Frozen 2

In terms of soundtracks I think Frozen, Moana, and Princess and the Frog all have better music than Tangled. The songs in Tangled were lackluster except for “I See the Light”. Princess and the Frog’s soundtrack is very underrated.

Not my theory, but

tumblr_inline_p6b3o62nKq1rnz8us_540.jpg

The "new" girl character does have auburn hair, just like Anna and Elsa's mother.

Not my theory, but

tumblr_inline_p6b3o62nKq1rnz8us_540.jpg

The "new" girl character does have auburn hair, just like Anna and Elsa's mother.

I saw that theory: I’m not sure if they really look similar enough, but it could be possible.

In terms of soundtracks I think Frozen, Moana, and Princess and the Frog all have better music than Tangled. The songs in Tangled were lackluster except for “I See the Light”. Princess and the Frog’s soundtrack is very underrated.
I barely remember the songs in Tangled so I’m sure you’re right. I still love the film though.

They could probably match all of the other Disney songs, but I doubt they could have another "Let it Go". How many popular songs by other artists or from other films have even done that?

Well WDAS has never done a sequel but during the height of the Renaissance they had a few. Little Mermaid gave us "Under the Sea" and "Part of Your World" in 1989; two years later Beauty and the Beast proved comparable with "Be Our Guest" and "Beauty and the Beast;" a year later Aladdin had "A Whole New World;" and two years later The Lion King had "Circle of Life," Hakuna Matata," and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?." All but TLK were the same creative musical team. And even though Pocahontas isn't a good movie, "Colors of the Wind" is tremendous and I feel like certainly left a mark on pop culture.

So I do think the same songwriting team as the first Frozen (with a lot of time to try things out) will come up with at least a few songs that stick with people. One that can seep into the pop culture? Who really knows, but Disney used to be able to do it pretty reliably.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think between Frozen, Moana, and Tangled, Frozen easily has the best soundtrack while Tangled has the worst.

I don't even remember the songs from Moana. Tangled has better songs!

Moana's songs (maybe because it's more recent) stuck with me better. "How Far I'll Go" is superb, as is "You're Welcome." Getting the Rock to sing probably is a winner. I also like "Shiny." It's not an iconic song, but it's more fun than "Mother Knows Best" and makes great use of Jermain Clement's voice.

I like Tangled's music, but keep in mind Tangled came out in that awkward stage. It was after Princess and the Frog flopped and Disney was toying with stopping princess movies (pretty hilarious given what came out three years later). So I feel like the songs were a lot "smaller" in Tangled. Alan Menken also seemed slightly bored with the Disney approach, as it was his eighth or ninth Disney movie, so he was trying to do something a little more modern sounding, which I liked... but it is probably his slightest Disney effort as a result.

Yes Idina Menzel is all of Elsa’s voice.

It's interesting I see some folks say Idina Menzel sounds "too old" to be Elsa in this thread, and I wonder if that's just because if you listen to a lot of Broadway you're very familiar with Idina Menzel's voice. I knew her so well from Rent and Wicked when I first saw Frozen in 2013, it took me a few scenes to adjust to her voice coming out of a character who's supposed to be like 20 or however old Elsa is.

But I think for the vast majority of people who don't know who Idina Menzel is, it worked fine. Elsa sounds like Elsa. I'm curious for anyone around here who don't know Idina's other stuff if her voice seemed "off" as Elsa?

Last edited:
Given the criticisms of theoretically whitewashing Kristoff if he was supposed to be Sami, not likely.
I didn't know that was a thing. I just googled Sami and many of them appear to be white. The internet is weird.

I am kind of curious how Kristen Bell will sound in this, as she was pregnant when she recorded the first movie.

It's interesting I see some folks say Idina Menzel sounds "too old" to be Elsa in this thread, and I wonder if that's just because if you listen to a lot of Broadway you're very familiar with Idina Menzel's voice. I knew her so well from Rent and Wicked when I first saw Frozen in 2013, it took me a few scenes to adjust to her voice coming out of a character who's supposed to be like 20 or however old Elsa is.

But I think for the vast majority of people who don't know who Idina Menzel is, it worked fine. Elsa sounds like Elsa. I'm curious for anyone around here who don't know Idina's other stuff if her voice seemed "off" as Elsa?

I didn't listen to a lot of Broadway and I didn't know who Idina Menzel was, but her voice still sounded older and more mature than someone who is 20. I would've expected more of a similar voice to Rapunzel in Tangled. That sort of young girlish voice.

I am kind of curious how Kristen Bell will sound in this, as she was pregnant when she recorded the first movie.

Maybe Kristen won't sound as laboured this time. :o

I didn't listen to a lot of Broadway and I didn't know who Idina Menzel was, but her voice still sounded older and more mature than someone who is 20. I would've expected more of a similar voice to Rapunzel in Tangled. That sort of young girlish voice.

I suppose that's fair, although she isn't supposed to be as girlish as sheltered Rapunzel. That's Anna's beat. Elsa is a queen, not a princess, and has had a very troubled childhood, so she should sound wearier than the others (she also was initially intended to be the antagonist).

With that said, I'm so very glad it is Idina. She's one of the best singing voices of this generation, and her vocals I think play a large part in why so many young girls identified with Elsa, so perfect casting. ;)

I don’t think they wanted two young girlish voices for the sisters. Elsa had to grow up fast and I’m sure they wanted her to sound obviously older than Anna. Idina was perfect, IMO.

That one has to be my least favorite out of the four.

Also, never forget

God I love Tangled!

I don't remember much of the music in Princess and the Frog though I love this... the music + the animation + Keith David = perfection.

I thought Princess and the Frog was just OK, but Dr. Facilier was a great concept for a villain. I thought he was the best part of the whole movie.

That one has to be my least favorite out of the four.

Also, never forget

God I love Tangled!

I do like Tangled and the music, but this is a piece that shows why maybe its music is less celebrated than others. I like the piece, but it's clearly evoking 1960s kind of North California styled folk music with its emphasis on guitar. I believe Alan Menken said something to that effect while discussing the film he wanted to change it up from the traditional Disney melody, which makes sense he's written probably close to a dozen "I Want" songs. And while I like this piece, it's much smaller than what Frozen did, which was emulating, in a way, his earlier work from the '80s and '90s.

Now look at this "I Want" song Frozen did with sweeping strings and high notes, which feel all the warmer given the previous scene with Anna was in winter or fall (she was dressed very warmly) and incredibly depressing for a kid's movie (her parents just died and her sister won't grieve with her).

I'm not really criticizing Tangled. But I see why Frozen just hit the musical sweet spot for people in a much more "epic" way.

Loved Frozen! It's one my go-to Dis movies, along with Tangled, Moana, Brave, Zootopia...

As to Idina's voice from Elsa, I had never heard much from her so I didn't have any preconceived ideas as to where it 'belongs.' So in that way, she sounds just like Elsa!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"