Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman or Brie Larson as Captain Marvel ?

I just think that one of the most beautiful women on Earth who looks absolutely amazing in ANY costume, also happens to be a very, very bad actress. I do LIKE her though...because she seems to genuinely love being Wonder Woman.

Ha ! I feel the same way about Jessica Alba. :D

The "reception" is currently unfolding, and it's not looking that great.

That you're posting a positive critic score together with one critic's bad tweet it seems a bit dishonest. To post the audience score when it's just a measly 4k people is just confirming my point that we don't know yet. Or well, it's actually worse than that as RT has deleted tons of votes because the CM user reviews are being spammed so nothing is trustworthy there. CM at one point had more reviews in less than a day than Infinity War had in its entire run. But if you care about spam reviews, be my guest.

The only true number to show the popularity of a movie is the Box Office. No one can lie there, and it includes every single movie goer, not just a handful that's registered on site.

And Gal will be back next year facing off against her greatest rival, the only big name female vs female rivalry there is comics. My money's on Gal. If Patty goes all Joker level with Cheetah, look out. :)

I get that your money is on Gal, as you've shown that you're even willing to ignore the huge flashing feminist signs in WW to defend it, as shown previously in the thread. After Endgame the comparison will be almost equal, as Gal will have had one solo film and two team ups, and Brie will have had one solo and one team up. What happens in the long run, with how many movies they will get, is hard to say.

If Cheetah goes all Joker level it's just even more of a risk of Gal being overshadowed. Heath overshadowed Bale in TDK and, unlike Gal, Bale is a fantastic actor. Hopefully she'll not just stand there and over-emote while the other character speaks.

Gal Gadot by far, and i really did enjoy Brie in CM. However, for me, CM is an average MCU film that follows a formula that felt a bit lazy tbh. Wonder Woman was much more impactful, both in terms of its story and its leading star. I felt more sympathetic towards Gals Wonder Woman than i did for Brie in CM.

That you're posting a positive critic score together with one critic's bad tweet it seems a bit dishonest. To post the audience score when it's just a measly 4k people is just confirming my point that we don't know yet. Or well, it's actually worse than that as RT has deleted tons of votes because the CM user reviews are being spammed so nothing is trustworthy there. CM at one point had more reviews in less than a day than Infinity War had in its entire run. But if you care about spam reviews, be my guest.

The only true number to show the popularity of a movie is the Box Office. No one can lie there, and it includes every single movie goer, not just a handful that's registered on site.

No, that graphic is part of the tweet. I didn't add that.

The tweet was from a arch conservative writer for The Federalist. Folks going to "brave" Ms. Bufkin for unbiased film reviews are looking in the wrong place.

Posting a trolled audience score to prove a point that no one likes the film and weak female critics are to afraid to say so. That's the biggest joke of the year!

I like Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman more. But Brie Larson is fine as a superHERo as well. Both of them were fierce in the movies whetHER if I prefer the other one. I hope these films will usHER more female comic book/superHERo films aside from WW trilogy, CM trilogy and Black Widow.

I didn't like Captain Marvel, but bringing up its audience score is ridiculous. Alita has a score of 94% (much higher than Black Panther or Aquaman), yet that movie is flopping hard in North America.

That's because the audience score on RT is as meaningless as life.

EDIT: speaking of scores, Captain Marvel got an A Cinemascore. Please do try to argue that RT user score > Cinemascore now.

The RT audience score is the best place to get the verdict of the bots. I know I’m always interested in what they have to say and they usually align with my preferences, so I am looking forward to when they have made their final decision.

Posting a trolled audience score to prove a point that no one likes the film and weak female critics are to afraid to say so. That's the biggest joke of the year!

Again, I was posting a random review tweet. That RT graphic was part of it. And it's not like it wasn't all over the place, anyway. Get over it.

I like Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman more. But Brie Larson is fine as a superHERo as well. Both of them were fierce in the movies whetHER if I prefer the other one. I hope these films will usHER more female comic book/superHERo films aside from WW trilogy, CM trilogy and Black Widow.

I see what you tHERe! :yay:

The audience score can easily be manipulated by anyone who has a lot of free time in their hands.

I can't imagine anyone cares that much. It went up to 52% and it's back down to 39%. EDIT: Now it's got 3X as many ratings and it's back up to 52%. RT is obviously playing around.

Does this kind of stuff only matter when it's a DC film?

Last edited:
Larson may be the better actress overall but I don't know if she's the better fit for her role than Gadot is for Wonder Woman. Granted, Gal Gadot is the weaker actress working with stronger material while Larson is the stronger actor working with weaker material but I feel Gadot felt like a better fit for her role even if she isn't admittedly a great actress. I like the inspired casting of an Israeli who has a such a distinctive and unique accent which is totally out-of-the-box casting that I like. Gadot exudes this nice cheery charm which I think is a good fit for the role and I think she shines in WW's in more heartfelt scenes. Of course part of that is much better actors like Chris Pine and Robin Wright elevating Gadot but even then she brings such charm and warmth to the role which is just natural to her which it simply isn't with Larson, sorry to say.

its kind of like how Arnold Swartznagger isn't the best actor in the world but he's such a good fit for Terminator you don't care.

