) we are better now with the likes of Rice, Bellingham, Foden, Saka and Kane pushing on to better numbers in the PL or in other leagues and with the younger players that much more experienced, plus some others like Palmer and Gordon coming through (I guess though we’ve lost the Grealish and Rashford of the time). Southgate also might be open to some bigger calls than he’s made before having dropped a bunch of big names from the squad, something he never would have done before.

I think Ole would do well with a team like that because he would set up a solid unit with a good counter attack and if you're a team like Leicester who just got promoted and want to stay up, that sort of manager would probably work well.

Unlike the majority of English exports a player who’s already able to conduct an interview in the language of the new country after his first season.

IMO it's a no brainer keeping VAR, the argument should never have been about doing away with VAR, more so improving it. Making sure the decisions are delivered firstly correctly with more consistency & quicker.

Also need more transparency in real time as to why something has or hasn't been given, strapping on a microphone to the referee like they do in the NFL allowing him to announce the decision to the broadcast/stadium with a quick summary. I'd also have a microphone on him that the broadcast can listen to so we can hear exactly what is being said between players/referee like in Rugby, not have to wait multiple days before the PGMOL decide to release the audio.

The biggest thing however for me is the consistency, it's unacceptable to have the level of fluctuation & as much human error interfering with decisions when you have the technology at your fingertips. It will never be 100% perfect, but it needs to be better than it was this season that's for sure.

IMO it's a no brainer keeping VAR, the argument should never have been about doing away with VAR, more so improving it. Making sure the decisions are delivered firstly correctly with more consistency & quicker.

Also need more transparency in real time as to why something has or hasn't been given, strapping on a microphone to the referee like they do in the NFL allowing him to announce the decision to the broadcast/stadium with a quick summary. I'd also have a microphone on him that the broadcast can listen to so we can hear exactly what is being said between players/referee like in Rugby, not have to wait multiple days before the PGMOL decide to release the audio.

The biggest thing however for me is the consistency, it's unacceptable to have the level of fluctuation & as much human error interfering with decisions when you have the technology at your fingertips. It will never be 100% perfect, but it needs to be better than it was this season that's for sure.
Yep, nothing wrong with the concept of VAR, just the execution. Need to make decisions far more quickly, more accurately and consistently and getting mic’d up will make it more transparent for fans. Doing that has massively improved things between officials, players and fans in rugby and cricket.

Reactions: B

Unlike the majority of English exports a player who’s already able to conduct an interview in the language of the new country after his first season.

Amazing how quick he's adapted in less than a year.

Last edited:
"We asked around the entire European continent in public but couldn't find anyone better. He's our man!!"

Warra' backing for him. This INEOS are just as shambolic it seems as the previous regime. He was 100% gone until the FA Cup win and they have suddenly back tracked as it wouldnt be so easy for them to do now.

At least a decision is made and we can move on, how much longer he lasts we shall see how the season starts and where we are in the table come Xmas. Need to drastically improve our Summer recruitment in order for things to get better overall though.

I'm happy with the decision but this was really poorly done by the club.

Either you believe in your manager and you back him or you tell him you want to see other people and you move on. The only effect this drawn out weight had was giving off the vibe that "we don't really want you but we also have a bit of a beer belly and can't attract anyone better looking so for now you can stay".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"