General Gaming News

No. This is essentially the beginning of the crash AAA gaming has been looking at for some time.
Yep, even some studios putting out games that are succeeding are facing layoffs. Terrible time for devs and it could make it hard to bounce back into a new job after getting laid off when it’s so widespread.

I take it.
I would have preferred a Strike over the abuse etc in Ubisoft, but as long as they trouble Ubisoft...im all for it.

No, not everyone needs to go through layoffs...just the greedy companies.
There is no direction from where Embracer doesnt look like the worst.
They can not make any argument here that makes what they do/did any less worse.

I mean, a crash was coming. I don't see how anyone didn't see it coming.

Yeah, just sucks that it's the workers getting the shaft as always.

A Crash is bound to happen, the suits have reached a level of greed that is bound to break the donkeys back.
The costs of games and consoles, the still rising development costs etc...it reaches a level where you just milked the people too much.
Sure the suits who cause this will not care, they have their Golden Parachutes ready.
As usual this will hit first and foremost the workers in the industry, then it will hit us...and that sucks.

I guess this Voltron or Megazord of studios is starting to come apart, besides the obvious layoffs and downsizing.

I guess this Voltron or Megazord of studios is starting to come apart, besides the obvious layoffs and downsizing.

Could be even more studios escaping Embracer:

Could be even more studios escaping Embracer:

At this point where the industry is, the best thing a studio can do if they are able...is going solo.
The appeal of working for a big studio is at this point, gone.

Sure, most of the indie studios and smaller studios dont survive or dont make that much money...but the alternative is?
Grinding yourself to dust for a big company that is full of awful higher ups that take the big slice of the cake, hinder creativity and then fire people while making record profit?

I dont know.
I just feel sorry for all these developers who just want to make games and stuff.
It sucks seeing how creative people are destroyed and then thrown away when these people should be the ones who run this industry and get the cake.

At this point where the industry is, the best thing a studio can do if they are able...is going solo.
The appeal of working for a big studio is at this point, gone.

Sure, most of the indie studios and smaller studios dont survive or dont make that much money...but the alternative is?
Grinding yourself to dust for a big company that is full of awful higher ups that take the big slice of the cake, hinder creativity and then fire people while making record profit?

I dont know.
I just feel sorry for all these developers who just want to make games and stuff.
It sucks seeing how creative people are destroyed and then thrown away when these people should be the ones who run this industry and get the cake.
It’s a shame gaming devs can’t work somewhere with long term financial/job security, the freedom to be creative and with leadership that understands the industry and how to set the best conditions for gaming devs (that will lead to better performance anyway).

What’s driving the flood of layoffs in the video game industry?

Blame the rapidly escalating cost of game development and a spike in interest rates.​

Higher development costs (time to create and release, inflation, wages, interest rates) + decline from early pandemic home entertainment boom period

Additionally I’d say economies (outside the U.S.) are either in economic recession or are teetering on one and these companies sell their goods globally so they have to recalibrate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"