Green Lantern Box Office Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ID4 are you ****ing kidding me? Also let's also be clear Will Smith wasn't the only lead in ID4. And ID4 while it was a huge hit and dumb fun was a dumb ****ing movie and it never got any sequels.

Inception won't get any sequels either, what's your point? The story was told.
Audience approval on ID4 was really high and even 10 years later sits in the 70% range. All I'm saying is GL could have been a sweeping adventure with a charismatic lead the likes of ID4 instead of what it seems to be now.

The movie needed basically the live action version of Optimus Prime as Hal Jordan. OK maybe not that far but close. I'm just saying, look at the way Transfans worship Optimus Prime. Some comic fans have the same view of Hal Jordan as Green Lantern. The movie didn't respect that.

So does Jordan like the ladies? Yes. Does he have a sense of humor? Yes. It is simply in a more dry, ironic, and ADULT way. Reynolds was still in college frat boy amusement mode just like Van Wilder and Blade 3. That is the wrong energy for Hal Jordan. It would technically be right for Guy Gardner, but that's not who Hal played.

Reynolds honestly looks like a guy I want to get punched in the face. So that's why he'd have been great for Gardner. He's a cocky idiot and you punch him in the face for it and then you sort of laugh at him and like him for it.

ah, no he's not optimus prime.
you had it right when you reference the animated films and nathan fillion. He's a grown man and a rebel at the same time.

and for the record RDJ looks and acts like a cocky idiot I'd like to punch in the face as well, didn't seem to hurt his film.

I thought he was cast fine and did a good job, and the movie's problems aren't with him.

Agreed. I spent most of the movie thinking he deserved a better movie than this...

Green Lantern grossed $17m as it opened day-and-date with North America on 3,253 screens in the UK, Russia, New Zealand, Asia and select Middle East markets. The superhero adaptation opened top in the UK on $4.9m from 907 and ranked second in Russia on $3.2m from 771. South Korea generated $942,500 from 304 and Hong Kong brought in $780,000 from 47.

Opened second in Russia... not good

Thor's OW #'s for comparison:
Including previews, Thor's top territory was the United Kingdom, where it finished in first place with $9.1 million. It also took the top spot in France ($8.5 million), Mexico ($6.5 million), South Korea ($5.8 million), Italy ($5.6 million), Spain ($5.6 million) and Brazil ($5.4 million). Even with solid starts in Russia ($6 million) and Germany ($5.7 million), though, Thor had to settle for second place behind Fast Five in both of those markets.
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3153&p=.htm

I'm not surprised by that. Thor did extremely well overseas.

Distributor Warner Bros.' exit polling indicated that 64 percent of Green Lantern's audience was male and 63 percent was over 25 years old (19 percent was under 18).

WB dropped the ball on this, IMO. This movie should have been more heavily marketed at kids...

more at kids? it already looks like a toy commercial. come on .

There a ton of little kids at my showing this morning. More than I've seen at any other superhero movie this summer.

more at kids? it already looks like a toy commercial. come on .

More marketed at kids. As in, a bigger chunk of the advertising should have been on children's programming instead of during SportsCenter or adult swim.

More marketed at kids. As in, a bigger chunk of the advertising should have been on children's programming instead of during SportsCenter or adult swim.

But they did. The little boy sitting in front of me kept flashing a GL ring during the movie. They had toys, and ads on candy..you really couldn't escape it regardless of your age.

But they did. The little boy sitting in front of me kept flashing a GL ring during the movie. They had toys, and ads on candy..you really couldn't escape it regardless of your age.

TV spots were running nonstop on Cartoon Network, primetime networks and Nickelodeon. Only place I didn't notice them were Disney channel. Regular tv spots along with the Hot Wheels, Reeses, Subway and action figure ones.

Your personal experiences do not represent the world. As the statistics show, only 19% were under 18.

150 million on marketing the film is where they dropped the ball . The 200 million budget for a superhero film while not cheap is not unheard of .

The Marketing cost nearly as much tells me the wb needs a new marketing dept .

worldwide means nothing since it was not realesed worldwide. it comes out in july and august.

Yeah, I know that it's not out everywhere yet. What else could I have said that sounded right? Should I have pretended that it made zero dollars in countries that aren't called 'Canada' and 'America'? :whatever:

Yeah, I know that it's not out everywhere yet. What else could I have said that sounded right? Should I have pretended that it made zero dollars in countries that aren't called 'Canada' and 'America'? :whatever:
sorry. i didnt mean to sound negative.

Agreed. I spent most of the movie thinking he deserved a better movie than this...

Yeah Reynolds was fine and I'm never been one to buy into his hype. Still not frankly.

It looks like the studio estimate has been adjusted to $52 million, which is under expectations.

Your personal experiences do not represent the world. As the statistics show, only 19% were under 18.

Seriously? I had no idea. I thought the one showing I attended at a movie theater in the suburbs on a Sunday morning was supposed to be representative of the entire planet. :dry:

Why are people saying it's only made $53 for the weekend? Does sunday not count anymore? :dry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"