Hawkeye & Mockingbird

Jennifer Walters

Attorney at Law
Reaction score
In another vie to break our wallets...Hawkeye and Mockingbird are getting their own ongoing.

1268247315.jpg

I like the two characters and the Reunion mini-series while not amounting to much was well written at least. I'll give the first issue a shot, but after that it's depending on the quality.

i do like hawkeye and mockingbird...they are (for me) a likeable green arrow and black canary.
i might give this a shot...cant wait for him to dump that bleedin ronin suit.

Well, that's the thing though at one point in time, Green Arrow and Black Canary were likable as well, but DC's ****ed that all to hell.

Mockingbird seems to ooze sex appeal more and more lately, I never recalled her like that back in the WCA days...I like it.:up:

I'll most likely check this out, but I never read New Avengers:Reunion. Was the writer any good? Never heard of him.

The mini-series didn't do much, but you could tell the guy was moderately good to great.

Really looking forward to this. But I'm not sure I really see the point in the ex agents banding together thing. You know every SHIELD agent ever would join Fury's new howling commandos in an instant no matter how long theyd been away or what they came back to.

Although the larger supporting cast does lend hope to this archery fighting couple not succumbing to the same mistakes of story and character "development" that Ollie and Dinah did in their side by side ongoing.

I kinda like the effort in design they've gone to to make Clints bow multipurpose and foldable too:
SK-Hawkeye_02.jpg

I guess with this announcement, it increases the chances of a Pym book by Slott.

i do like hawkeye and mockingbird...they are (for me) a likeable green arrow and black canary.

Heh heh. Man, Marvel wasn't trying to subtle at all when they paired these two up...

Marvel so obviously wants them to be GREEN ARROW & BLACK CANARY, forgetting that no one seems to be reading that. Comics are great in that every idea one company does is ripped off, even the UNSUCCESSFUL ideas! :awesome:

I like Hawkeye and Mockingbird, and MB's new costume is a huge improvement over her old outfit with those ridiculous sleeves. However, I do miss the fact that she used to bare most of her thigh in her old costume. :D Hopefully Marvel will support this title with good artist and writer, because this power couple could be the next big thing in Marvel.

I don't care for Mockingbird's new outfit. Her oddball mask was at least distinct; now she looks like someone who can't decide whether she wants to cosplay as Black Canary or Catwoman. :o

I don't care for Mockingbird's new outfit. Her oddball mask was at least distinct; now she looks like someone who can't decide whether she wants to cosplay as Black Canary or Catwoman. :o

I think Mockingbird's mask looks similar to Hawkeye's, except that it's white and she doesn't have his helmet.

HAHA! This is great! I love Hawkeye, glad he's getting a new ongoing. Hopefully this one will last long.

I think Mockingbird's mask looks similar to Hawkeye's, except that it's white and she doesn't have his helmet.

True, but I still think the result of Mockingbird's redesign is she looks less distinct than other heroines. It is easy to laugh at her long sleeves, or her awkward mask, from the 70's and 80's. But at least I could easily pick her out of a crowd. In SIEGE #2, if there wasn't a name tag hovering above everyone who assembled to Steve Rogers' call, I would not have found Mockingbird there. She would have been "generic blond heroine I have to look up". I mean, I know she's had that outfit for a while in NEW AVENGERS, but she's basically a woman with a bo staff. That isn't the most original thing ever, and her older outfit at least made her unique looking. Now she just looks like she is a random member of The Batman Family.

I didn't read "THE REUNION" mini series partly because I never bought Bendis' explanation for her demise/return, considering Mephisto himself zapped her and she was once visited in Hell; the idea of a Skrull fooling Mephisto himself is too ludicrous for words. I also wasn't in the mood for another mini around SECRET INVASION's time for $3.99 an issue. I don't think I have ever liked Hawkeye enough to read him in a solo series. Some people are obsessed over archer characters (partly because they are usually snarky, or because they are the closest to what someone in real life could do to be a hero, as most of us will never be billionaire martial artists), but I am not.

Still, if you read the material now, Hawkeye really came off like a jerk for his issues with Mockingbird. She was trapped in the past, drugged and raped by Phantom Rider, and while he does die, she didn't like break his neck; merely refused to save him when he went off a cliff (the "I don't have to save you" is apparently good enough for Batman). Instead of being supportive of his wife for the ideal and/or being irked that he didn't get the chance to pummel the Rider himself, Clint gets all pissed at Bobbie for icing him. It was perhaps the extreme end of the "superheroes never kill under any circumstances" era of comics, which in 2010 has been reversed, where EVERY hero either kills or looks away at those who do. One day we might get a middle.

