Have any of you digitized your movie collections?

Keeping physical copies seems pointless now. While people invest into 4K TVs, they are already working on 8K. Every blu ray now is obsolete, and 4K will become obsolete the same way.

It seems digital storing might be the way to go. I haven't ever used any of my UltraViolet codes, is there anything better than UltraViolet? I want to rip my DVD's and blu rays the same way I rip music from old CDs.

What about people who partly by for the collector aspect?

physical copies aren't pointless. not every 4k movie you buy comes with uhd digital copies, so you need the discs for 4k. also, most digital copies do not come with special features and the like you get on disc
no wifi, no streaming

and i'm fairly certain you can't rip movies like cds legally, but there is the Disc to Digital program. i do 10 at a time so they're only $1 each.

my blu collection is about 12-1300 right now, and my digital UV library is between 500-600

The thought has never crossed my mind. Not a bad idea though. Wouldn't mind ripping all of my DVDs, putting them on an external HD and packing the DVDs away somewhere..

So I actually did end up doing this. I have all of my movies on two 4TB hard drives, packed all my DVDs away in my garage. I run a Plex server and I can just select my library from any tv in the house. It's great.

I prefer to have a "physical" copy of a movie. I put physical in quotes because to me that means either an actual disk (blu-ray) or at the very least a soft copy of the movie and not just a i-own-the-rights-to-watch-the-movie-whenever-i-want-but-i-need-an-internet-connection-or-the-fore-thought-to-download-it-first copy. I really dislike using services like Flixster.

When I buy a movie now I try to get the version that comes with the actual digital copy (though the iTunes version). If I cant get that then I try to get the blu-ray and DVD combo and I'll rip a digital copy to use on the computer (and upload to my phone).

I used DVD Decrypter and Videora iPod Converter to make my copies. It doesnt work with all movies but most. I havent found a program to use to copy blu-ray movies yet.

I have digital copies of some of my favorite flicks, but I prefer having physical copies. Blu ray is a great format that isn't going anywhere anytime soon and 4K is absurd at this point. In fact, I wish some of the online type shows like Netflix would get physical releases. I'm still waiting patiently for Daredevil Season 1 & 2 blu ray and Jessica Jones blu ray.

What about people who partly by for the collector aspect?

As long as you have a room to do that, by all means, keep buying them. My collection is getting so huge, it's getting out of hand. If I have to move, it will be a pain in the ass the store them all.

physical copies aren't pointless. not every 4k movie you buy comes with uhd digital copies, so you need the discs for 4k. also, most digital copies do not come with special features and the like you get on disc
no wifi, no streaming

and i'm fairly certain you can't rip movies like cds legally, but there is the Disc to Digital program. i do 10 at a time so they're only $1 each.

my blu collection is about 12-1300 right now, and my digital UV library is between 500-600

There is actually a way to emulate the software of a BD Player or DVD player and retain all the special features that are packed into a disc. The problem is, there is no nifty app that accommodates that yet for portable devices; nor a good 'iTunes" like digital transfer software. I assume the point/perspective from the movie industry is to keep people buying discs and prevent digital copies from proliferating.

I have digital copies of some of my favorite flicks, but I prefer having physical copies. Blu ray is a great format that isn't going anywhere anytime soon and 4K is absurd at this point. In fact, I wish some of the online type shows like Netflix would get physical releases. I'm still waiting patiently for Daredevil Season 1 & 2 blu ray and Jessica Jones blu ray.

8K is on the horizon while 4K still hasn't reached its prime yet. I'm wondering how the movie industry is coping with more people streaming their content vs buying it, or downloading it. I think people crave convenience > special features, which most people will watch one or twice and be done with it.

What if special features could be unlocked while watching the movie? You could download the special features without having to buy a bulky Blu ray?

Keeping physical copies seems pointless now. While people invest into 4K TVs, they are already working on 8K. Every blu ray now is obsolete, and 4K will become obsolete the same way.

It seems digital storing might be the way to go. I haven't ever used any of my UltraViolet codes, is there anything better than UltraViolet? I want to rip my DVD's and blu rays the same way I rip music from old CDs.
Yeah, I give CC most of my Digital copies. I bought that Avengers set with the copy you could download off the disc and the danged thing don't work any more! Good thing I have the other copies!

Yeah, I give CC most of my Digital copies. I bought that Avengers set with the copy you could download off the disc and the danged thing don't work any more! Good thing I have the other copies!

So you paid for a temporary digital copy? This is getting ridiculous!

So you paid for a temporary digital copy? This is getting ridiculous!

i'm pretty sure he's talking about .xml digital copies, which are kinda obsolete these days. the ones where you have to use the code, and input the disc to obtain.

i like Vudu as far as streaming because i can download my movies to my harddrive should i want. i'm a big fan of their Disc 2 Digital program, once i learned of it, and converted a lot of my DVD copies to HDX, then donated the discs to the library or gave them away

I have a few films/tv series through iTunes that will probably never see a proper DVD release...which is what I mainly do for my digital collection...and I had a question...

...What's a good external hard drive to back up those? I've researched a lot that work well, etc...but I'm mostly looking for one that one die after a few uses. The most reoccurring Con from reviews and such is always they die after a few uses, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"