Grand Theft Auto IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems Take Two is disappointed with the sales for the episodic content on the 360. Maybe its time to move on from GTA IV and give us something new?

Take-Two Interactive recently hinted that they are disappointed with the sales of the Xbox 360 exclusive GTA4 Episodic Content

Despite gaining generally favourable reviews from a number of sites and magazines, and selling a fair few copies, Take-Two have been disappointed with the sales of the Xbox 360 exclusive Grand Theft Auto 4 Episodic Content.

TT-Interactive CEO Ben feder said the following in a call with investors -
"Both we and Microsoft believe there was a big market for GTA IV episodic content."

"And some factors have affected their performance. Both were released significantly after the core unit … GTA IV, which was launched in April of 2008 and therefore weren't able to leverage GTA IV's initial marketing campaign and initial launch fervor."
"Episodes From Liberty City seems to have been most appealing to those who have finished GTA IV and wanted more story and gameplay, which is a smaller market than initially expected."
He did say he expects it to do much better in the long run, just as every other GTA game seems to do... But the question is, will it reach the expectations of Take-Two and/or Microsoft? The disc-based "Episodes From Liberty City" is nearing 1 Million sales worldwide, and the first Episode titled "The Lost and Damned" was reported to have sold 1 Million units on Xbox Live alone a long time ago.

Now, what could have caused these seemingly disappointing sales? The quality of Grand Theft Auto 4 itself? The time it had took for the Content itself to be released? What do you VGC users think?

http://kotaku.com/5429648/take-two--grand-theft-auto-episodes-market-smaller-than-initially-expected

Lost and the Damned and the Ballad of Gay Tony are being released on the PS3 and PC on March 30. You can buy them separately on the PlayStation Store or in disk form with Episodes from Liberty City just like the 360 version.

Wow.....$25 million for a year's worth of exclusivity and another $25 million for not even half a year's worth of exclusivity.

I hope it was worth it. I know I wouldn't pay $50,000,000 just to see my games on a competing platform.

Same here. If I were paying $50 million, I'd want it only on my platform forever.

I plan on getting the DLC whenever I get some spare change but knowing its always gonna be there to buy makes me put it off every now an then. Unlike how MUA2 just took down there DLC without warning to time for me to get them:cmad:

Same here. If I were paying $50 million, I'd want it only on my platform forever.

Yeah, Microsoft was really stupid to have spent $50 million for exclusivity that doesn't even last a year. Whoever came up with this stupid idea should get fired for wasting money like that. Take Two is probably secretly happy that they'd dope Microsoft into a deal like that.

Lost and the Damned and the Ballad of Gay Tony are being released on the PS3 and PC on March 30. You can buy them separately on the PlayStation Store or in disk form with Episodes from Liberty City just like the 360 version.

Wow.....$25 million for a year's worth of exclusivity and another $25 million for not even half a year's worth of exclusivity.
who didnt see this coming? People have been saying for well over a year that it was coming to the PS3. Im only surprised it took this long. What a bad time to come though? Im going to be way too busy with FF XIII and GoW3 to care

Im not sure it will matter as its been so long since GTA IV and I think alot of PS3 owners have moved on. Besides theres alot of great stuff coming. I probably wont pick this up till later in teh summer when Im not busy, have finisehd other games and its cheaper. I dont see it selling all that great when its first released but I could be wrong

Last edited:
If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. Third party exclusivity is a thing of the past. The only exception seems to be Bioware. I'm shocked that Mass Effect has yet to see PS3.

Iv been saying this since day one. GTA IV, at some point, will be the exact same on both consoles.

However, i think its too little too late. I dont see this selling well at all, the GTA appeal has kind of worn off and most people have moved on to other titles. Hell it was too late when they released on the 360.

Excellent, I was hoping I was going to be able to play the two DLC, just didn't think it would happen so soon

Iv been saying this since day one. GTA IV, at some point, will be the exact same on both consoles.

However, i think its too little too late. I dont see this selling well at all, the GTA appeal has kind of worn off and most people have moved on to other titles. Hell it was too late when they released on the 360.
yeah 2 years is too late. This will be a bargain bin game pickup. I think people are just over GTA IV. Rockstar needs to start developing a new GTA game already

Finally.

