• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Guy Ritchie Directing Disney's Aladdin

That's more the mouse power rather than Aladdin power. Sadly movies like Captain marvel make billions while some perfectly good movies make tenth of it.
Well I liked Captain Marvel. So I enjoyed it's success.

Captain Marvel is an MCU film which all do well by default.
They definitely do. Though I think it is telling that Captain Marvel had decent legs domestically, and outdid the vast majority. It had something to it, like Black Panther did. A hook beyond being an MCU flick.

So what do we think money wise? Obviously the kids have been talking about it and old folks will go for nostalgia. Not to mention it's probably one of the only blockbusters out now featuring a mostly Arabic cast that's not like some indie flick.

Old you say? I'm 36 and grew up on the animated movie (which I'd call my 2nd favorite Disney classic right after BATB). If that's old, I'm not sure who you mean by old folks.....

Though I'm probably not watching this movie, at least in theaters, based on the trailers and reviews so far. ;)

I enjoyed myself

People take this movie **** too seriously

yeshrug.png

This movie was...better than I thought it was going to be, but still not amazing. Jasmine was the best part of the movie, but I agree her new songs were meh. Aladdin was also a plus to the movie. Will Smith was a fine Genie when he wasn't singing. When he actually was trying to sing, my ears bled and my soul died. But when he wasn't singing, he was good. Had good chemistry with the cast. Jafar was terrible, though. Like...I can't fathom how they made him so awful. Sultan as noted above was effectively useless in this movie. CGI was all over the place in quality. Amazing in some places, completely terrible in others. But the art direction and set design was top notch.

So overall, I did enjoy this more than BatB, but it is in the same ballpark.

i saw it tonight and thought it was good
i loved how they did iago being snarky and sarcastic and showing intelligence even without forming full sentences

i do think Jafar could've been better but i did like his backstory more this time, i loved mena and naomi as aladdin and jasmine

i thought will smith was really likable as genie, he definitely had some laughs and i liked his energy, i enjoyed the songs and thought they all sounded great as modern interpretations.

will it be regarded as a classic like the original animated one, probably not but for what it is i enjoyed and will be buying it on home release

Say what you will about Guy Ritchie, I really liked Man from UNCLE and his Sherlock Holmes movies.

This looked like an easy skip for me from day one but I'm rootin for ya, Guy.

I enjoyed the movie enough. Will Smith was good and Mena was surprising, in a good way, since I haven’t seen him in anything before. Naomi stole the movie for me though. She was great and I liked her new song. Jafar was forgettable. Overall it was pretty good.

Now bring on The Lion King!

I agree that Naomi was on a different level than Will Smith and Mena and I know this probably has been said enough but I think Will Smith did a good enough job that I didn't think he was just trying to be Robin Williams.

In terms of the Live Action Disney Movies.

The Jungle Book
Aladdin
Cinderella
Beauty & the Beast
Alice in Wonderland
Maleficent
101 Dalmatians
Oz the Great & Powerful
Alice Through the Looking Glass

I thoroughly enjoyed this. Nowhere near as good as the original obviously, but it was a ton of fun, had good pacing, the songs were fun and the performances were great.

Aladdin and Jasmine were fantastic, perfectly cast in my opinion. Jafar was okay. I was fine with a totally different portrayal of him, but the problem I had was that the movie sidelined him to focus on the Aladdin/Jasmine/Genie relationships. So he just wasn't in it very much, and his evil-ness came out too quickly at the end.

Will Smith is basically just Will Smith, which is a good thing. He's funny, charming and fun to watch. I was surprised by his singing -- it's not great, but it was better than I expected. The only issue I had was that the CGI is just... okay. The way Genie moves his arms/hands is so strange, it just always looked off. Like they were over-animating his movements to make him more cartoonish. But if they're gonna make him look photo-real, give him realistic movements too! When Disney puts out movies with amazing CGI like Jungle Book and Lion King, it makes the lower-quality CGI (this, Beauty and the Beast) stick out like a sore thumb.

"A Whole New World" was fantastic and gave me chills.

Looks like China don't care much for this movie. Early estimates for Friday is only $4 million (although that is still enough for first place)

Another Guy Ritchie slam dunk!

Seriously, who keeps handing him these high profile movies?

View attachment 25349
This is corny.

I mean he's had success before. Even this list you're showing he has more fresh movies than rotten. And that's such a stupid metric to judge a director on. Most of his movies are some level of liked. 2/3 of his blockbuster movies made money, he's been working steadily for years...you didn't make your point well at all. If you don't like his movies, that's cool I respect that. But trying to use RT is just silly.

Now, I was/am skeptical of Ritchie as the director of Aladdin, but that was because he hadn't really done a movie like this before. This very much seemed like one of those "One for the producers/funders/studios, then one for me" type deal
Say what you will about Guy Ritchie, I really liked Man from UNCLE and his Sherlock Holmes movies.

This looked like an easy skip for me from day one but I'm rootin for ya, Guy.
Yeah Guy Ritchie has good movies. I too liked UNCLE a lot (shame about never getting a sequel) and I've liked the 2 Sherlock movies. And then of course his "London" movies like RocknRolla and Snatch. I hear his next movie is a return to that type of movie

Maybe but how much money do you leave on the table by not getting a better director?

In terms of material to director creative fit, I can't think of a worse fit frankly on this one, Guy Ritchie for a Disney film !!!?!!! :huh:

In terms of material to director creative fit, I can't think of a worse fit frankly on this one, Guy Ritchie for a Disney film !!!?!!! :huh:
I mean why pigeonhole a director like that? Directors can only play within one wheelhouse?

The thing about Ritchie, for me, was always that yes his early films were successful and looked good and created buzz but that was because hidden away underneath 'his' 'directorial brilliance' was Mathew Vaughn as his producer, that's why they were good, once MV broke away to direct his own films (see Layer Cake) it quickly became obvious who had the talent of the two of them (still is evident today).

I mean why pigeonhole a director like that? Directors can only play within one wheelhouse?

Not at all, absolutely 'spread your creative wings' but a director has to have shown edges or similar qualities transferrable from one film or set of films, there is no through-road at all between cockney geezer stereo-types and him pretending he is (when actually the family of Dukes) and a all singing. all dancing Disney-a-thon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"