Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

Joining in the ranking game.

1) Godzilla King of the Monsters: if you're a Heisei era fan then this film speaks volumes more than if you're not.

2) Godzilla 2014: For a bit I had this really high on my Godzilla film lists but it's gone down a little now that the MV films really embraced the monster fights and Toho is essentially accomplishing what Gareth Edwards was trying to, but better. That said, it's still a beautiful film and I still greatly enjoy the tone.

3) Godzilla vs Kong. I got what I wanted which was a nearly 2 hours of Kong getting absolutely decimated. And bonus it was a fun movie. The greatest credit you can give to Wingard is he managed to make a lopsided fight still entertaining.

4) Kong Skull Island. Still a fun movie, but I'm just not a Kong guy.

If I could've cheated, I would've put Monarch Season 1 at number 2. Best American ensemble and a very strong story that fits the tone of 2014. Great kaiju series.

Mine is:

Godzilla 2014
Kong Skull Island
King of the Monsters
Godzilla v Kong

While this goes against the majority of lists here, there isn't really anything to pick between these film. They've all been excellent entries in the Monsterverse.

Godzilla 2014
Kong: Skull Island
Godzilla vs Kong
Godzilla: King of The Monsters

This wasn't very good. I liked Godzilla vs Kong but this might be too silly. Its fun to watch for sure but I think the series is going to wrong direction. Monsterverse somehow reminds me of the Batman 1989-1997 movie series. Its starts with a darker movie and then turns into this over time. This movie isn't for everyone but I'm sure many will like it though. I'm a big King Kong movie fan but this story didn't do much for me. We need more Godzilla in these movies and also I wish Alexander Skarsgård was in this.

Last edited:
Mine is:

Godzilla 2014
Kong Skull Island
King of the Monsters
Godzilla v Kong

While this goes against the majority of lists here, there isn't really anything to pick between these film. They've all been excellent entries in the Monsterverse.
No, I'm right there with you. That's my exact ranking as well.

My screening is 8pm EST. Kind of sick with cold crap, but still going lol! Icee may sooth my throat
Hope you enjoy it despite that! :like:

My ranking:

Godzilla '14
Kong: Skull Island
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Godzilla vs. Kong

I fully expect Godzilla x Kong to be at the bottom of the list but I'm also expecting to at least have fun with it. GvK is kind of a ****show but it's still entertaining.

I’m going full board opposite of all of you. My rankings are:

KOTM
Godzilla v Kong
Godzilla 2014
Skull island.

And I’m totally ready for this new entry.

This wasn't very good. I liked Godzilla vs Kong but this might be too silly. Its fun to watch for sure but I think the series is going to wrong direction. Monsterverse somehow reminds me of the Batman 1989-1997 movie series. Its starts with a darker movie and then turns into this over time. This movie isn't for everyone but I'm sure many will like it though. I'm a big King Kong movie fan but this story didn't do much for me. We need more Godzilla in these movies and also I wish Alexander Skarsgård was in this.

I blame the audience for the shift in tone.

G14: Not enough fights
KOTM: Too many fights, too much dumb humans
GvK: Fights good everything thing else bad.

Its funny for me to hear Kong fans complain and criticize these last two films, because despite getting top billing Godzilla is barely a factor.
ESPECIALLY with GVK, take out Godzilla, Shimo and Mothra and there would be little too no major changes to the overall story plot. This current movies are Kong films with an appearnace by Godzilla

Also Skarsgard's character was blander than Ford Brody. Im glad they dumped him.

Rewatched Godzilla Vs. Kong the other day to prepare for this one and it wasn't as fun as I remembered but these are always more fun to watch on the big screen. 3PM showing today! Not exactly "excited" but hoping it's at least a fun time

I really like how people are coming back around on Godzilla 2014. I know folks in this forum have long held 2014 in high regard but it's nice to see even amongst the general Godzilla fandom, there's been more love shown to it. I imagine now getting films with lots of monster fights have satisfied the appetite for kaiju action, that on rewatch people can focus on all the other things 2014 does very well.

Its funny for me to hear Kong fans complain and criticize these last two films, because despite getting top billing Godzilla is barely a factor.
For me its because I don't exactly want this kind of story for Kong. Maybe its just me. Kong works best on Skull Island with the classic story. He could be any random giant ape if you take him out of it or don't have any of the familiar characters at least. There should be more familiar elements. He is not like Godzilla.

Godzilla 2014 is very flawed but at least it has good sense of scale, and there’s a palpable threat lingering.

The rest of the monster verse movies are cartoons by comparison.

LOL has the review embargo still not lifted for this? Screenings start in less than three hours.

Metacritic has 12 reviews already. Edit: Can't seem to be able to post the link for some reason.

Not yet. Reviews must be really bad lol
Surely, but I don't know what they're afraid of unless they're embarrassed after the overwhelmingly positive response to Minus One. Something like this is relatively critic proof to an extent. I don't think anyone is expecting anything beyond a mindless monster movie.

Down to 60% with 68 reviews. I'm expecting a good time at the movies, not artful cinema.

5.9 average, yeah, I think the final will go into the 50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"