Friday the 13th Film Series

Batgirl0202

Sidekick
Reaction score
Forgive me if there's already a thread to discuss the Friday films. But as an uber fan I thought it might be fun to have a place to discuss everything Jason related.

These movies are required viewing for me every October. It's generally only the original 8 films that hold my attention. I don't hate Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X as much as everyone else does but I don't consider them essential viewing either. And I do confess to having a soft spot for both Freddy vs. Jason and Friday the 13th 2009...

Any other serious fans out there? Let's talk!

I always skip Part 9 and Jason X. I do really like the '09 film quite a bit. My favorites would be Part 6, 2, 4 and '09 film.

Fun Fact: Tomorrow marks 13 years since the release of the last F13 film.

With the recent success of Halloween and Scream, the big man and Frederick will have their renaissance sooner than later.

Yeah, I think 1-4, 6, FVJ and the reboot are all the ones that work for me.

13 years since the last one? That must be the longest it’s been between films? Before that was, I think, between Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X.

My favourite entries are Part II, Jason Lives, the OG, and Jason Takes Manhattan. Last time I did a rewatch, I also gained a newfound appreciation for Parts III and VII: The New Blood, both of which I'd previously found to be slightly dull. But anyways I like all of them. Yes, even the ridiculous misstep that is Jason Goes to Hell.

I rewatched F13th 2009 the other night for the first time in years, and I actually think it holds up well. It still bothers me we never got to see Derek Mears reprise the role after the film. He was easily, for me, the most terrifying Jason in the entire series.

I love all of them but if I had to pick some highlights, they would probably be Parts 2, 3, 5, and 7. And I agree that Derek Mears brought a brutality and realism to the role that will be hard to top...

What surprises me about the first 8 films when I do my annual rewatch is how stylistically consistent they are. I can almost pretend while I'm watching them that they were all written and directed by the same person. It's like each new director studied the mythology and conventions of each previous installment and decided to honor them. Very cool...

Fun Fact: Tomorrow marks 13 years since the release of the last F13 film.

Method to my Madness for this thread! And I agree 1000%, it's time for Jason to get his reboot. With all the nostalgia craziness going on in Hollywood right now, there must be some serious legal obstacles going on behind the scenes for this much time to have passed without a new Friday film...

Part III's Richard Brooker is my pick for best Jason btw. Though I'm also fond of Kane Hodder and his enthusiasm for the role.

Jason Takes Manhattan is my favourite, followed by the one with the girl who has telekinesis.

I’m not sure how many of these movies I’ve seen but I have to admit (with apologies to the fans) that I didn’t think any of them were good. I enjoyed them as guilty pleasures that are fun to laugh at but are any of them legitimately scary and well acted? If so, I definitely missed those installments.

I’m not sure how many of these movies I’ve seen but I have to admit (with apologies to the fans) that I didn’t think any of them were good. I enjoyed them as guilty pleasures that are fun to laugh at but are any of them legitimately scary and well acted? If so, I definitely missed those installments.

I'm a huge fan and they're all big silly fun to me.

Nope. The only legitimately tense and thrilling one is a fan film called Never Hike Alone. 960D5F34-91F3-4BDC-AE8D-13D6FCFC0905.jpeg

I feel ya Deckster, and this is something I hear quite often from folks who aren't huge fans of the series like I am.

As such a fan I'll add my two cents, for whatever it's worth to ya. I personally feel that the Friday series was never given its fair shake from critics. And lest anyone question my sanity, I'm not gonna try to argue that these are awards-worthy films lol. However, I would argue that there's more going on with these movies than they've been given credit for.

For one thing, it always amazes me how consistent the Friday movies are, both thematically and structurally. To get the full experience, you really need to watch the first eight films sequentially. Watching them scattershot doesn't work for these movies. When consuming them this way, you might be surprised at just how much of a piece they actually are. Squint just a little bit and they could almost pass for the work of one director instead of eight different helmers.

Now compare this to other long-running horror franchises like the Halloween and Nightmare movies. I also love those franchises dearly but they're definitely more scattershot in nature than the Jason movies, especially the Myers movies which feel compelled to reboot and reset their narrative every couple entries or so. The first eight Jason films are actually one continual narrative, which is relatively unique for an '80s horror franchise.

