Football (Soccer)

Garnacho with a stunning overhead kick to put Utd ahead early doors.

Rashford scores a pen and Martial makes it 3 with 15 mins to go.

Hard to believe Utd for all their issues this season are only 5 points behind City. Also above Newcastle in the table despite a goal difference of zero (which would have been minus 3 before today) compared to +17 for Newcastle. :D

They've done well to avoid draws so all their positive results have been wins, usually by 1 goal.

Jude Bellingham breaks Cristiano Ronaldo's record after scoring again for Real Madrid​

14 goals in 15 games now. Dude can't stop scoring!

I feel like Harry Kane could break robert lewandowski's single season goal scoring record in the Bundesliga

I feel like Harry Kane could break robert lewandowski's single season goal scoring record in the Bundesliga
Yeah, looks like he’s on course. Hopefully he doesn’t get injured (for England’s chances too) and maintains this form for the rest of the season, and then he has every chance.

Some goal yesterday from Garnacho, easily on par with some of the more memorable recent overhead kicks that I can ever remember. Played alright overall, particularly 2nd half, although Everton did have some chances that they squandered. The early goal really put the crowd on the back foot because it sounded hostile, for obvious reasons, at Goodison after their 10 point deduction.

We played alright overall I guess, Everton still had far too many chances that we served up to them on a plate that they squandered that would have made us nervous. But it was fairly controlled throughout.

I'll take it, we need wins like these more often.

Not been able to login for a few days so missed a bit of stuff. That Garnacho goal though, damn, that was insane technique, one of the best executed overheads Ive seen and the ball going away from goal makes it that much harder.

Wasn't expecting to get anything tonight but a lovely run in the build up from Livramento which ends in a poacher's goal from Isak. 1-0 against PSG away! (only 25 mins in - and if we lose we are out)

Some goal yesterday from Garnacho, easily on par with some of the more memorable recent overhead kicks that I can ever remember. Played alright overall, particularly 2nd half, although Everton did have some chances that they squandered. The early goal really put the crowd on the back foot because it sounded hostile, for obvious reasons, at Goodison after their 10 point deduction.

We played alright overall I guess, Everton still had far too many chances that we served up to them on a plate that they squandered that would have made us nervous. But it was fairly controlled throughout.

I'll take it, we need wins like these more often.
Not been able to login for a few days so missed a bit of stuff. That Garnacho goal though, damn, that was insane technique, one of the best executed overheads Ive seen and the ball going away from goal makes it that much harder.
Yeah, one of the best overhead goals I can recall from recent memory. Will be in the running for goal of the season.

Interesting developments in the Champions League so far (Newcastle and Leipzig in winning positions, Shakhtar with a strong chance to advance to the knockout stages)

Newcastle got screwed with that penalty call.

Their lack of substitutions is baffling though
Bit of a joke and very painful to have that in the 98th minute. At least we aren't fully out though and there's still a chance if we can beat Milan at home and Dortmund (who've already qualified) put in a shift and stop PSG winning at their place.

As for the lack of subs it's just down to our injury crisis. We had to start a 17 year old away at PSG and look at our ridiculously weak bench below. 2 keepers out of 7 and outside of Dummett who’s barely played for us this season, Lewis Hall with 2 appearances while the other 3 are academy kids with 1 pro appearance between the lot of them. :D

• Dúbravka
  • Karius
  • Dummett
  • Hall
  • Ndiweni
  • Huntley
  • Parkinson

Interesting developments in the Champions League so far (Newcastle and Leipzig in winning positions, Shakhtar with a strong chance to advance to the knockout stages)
I didn't see that City got 3 goals back to come back and win. The PL needs a few European wins to get back on track for going for that 5th CL place. Still off the pace and getting close to the knockout rounds.

Shakthar are now level on points with Porto so it all comes down to the final game between them! Nice CL drama to come.

Was watching the last 20 minutes or so of PSG/Newcastle, that penalty decision was a joke. Again, braindead use of VAR ruining what would have been a fantastic result for Newcastle, it's like what did the officials want him to do, bounced off his chest onto arm at relatively close range. Crazy decision.

Hell of a few days in football! :wow:

City vs Liverpool was very reserved compared to their more recent contests, very cagey stuff overall. It was a good scrappy win for Arsenal to capitalise on that as well, the title race is closer than I was expecting in truth. I also enjoyed Fulham vs Wolves on Monday, Wolves were the slightly better team for me but VAR swung it for Fulham.

Aston Villa vs Spurs was an entertaining game but I think Spurs are starting to get found out, yes they have injuries and the "Angeball" is fun to watch, but it's so defensively reckless and tiring on the players that I wasn't surprised an experienced coach like Emery turned the tables.

United's performance against Everton was decent in the 2nd half but we struggled in the first, the lack of players in this squad who can run with the ball and evade the press is so evident, in this regard Kobbie Mainoo really stood out, his composure, technique and positioning were excellent, he looks like a real diamond and handled the hostile Goodison atmosphere with ease. At the other end it was another academy player shining with Garnacho's incredible overhead kick! Let's see how we get on tonight in Turkey.

Newcastle rolling over Chelsea on Saturday was a mix of their resilience, high energy and dynamic football, and Chelsea's erratic mentality, then last night I thought they defended heroically in the 2nd half and were totally shafted by the referee and VAR, that was never a penalty. The big issue though was they got hemmed in for 30 minutes as Howe couldn't make any substitutions and the players were running out of steam, if they didn't have so many injuries I think that 2nd half would have had a different story.