Last edited:
I'll give it a try. I've missed Hawkeye.

What's with the "W.C.A." on the sketch, though? West Coast Avengers? Potentially squee-worthy if so. :awesome:

I'll give it a try. I've missed Hawkeye.

What's with the "W.C.A." on the sketch, though? West Coast Avengers? Potentially squee-worthy if so. :awesome:

World Counterterrorism Agency is a group that debuted in the New Avengers: The Reunion mini which this series sims to spin off of.

I like Hawkeye and Mockingbird, and MB's new costume is a huge improvement over her old outfit with those ridiculous sleeves. However, I do miss the fact that she used to bare most of her thigh in her old costume. :D Hopefully Marvel will support this title with good artist and writer, because this power couple could be the next big thing in Marvel.

Please. Give me the classics any day. I like the sleeves and the "oddball" mask and the bare legs and boots. it was an original design that was FUN and quirky. (ever see Byrne draw Mockingbird in WCA? that means West Coast Avengers.) I don't like the new Mockingbird outfit, and I'm tired of this trend toward "what would the character wear in real life." She looks a lot like a lot of other female characters they're trying to update. Superhero comics are getting way too serious.....

Last edited:
Marvel so obviously wants them to be GREEN ARROW & BLACK CANARY, forgetting that no one seems to be reading that. Comics are great in that every idea one company does is ripped off, even the UNSUCCESSFUL ideas! :awesome:
Hey, GA/BC's gone for like 30 issues, even though it's never been good.

Hey, GA/BC's gone for like 30 issues, even though it's never been good.

DC also has a lower sales threshold for cancellation than Marvel does. Marvel will can a book once sales hit below about 18-17k an issue with no end in sight (and sometimes even 20k sellers have hit the axe in years past). DC usually waits until a series falls to perhaps 10-14k an issue with no end in sight, at least for a non Vertigo or Wildstorm comic (both imprints that usually sell lower than mainstream DC). Also, due to Vertigo, I think DC has an idea that if a series is getting some kind of positive buzz, to let it linger even if the sales are not the best, because DC realizes trades are eternal and their Vertigo titles are common at bookstores. Compare this to Marvel, who has all but demonized "trade waiters", done everything in their power to make trades just as expensive, if not more so, than collecting monthly issues, and insists on using Diamond to sell trades to BOOK stores, rather than distribution companies that sell books to book stores, as DC has. To be fair, Image and other companies have the same trade problem, and the fact that DC's parent company is WB likely helps.

In Feb. 2010, GREEN ARROW AND BLACK CANARY #29 sold 16,600 copies, listing at #100 of the Top 100 list (and likely only there because comic sales as a whole were down 3%). All Marvel ongoing titles that sell at or below that level have been canceled. X-MEN FOREVER sells barely above it, but at $4 twice a month, it likely has a higher threshold than some titles.

My point is that Green Arrow and Black Canary are not commercially successful characters for DC right now, nor has pairing them together in a book really produced much of a result. Why rip off an idea that is clearly failing?

Hawkeye has sold some solo comics in the past, but...so has Sleepwalker. It isn't 1987 anymore. Whether good or bad, the odds of this lasting 12 full issues has to be at best 10%, especially with a $3.99 debut issue. I genuinely believe Marvel is underestimating how few people want to risk $4 on a number one issue for a franchise that is NOT a big name, tested, "important" comic. They are unaware of the market they have spent the last half decade creating in which only "important" books sell, and not all comics can be "important"; even being of GOOD QUALITY is not comparable to "important", sadly. The HEROIC AGE looks to be an attempt to undo some of his mindset in the readership, but will it work, or be too little, too late?

Marvel Comics has just released the following advance look at "Hawkeye & Mockingbird" #1, reuniting Jim McMann and David Lopez, the creative team from "New Avengers: The Reunion." The series debuts in stores June 3.

Marvel is proud to present your first look at Hawkeye & Mockingbird #1, from the fan-favorite New Avengers: The Reunion creative team of Jim McCann and David Lopez. Hawkeye, the world’s greatest marksman is back—and reunited with the world's most dangerous super-spy, Mockingbird—as two of the most popular Avengers launch an all-new ongoing series in the Heroic Age!

I like the arrow with Pym Particles that releases a hundred other arrows, pretty cool! Art looks good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"