Having a closed mind...

then both of your examples sucks, especially the 2nd one.

Wow. Where did the harshness come from? You obviously just have no clue what I'm talking about. That says more about your comprehension skills than my examples.

Not that it even matters because I don't know how many times I've said that the story is irrelevant. Maybe that's what's confusing people...did I spell it wrong or something.

"misunderstanding what I mean. I'm not asking if this person is closed minded for not watching one show, but for saying that all anime is bad. That's why I said the story itself is irrelevant, but only to stregnthen the question as an example."

If someone said "watch Seinfield" and I said no. To call me closed minded is stupid. There's plenty of reasons why I may not want to. But if I said "Television sucks. I'm tired of sitcoms and I hate comedies" And you ask me why? And I say that one show made me feel this way... Then it's possible that I'm closed minded for hating everything because some things I've seen in the past are lame.

The question...for maybe like the third time is.. "Define closed mindedness". If you read just the story and respond to that and get confused. I'm not bothering to explain anymore. Because you obviously didn't care enough to read the whole post...why write another to be ignored?

So you're enjoying your time at the Hype? :oldrazz:

I should go in and give this cold back to the suckers that gave it to me. :mad::(

To me closed-mindedness is a few things:

When in the course of a discussion, insulting the person to make your point or yourself seem more valid.

Not understanding when you need to stop debating a certain point. You then come off as pushy and unintelligent.

To me closed-mindedness is a few things:

When in the course of a discussion, insulting the person to make your point or yourself seem more valid.

Not understanding when you need to stop debating a certain point. You then come off as pushy and unintelligent.

Seems about right.

I know the subject isn't anime but in my personal experience, I used to think Star Trek fans were the most pushy and know-it-allish...but lately anime fans have taken their place.

I should go in and give this cold back to the suckers that gave it to me. :mad::(

Hey get well and all but...no thread hijacking. I hate that. I'm awaiting Darthphere to come in and make this an argument about the sexuality of certain superheroines.

Hey get well and all but...no thread hijacking. I hate that. I'm awaiting Darthphere to come in and make this an argument about the sexuality of certain superheroines.

Uh, maybe the Hype isn't for you. :huh:

I'm hijackin the thread....Nobody moves, nobody gets hurt....we are gonna talk about kittens...black kittens, white kittens, calico kittens....I hijack this thread for ALLAH !!!!!

I know the subject isn't anime but in my personal experience, I used to think Star Trek fans were the most pushy and know-it-allish...but lately anime fans have taken their place.

A teacher once told me that before any argument the keywords must be defined. Actually I lied, I just made that up....but it's true. :p

Seriously though, there is a difference between anime fans and anime fanboys. Personally, to me anime is like any other television program. Death note for instance is just as serious as if it were a live action story. Firefly/Serenity or Buffy or even Angel are VERY similar to anime shows. But people that push their views are probablly fanboys.

I have Naruto as my avatar, I've actually grown to hate the series. But the character is cool. However, some people might be like "Naruto is ssj3 when in nine tails he is therefore more powerful than Brolly!!" or some nonsense. They might say it's the best show ever written.

Don't get me started on dbz fans actually...

Anyway I personally feel that video game FAN-BOYS (note: not normal fans), are more self righteous than other types of fan boys and girls.

Uh, maybe the Hype isn't for you. :huh:

Pffft you think it's different anywhere else? What do you want me to do go OUTSIDE?! There's BEES out there....honey bees...lol okay maybe no bees...hahaha cuz they're dead....but there's smog and rain and human interaction.
:p

I'm hijackin the thread....Nobody moves, nobody gets hurt....we are gonna talk about kittens...black kittens, white kittens, calico kittens....I hijack this thread for ALLAH !!!!!

Stop making me digress >_<....I just picture kittens throwing up now. It stops a cat fight..:oldrazz:

A teacher once told me that before any argument the keywords must be defined. Actually I lied, I just made that up....but it's true. :p

Seriously though, there is a difference between anime fans and anime fanboys. Personally, to me anime is like any other television program. Death note for instance is just as serious as if it were a live action story. Firefly/Serenity or Buffy or even Angel are VERY similar to anime shows. But people that push their views are probablly fanboys.

I have Naruto as my avatar, I've actually grown to hate the series. But the character is cool. However, some people might be like "Naruto is ssj3 when in nine tails he is therefore more powerful than Brolly!!" or some nonsense. They might say it's the best show ever written.

Don't get me started on dbz fans actually...

Anyway I personally feel that video game FAN-BOYS (note: not normal fans), are more self righteous than other types of fan boys and girls.

I don't know about that....seems very subjective to me....

I don't know about that....seems very subjective to me....

That was my mistake. What I mean by that is I have seen anime with similar themes and story telling of the same caliber (it's late if I spell like a 5th grader...bare with me). Black Jack is an anime with very casual pasing. No one says catch phrases there is no super bad guy, it's more serious than Scrubs. If you took the same show and used real people, it would fit perfectly.

Firefly as an anime might come out to something like OS or Cowboy Bebop or maybe even Trigun.

My point I guess is that all anime is not Pokemon. Anime is only different in terms of artistic style, in terms of storytelling there is no set path. You can tell any story with anime, you may just end up drawing it differently..

That was my mistake. What I mean by that is I have seen anime with similar themes and story telling of the same caliber (it's late if I spell like a 5th grader...bare with me). Black Jack is an anime with very casual pasing. No one says catch phrases there is no super bad guy, it's more serious than Scrubs. If you took the same show and used real people, it would fit perfectly.

