The Amazing Spider-Man Franco and Dunst Comment on the Spider-Man Reboot

To me it's just an annoyance. Aunt May means alot to Peter, so for her to hate his alter ego makes us, the audience not like her. Raimi got it right by having May believe in Spider-Man.

I also think it makes Aunt May look senile or just plain stupid. In the comics she would boo Spider-Man and cheer on Doctor Octopus after he kidnapped her or whatever. And it was all because Spidey looked sinister in his get up.

I always found it hard to take comic Aunt May serious whenever she gave some big mentor speech considering how stupid and annoying she usually is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JustABill
To me it's just an annoyance. Aunt May means alot to Peter, so for her to hate his alter ego makes us, the audience not like her. Raimi got it right by having May believe in Spider-Man.
Very true!

I absolutely agree. that's why I always gravitate to marvel because their character grow, dc's characters are stuck in amber, not evolving, not change. how long before bruce wayne comes back...tick tock. GL back, flash back. ZZZZZZZZ..

sorry, went off at a tangent there

I absolutely agree. that's why I always gravitate to marvel because their character grow, dc's characters are stuck in amber, not evolving, not change. how long before bruce wayne comes back...tick tock. GL back, flash back. ZZZZZZZZ..

Yeah, I hate that Hal Jordan and Barry Allen are both back. Sooo boring. Bruce Wayne however's not really a bad thing, even though I am enjoying Dick as Batman. But we were perfectly fine when Kyle Rayner and Wally West had a hold of things.

Yeah, I hate that Hal Jordan and Barry Allen are both back. Sooo boring. Bruce Wayne however's not really a bad thing, even though I am enjoying Dick as Batman. But we were perfectly fine when Kyle Rayner and Wally West had a hold of things.

you WILL enjoy hal and barry! why? because that's ALL you are getting, we couldn't care LESS that you've been following kyle and wally for years. I'm dropping flash and if it wasn't for BN I'd drop GL as well.

back to marvel, their characters always move forwards (with the exception of BND) that's way marvel have such a well of characters to bring to the big screen whilst dc rely heavily on their big two (well, big ONE now that superman has jumped the shark).

Is that why Spider-man is single again?

James Franco is a great actor and he will be in tons of great movies we can see him in,Dunst however is not a good actor at all and this will be the last that we see of her,thank God.

like how ben reily replaced peter parker, who finally had that baby with mj....only for reily to die, parker to come back as spidey, baby may gone except in an alternate universe comic that gets cancelled every five issues...and oh yeah...the entire mj marriage retconned.

Or how about Steve Rogers getting replaced, then coming back after two years.

Or how about the fact that most of Marvel's characters have NEVER been replaced? Say what you will, but marvel never had the guts to replace ANYONE of their flagships for a significant amount of time.

Should I continue or have you realized how silly you sound bashing one company and praising another when they do the same exact thing?

1) Aunt May never hated anyone.
2) Aunt May was worried about Peter taking pictures of a vigalante, fearing he would get hurt
3) JJ hates Spider-Man, and yet, I do not hate his character. I love his character, because I understand his motivation and his role as a character.
4) Having Aunt May "distrust" Spider-Man, and not be his biggest fan (especially at first), will add to the storyline for Peter, and for Aunt May IF they decide to have her discover Peter's secret, and espeically IF they decide to one day show us Aunt May's death arc.

I think that would be VERY powerful and moving.

The reason people end up not hating Jameson is because he isn't a central character, or one Peter cares about or is scared of. Peter loves Aunt May and it would crush him, and us along with him, if she hated Spider-Man. Plus, even though she doesn't care for Spidey I still feel bad for Peter. Not getting the respect he deserves because its a secret.
Aunt May was always overly protective and worried about Peter, she didn't like many things because she worried about her Fragile Nephew. She never hated Spider-Man, but probably would think he was a dangerous vigilante. They also showed she liked Jameson and thought he was so wise and a good man, so its no stretch to think she might think he was right about Spider-man.
(I am talking about the classic Aunt May, not the Ultimate or the recent.)

... and because JJ Jameson is full of bluster and used frequently for comic relief (less frequently in Bendis' Ultimate works... although still comic relief at times as the straight man - "Yahtzee?").

JJJ is supposed to be a *****ebag. That's why we love him. Aunt May is supposed to be a sweet old lady. JJJ has the "magnificent bastard" thing going for him but if Aunt May isn't likable then she just becomes annoying.

The beauty of Aunt May not being a fan of Spdier-Man is it brings into play the fact that someone that Peter loves dearly, does not like his alter-ego.

Along the same lines, but not to the same extent as Gwen's storyline where she blames Spider-Man for the death of her father.

Greatness!

It's like the old situaton where ONCE you get the two love interests together, you lose the spark that made the story interesting to begin with, and then the writers have to manufacture reasons to cause conflict/story (see Peter and MJ in SM2-SM3.. sheeesh).

I like the strife that it causes in Peter's life, when those around him he loves, are not fans of Spider-Man. Aunt May does not hate Spider-Man, but she is not a fan. Gwen Stacy (blaming Spider-Man for the death of her beloved father.. HATES Spider-Man, and that is great storyline potential).

If I remember correctly did not care at all about Spider-Man until after he saved her from Doc Ock no ?

Franco was the best part about SM3 I though. Probably the most consistent actor in the whole series.

If I remember correctly did not care at all about Spider-Man until after he saved her from Doc Ock no ?

I think the only thing she said about him before that was "the less said about that man the better" or something like that. I prefer movie Aunt May. Comic aunt may, (really cartoon aunt may) always annoyed me with her negativity towards Spider-Man.

Fair enough. I happened to like comic May. It added yet another dimension of problems to Peter's life. What I like about Spidey is that pretty much alone among superheroes he is in having virtually no support structure for his hero-ing. For the longest time in comics, nobody(except for GG, an enemy) knew his secret. He had no one to lean on. All other superheroes do have someone who knows their secret.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"