Frozen 2

How do we know Elsa is a lesbian? Why does she need any love interest in the movie anyway?

Her story in the first one is one that is quite easily applicable to one of someone coming out.

How do we know Elsa is a lesbian? Why does she need any love interest in the movie anyway?

My thoughts exactly. They always could give her a romantic relationship with another girl, lord knows parents would find that controversial in a Disney film and the reactions would be hilarious, but then again, why not keep her as single?

Do we really need another romantic subplot like in the first one?

Her story in the first one is one that is quite easily applicable to one of someone coming out.

My thoughts exactly. They always could give her a romantic relationship with another girl, lord knows parents would find that controversial in a Disney film and the reactions would be hilarious, but then again, why not keep her as single?

Do we really need another romantic subplot like in the first one?
Disney has a history of throwing romantic male/female partners together so including a lesbian couple would not be that far out of the ballpark for them. The only difference this would make is it shows them being progressive and inclusive instead of pretending gay people don't exist (the recent live action Beauty and the Beast notwithstanding).

I think giving her a lesbian love interest would shift the entire story to focus on that plot and could overshadow any other story.

If she had been a lesbian already in the first film and it was just something matter of fact that had always been the case, then they wouldn't have to focus on it at all. She would just be a snow queen who happens to be lesbian, a bit like how Thunder is in Black Lightning.

But Elsa has been sheltered all her life and shut away from everyone else. So she's never had any kind of love interest or relationship whatsoever. That means you can't just drop that in there without giving it attention. Frozen 2 will become Elsa's coming out movie. And because of that, it will overshadow everything else and the romantic plot will become the main story.

If they want a lesbian character, it's better to do that from the start with a different character who won't need to come out but is already that way (again, like Thunder in Black Lightning).

Except, of course, it would be a continuation of Elsa's story from the first movie. It's more than just a romance. It's coming to terms with who you are, and who you are attracted to. It is why so many people identify with Elsa as gay. The first movie is pretty much a metaphor on what a lot of gay people go through.

Exactly. There is no reason to try creating a new character that is a lesbian from the get go when Elsa has absolutely nothing in her history to suggest anything at all and it does not have to focus on her being a lesbian any more than if the love interest were male. Her slate is clear and whatever the sequel entails does not require having to go to any lengths to make her stand out.

She isn't going to be gay, no matter what the creative wants to do. Disney doesn't have the guts. We have seen them literally cut scenes to avoid it. But the idea that her being a lesbian would overshadow the rest of the story from a storytelling perspective is an outright fallacy, that only comes with the idea that being gay is taboo and somehow a message we can't tell children is natural. Anna had two romantic love interest in the first movie. Did that overshadow the plot? Of course not.

So Disney isn't going to do it. But considering Elsa in the first film, it would feel rather natural (why it has come up so often), and it is definitely what I would prefer. It would add a nice potential element that we haven't seen countless times already in Disney animated films, including the first Frozen.

Last edited:
I mean, I know Idina Menzel is all up for it, so we'll have to see what happens.

I think giving her a lesbian love interest would shift the entire story to focus on that plot and could overshadow any other story.

If she had been a lesbian already in the first film and it was just something matter of fact that had always been the case, then they wouldn't have to focus on it at all. She would just be a snow queen who happens to be lesbian, a bit like how Thunder is in Black Lightning.

But Elsa has been sheltered all her life and shut away from everyone else. So she's never had any kind of love interest or relationship whatsoever. That means you can't just drop that in there without giving it attention. Frozen 2 will become Elsa's coming out movie. And because of that, it will overshadow everything else and the romantic plot will become the main story.

If they want a lesbian character, it's better to do that from the start with a different character who won't need to come out but is already that way (again, like Thunder in Black Lightning).

Any subplot can overshadow a main plot if it's badly written. Movies regularly have romantic subplots, Disney movies have romance plots constantly. You can't drop any romantic plotline into a movie without giving it any attention. The first film had a romantic subplot that didn't dominate the main plot, so I fail to see why the gender of the love interest would require it to take over the plot. I don't think anyone here is saying they should make a sequel where that's the main plot of the sequel. Not that Disney's going to do it anyway, so it's all hypothetical, but nonetheless.

Okay so take this with a huge, huge grain of salt, but...

Skyler Shuler @Skylerhxc
So @DanielRPK and I are hearing a rumor regarding a certain character in a certain movie could be coming true. (snowflake & rainbow flag emoji)*
Daniel R @DanielRPK
Frozen 2 will make over a Billion worldwide even if some countries ban it.

*What? I'm too lazy to post a screenshot, okay? :o

Is he talking about Frozen or just a character in a certain movie that could be anyone in any film? Maybe Kirk's dad in Star Trek will come back. That's a rumour about a certain character in a certain movie. :o

This would be huge, but yeah, not buying it.

Okay, but consider this: asexual Elsa.

No one dislikes asexuals (most people don't even know they exist), and they're part of the LGBT+ community. Plus it would be consistent with what was shown in the first movie... technically.

You heard it here first, people.

It is so vague and general that it could refer to anything.

Okay, but consider this: asexual Elsa.

No one dislikes asexuals (most people don't even know they exist), and they're part of the LGBT+ community. Plus it would be consistent with what was shown in the first movie... technically.

You heard it here first, people.

Most Disney characters are asexual anyway. Take your pick out of most of the sidekicks...Genie, Sebastian, Timon and Pumbaa (no matter what Tumblr may think about those two), even some main characters like Moana or the two leads in Zootopia. Hell, you could consider Elsa asexual already as of right now since she didn't have any love interest in the first one.

Not having a romantic plot is not the same as asexual.

Not having a romantic plot is not the same as asexual.

If it goes unmentioned, it might as well be the same. But I do think having Elsa be a lesbian or bi would be more interesting than her simply being asexual.

I'm not seeing how you would even broach the subject of asexuality in a Disney movie. The most you could do is have Elsa express a lack of interest in romance, which isn't the same.

Eh, still think it's way too early for a teaser release.

Not for this movie. Even if it’s just a title tease and a stinger at the end.

Disney wants to own the November opening weekend record for Frozen 2, hence the move to Friday, November 22. I think they really want it to beat or match Incredibles 2's $182 million opening weekend.

I think the earliest peek of Frozen 2 will likely be on Dumbo, Aladdin, or Toy Story 4.

It's because one of the post-credits scenes is a Frozen 2 teaser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"