I doubt I'll end up buying Lost and Damned, but Ballad of Gay Tony looked great. Won't pick it up (probably) until I finish God of War 3, but better late then never.

yeah 2 years is too late. This will be a bargain bin game pickup. I think people are just over GTA IV. Rockstar needs to start developing a new GTA game already

Agreed. GTA IV has run its course in every way. While the DLC's were neat, by the time you got half way through either one you realized there is nothing left to see in Liberty City, at all.

Agreed. GTA IV has run its course in every way. While the DLC's were neat, by the time you got half way through either one you realized there is nothing left to see in Liberty City, at all.

Agreed. I'll probably buy and play them, but I'm read for some fun in the sun down in Vice City. :up:

I hope if GTA IV:_____ turns out to be Vice City, the DLC doesn't actually take place there, at least not all of it. Miami and Cuba are tied together, so make another island for the Vice City DLC that you can travel to by plane. Let the DLC take you to the GTA version of Cuba. Bethesda was smart enough to create new locales for the Fallout DLC, Rockstar needs to do the same (and like Bethesda, they need to have it all out within a year).

Personally, I would like to revisit Los Santos. :)

But yeah I think, or at least I hope, the future of Grand Theft Auto and DLC is almost going to be MMOesque in that they'll keep adding in new areas to the game world.

I hope San Andreas will get a sequel; it has such a gigantic map that you have to use plane to fly between locations, and it'll be a shame if it doesn't get another sequel to explore it. GTA4, by comparison, is way smaller.

I hope San Andreas will get a sequel; it has such a gigantic map that you have to use plane to fly between locations, and it'll be a shame if it doesn't get another sequel to explore it. GTA4, by comparison, is way smaller.

Yea and that was pretty cool, the only problem is that most of SA was empty. There was a ton of space but nothing to see.

Yea and that was pretty cool, the only problem is that most of SA was empty. There was a ton of space but nothing to see.
and I loved that. Some of the most fun I had in the game was just driving around the terrain or taking an airplane and flying across the place. I didnt feel it was that empty bc there were plenty of mini games and extras dispersed across the lands. I thought GTA IV was too busy and too crowded for my liking.

and I loved that. Some of the most fun I had in the game was just driving around the terrain or taking an airplane and flying across the place. I didnt feel it was that empty bc there were plenty of mini games and extras dispersed across the lands. I thought GTA IV was too busy and too crowded for my liking.

The biggest complaint thrown at SA was the lack of depth. Tons of flash, little to no substance. Thats something they dont need to go back to. Im all for the massive size, i loved that too, but if they are going to give us a lot of size, they need to make sure there is something to do within it, other than just drive or fly around.

I'm with Pat. San Andreas offered three cities but barely scrapped the surface of any of them. Instead of doing drug pick ups for some Robert Downey Jr.-esque celebrity in Vinewood, or enforcing for the Jewish Mafia, all you got to focus on was the gang banger aspect of LA. Instead of poking fun of San Fransisco's crazy counter cultures we run a few missions for the Triads and are done in Fierro. Then Vegas...we barely had anything to do in Venturas. Each city should've had its own game. Instead they crammed as many as they could in and we got very little depth despite having so much.

I'm with Pat. San Andreas offered three cities but barely scrapped the surface of any of them. Instead of doing drug pick ups for some Robert Downey Jr.-esque celebrity in Vinewood, or enforcing for the Jewish Mafia, all you got to focus on was the gang banger aspect of LA. Instead of poking fun of San Fransisco's crazy counter cultures we run a few missions for the Triads and are done in Fierro. Then Vegas...we barely had anything to do in Venturas. Each city should've had its own game. Instead they crammed as many as they could in and we got very little depth despite having so much.

well I hope for the next game, they do another mini state like they did in San Andreas. In many ways GTA IV felt like a step backwards bc of the stuff they had to take out (namely planes) bc of the limitations of the environment. Just bc one thing didnt work well in a game, isnt necesary means to abandon and forget about it. Thats why we have sequels. Theres no reason they cant do another San Andreas like setting and listen to previous complaints and expand and improve upon them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"