Sci-Fi Gareth Edwards's Jurassic World Sequel

What did Godzilla do to you? 😭

The human characters in the Monsterverse films are always little more than caricatures anyway-- pretty much in line with Snyder's capabilities. Cool soldiers doing cool stuff to take down cool looking monsters.

If Snyder directed Godzilla '14 the action scenes would have been more prioritized but Superman still would have been mopey and morose in an Edwards-directed Man of Steel. Probably. :o

Lol maybe. But I have more faith in him understanding the Superman character (even a "realistic" take) more than Snyder ever could or wanted to.

I think they totally could and should. People didn't hate the Spinosaurus itself as much as they hated it being a replacement for the T-Rex. I didn't see anything wrong with them introducing a new big carnivore in the franchise but replacing the T-Rex in the logo for JP III was a mistake, for starters. But I'd still take the Spinosaurus over any of the new dinosaurs introduced in the World movies.

I love me some Rexy and Blue, but the thing is you can have them there and the Spinosaurus as well. I would really love it to come back.

My theory of why the Spinosaurus chased them around the island in JPIII is that it got the scent and taste of human blood and liked it so wanted more.

I also feel like any Jurassic Park fan theories I've seen are centered around JPIII because there isn't enough happening in that movie. It's the most barebones out of all of them.
I've always had a soft spot for JP3. I think part of it is that as a kid I loved Jurassic Park and watched it endlessly because we had it on VHS recorded from the TV (my dad or mom helped me) so I saw it all the time. The Lost World comes out on rental and I still remember that night as a kid when my mom tells me they rented the new JP movie and we watch it together. JP3 is a movie I did not even know was in the making because this was before I was hanging around the internet and back then movies would just show up. I saw the JP3 vhs in the store one day and I had money to buy 2 movies and I ended up buying that one and one more movie (I forget). So JP3 ended up kinda heavily in my rotation because money didn't come by as easily as a kid and buying a movie felt like an investment.

Is JP3 great? Not really. I do agree it's the most barebones and it's crazy to think it's only about 90 minutes considering today these movies are usually 150 minutes if not longer. I think they could have done with 10 minutes more of just fleshing out certain things. I was always so intrigued by the talk of the Spinosaur not being on Ingen's list, that facility they go to (where they come across the raptors) and I guess I just wanted a bit more of that. I also think there was a big missed opportunity with them going back to Isla Sorna (and not Nublar) because aside from the one joke where Grant says he actually hasn't been on that island before, they could have done more! There could have been some tie to The Lost World. The island also 'feels' quite different between TLW and JP3 and while fan theories explain that as them taking place on different parts of the same island, I think it would have been cool to have a bit more of a connection there.

Yeah, I’m of two minds on that. I remember when The Lost World came out I was a bit disappointed that the island didn’t feel or look like the one in Jurassic Park (TLW being shot in California).

And with that, I was happy that the island in JP3 felt more like JP1 (filming in Hawaii).

But now I like how different and lived-in TLW feels. Also the forests feel more like where dinosaurs actually roamed.

I kinda miss Sorna by now. All of the mysterious buildings in disrepair were so interesting to me as a kid. I loved the glimpses of it in TLW and JP3. The big bird cage in particular was great. One of the more iconic moments in the series. Completely different between films, true, but I guess they were on different parts of the island so it's fine.

I kinda miss Sorna by now. All of the mysterious buildings in disrepair were so interesting to me as a kid. I loved the glimpses of it in TLW and JP3. The big bird cage in particular was great. One of the more iconic moments in the series. Completely different between films, true, but I guess they were on different parts of the island so it's fine.

Same, I always loved the island in The Lost World. There's something very attracting (and very 90s to me) to that desolate island and all of its abandonned labs, etc.
It also looked less tropical and, as a kid, I loved playing chase or escape from dinosaurs, outside on rainy and muddy days, because it was easy to feel like I was in that world. :whoops:

On topic, I'm not really a gamer (well not at all...) but I always thought that the feel of Isla Sorna could have been the perfect thing for a survival type of video game.
Something like the first two Resident Evil. I know Dino Crisis exists but... it's not the same.

