General Election 2020: Biden vs Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....he thinks that’s a good argument?
The GOP ran a pretty successful PR blitz to frame the rising economy under Obama was "fake numbers" and then suddenly became a miraculous overnight recovery the day Trump took office. Even a lot of laypeople outside of the Trumpist circle have been swayed by that campaign.

There's nothing wrong with a VP Warren. But she's a few years younger than Joe.

We need someone younger who people can get used to as VP (and succeed Biden after 2024).

I’m cool with Warren, and realistically she’s probably the best case scenario for progressives such as myself. Good for Biden if he’s actually considering it because I was pretty much assuming he’d go with someone like Klobucher who would do literally nothing to excite me to vote for him.

There's nothing wrong with a VP Warren. But she's a few years younger than Joe.

We need someone younger who people can get used to as VP (and succeed Biden after 2024).

After what we’ve been through the last three and a half years, age isn’t my issue, nor is race, etc. Warren is very energetic and sharp. I just want someone who will rebuild alliances and bring some level of sanity back.
Make America Somewhat Sane Again. I would be all in on Warren in 2024.

I wish they wouldn't tease like this. I would love Warren as VP... would have been cool with her as president.

Warren is so exciting to me as VP which probably means that it won’t happen.

Roanoke College Poll: Opinions of Virginians on politics in May 2020 | Roanoke College

Former Vice President Joe Biden leads President Donald Trump by 12 percentage points (51%-39%) in Virginia according to The Roanoke College Poll. Each is viewed favorably by 36 percent of respondents, but Trump is viewed unfavorably by 49 percent while Biden’s unfavorable rating is 39 percent. U.S. Senator Mark Warner leads his undetermined Republican opponent (48%-31%). Warner’s favorable/unfavorable numbers stand at 37%/21%. The Institute for Policy and Opinion Research interviewed 563 potential Virginia voters* between May 3 and May 17 and has a margin of error of +4.1 percent. In what was then a hypothetical matchup, Biden led Trump 48%-40% in February. More than nine of 10 (91%) said they care a great deal who wins the presidential election in November, and 94 percent said it was very likely they would vote.

More than 90 percent of Democrats and Democratic leaners said they would vote for Biden, while just under 90 percent of Republicans and their leaners said they would vote for Trump. Only 2 percent in each party said they would cross over to vote for the other party’s candidate. Only 2 percent said they were unsure about their vote, while 8 percent said they would vote for another candidate.

Civics - Daily Kos - Georgia survey (May 2020) (Biden +1)

Virginia (2016): Clinton +5
Arizona (2016): Trump +4
Florida (2016): Trump +1
Georgia (2016): Trump +5
Source: 2016 Presidential General Election Results

Last edited:
For those who think Biden will be a 'corporatist' Democratic president...

Joe Biden Is Pivoting to the Left. What? Why?

The fact that he's got AOC and Jayapal on a potential climate committee shows that he's going to make sure Sanders supporters' votes are warranted.
Before this virus crisis, an establishment shill is exactly what he was positioning himself as. I wish it hadn't taken COVID-19 to sway him to ideas the left has had right for decades, but I'll take it.

And you should think of them less as "Sander's supporters" and start thinking of them as "leftists", of whom Bernie just happened to be their favored candidate. Let's set aside the small minority of cult of personality Berners and remember that much of his support was driven by actual ideology.

Now this is coming from a center-right columnist, but she thinks as many as nine GOP Senate seats could flip.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/19/just-how-big-could-map-get-democrats/

If that happens, Democrats will not only have recaptured the Senate and WH, but almost a filibuster proof Senate majority.
You need 60 for that, and one Democratic seat is definitely going to the GOP (Alabama). Even with the Independents, that's only 56, far more likely 55. That's kind of best case scenario unless something big happens.

Last edited:
For those who think Biden will be a 'corporatist' Democratic president...

Joe Biden Is Pivoting to the Left. What? Why?

The fact that he's got AOC and Jayapal on a potential climate committee shows that he's going to make sure Sanders supporters' votes are warranted.

I didn't read the article you posted, but here's my take on this. Joe Biden is a pragmatist. In the primaries, he thought his best shot was to be a counterpoint to Sanders/Warren. At this point in time, he thinks his best shot is outreach to the left wing of the democratic party. I think Biden's "ideology" (if you can call it that) is driven by what can be accomplished and what will get him in the position to drive those accomplishments.

Remember, Biden came out (so to speak) supporting gays in the military before the president (I always rather thought he was floating a trial balloon, but maybe not). He's pro-choice and Catholic (and taken blow back from the church). He clearly wants to expand health care, but will only take that and run with it to the extent he doesn't get out in front of public opinion.

He's a careful, pragmatic politician. It's not a slam. It's who he is and compared to what we have in the White House right now, I'll take him without blinking.

Now this is coming from a center-right columnist, but she thinks as many as nine GOP Senate seats could flip.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/19/just-how-big-could-map-get-democrats/

If that happens, Democrats will not only have recaptured the Senate and WH, but almost a filibuster proof Senate majority.

I can't read the article, but caught that it's by Jennifer Rubin....yeah, she's far from a flaming leftist. She's a conservative (just doesn't happen to be the new religious bigot conservative) columnist who despises what Trump has wrought on the republican party.

Did the list include McConnell losing?

This is how he is going to contest election results if mail in votes cost him the election. He will sue to not count any votes received after Election Day even if they are postmarked before. The fact he already says they are “illegal” tells you a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"