Has Batman hurt the genre where costumes are concerned?

There was no explanation for why the Comedian called himself the Comedian or chose that particular costume, why Rorschach went the way he did, why SIlk Spectre went with her design (with NO SILK in it)-that's what he means.

exactly i flies in the face of the arguement that costumes have to be explained...hell Dr Manhatten walked around with his shlong hanging out for half the movie

I'm aware. But as much as I liked it I wouldn't even put it in the top 5.

Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
X2

add Watchmen and Dardevil Director's Cut and you have my list

Well when you put a woman in spandex, almost no one complains.:hehe:

Doesn't always work.
uma-thurman-poison-ivy.jpg

alba-invisible-woman.jpg

^^^^ Nothing wrong with those costumes. It's the the writing of the characters that sucked. Plus Alba is miscast as Sue Storm. Thurman could have been a brilliant Poison Ivy with a proper script.

I don't know if people complained about the costume designs. Just the fact that the movies sucked tremendously.

exactly i flies in the face of the arguement that costumes have to be explained...hell Dr Manhatten walked around with his shlong hanging out for half the movie

it always comes back to the big blue wangus

I didn't find it as distracting as a lot of people seemed to.:huh:

Last edited:
I can't tell you the number of blue old fella jokes I heard from regular folks about Manhattan. Admittedly many were hilarious.

I often wonder why they didn't just throw some damn shorts on him. I didn't see the point. But it seems like many people came away from the movie remembering Lil' Manhattan & nothing else. I wonder, had they covered him up, if fans would have blasted the movie for not being faithful enough.

there lies the problem. It shouldnt be a superhero injected into our world...it should be a semblance of our world...like IM and the Spider-man movies. Case in point the Nolan Batman movies....a superhero injected into the real world. In the realm of the Nolan movies could you believe Superman protects Metropolis???? or Aqua-man Atlantis???

That's irrelevant, the point of a Batman movie is to tell a Batman story, not rationalize every other hero in the DC universe.

I think the TDK worked well because it was kinda set in the real world, I always thought Batman worked better fighting criminals then fighting aliens with the JLA. One thing I never understood was how Batman can outsmart cosmic gods in the JLA titles, but then he gets back Gotham and has trouble dealing with a guy with a hat fetish, that defies internal logic.

I've had problems with Batman being in the JLA for years-it seems more a business decision than an artistic one. It contradicts his stories in so many ways it's not even funny.

That's irrelevant, the point of a Batman movie is to tell a Batman story, not rationalize every other hero in the DC universe.

I think the TDK worked well because it was kinda set in the real world, I always thought Batman worked better fighting criminals then fighting aliens with the JLA. One thing I never understood was how Batman can outsmart cosmic gods in the JLA titles, but then he gets back Gotham and has trouble dealing with a guy with a hat fetish, that defies internal logic.

ok let me put it this way....do you see Robin happening in the the Nolanverse??? Catwoman??? or Mr Freeze????

I've always seen it as there are two different Batman characters, one as 'the dark detective' who works outside of the superhero world and is fairly realistic, and the one seen in JLA who is more like a superhero and has loads of gadgets for each situation and appears to be prepared for everything.

ok let me put it this way....do you see Robin happening in the the Nolanverse??? Catwoman??? or Mr Freeze????

I never liked Robin, so I don't care.

Catwoman yes, I could see her appearing, Mr. Freeze I cannot, because he wouldn't fit with Nolan vision and his appearance in Batman and Robin kinda ruined the character's cinematic appeal.

Frankly I don't mind losing Robin and some B-list villains in the Nolan Batman movies.

JAK®;18135668 said:
I've always seen it as there are two different Batman characters, one as 'the dark detective' who works outside of the superhero world and is fairly realistic, and the one seen in JLA who is more like a superhero and has loads of gadgets for each situation and appears to be prepared for everything.

Except they exist in the same universe and thus are supposed to be the same character, that's the problem.

I mean why doesn't Batman use some of the tech from his JLA adventures to make Arkham escape proof or something.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"