Bit of a joke and very painful to have that in the 98th minute. At least we aren't fully out though and there's still a chance if we can beat Milan at home and Dortmund (who've already qualified) put in a shift and stop PSG winning at their place.

As for the lack of subs it's just down to our injury crisis. We had to start a 17 year old away at PSG and look at our ridiculously weak bench below. 2 keepers out of 7 and outside of Dummett who’s barely played for us this season, Lewis Hall with 2 appearances while the other 3 are academy kids with 1 pro appearance between the lot of them. :D

• Dúbravka
  • Karius
  • Dummett
  • Hall
  • Ndiweni
  • Huntley
  • Parkinson
not familiar with that part of your roster, any wingers on that list they could have given the ball after blocking PSG's shots?

A few extra seconds of keeping the ball away from PSG would surely lessen the attempts at goal no?

not familiar with that part of your roster, any wingers on that list they could have given the ball after blocking PSG's shots?

A few extra seconds of keeping the ball away from PSG would surely lessen the attempts at goal no?
Not for the top 4, 2 keepers and 2 defenders. The bottom 3 I also had never heard of (but looks like a midfielder and 2 forwards) :D. Only one of them has made their professional football debut and played once. Asking a lot for them to do much at PSG away in the CL at a crucial time in their first ever game. :beaming:

If we had any of our usual midfielders available I’m sure they would have got on.

Hell of a few days in football! :wow:

City vs Liverpool was very reserved compared to their more recent contests, very cagey stuff overall. It was a good scrappy win for Arsenal to capitalise on that as well, the title race is closer than I was expecting in truth. I also enjoyed Fulham vs Wolves on Monday, Wolves were the slightly better team for me but VAR swung it for Fulham.

Aston Villa vs Spurs was an entertaining game but I think Spurs are starting to get found out, yes they have injuries and the "Angeball" is fun to watch, but it's so defensively reckless and tiring on the players that I wasn't surprised an experienced coach like Emery turned the tables.

United's performance against Everton was decent in the 2nd half but we struggled in the first, the lack of players in this squad who can run with the ball and evade the press is so evident, in this regard Kobbie Mainoo really stood out, his composure, technique and positioning were excellent, he looks like a real diamond and handled the hostile Goodison atmosphere with ease. At the other end it was another academy player shining with Garnacho's incredible overhead kick! Let's see how we get on tonight in Turkey.

Newcastle rolling over Chelsea on Saturday was a mix of their resilience, high energy and dynamic football, and Chelsea's erratic mentality, then last night I thought they defended heroically in the 2nd half and were totally shafted by the referee and VAR, that was never a penalty. The big issue though was they got hemmed in for 30 minutes as Howe couldn't make any substitutions and the players were running out of steam, if they didn't have so many injuries I think that 2nd half would have had a different story.
Yep, we didn’t need even to make good subs given the walking wounded after 98 minutes, just anyone who’s played football before would be a start. :funny:

I’m very proud of how we’ve played in 2 fixtures against PSG though. Losing home and away to the same team has been disappointing but otherwise I’m already happy with this first CL return after 20 years. If we get the Europa place in the final round of games or get lucky with Dortmund doing us a favour and stay in the CL for the knockouts, then amazing - but already I think we’ve done very well especially with so many injuries in our first taste of having 2 matches a week.

Really hoping Mainoo can prove to be the real deal. Given how your CM area is right now, he should be starting every game!

Angeball looks like it’s about to go through some testing times after its early flourish. I hope it can still do well as it is good listening to this guy talk, and I think many would love for entertainment value if this almost reckless attacking philosophy could work long term. At least things will be more interesting than with Conte and Mourinho at any rate.

Always good to see City drop points to keep the title race going longer. Every big team that comes up against them should give it everything to keep the league alive.

Not for the top 4, 2 keepers and 2 defenders. The bottom 3 I also had never heard of (but looks like a midfielder and 2 forwards) :D. Only one of them has made their professional football debut and played once. Asking a lot for them to do much at PSG away in the CL at a crucial time in their first ever game. :beaming:

If we had any of our usual midfielders available I’m sure they would have got on.
wow. that bad huh?

i get why Howe didn't pull the trigger with the subs then lol

wow. that bad huh?

i get why Howe didn't pull the trigger with the subs then lol
Yep, hopefully a bunch of our players start coming back from Jan so we can have a good second half of the season. We just got insanely lucky with injuries last season, and also didn’t have Europe to deal with.

Back to reality tonight, throwing away a win again when 3-1 up. Pretty much out of the CL which could be confirmed tonight but will be next game out, so poor defensively and Onana had another shocking performance, I really dont rate him at all, when the pressure is on he just isnt up to it, another dud signing for ETH I;m afraid Ive seen enough now to know he isnt going to become world class one day. Letting two long range free kicks along the floor is pretty poor at this level and you arent going to win much without a world class keeper.

The rest though are not much better and we just cant control games or keep out other side with just a bit of quality about them. Galatasary is hard but not exactly the hardest game in Europe and we have struggled against them home and away to be honest. The midfield is average at best and the defense is shakey, the attack cant get enough of the ball to cause consistent threats even though we did score some good individual goals we dont score many team ones or create much for the forwards.

No surprises again as this has happened pretty much every game in the CL now, we just arent good enough for it.

I totally missed the Galatasaray Utd match. Got busy even though I knew some of the CL games were kicking off early and by the time I go to check it's over. Seems like it would have been at least fun (for a neutral) with 6 goals. In the end a decent result without context but at this stage not quite enough. I guess still technically alive and with a chance of either Europa or even CL if Bayern can't be bothered in their last game with top spot already confirmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"