Happy Darwin Day-it's this monday

Very true. And for the record, I believe in The Big Bang, but I believe that God created the meteors and other elements that resulted in it.

As for who created God, and who created his creator and so on and so forth, I don't know. We won't know what's truly out there until we're dead and buried, and maybe even not then.

Regardless, I believe in God, Jesus and their teachings (except on homosexuality). If I'm stupid, then as God as is my witness, than I'm glad to be stupid, because I'm smart enough to know I'm not.

Astronomers say that technology one day might give us the ability to create our own little alternate universes, and they also believe there is an infinite number of parallel universes as well.

It is possible for a God to exist. imagine a civilization on an alien planet. Their technology is millions of years ahead of ours, and one day a being from that planet uses technology to enhance hisself or herself or itself. It then uses that technology to create another universe. It would then be a God by every definition of the word. It is possible that our universe came into existence from a scenario like that, but I find it highly impropable. If there are an infinite number of universes, chances are this has happened billions or trillions of times, but chances are ours would probably be among those that came into existence the natural way.

Scientists have also rescently theorized that sometimes the gravity from a super massive black hole comes into contact with the gravity from a super massive black hole from another universe and creates another universe inbetween the two original universes. They say all the math adds up, but it's still just a theory that fits the facts rather than a theory supported by evidence.

Great. So that's me, Darthphere, Rudy Giuliani and you. Anyone else want to climb aboard?

Well there's Jesus as well. He said accept people for their differences, live and let live peacefully and let God be the judge.

Regardless, I believe in God, Jesus and their teachings (except on homosexuality). If I'm stupid, then as God as is my witness, than I'm glad to be stupid, because I'm smart enough to know I'm not.

Niether Jesus nor God taught that Homosexuality was wrong.

In case you aren't reading the other thread, I consider myself a Christ Fllower (think "Christian" without all the right wing bull****).

Neither Jesus nor God taught that Homosexuality was wrong.

In case you aren't reading the other thread, I consider myself a Christ Follower (think "Christian" without all the right wing bull****).

I fall into the same hole... I dont really like to call myself a christian.

Yay! although I think Science should stray away from holidays, the point is it's NOT a religion.

Exactly. This is America. We have freedom to believe what we want and also not to have our individual beliefs insulted by those who believe differently.

Also, out of sheer curiosity, what are you Darthphere?
While that's true in theory, America is such a heavily Christian nation that it can be difficult if it 'comes out' that you're an atheist. An atheist would never be elected for public office, for example.

A large portion of athiests are very cynical and bitter towards religious groups. They often deem them as stupid for having faith, which is jsut as if not more bigoted than anything in my posts. I'm sorry if I've offended you, but a lot of athiests are like that.

And I don't go to church. I don't see the point of it. I'd rather build a relationship with God through my own terms rather than through church. I received Commuion and Confirmation, started myself on the path towards becoming one with God (and got great parties out of both) , and no I choose to communicate with God through prayer in the privacy of my home rather than in a palce as public as my local church.

Well super for you. That doesn't mean all atheists are sad and depressed that god isn't in their lives. :whatever:

Yay! although I think Science should stray away from holidays, the point is it's NOT a religion.

Why can't people celebrate scientific acheivements the way they celebrate the fourth of July or Martin Luther King day?

Niether Jesus nor God taught that Homosexuality was wrong.

In case you aren't reading the other thread, I consider myself a Christ Fllower (think "Christian" without all the right wing bull****).

Yeah, that's pretty much what I am. I believe in God and The Bible and Jesus and Moses and all of that, but I don't agree with a lot of the fundamentalist right wing mumbo jumbo. I'm pro-choice for sure, and I also don't believe that Heaven is exclusively for Christians. Part of me feels that God doesn't care if you believe in him or not, that he cares more if you follow his actions and his teachings than his name.

sithgoblin said:
While that's true in theory, America is such a heavily Christian nation that it can be difficult if it 'comes out' that you're an atheist. An atheist would never be elected for public office, for example.

Well, 50 years ago, yes, but now that America has moved into a more secular mode in recent years, it's much easier for the athiests to admit their beliefs, and they've been quite extreme in it. I find the whole point of taking God off the dollar bill and whatnot extremely silly, it's just something there, you don't have to believe it, you'll still be able to buy stuff even if you don't believe it. And yes, an athiest will probably never hold public office. I actually think there was an athiest senator in Texas who wound up disappearing and never being found.

sithgoblin said:
Well super for you. That doesn't mean all atheists are sad and depressed that god isn't in their lives. :whatever:

Well, good for you. If you feel you can handle the decisions and actions of your life without God having a say, that's fine. Truth be told, I could if I wanted to, but I prefer to have God in my life. It keeps me grounded and more focused on what I feel is right. Could I decide right or wrong without believing in God? Sure, I can, most free thinking people probably could. But again, having God in my life does help me in certain instances, and that shouldn't be criticized by anyone who believes otherwise.

ANTHONYNASTI is so on my cool people list.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I am. I believe in God and The Bible and Jesus and Moses and all of that, but I don't agree with a lot of the fundamentalist right wing mumbo jumbo. I'm pro-choice for sure, and I also don't believe that Heaven is exclusively for Christians. Part of me feels that God doesn't care if you believe in him or not, that he cares more if you follow his actions and his teachings than his name.

Agreed.

Also, as for the whole "man shall not lay with man and women shall not lay with women" element found its way into The Bible, I have a theory:

It was based on man's own personal prejudice towards homosexuals at that time, when it was thought of as a sickness. The Jewish were in possession of the scriptures for 1,200 yeaes before The Bible was actually turned it into a book, and I truly do believe that they themesleves inserted the homosexuality law in there to mislead people into thinking homosexuality went against God's word.