Firefly as an anime might come out to something like OS or Cowboy Bebop or maybe even Trigun.

My point I guess is that all anime is not Pokemon. Anime is only different in terms of artistic style, in terms of storytelling there is no set path. You can tell any story with anime, you may just end up drawing it differently..

I think you are wrong there....I can't speak for books, but as for anime series they have a clear beginning and a clear end....the main villain or adversary might not be revealed from the very start of the "run" or "series" but there is one there....as in OS, Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, and Trigun. That is a set path.

I think you are wrong there....I can't speak for books, but as for anime series they have a clear beginning and a clear end....the main villain or adversary might not be revealed from the very start of the "run" or "series" but there is one there....as in OS, Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, and Trigun. That is a set path.

lol you're taking me literally. There is no set path in how to tell a story is what I was saying. And again...this is just like any book or novel or television show.

Anyway even though I wasn't saying that, I DO agree with what you THOUGHT I meant. You've listed only a few of a specific genre called shonen. As in those stories were meant to be "cool" and viewed by teenagers. In the anime I mentioned before...Black Jack there is no "path" in your sense of the word. He is a doctor, he solves people's problems, eventually he stops traveling the series ends. I don't want to spoil it, but there is totally no path or "main villain"

Aaanyway....since the topic is NOT about anime, I'm going to have to end the conversation there. We can discuss this in pm or in another thread if you'd like. But I'd really like to stay on topic, as my caring is why I even bothered to make the thread.

I was just listing things in the "anime" category, regardless of its different genres or sub-genres. You can't spoil something I have no interest in. Just deal with the fact that some people just don't like certain things and leave it at that....

I was just listing things in the "anime" category, regardless of its different genres or sub-genres. You can't spoil something I have no interest in. Just deal with the fact that some people just don't like certain things and leave it at that....

I love it when people come into a thread and act as if they're the deciding factor. "Just deal", honestly, who are you to speak in such phrasing? I didn't make the thread for you. When I speak of spoiling how many tens maybe hundreds of people view the forums? If only three more people..if only one more reads this thread...I wouldn't want to spoil it for that person. I hate spoilers.

If you feel a certain way about this topic, then you should have stated your opinion and left. This is my topic, I obviously will be here reading or responding to people's posts. You have no ties or obligations to this. Arguing with me for a few posts about something that I told you had nothing to do with the topic seemed like you maybe were just bored and felt like arguing. But I'm not a jerk so I obliged you. But didn't you say:

"Not understanding when you need to stop debating a certain point. You then come off as pushy and unintelligent."

All you did in every post here was try to find a way to disagree with me. You even went as far as to try to place words in my mouth. You went far beyond misunderstanding me. To assume that it was an easy misunderstanding is almost laughable.

"When in the course of a discussion, insulting the person to make your point or yourself seem more valid."

To talk down to me as if you suddenly just have the case closed answer to this, when your phrasing shows that you don't even know the point of the thread..is insulting. Unless you didn't know? :/ So you broke both of your own rules. Closed minded, much?

Long story short: Don't start an argument from a question that you ignored (and went into your own tangent) and then come up with some smug wrap up line as if you suddenly know what you're talking about. It makes you look like an ash.

For those who got side tracked by all of the people, such as this fellow, who were talking about random off topic things....I'm guilty as well for trying to laugh it off and indulge him....The topic question is for you to define being closed minded.

I guess I'll kick it off....again.

I'm starting to feel that being closed minded involves deciding on something in your head and then not letting it go. The story is irrelevant but for the purpose of example to the reader: Read all of the previous posts..

Here's a question.... why is being "closed minded" particularly a bad thing? For example... Religion.

People call christians closed minded because they seem to shut out certain things other people love. They may choose to not watch or accept rated R movies, things with nudity or a lot of language or violance. The same with comics or television, or books, etc. Now, they would be called closed minded because they are 'cencertized' and missing out on so many great things.

They may choose to never try drugs, alcohol, smoking, what have you, and they are called closed minded because they are denying themselves experiences that others may find fun, uplifting, social, etc.

A person may close their mind to the idea of having sex or any type of sexual acts until they are married. Others call that person closed minded because they feel that person is missing out on the exeriences that 2 people who love one another shoud share.

And yet, there is nothing in any of these things that woud actually hurt that christian. In several situations, it may actually be best for them even, or at least safer. So why is this closed mindedness looked at as a bad thing?

And changing the subject a bit... why are christians looked at as being so closed minded compared to all the anti-god believing people who criticize them? Their the freakin' ones who are open minded enough to believe in something with little proof or fact that could potentially sound like a fantasy story, and be willing to structure their whole life around it. And THEIR the closed minded ones? Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I never really got that.

(note: this isn't to create a religious debate or anything, just genera discussion on the topic of closed mindedness/open mindedness.)

I don't see how anyone can hate all of everything....

it's silly to even try to comprehend.

HOwever after a few bad experiences, it's easy for the human mind to reason like so

I agree. I may like some of the more serious toned anime, but I've been turned off by the exagerated art of things like Naruto and Dragonball Z to be willing to give other things a try. As a person who likes fairly realistic art, most anime art styles are a turn off to me, thus, I don't like to watch them. Now, I may enjoy some anime movies if I gave them a chance, but I probably will never see them, and for now I classify anime as something I do not like.

My point was that some people are more willing to look at different things and some aren't. You just can't reach certain people and it's best to leave them in their own little ignorance bubble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"