Another common complaint I come across with the Friday movies is how shallow and stupid the victims are, which I do concede has some merit. But if you watch closely enough, you might notice something seriously sad going on in these movies. The deaths in these films generally don't happen in a vacuum, and they often have a lingering pall-like effect on the narrative. More often than not, the people who die in these films are either in established or developing relationships, which lends an inherently tragic dimension to the overall narrative. They really hammer home the finality of death, as well as the sadness of love in a temporary world.

There are lots of examples, from Shelly dying as an unlovable loser in the third film, to Trish losing her first serious boyfriend in the fourth film, to Sam getting killed before finding out that she was Paul's first choice in the fourth film... the list goes on and on.

Anyway I could go on for hours but it is what it is. You're either into these movies or you're not. But if you ever decide to give them a chance and watch with fresh eyes, you just might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Echoing Batgirl0202, I will concede that F13 is a more consistently fun series of movies compared to Halloween. Halloween is just awful as a franchise. The Nightmare on Elm Street series has far higher highs than F13th so it edges it out for me.

Eh, I still have more fun with Halloween and its ridiculous twists and turns that are reminiscent of a soap opera.

There's no F13 movie that's nearly as good as the original Halloween or Elm Street, however as a whole the F13 series for me has more enjoyable/watchable entries than either.

It's interesting.

I have recently been re watching the series. I hadny seen them for years and to be honest,I wasn't a big fan when I first saw them. I liked the original movie and Jason Lives but didn't care for the rest of them. I couldn't understand the love that The Final Chapter got from fans. Well my opinion has changed quite dramatically since rewatching them. I had a great time with the seeies and now The Final Chapter is my favourite of the bunch and one of my top favourite slasher ever. I love it.

I feel ya Deckster, and this is something I hear quite often from folks who aren't huge fans of the series like I am.

As such a fan I'll add my two cents, for whatever it's worth to ya. I personally feel that the Friday series was never given its fair shake from critics. And lest anyone question my sanity, I'm not gonna try to argue that these are awards-worthy films lol. However, I would argue that there's more going on with these movies than they've been given credit for.

For one thing, it always amazes me how consistent the Friday movies are, both thematically and structurally. To get the full experience, you really need to watch the first eight films sequentially. Watching them scattershot doesn't work for these movies. When consuming them this way, you might be surprised at just how much of a piece they actually are. Squint just a little bit and they could almost pass for the work of one director instead of eight different helmers.

Now compare this to other long-running horror franchises like the Halloween and Nightmare movies. I also love those franchises dearly but they're definitely more scattershot in nature than the Jason movies, especially the Myers movies which feel compelled to reboot and reset their narrative every couple entries or so. The first eight Jason films are actually one continual narrative, which is relatively unique for an '80s horror franchise.

Another common complaint I come across with the Friday movies is how shallow and stupid the victims are, which I do concede has some merit. But if you watch closely enough, you might notice something seriously sad going on in these movies. The deaths in these films generally don't happen in a vacuum, and they often have a lingering pall-like effect on the narrative. More often than not, the people who die in these films are either in established or developing relationships, which lends an inherently tragic dimension to the overall narrative. They really hammer home the finality of death, as well as the sadness of love in a temporary world.

There are lots of examples, from Shelly dying as an unlovable loser in the third film, to Trish losing her first serious boyfriend in the fourth film, to Sam getting killed before finding out that she was Paul's first choice in the fourth film... the list goes on and on.

Anyway I could go on for hours but it is what it is. You're either into these movies or you're not. But if you ever decide to give them a chance and watch with fresh eyes, you just might be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks, Batgirl; yeah I agree that critics were probably too harsh on these movies in that they’ve been kinder to some of F13’s contemporaries despite many of those films being just as bad if not worse. And the franchise does deserve credit for continuing one big story for most of the series instead of constantly rebooting itself like Halloween has. And after the god-awful embarrassment that was Halloween Kills (as well as those horrid Rob Zombie remakes) I would definitely give a new F13 movie a shot before I would sit through the next Halloween movie. And I say that as someone who absolutely LOVES the original Halloween.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"