World Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #7 MAJOR SPOILERS SHOCKING RETURN

Lol.....well thanks for making my mind up about keeping FNSM.....I truly wish Pete had stayed dead....I wouldn't miss him near as much as I do now!

Citizen_Kaine said:
Spider Girl?

Spider Girl anyone?

Aunt May is dead, Baby May is alive, Kaine is still here :up:, and The Real Hobgoblin as well, not to mention consistant quality month after month and respect for a characters history. And of course my personal favorite Spidey writer Tom Defalco

or you could read the other Spider Man What If? series, you know, the one featuring Iron Man's sidekick, Stingers, Mexican Wrestling, Uncle Ben and the villians from 2099 :o

LOL. Gosh, when you put it that way, maybe Ben Reilly should've stayed on as Spider-Man...wow, I can't believe I even said that.:)

stillanerd said:
LOL. Gosh, when you put it that way, maybe Ben Reilly should've stayed on as Spider-Man...wow, I can't believe I even said that.

In your heart of hearts you know it to be true 'Nerd :) :up:

Citizen_Kaine said:
In your heart of hearts you know it to be true 'Nerd :) :up:

*sticks fingers in ears* I'm not listening. Hmmmmm.... :)

As much as I despise the idea of Ben being resurrected, I honestly don't think it'll be that bad. It can't possibly be anything more than a "What if?" style story, simply becauseof this line "The Letters page promised that we would see what Happened if Uncle Ben had never died." And I doubt he'll be alive by the end of the arc.

So personally, I'll take it with a grain of salt, and (hopefully)enjoy it as a What if?. besides, it's written by Peter David, it can't really be that bad.

That being said, if it's not a what if tale, I'll be pretty depressed.

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread to post this in...but since this is the current heated up topic:

Never in my not so long comic book reading career would’ve I imagined experiencing what must've experienced my comic book geek kin at the age of the Clone Saga...

Hoban said:
As much as I despise the idea of Ben being resurrected, I honestly don't think it'll be that bad. It can't possibly be anything more than a "What if?" style story, simply becauseof this line "The Letters page promised that we would see what Happened if Uncle Ben had never died." And I doubt he'll be alive by the end of the arc.

So personally, I'll take it with a grain of salt, and (hopefully)enjoy it as a What if?. besides, it's written by Peter David, it can't really be that bad.

That being said, if it's not a what if tale, I'll be pretty depressed.

A few weeks back I made a post about why I feel bothered over the new suit, despite the fact that we all know the suit is temporary.

Again the problem is that every story is the big life-altering event.

And at the same time, every story is the same old thing. We just saw Uncle Ben alive in House of M. We pretty much know what Peter's life would be like if Ben lived. So Marvel needs to cover new territory.

What I'd like to see- character driven stories- not gimmickry. Moving Peter and his supporting cast toward the future, and not rehashing the past. Over and over again.

I...wow, just...wow.

I honestly believed that was the one place Marvel would not go to; perhaps I gave them too much credit but, it feels like that's sacred grounds. What else can you possibly do to Uncle Ben? He's definately a fire in Peter's reasons for being Spider-man, so in essence he's always there, but...bringing him back? Even if it is temporary? Usually I try to stay laid back about those "life-altering, world shaking events" but...that just really takes the cake. Is there any real reason for Ben to return? Just to give May grief for dating Jarvis? I know nothing about this latest story with Future Hobgoblin, so I really can't say much, but...

The logic does not compute. I give comic science the benefit of almost any doubt, but this just doesn't remotely compute.

The thing isn't haven't we already seem something like this twice? There was that What If issue I think. Then there was House of M, the main storyline where Peter is awaken from Wanda's power to have all of his memories of growing up with Uncle Ben being alive, etc. Then there is the House of M Spider-man issues where he's alive and well there. We saw how Peter's life changed with Uncle Ben being alive, granted it was in a world rulled by Magento's family but still it was done.

Is there really a need to do it again? This one does seem like it could be being done just to give May grief over dating Jarvis which just seems wrong and stupid. Leave the woman alone seriously. She was already imagining he was with her when she had her converstations with him, let the woman live the rest of her life. As if she doesn't have enough to worry about with Peter being Spider-man and then the upcoming Civil War and the recent The Other situation.

