Grayskull: Masters of the Universe - Part 3

Just rewatched the '87 film. It's such a guilty pleasure.
It has some charm, yes, but I'm still disappointed the basic characters were left out:
Orko, Ram Man, Stratos, Tri-Klops, Trap-Jaw etc
They were regulars on the animated series.

I know it was for budget reasons. It would have been close to impossible to have them here.
Take a look Skeletor's new henchmen. THOSE were what they used parts of the film's budget on. LOL

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder what small tweaks could be applied to make the '87 film, y'know, better. Not closer to the cartoon or include more toys or whatever, just better plotting, storytelling, character development, the conventional metrics to help this wonderful mess actually achieve liftoff.

Well, they never really got to finish the fight scene and had to basically improvise it. Apparently, they had a bigger final fight planned that would've involved more of the Castle Grayskull set.

I think I never watched Masters of the Universe in its entirety. I think I maybe saw some scenes when I was a small kid but I was so disappointed that I erased it from memory.

I sometimes wonder what small tweaks could be applied to make the '87 film, y'know, better. Not closer to the cartoon or include more toys or whatever, just better plotting, storytelling, character development, the conventional metrics to help this wonderful mess actually achieve liftoff.
I wonder the same. How much ended up at the cutting room floor? Can it be restored?
Perhaps the only way to make it better is to do a complete remake, same script, almost scene by scene, and THEN tweak it somehow. But it would still be pretty similar to the original. Which it's what it's supposed to be. We're not making a a whole new film here.

I've come to a conclusion. The film can be seen in three different ways.
As a He-Man film, it's not that bad (except for the lack of Adam, a big mistake imo).
If one thinks of it as a Skeletor live action, it stands out even better (partly due to Langella).
But as a Masters of the Universe adaption, that's where it fails do deliever. A bunch of classic characters that truly belong to the property are left out. If they're not there, it's not the real MOTU. One simply doesn't do it without them :)

I recall Gary Goddard saying he had a ton of behind-the-scenes footage and extra material available for special features for a DVD/Blu-ray release of the film, but WB opted not to use it. Not sure there is much in the way of extra footage because they ran out of money and almost didn't finish the film.

I recall Gary Goddard saying he had a ton of behind-the-scenes footage and extra material available for special features for a DVD/Blu-ray release of the film, but WB opted not to use it. Not sure there is much in the way of extra footage because they ran out of money and almost didn't finish the film.
Oh, I want to see all the cut scenes.

The budget was a problem. I find to hard to accept the studio greenlighted the production They didn't have the money to do the property justice. Why even make the film then?
Already with the change of locations from Eternia to Earth showed the problem.
Their goal was to make it low-budget and earn as much money as possible.

Then what's the deal with the new henchmen?
"Hey, we should NOT adapt any actual MOTU characters that have potential to look cool in live action!! Let's invent some new cool ones instead!"
It's clear the studio didn't have respect for the property. They probably didn't know much about it either, except for He-man, Skeletor and Castle Greyskull.
It's a miracle we got Man-At-Ams, Teela, Evil-Lyn, Beastman and Sorceress. Maybe Mattel pushed for them? If not, the studio might have left these characters out too.

Oh, I want to see all the cut scenes.

The budget was a problem. I find to hard to accept the studio greenlighted the production They didn't have the money to do the property justice. Why even make the film then?
Already with the change of locations from Eternia to Earth showed the problem.
Their goal was to make it low-budget and earn as much money as possible.

Then what's the deal with the new henchmen?
"Hey, we should NOT adapt any actual MOTU characters that have potential to look cool in live action!! Let's invent some new cool ones instead!"
It's clear the studio didn't have respect for the property. They probably didn't know much about it either, except for He-man, Skeletor and Castle Greyskull.
It's a miracle we got Man-At-Ams, Teela, Evil-Lyn, Beastman and Sorceress. Maybe Mattel pushed for them? If not, the studio might have left these characters out too.

So Cannon Films, which was the film's producer at the time, was in a financial spiral and like close to bankruptcy at the time. They basically screwed over Mattel and the cast and crew over. The other problem was that the MOTU brand itself was in its decline and the franchise had basically peaked at that point. So the movie came out after the franchise had already cooled off considerably in popularity.

Case in point, basically every reboot of the franchise since the mid-1980s has basically ended in failure, lol.

So Cannon Films, which was the film's producer at the time, was in a financial spiral and like close to bankruptcy at the time. They basically screwed over Mattel and the cast and crew over. The other problem was that the MOTU brand itself was in its decline and the franchise had basically peaked at that point. So the movie came out after the franchise had already cooled off considerably in popularity.

Case in point, basically every reboot of the franchise since the mid-1980s has basically ended in failure, lol.
Cannon Films also screwed over the original property as well as the audience.
Why make the film if one's neither willing to make a full-bodied MOTU adaption, or financially able to do so?
Would have been better if another studio had the rights.

MOTU fading in popularity is not an excuse to not do a good film. It could have made people interested in the brand again.

Create new characters instead of going for the ones people knew about before? What a s****y idea!
It's not like MOTU doesn't have enough heroes and henchmen to choose from. It's a rich world.

It's also wrong from the budget angle. When the lack of money prevented some characters from appearing, why the ["swear word"] do they spend time and resources on new ones (including costumes and prosthetic make up)?

How about just mentioning or referring to the missing characters, then? That could have been done. It wouldn't have cost a single penny.
No, it didn't happen either!
Did Cannon Films do this on purpose? Trying to distance the film as much as possible from the property?
This version of MOTU is nothing like the animation (or the comic books that followed its success). It seems the film doesn't take place there at all.
Could it have been an alternate Eternia in another universe, where many characters never existed? Kind of a multiverse thing, decades before MCU?

Last edited:
While I think Alan Ritchson might work as He-Man, his chances are not big. The age speaks against him here.
If the studio ever go with somebody around that age, which would be surprising, I have a feeling that Alexander Skarsgård is more likely to happen. And he's even older than Ritchson :suprise:

While I think Alan Ritchson might work as He-Man, his chances are not big. The age speaks against him here.
If the studio ever go with somebody around that age, which would be surprising, I have a feeling that Alexander Skarsgård is more likely to happen. And he's even older than Ritchson :suprise:
You just argued against yourself

You just argued against yourself
No I didn't.
Read again :)

"If the studio ever go with somebody around that age, which would be surprising, I have a feeling that Alexander Skarsgård is more likely to happen."

I was thinking about possible actors for Man-At-Arms.
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau?? Not sure if he's right
Then I got it: Jude Law should play him. God, that would be incredible

1701384915170.png

I've seen some pics of William Moseley in The Royals. He seemed to be quite ripped there. Perhaps he could play He-Man?

I'm so confused. Wasn't a new He-Man cast a few months back. Did he already drop out?

I'm so confused. Wasn't a new He-Man cast a few months back. Did he already drop out?

Last I heard is that Mattel is looking to transfer the movie over to Amazon MGM Studios and they'd like to keep the Nee Bros. and Kyle Allen as He-Man attached. Who knows if that ever happens.

I'm thinking Brenton Thwaites as Tri-Klops.
He's a bit on the younger side though. Wasn't the warrior already one of Skeletor's henchmen before Adam was born?

1702741642856.png
1702742317359.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"