Larson by comparison is colder and more guarded and doesn't seem comfortable in her skin while comic Carol as I understand it is cocky and sassy and nothing in Larson's acting resume made me think she'd be a good fit. Sad to say, I felt Larson failed to embody those traits and she just came across as awkward while delivering some of the more sassy lines rather than convincing. So I'm surprised to see some here say that Larson's performance better. To me, she's was way more wooden than Gadot at points to the point it was kind of cringe-worthy. Its subjective of course but I just never bought her in this role. And when she was trying to be commanding it fell completely flat for me. She just couldn't sell it and my buddies and I even chuckled at her delivery at points in theater. I think another Oscar-winning actress like Charlize Theron would've crushed it as Carol since she can pull off the tough, badass character just look at Furiosa in Mad Max Fury Road. Larson came across as very forced and unnatural. I'm willing to give Larson another shot to win me over with Endgame and the inevitable sequels but so far I'm underwhelmed.

Larson was obviously miscast but some people will never admit it.

TBH the only opinions I'm really interested in are a few select critics and the people on this forum.

Also, the RT score isn't necessarily reflective of BL's performance, as good actors have put in strong performances in poorly received films.

As such, there's not much point getting too wrapped up in the RT issue - although that would be a good talking point on a thread about RT itself ( and it's vulnerability to trolling).

In the meantime, I'm off to see CM in a few hours. I'm very interested as to whether BL manages to make Carol a sympathetic character.

In WW Diana, as well as being a super warrior, has a very gentle and almost innocent demeanour - although she doesn't take any **** from anyone.
Carol, I imagine would be a bit less so - being a 90s girl and an air force pilot ( then reborn as a free super soldier)
I'm looking forward to seeing how they've characterised her.

Larson may be the better actress overall but I don't know if she's the better fit for her role than Gadot is for Wonder Woman. Granted, Gal Gadot is the weaker actress working with stronger material while Larson is the stronger actor working with weaker material but I feel Gadot felt like a better fit for her role even if she isn't admittedly a great actress. I like the inspired casting of an Israeli who has a such a distinctive and unique accent which is totally out-of-the-box casting that I like. Gadot exudes this nice cheery charm which I think is a good fit for the role and I think she shines in WW's in more heartfelt scenes. Of course part of that is much better actors like Chris Pine and Robin Wright elevating Gadot but even then she brings such charm and warmth to the role which is just natural to her which it simply isn't with Larson, sorry to say.

its kind of like how Arnold Swartznagger isn't the best actor in the world but he's such a good fit for Terminator you don't care.

Larson by comparison is colder and more guarded and doesn't seem comfortable in her skin while comic Carol as I understand it is cocky and sassy and nothing in Larson's acting resume made me think she'd be a good fit. Sad to say, I felt Larson failed to embody those traits and she just came across as awkward while delivering some of the more sassy lines rather than convincing. So I'm surprised to see some here say that Larson's performance better. To me, she's was way more wooden than Gadot at points to the point it was kind of cringe-worthy. Its subjective of course but I just never bought her in this role. And when she was trying to be commanding it fell completely flat for me. She just couldn't sell it and my buddies and I even chuckled at her delivery at points in theater. I think another Oscar-winning actress like Charlize Theron would've crushed it as Carol since she can pull off the tough, badass character just look at Furiosa in Mad Max Fury Road. Larson came across as very forced and unnatural. I'm willing to give Larson another shot to win me over with Endgame and the inevitable sequels but so far I'm underwhelmed.

Thanks for getting us back on track ! :wowe:

Larson was obviously miscast but some people will never admit it.
Personally, I’m willing to wait and see how she does in Endgame being directed and written by different writers & directors before I can make that judgement. It’s a shame since she’s a fine actress but what I’ve seen in the movie she really didn’t seem comfortable in the role. but maybe she’ll get better in the sequels and grow into the role. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I can't imagine anyone cares that much. It went up to 52% and it's back down to 39%. EDIT: Now it's got 3X as many ratings and it's back up to 52%. RT is obviously playing around.

Does this kind of stuff only matter when it's a DC film?

Then your imagination is lacking. I've entertained myself by reading some comments on videos from channels that put up multiple "Brie Larson hates white men" type of videos per day and they are very enthusiastic about their hate. A few examples of what they are doing are trying to organize to down-vote CM, to actively convince people they know not to see it, and also to make people go out to see Alita: Battle Angel instead to have an argument that the movement isn't misogynist.

It's all pretty funny in a sad way.

Edit: Crap, I mistook the thread for the Superhero Cinematic Civil War one. Sorry for the continued derail.

Then your imagination is lacking. I've entertained myself by reading some comments on videos from channels that put up multiple "Brie Larson hates white men" type of videos per day and they are very enthusiastic about their hate. A few examples of what they are doing are trying to organize to down-vote CM, to actively convince people they know not to see it, and also to make people go out to see Alita: Battle Angel instead to have an argument that the movement isn't misogynist.

Sounds like you've time to kill. My imagination isn't "lacking." You'll just have to trust me. :word:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"