Has a post or thread ever changed your opinion?

The mind is like a parachute. It only functions when opened.

Has a post or thread ever changed my opinion? Most definitely! It would be ridiculous to say no to that. Unlike your values, opinions shouldn't be too hard to change as you become more/better informed, as you learn new things and gain new knowledge. It can change for the better or for the worse. I am not saying this should be the case for every opinion you have already formed, but to say that not one of your views have been altered as a result of seeing things from other people's perspective... that sounds bogus to me. It sounds like something that would come from a person who thinks too highly of himself/herself, someone who thinks he/she knows it all and has got everything already figured out.

I have been swayed enough times to question some of my own views, but my opinions haven't been changed due to a specific post of thread. I have had my eyes open to many alternatives, and have questioned my own beliefs, but I haven't radically changed my stance on a particular issue.

For example, SupermanBeyond's FairTax thread was incredibly well-researched and has made me consider it as an alternative to the current tax system. I have yet to decide whether it's something I truly agree with, but the amount of research he put into it has inspired me to do some additional research of my own on the topic.
Thank you for the Shout Out! I appreciate that. I see others debate Religion and Politics. You can never get anyone to change minds on those subjects, but with Unfair Taxation, you can become better informed. It is a subject that affects all of us. Left or Right. My only goal with promoting the Fairtax is for me to receive 100% of my paycheck. That is all, and I would love to get as many people on board to get the Politicians to support it. Regardless of which side of the aisle you sit on. Thanks for the Support, I'll keep answering questions about the Fairtax as long as you keep asking them.

Thank you for the Shout Out! I appreciate that. I see others debate Religion and Politics. You can never get anyone to change minds on those subjects, but with Unfair Taxation, you can become better informed. It is a subject that affects all of us. Left or Right. My only goal with promoting the Fairtax is for me to receive 100% of my paycheck. That is all, and I would love to get as many people on board to get the Politicians to support it. Regardless of which side of the aisle you sit on. Thanks for the Support, I'll keep answering questions about the Fairtax as long as you keep asking them.
That depends on how strong those people's beliefs are on those issues. What's scary is... when people put their faith in religion or politics without questioning. It doesn't happen often, but I have seen people's views on those two issues change. I considered myself a Democrat once, but not anymore.

Wilhelm's views on Christianity have made me question my faith. I'm conflicted now, but it's actually a good feeling. I feel dumb for not noticing some of the absurd things in the bible before. Thanks :up:

Heh...strange, Wilhelm's always strengthened my belief in Christ.

That depends on how strong those people's beliefs are on those issues. What's scary is... when people put their faith in religion or politics without questioning. It doesn't happen often, but I have seen people's view on those two issues change. I considered myself a Democrat once, but not anymore.
That is true, but if their mind is already made up, then you can't do too much but argue with them and let it go. I've giving up debating on the Global Warming Thread. You just can't change minds of people that have so much emotion vested into it.

That is true, but if their mind is already made up, then you can't do too much but argue with them and let it go. I've giving up debating on the Global Warming Thread. You just can't change minds of people that have so much emotion vested into it.
When emotions are involved, thoughts can sometimes be clouded and that makes it hard to see things clearly, or from different perspectives. When you see people very passionate about certain issues, it's best to leave them and their views alone. Arguing with them would be a waste of time.

When emotions are involved, thoughts can sometimes be clouded and that makes it hard to see things clearly, or from different perspectives. When you see people very passionate about certain issues, it's best to leave them and their views alone. Arguing with them would be a waste of time.
That is very true. You have changed my opinion :cwink:

Actually no, I 100% agree, if someone truly intends on debating to form theri own opinion and playing devil's advocate, then they still haven't developed a true opinion to begin with. If they are spouting political commericals as gospel. Their really isn't much use in arguing. Like you've said in the past, you have to keep an open mind, see both sides of the issue and then form the opinion.

No matter how wrong it might be...

Yes. Specifically gun control. I used to believe that the only people who were against gun control were totally crazy. Now I realize that there are some people who have good reasons to believe that they need a gun. I am still for gun control but now I will not automatically discount anyone who is against it as being insane.

Wilhelm's views on Christianity have made me question my faith. I'm conflicted now, but it's actually a good feeling. I feel dumb for not noticing some of the absurd things in the bible before. Thanks :up:
That's so beautiful.
I'm really happy to hear that.
I'd encourage you to study the Bible more.
I think everyone should read it all the way through at least once, since, whether or not it's true is so important.

If people have read the Bible and they believe it, that's one thing.
What I really have a problem with is people who claim to be Christians and still have very little idea as to what the Bible actually teaches.

And of course, ANY faith worth having is worth questioning.

For sure.
I love message boards because it seems to be one of the last places left where people sit and discuss things.
Most people in my day to day life seem to be so caught up with their own lives that they seldom want to get into anything deep.
And people don't want to harm relationships on touchy subjects like religion and politics, here it doesn't really matter, you can clash, learn from others or chose not to, but some of it will surely seep in.

I never change my opinion. That would take a close friend or relative.
But I do admit when I'm wrong if I lose a battle of facts.
So, opinion? No. Learn new facts? Yes.

I had to give this thread some thought.

Has my opinion ever changed since I have been here. Well, a long time ago I used to believe X-Men was a great rendition of the comics I loved, now I'm not so sure. I once believed that all comic movies, especially Transformers, ought to be rehashes of the source material and would be better because of this. Now, I don't believe that at all. I once was purely Marvel, and hated Superman, now Superman's titles are on my pull list. These are definitely changes in opinion (thank you Darthphere and DREAD). Am I a fundamentally different person because of this place? Absolutely not.

I am a fundamentally different person since I joined this place, I am almost unrecognizeable from where I was five or six years ago. This place, sadly, gets no credit for that. The opinions I listed, the one's that could be changed by posters, ultimately weren't ones that were worth much to me. Any opinion that is worth something, that is more than simply a taste or preference certainly isn't going to be changed here. The internet is a great place for information; good and bad. I know this because I read things from very convincing people that could ultimately be bunk, or worse, told from a position of falsehood.

I like to think I know the people here, especially the people I like, but I don't. I know things, aspects of their personalities, but I don't know them, I know their Myspace profile's version of them. My friends, my family, and my experiences outside of this place...the one's in real life...those are going to shape the parts of me that matter. No matter how long I'm here, I intend it to stay that way.

God the guy who started this thread was a serious dick in my opinion. He took the internet way to seriously.

EDIT: I don't want to bring that debate into this thread.

God the guy who started this thread was a serious dick in my opinion. He took the internet way to seriously.

Don't worry about him, dude. None of us pay him much attention, anyway.

jag

Don't worry about him, dude. None of us pay him much attention, anyway.

jag

That's good, I suspect attention is what he craved. He has all the hallmarks of an internet troll imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"