Goosebumps | Disney+

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
‘Goosebumps’ Live-Action Series In Works By Neal H. Moritz – Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: A live-action Goosebumps series based on R.L. Stine’s bestselling books is in the works for the small screen. Scholastic Entertainment, the media division of Scholastic, is teaming with Neal H. Moritz, producer of the Goosebumpsand Goosebumps 2 films, and Sony Pictures TV, where Moritz’s Original Film is under a deal, to develop the series.

Goosebumps has been keeping kids and families on the edge of their seats for nearly 30 years and we’re very excited to partner with Sony Pictures Television and Neal H. Moritz to bring the enduring brand to life in a fresh new way for today’s generation,” said Iole Lucchese., Scholastic Entertainment President and Chief Strategy Officer. “From the world-famous book series to a full-scale licensing program and even live-action movies starring Jack Black, Goosebumps remains wildly popular and we look forward to presenting new adventures to give fans even more Goosebumps.”

The series will be executive produced by Lucchese, along with Caitlin Friedman, Scholastic’s SVP & General Manager, Moritz and Originals Head of Television Pavun Shetty.

Published by Scholastic, Goosebumps is one of the best-selling book series of all time, with more than 350 million English-language books in print, plus international editions in 32 languages. The original hit live-action Goosebumps TV series was rated #1 for five consecutive seasons in the 1990s. The series was an anthology of stories about children finding themselves in creepy and unusual situations, typically involving supernatural elements. The property also spawned two hugely-successful motion pictures starring Jack Black, released in 2015 and 2018, which Moritz produced and which together grossed more than $250 million.

The books became a global mega brand and a $2 billion consumer products program at retail, and continue to be a success with the current Goosebumps SlappyWorld book series. Scholastic’s Home Base web and app experience features a Goosebumps area, where players can chat with the character Slappy, play games, and read and listen to excerpts from the books. In addition, the classic TV series is accessible to viewers on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, iTunes, Google Play, and Vudu.

“I loved making the Goosebumps movies and can’t wait to bring even more of R. L. Stine’s incredible stories to life through a high-end television series that speaks to both adults and kids alike,” said Moritz.

Hmm. If the movies were anything to go by, this series will perhaps be a bit too kid friendly for my tastes. Hopefully it'll lean a little more heavily towards the eerie while still maintaining some subtle comedic elements, like the original books and television series were able to.

Though I'll probably still be determined to dislike it a little, owing to strong nostalgia for the old show. :hehe:

Yeah hopefully they lean more on the horror this time around. I didn't mind the 2015 Goosebumps movie, but it's definitely not the Goosebumps I grew up with. I mean this franchise shouldn't only be aimed at kids since plenty of us 90's kids grew up with the original show as well.

Hopefully this series is a bit more mature and creepy kinda like Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark movie was. The last two Goosebumps movie were pretty campy and kid friendly, more so than the 90s series

I hope they keep the creepy dog from the intro - that alone freaked me out as a kid...

The fact they're also aiming for adults this time around has me pleased since the films don't at all. I'd honestly like to see the series rebooted as TV-14, which is something kids could watch but has a bit more of an edge to it. I mean tons of kids are allowed to watch TV-14 and PG-13 material so I don't see an issue.

Also, watch the vastly superior The Haunting Hour series. The acting in particular is a lot better than Goosebumps. Easily the absolute best children's horror anthology series ever made, and I say this as someone who grew up in the 90s with both Goosebumps and Are you Afraid of the Dark?. Highly recommended as long as you're not above watching children's programming that you didn't grow up with.

Not a fan of the films either so hopefully the show goes for a darker tone. Wonder what stories they're going to redo. A new take on One Day at Horrorland would be great.

I get going as soft as they did, but I freaking hated those films because 1) I want Goosebumps aged up some and 2) the Night at the Museum riff wasn't what I wanted at all.

I don't necessarily want bad language or gore but I wouldn't clutch pearls over it either. What I really want is something frightening enough to earn a TV-14 or maybe just PG would be appropriate here. Something less kitch-y and more targeted at the original fans, but it's still accessible enough to childen that kids could watch it the same way they watch things with adult's premision. Think something like watching the original Poltergeist film when we were kids. Think something like that or Signs, The Sixth Sense, or The Village that I feel older kids can completely handle. Not saying you can't do some black comedy but just go darker. It would blow my mind to see Goosebumps stories retold in that way.

Last edited:
So I just watched Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and and that's pretty much what I want in terms of tone and acting quality. That "PG-13" film is designed to impress 8-10 year olds and make them feel like adults for watching it. I think it's a good suggestion for a child's first legitimate horror film. Teens and older aren't the main audience here I don't care what the rating says, it's for kids, and it's absolutely great in that regard. Oh noes they mentioned sex and it's actually threatening kinda....You gotta be 13 to watch this....for reasons.

I need this to be less like the 2015 movie and more like Are You Afraid of the Dark or Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.

I have some thoughts. I grew up with the original show, and while I didn't dislike the 15 movie, I was hoping this would be more like the original show. I'm sure I'll end up watching though.

I wonder if they'll be all new stories, new adaptations of the original books, or a mix of both.

‘Goosebumps’ Disney+ Series Casts Justin Long (EXCLUSIVE)

Per the official logline, “The series follows a group of five high schoolers who unleash supernatural forces upon their town and must all work together — thanks to and in spite of their friendships, rivalries and pasts with each other — in order to save it, learning much about their own parents’ teenage secrets in the process.” According to Disney Branded Television, the series is influenced by five of the most popular “Goosebumps” books.

Eh, I don't like that this isn't an anthology show.

I’m willing to keep an open mind.

I completely forgot this was happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"