Last edited:
Isla Nublar is classic for many reasons but I also like Isla Sorna a lot, possibly more (if that's controversial). It does feel more dangerous and mysterious with the free roaming dinosaurs and the run down buildings spread out. In retrospect it's funny because the sequel trope of "It happened again?!" is quite funny in the perspective of there being a second dinosaur island all of a sudden but I like the idea behind it so I don't mind.

As the years have gone on, I've just loved The Lost World more and more. No it's not on the level of the first film, but there's still a lot of magic there. You got Spielberg, Williams, Goldblum, and Attenborough. The San Deigo sequence is stil one of my favorite movie moments too!

How a movie looks and feels, the atmosphere of it all, are important things for me personally. Gareth Edwards has a good eye for atmosphere so I'm very happy in that regard.

As the years have gone on, I've just loved The Lost World more and more. No it's not on the level of the first film, but there's still a lot of magic there. You got Spielberg, Williams, Goldblum, and Attenborough. The San Deigo sequence is stil one of my favorite movie moments too!
I like TLW a lot but for me the San Diego part is the stuff I don't like. But it seems very "love it or hate it" in general. I do think TLW has one of the biggest plot holes in any major movie with how the crew on the ship are all dead and the boat just happens to be on the right course and crash into the docks with them later releasing the T-Rex. I know there were ideas or even missing scenes of the boat being attacked as it left the island but none of it made it into the film and it's so bizarre watching it now because there really is no explanation for it. I'm curious about the reactions of people seeing it when it came out and how they felt.

Since they are filming in the UK again I wonder if they will film on the Jurassic Coast again as a location like in the previous movie?

She was only 9 years old when the first one came out. Assuming she saw it then, I can see it making a lasting impression

For all intents and purposes, Jurassic Park was Star Wars for '90s kids. I don't mean that in the literal sense as The Phantom Menace came out in '99 but in terms of it being a huge blockbuster with no shortage of merchandise that kids watched over and over and over again ad nauseam.

For all intents and purposes, Jurassic Park was Star Wars for '90s kids. I don't mean that in the literal sense as The Phantom Menace came out in '99 but in terms of it being a huge blockbuster with no shortage of merchandise that kids watched over and over and over again ad nauseam.

Absolutely.
This film, Burton's two Batman flicks and Batman TAS are pretty much written into my DNA.
I mean, we're 30 years later and I'm typing this very post from a workshop decorated with dinosaur figurines and various Batman TAS goodies, so...

The Jurassic Park and Lost World toy lines were god-tier. I miss my boy.

redrex_front.jpg

redrex_front.jpg

I never had a big T-Rex but I always wanted one. An updated version of this lad has actually returned to shelves last year. It was tempting ha.

redrex_front.jpg
I never had this growing up, I only had the littler guy:

1719333303060.png

But later on I had the Bull from the Lost World toy line:

1719333451366.png

I never had this growing up, I only had the littler guy:

View attachment 94684

But later on I had the Bull from the Lost World toy line:

View attachment 94685

I had the juvenile Rex until my family went to the mall for Christmas shopping and I saw the big boi and told my parents that my life depended on having it.

For Lost World, my brother got the Bull Rex and I got the Thrasher.

maxresdefault.jpg

Those toys were nuts. They even made the Trailers from TLW. So many things I wanted as a kid :weeping:

Those toys were nuts. They even made the Trailers from TLW. So many things I wanted as a kid :weeping:
They went all out for TLW, I'm pretty sure most of the human characters got their own action figures and every dinosaur seen on screen got a toy except for the sauropods.

Jurassic Park in general has kind of usurped Star Wars in the toy aisles now. Even though kids generally aren't as interested in toys as they used to be, the JP section is always popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papapasmurfsmur
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"