Toy Story 3D Double Feature on October 2nd!

Sam Fisher

Heavy Meddle
Reaction score
Toy Story 3D Double Feature on October 2nd!

Source: The Walt Disney Studios
March 31, 2009

At ShoWest today, Walt Disney Studios announced that they are now releasing the 3D versions of Toy Story and Toy Story 2 together on October 2nd. The double feature will be the first place you'll be able to see the trailer for Toy Story 3 and the only place to see it in 3D!

Also, the 3D version of Beauty and the Beast (of which the studio showed the opening musical number "Belle" in 3D at ShoWest today) is going to be released on February 12, 2010.

Moviegoers are in for twice the fun and triple the thrills as The Walt Disney Studios prepares to debut the Disney Digital 3D(TM) versions of Disney-Pixar's beloved animated features - "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" - during a special limited engagement starting on October 2, 2009, it was announced today by Mark Zoradi, president, Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures Group.

This extraordinary double feature, taking the latest advances in digital 3D technology "to infinity and beyond," will play exclusively in 3D. "Toy Story," the industry's first ever computer-animated feature and the first feature released by Pixar Animation Studios in 1995, and "Toy Story 2," the critically acclaimed sequel that debuted in 1999, were both directed by Academy Award®-winning filmmaker John Lasseter. Both films have been meticulously re-rendered in 3D from the original digital files using the latest state-of-the-art technology.

Commenting on the announcement, Zoradi said, "This fantastic double feature will let moviegoers see two of their all-time favorite films from Pixar Animation Studios in a way that they've never seen them before, and all for the price of one movie ticket. John Lasseter and the animation team have truly created a spectacular 3D experience with Buzz, Woody, and all the toy characters in a whole new eye-popping dimension. We're also excited that audiences will soon see a whole new chapter when Toy Story 3 in 3D, directed by Lee Unkrich (co-director of Toy Story 2) comes to theaters on June 18, 2010."

Lasseter added, "The 'Toy Story' films and characters will always hold a very special place in our hearts and we're so excited to be bringing these first two films back for audiences to enjoy in a whole new way thanks to the latest in 3D technology. Disney Digital 3D offers lots of great new possibilities for the art of animation and we will continue to use this new technology to push the boundaries in telling our stories. With 'Toy Story 3' shaping up to be another great adventure for Buzz, Woody and the gang from Andy's room, we thought this would be the perfect way to let audiences experience the first two films all over again. To see the movies back to back will be an amazing treat as well. This is certainly nostalgic for me and reminiscent of my youth when double features were the norm."

Originally released by Walt Disney Pictures in 1995, "Toy Story" went on to receive Oscar® nominations for Original Screenplay, Original Score, and Original Song earning Lasseter a Special Achievement Award "for his inspired leadership of the Pixar 'Toy Story' Team, resulting in the first feature-length computer-animated film." 'Toy Story 2' was released in 1999, and reunited voice talents Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, in their roles as Woody and Buzz. The film became one of the most popular animated features of all time, and received an Academy Award® nomination for Original Song.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=54115

why not?
its not like it make the video look worse. you are just no used to watch movies the same like the real world. not yet.

I am excited they are bringing back these movies to the theater! It will gear me up for TS3's release next summer. These are the ORIGINAL Pixar films...where all the magic began!

Here are some pretty entertaining TV Spots I saw over the weekend. I dug around and found them online! Enjoy! This one is my favorite!

The opening sequence of Toy Story 2 was shown in 3D at the D23 convention. It was alright. Also they made a new trailer and a new introduction in 3D as well. Those were fun.

Lasseter said it was natural to release the movies in 3D since they were originally rendered in 3D as well.

I loved the first one, liked the second one....it will be interesting to see the two movies in 3D.

The opening sequence of Toy Story 2 was shown in 3D at the D23 convention. It was alright. Also they made a new trailer and a new introduction in 3D as well. Those were fun.

Lasseter said it was natural to release the movies in 3D since they were originally rendered in 3D as well.

I know during the intermission between Toy Story and Toy Story 2 they will be showing some special footage and I am hoping that is from Toy Story 3! I loved the teaser trailer, so it will be great to see more of that!

I loved the first one, liked the second one....it will be interesting to see the two movies in 3D.

I agree! I am excited about the films getting enhanced and shown in 3D. These movies are perfect for that sort of thing!

What's the schedule for this? Are the movies getting shown back-to-back every day, or since it's a two week engagement, are the theaters showing the first this weekend and the second next weekend and you only need one ticket for the whole thing?

What's the schedule for this? Are the movies getting shown back-to-back every day, or since it's a two week engagement, are the theaters showing the first this weekend and the second next weekend and you only need one ticket for the whole thing?
i think they are screened together with a break in the middle.

2 hours driving? i have some friend who live on the farm and they dont even have a theater. what can you do.

The films are shown back to back with an intermission in between. You pay the price of one movie ticket and get to see both for that one price. The 2 week engagement means the "double feature" will only be shown in the theaters for 2 weeks.

According to this review:
"The double feature also includes a ten minute intermission, featuring new animation, trivia, and footage from both films. The intermission entertainment is just enough fun that you (and your kids) won’t want to leave the theater to grab food or hit the rest rooms."

2 hours driving? i have some friend who live on the farm and they dont even have a theater. what can you do.
I don't drive{unless you want to see me go up in a firey explosion as I crash:hehe:}

While my opinion still stands that the first film is far more superior than the second one, it was great seeing both films on the big screen again. And the trailer for Toy Story 3 left a warm, happy feeling inside me; almost like a warm goodbye to a close friend.
And the trivia and animations during the intermission were a lot of fun as well. I highly recommend this to any fan of the series.

has the toy story 3 promo/trailer gone online yet that was shown with the 3D double feature?

I's guessing it must be different for the American re-release but in my cinema here in the UK they have only re-released Toy Story 1 so far (I'm guessing 2 will follow at a later date)

I mentioned this in another thread, that, while it was great seeing Toy Story on the big screen again, I don't think it was worth paying the extra price to see it in 3D. My first experience with 3D was Harry Potter Half Blood Prince which also had the Xmas Carol trailer and this was at IMAX, so it felt totally immersive.. Compared with that, Toy Story was only 3D'd to basic levels IMO.. A normal viewing would have been fantastic enough in itself, without goin the arguably gimmicky route of 3Ding it.

I didn't really like the 3D at all. Of course this is not the films fault. It was made for 3D.

not true. they were made in 3D space. but they were not created for 3D theaters. they just added a second camera to the first camera. and so now they had the stereoscopic 3D.

i think some people expected objects flying in the screen. but this is not how pixar works. they are making movies because of the story

Saw this last night with the gf, thought the 3D was great. Honestly, I enjoyed this experience more than the Avatar clip.

I's guessing it must be different for the American re-release but in my cinema here in the UK they have only re-released Toy Story 1 so far (I'm guessing 2 will follow at a later date)

I mentioned this in another thread, that, while it was great seeing Toy Story on the big screen again, I don't think it was worth paying the extra price to see it in 3D. My first experience with 3D was Harry Potter Half Blood Prince which also had the Xmas Carol trailer and this was at IMAX, so it felt totally immersive.. Compared with that, Toy Story was only 3D'd to basic levels IMO.. A normal viewing would have been fantastic enough in itself, without goin the arguably gimmicky route of 3Ding it.

Considering you are getting to watch 2 movies for 1 ticket price makes it worth it to me, even if you have to pay a couple extra bucks for the 3D. I also loved both movies, so I happily paid to see them again.

I really wanted to see this, but seeing 2 movies back to back takes quite a large chunk of the day. Stupid homework. Maybe next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"