Wasn't there a whole supporting cast of people when it comes to Spider-man. Where have they been lately?

Supporting Cast

Harry: dead
Gwen: Dead
JJJ: Peter's a teacher so JJJ goes bye bye
Robbie: See above
Liz: Harry died and she seems to have fallen off the face of the earth
Ned Leeds: Dead
Betty: See reason for JJJ and the reason for Liz
Randy Robertson: Awol
Jill Stacy: Back in England
Paul Stacy: Back in England
Sha Shan: Limbo
Lance Bannon: Dead

LarryLegend said:
Liz: Harry died and she seems to have fallen off the face of the earth

When was the last time Liz or Normie were around? I know she got the boot after Norman returned and took back Oscorp, but that's all I remember.

She was in the Paul Jenkins Peter Parker/Spectacular run. Haven't seen 616 Normie for a while though.....

Yeah... just when May is starting to find happiness... :(

In taking a few deep breaths and thinking about it, this CAN NOT be a permanent change, and I don't think it will be. But, boy, it sure is going to mess with everyone's head. It could be touching... or just depressing and painful... like ripping open an old wound.

After the Vanessa story, which was a strange downer, I'm thinking it's probably going to be sad/bad. I really don't read Spider-Man to be depressed.

I know to be realistic, Peter and MJ have to have their share of troubles, but this is getting ridiculous... it's not that they can't pay the rent, it's that their home is burned down... and it's unending. Is it my imagination, or have they ramped up the torture on poor Spidey in the past 2 years?

I have a theory (it just popped into my head)... I think the editors and writers in some twisted way think Peter has to be TORTURED endlessly because he got back together with MJ...

Marvel Knight Spider-Man -
Aunt May kidnapped... Peter frantic, beaten within an inch of his life, forced to compromise his principles, betrayed, and on the verge of being defeated had MJ not made a phone call... not to mention the shock and horror at the bridge, yet again, seeing MJ dangling from the hands of the Goblin, who plans to kill her...

Sins Past -
Peter finds out that Gwen, his first real love and had cheated on him... getting skin to skin with his WORST enemy and bearing his children. She had months to tell him about it... and about her plan to have him raise the children, but she was killed before she could. He got to relive all that, with insult added to injury.

The Charlie Disaster -
Peter gets to have guilty flashbacks about how he mistreated a kid who was nerdier than himself... which eventually results in Peter, MJ and Aunt May losing both their homes and most all of their wordly belongings to a fire.

The Avengers/Hydra -
He gets a breather in this one... and a fun ride on a rocket full of anthrax. Of course, he realizes that something is not right, which is troubling...

The Other -
Peter finds out he is dying and there is nothing that can be done about it. Mental anguish all around on this one! Then he goes through the horror of being physically hurt worst than he's ever been hurt... defeated, maimed, and killed by Morlun. Then he has visions of a demonic looking spider-god(?) who tells him that he's just a pawn in the hands of mystic forces, and if he wants to live he better learn to like it. Talk about an identity crisis... Now, who the hell is he... what is true, what is just in his head, and who might be setting him up, yet again...

From what I've heard of the Civil War, Peter is going to have his life turned upside down, in new and creative ways... yeah, boy... can hardly wait. :(

CaptainStacy said:
This book sucks.

Spidey vs...um..."wrestler-guy": Pass.

Return of "Jack-ass Flash Thompson: Pass.

Return of....um..."Future Hoboblin-guy": Pass.

Now the return of Uncle Ben?

Quite frankly, i'm too bored with this nonsense to be "SHOCKED" anymore.

You know, somewhere (i.e. the offices of DC Comics) Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Brad Meltzer, and Mark Waid, are looking at this crap and just laughing their collective asses off.
haha
I actually like this man

Citizen_Kaine said:
Spider Girl?

Spider Girl anyone?

Aunt May is dead, Baby May is alive, Kaine is still here :up:, and The Real Hobgoblin as well, not to mention consistant quality month after month and respect for a characters history. And of course my personal favorite Spidey writer Tom Defalco

or you could read the other Spider Man What If? series, you know, the one featuring Iron Man's sidekick, Stingers, Mexican Wrestling, Uncle Ben and the villians from 2099 :o

A-friggin-men.

