Fox, Blue Sky to do Peanuts film

mclay18

Avenger
Reaction score
Yes, you heard that right. The Schultz family actually hand-picked 20th Century Fox and Blue Sky Studios to animate, produce and distribute the film for a November 25, 2015 release. Steve Martino (Horton Hears a Who, Ice Age: Continental Drift) will direct from a script by Craig Schultz (Charles Schultz's son).

Source

I would've thought the Schultz family would've gone to Illumination Entertainment and Universal Pictures for this one. (Especially since they nailed the Seuss look in The Lorax.)

Last edited:
As long as its animated, it's cool. I was dreading that they were going to do this live action. :(

Well, the family is giving the go ahead and the son is writing, so who better to do it?

I can't wait to see Most Offensive Video turn the CGI film into a hilarious viral video, like they did with all the other Peanuts specials.

I was actually hoping for live action with a CGI snoopy like this:

looney-tunes-back-in-action.jpg

I don't know why. It just seems like another interesting route it could have gone. Of course you'd have to remain to the visual flair of the cartoon - but the Looney Tunes films have indeed proven that you can. Just animated with live action has always had a really interesting look to it.

Had to clarify that I DIDN'T mean:

165511__scooby_l.jpg

Although I liked the Scooby films, definitely wouldn't fit the aesthetic.

as long as the adults are never seen an 'speak' via a trumpet (or whatever they used) i will be interested ;).

Do kids today have what it takes to enjoy the Peanuts? Or is this going to be modernized to all hell, starting with Charlie Brown strutting down the street to a One Direction song? :o

Do kids today have what it takes to enjoy the Peanuts? Or is this going to be modernized to all hell, starting with Charlie Brown strutting down the street to a One Direction song? :o

According to TOLDJA, it took Fox two years' worth of negotiating with the Schultz family and estate to get the film rights. So Fox and Blue Sky Animation had to make some concessions on their own, and ditto for the Schultz family.

2D animation only does well on tv, and if they want to break into theatrical, they gotta move with the times.

as long as they keep snoopy's laugh and his dance/the music that goes with it i'll be happy :D

I really don't like the idea of CG Peanuts.

There's plenty of Peanuts merchandise out there... making a 3D animated version of the characters shouldn't be much of a stretch (as they have plenty of reference material). The question is, how will the animators make these characters' faces more expressive without mangling what made them special?

On an unrelated note, I wonder if Marcie will still continue to refer Peppermint Patty as 'sir.'

2D animation only does well on tv, and if they want to break into theatrical, they gotta move with the times.

I disagree. I see no reason a 2D film couldn't do just as well as a 'CG' film.

I still have yet to see a character who started in 2D transition to CG well,so I'm a little concerned about that,and it being done by Blue Sky makes me even more wary.Truth be told I think stop motion be a better idea.

After hearing about this, I can't help but imagine the first teaser trailer being a CGI version of the famous football scene.

I still have yet to see a character who started in 2D transition to CG well,so I'm a little concerned about that,and it being done by Blue Sky makes me even more wary.Truth be told I think stop motion be a better idea.

Tintin had a decent transition from 2D comic to 3D animated film. Not to mention Blue Sky and Illumination did a terrific job bringing the Dr. Suess style to life for Horton Hears a Who and The Lorax.

I'd be more confident if Illumination and Universal were behind this, though.

Tintin had a decent transition from 2D comic to 3D animated film. Not to mention Blue Sky and Illumination did a terrific job bringing the Dr. Suess style to life for Horton Hears a Who and The Lorax.

I'd be more confident if Illumination and Universal were behind this, though.
I have to agree with this.Even though I hated Despicable Me.I did like the designs of the minions.I just really hope they don't make them look like every other human character in most CG animated films.They could look good if they stayed stylized imo.

Some of the guys from Illumniation used to work at Blue Sky.

Some of the guys from Illumniation used to work at Blue Sky.

Oh... interesting.

It should get even more interesting once Fox releases a pic of what the characters will look like. We probably won't get a glimpse of them until late next year or 2014, though.

That above shot is probably pretty accurate in regards to what we might get. I mean, if you look at Horton, that was the first attempt to bring Seuss' drawings to life via CG. When I saw the first shot of Horton I was like, they basically brought the art to life.

Hey, it could work. This one never fails to put me in a good mood:

That's actually nice. Imagine a polished version of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"