Just a theory, but I strongly believe it to be true.

Considering the fact that Darwin converted to Christianity I guess that's the only good thing about the holiday and the rest is crap! LoL

Annoying plus more. I mean, if you want to believe in God, awesome, if you dont, also awesome. I dont see the need to argue over it. OMG! You must believe in Jesus or youre going to hell! or OMG youre stupid for believing in God!!111!1!

Way I've always seen it. I don't care what anyone believes. Honestly, when it comes to the greater mysteries of the universe, all we have is speculation, minor and highly arguable evidence, and gut feelings. What bothers me is when you treat someone else like an idiot for not thinking the way you do.

Way I've always seen it. I don't care what anyone believes. Honestly, when it comes to the greater mysteries of the universe, all we have is speculation, minor and highly arguable evidence, and gut feelings. What bothers me is when you treat someone else like an idiot for not thinking the way you do.

That's what so many athiests do (look at this thread). They say you're stupid and illogical for believing in God, which is so not true. They say evolutuion is the only way, and there can't be anything else. Look, I believe in evolution. And again, I'm a Christian. Whether it's cared to be admitted or not, evolution does not disprove God. Does it disprove creationism? Yes, and in a very well put together and researched manner. But it doesn't disprove God or any form of a higher power.

But getting back to whole discrimiantion thing, I would never outwardly hate or think a person is completely stupid for not believing in God like I do. Will they go down a bit in my eyes? Well, I won't lie, yes. But that goes for anything I feel strongly about that people disagree with me about. If someone calls Led Zeppelin or the music I listen to ovverrated, or they say Jack Nicholson and all my favorite actors and actresses are not that talented, then those people will sink as well in my eyes. I equate athiests to those things, and really, those are pretty trivial things. So the fact that I equate my opinion of atheism and atheists to examples as trivial and ultimately pointless as the examples I've given, shows that I don't mind them al that much.

They, on the other hand, seem to be mind us a fair bit of the time.

That's what so many athiests do (look at this thread). They say you're stupid and illogical for believing in God, which is so not true. They say evolutuion is the only way, and there can't be anything else. Look, I believe in evolution. And again, I'm a Christian. Whether it's cared to be admitted or not, evolution does not disprove God. Does it disprove creationism? Yes, and in a very well put together and researched manner. But it doesn't disprove God or any form of a higher power.

But getting back to whole discrimiantion thing, I would never outwardly hate or think a person is completely stupid for not believing in God like I do. Will they go down a bit in my eyes? Well, I won't lie, yes. But that goes for anything I feel strongly about that people disagree with me about. If someone calls Led Zeppelin or the music I listen to ovverrated, or they say Jack Nicholson and all my favorite actors and actresses are not that talented, then those people will sink as well in my eyes. I equate athiests to those things, and really, those are pretty trivial things. So the fact that I equate my opinion of atheism and atheists to examples as trivial and ultimately pointless as the examples I've given, shows that I don't mind them al that much.

They, on the other hand, seem to be mind us a fair bit of the time.

the theory of evolution says that the good genes get passed on more often than the bad genes, through natural selection. If a God had anything to do with man's existence, than that would be natural selection, it would be God's selection. The theory of evolution is not compatible with a belief in God.

that doesn't mean you can't believe God played a hand in the species gradually changing over the millenia, and for some reason took 5 billion years to produce humans and for some reason he chose for all of our primal animal violent instincts to remain intact.

If God's real, I wish he would have used a little more common sense when creating us.

Considering the fact that Darwin converted to Christianity I guess that's the only good thing about the holiday and the rest is crap! LoL

I'm pretty sure Darwin was a Christain all of his life. Or maybe he just said he was to lower the the amount of assination attempts on his life.

the theory of evolution says that the good genes get passed on more often than the bad genes, through natural selection. If a God had anything to do with man's existence, than that would be natural selection, it would be God's selection. The theory of evolution is not compatible with a belief in God.

that doesn't mean you can't believe God played a hand in the species gradually changing over the millenia, and for some reason took 5 billion years to produce humans and for some reason he chose for all of our primal animal violent instincts to remain intact.

If God's real, I wish he would have used a little more common sense when creating us.

Well, everything is open for intepretation. I don't believe absolutely everything evolution says, much like I don't believe in everything in The Bible. I do believe God played the big hand in evolution, and that he did create the basic elements involved in it. I believe he created the species from which we involved. Maybe this is my own interpretation of evolution rather than the traditional take on it, and if that's the case, so be it. I can believe what I want.

Well, 50 years ago, yes, but now that America has moved into a more secular mode in recent years, it's much easier for the athiests to admit their beliefs, and they've been quite extreme in it. I find the whole point of taking God off the dollar bill and whatnot extremely silly, it's just something there, you don't have to believe it, you'll still be able to buy stuff even if you don't believe it. And yes, an athiest will probably never hold public office. I actually think there was an athiest senator in Texas who wound up disappearing and never being found.

Well, good for you. If you feel you can handle the decisions and actions of your life without God having a say, that's fine. Truth be told, I could if I wanted to, but I prefer to have God in my life. It keeps me grounded and more focused on what I feel is right. Could I decide right or wrong without believing in God? Sure, I can, most free thinking people probably could. But again, having God in my life does help me in certain instances, and that shouldn't be criticized by anyone who believes otherwise.

Very well said Mr. Anthony. You have summed up my thoughts on my faith right there. :up:

What if God created nature, created the laws in which nature relies on, and then let things happen? He let things evolve. There is no contradiction there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"