Unless they kill Uncle Ben in this story post haste, even I will be forced to drop ASM.

Dyeathrose said:
When was the last time Liz or Normie were around? I know she got the boot after Norman returned and took back Oscorp, but that's all I remember.

Liz was last seen in the "Venomous" storyline in 2004. Normie hasnt been seen since ASM #25 in 2001.

Alot of what Marvel is doing with Spider-Man hasn't impressed me,I will see how this story plays out when I read it before judging it.

PAD is one writer I trust after reading his 12 year Hulk run plus his short Spider-Man stint in the 80s which turned out the classic Death Of Jean Dewolf among others.

I guess he was right when he said a while back that issue 7 would light up the internet crowd .

Though after reading Spider-Girl 97 which was great,Im upset its not the original Hobgoblin coming back in the 616 Marvel.

:eek: Wow, ok so...Hobgoblin 2211 and uncle Ben....:rolleyes: riiiiiiight, that's a good idea. :(

Damn! And here I thought I only had to wait until Civil War was done before judging if 616 Spidey was worth buying again...Guess not.

I can't believe Marvel would have stooped so low...even after the crap they fed us with The Other.

While I think it's safe to say that Joe.Q is a real a**hole for continuously pulling these f***ing stunts, I blame the "collectors" even more for encouraging him to keep doing it.

I've got one question for those "collectors", what the f*** is it going to take for you people to open your eyes and take a stand? I mean, we're being force-fed this thrash month-in and month-out and we're all sick of it and yet you people keep going back for your monthly dose of ****!!!

Seriously, what is it going to take? You had Sins Past, Sins Remembered, approximately two years of totem-mystic-crap to react and still you go back. Yeah you're all pissed about the ****ty stories but YOU STILL GO BACK FOR MORE!!! And now they're bringing uncle Ben back and you know what?...As much as you're going to b**** about it when it happens, your going to stick around and "pray that it gets better". WTF does Marvel need to do to 616 Spidey before you've had enough???

I can understand not wanting to have gaps in your collections but dammit, buy the Goddamn back issues and show Joe.Q that he can't keep spitting in the fans' face and get away with it! 'Cause until you take a stand, the madness will go on...and you guys will be directly responsible!

I think people may be overreacting a bit. It's about someone screwing up the timeline. What's to say that this won't go back to status quo when the arc is all said and done? Uncle Ben's ressurection probably won't be permanent.

With that being said it's still gimmicky, hopefully Peter David can make it work.

I get what you're saying hulkamania85, but what pisses me off is that the story isn't only gimmicky, it's senseless and yet more harmful for 616 Spidey.

First of all, after reading the previews for June's issue, it mentions that this Hobgoblin has already killed the Spider-Men of latter ages. So coming back in time to make Peter quit being Spidey, in order to prevent his example from creating more spideys make absolutely no sense. He already killed the other ones so why bother?

Secondly, a lot of fans were expecting the original Hobgoblin to come back after PAD's comments and we get this lame rip-off instead. We already had a perfectly good Hobby (actually two if you count the one from Secret War) that are still fresh and full of potential but instead we're stuck with Hobgoblin from the year 2211. what a waste!

And I can't see how uncle Ben's revival can be helpfull either. I mean his death was the catalyst for Peter's super-hero career but it was the lesson it thought him that sealed the deal (with great power yadda yadda....). So ok, let's say Ben's back. Is Peter supposed to quit being Spider-Man because his uncle is no longer dead? Is the lesson Ben's death taught him no longer valid?
in fact it would be the total opposite. instead of remembering Ben's words about power & responsability, he'd get it straight from the horse's mouth accompanied by a slap in the back of the head whenever he gets one of his "Spider-Man no more" moods.

and if Ben dies again what does that teach Peter ? I'd say that at that point he should logicaly say "the hell with this" and poke his brains out with his stingers but it's a comic so that won't happen. and what about May? Another guilt trip for moving on with her life. Another depression for losing Ben again?

No my friend, this idea just plainly sucks!

I don't know how I'd react to Uncle Ben coming back. That's saying something because I've stuck through thick and thin with Spidey....I hope it's not true.

I'm speechless. :(

When I first heard about the HobGoblin from the future I knew the story surrounding it wouldn't be that great. I just hope they put the timeline back to what it was quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"