The Incredible Hercules Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incredible Hercules #141 Preview

szg3o7.jpg

2a8qiqa.jpg

"ASSAULT ON NEW OLYMPUS," Finale!

IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THIS! The past two years of storylines in Incredible Hercules have been building to one climactic moment, and here it arrives at last! The final showdown between Hercules and Typhon! Amadeus Cho becomes a true hero at last! And just why was Athena so happy at the end of "Sacred Invasion," anyway? All secrets are revealed in what is undoubtedly the most shocking ending of the year! Don't tell the Internet why we had to call this issue "EVERYBODY DIES!" PLUS! A bonus backup story featuring the AGENTS OF ATLAS!

Alas, poor Herc...

Although, I really hope we get that story with him and Ares tearing their way through Hades and back to the land of the living. That would rock.

28wnz2h.jpg

HEROIC AGE: PRINCE OF POWER #1
Written by GREG PAK & FRED VAN LENTE
Art by REILLY BROWN
Issue #1 Variant Cover by ED MCGUINNESS

THE HEROIC AGE IS HERE!!
The Lion of Olympus has fallen. And as the Heroic Age dawns, the Golden Mace of Hercules passes to a new Prince of Power...who just happens to be Herc's best friend, Korean-American kid genius, Amadeus Cho. But when Amadeus finally reveals what he plans to do with his new power, the heavens themselves may shatter as Marvel's mightiest pantheons are shaken to the core! And wait a minute...what's THOR doing on the cover of this book? Fan fave writers Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente and beloved "Thorcules" artist Reilly Brown bring the thunder with the next essential chapter in the mind-blowing, heart-wrenching, and gut-busting epic that is the "INCREDIBLE HERCULES" experience!
Rated T …$3.99

So lemme get this straight. Cho is the new prince of power b/c his intelligence will be needed to defeat something that Herc and his strength would not be able to. And because there can't be 2 princes of power.....Athena kills Herc? :huh: Most unnecessary demotion ever.

Last edited:
Yep! And it will show up in sales! I looked forward to Herc everyone week and bought every comic that came out but I can honestly say I have no plan to buy this new series with Cho only. But is Herc really dead or just in that Continuum world? That last page lost me. :huh:

Yeah, I don't care enough about a Cho-centric book to pay money for it. We shall see.

Repost of my review, with spoilers:

Dread said:
INCREDIBLE HERCULES #141: How could this not be "Book Of The Week" material? In an era when character deaths are used as shock value and/or are telegraphed by previews online almost to the punch, this issue manages to surpass all that and still make things dramatic, funny, and even tragic. That is the talent of Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente, that is the multi layers they bring to their series. That should put to rest the lie that overly critical fans are the "cause" to underwhelming comics.

And let's get the REBORN argument out of the way before it starts. Both REBORN and INCREDIBLE HERC have internet promotions and solicitations. Reading those is a fan's choice and if one is spoiled, that is optional. However, REBORN fell behind schedule and Marvel began printing comics that took place AFTER, even Brubaker's EPILOGUE to that series, before the climax even aired! That is what helped make that "event" almost become moot before it was sold. While Hercules' demise was telegraphed for a while, it is all in service to the long tale that Pak & Van Lente want to weave over some 8-9 arcs. As the recap page shows, it has been 30 issues of material up to this point (not including the PLANET HULK issues of INCREDIBLE HULK). And there is still more to come in this modern myth.

Still, Pak and Van Lente almost pull off the fake out, with Thanotos there to claim the spirits of Zeus and Hera, reunited in death. Amadeus Cho begrudgingly is told to "live" by Hercules if he wants to become a real hero, and what better advice than that to a guy who has done more than "live" for all these years (drinking and sleeping with nearly everything in range, in between battles). So while Cho helps the Mighty Avengers survive their battle with Hera's flunkies in the lobby of the Olympus Group building, Hercules faces his destiny against Typhon, who seems set to use Continuum to destroy the world. Rodney Buchemi has become the best artist on the series, displacing even Clayton Henry in my eyes at this point, depicting the battle in quite exciting detail. Some of the pacing could have been a little better, but overall it was still effective and dramatic. The theme, also, seems to suggest that even to gods, the idea of "destiny" may be a lie, and that events only happen as foretold with strict manipulation. For a god known for brute strength, Hercules defeats Typhon in the end by outwitting him with the River Lethe water (which was also rather telegraphed, but still executed well). Yet Athena arrives and feels that it is time that Hercules should die, and sets it in motion herself.

Athena has certainly come off as complicated over this run. There are times when she comes off as determined or sympathetic, and others when she still seems like the sort of god who uses mortals as pawns and playthings to her schemes, which us mortals tend not to like. She takes credit for Hercules' creation, as well as destruction. The act does genuinely sadden her to no end, but she still performs it, because she feels Cho either can't or won't step up like she needs him to with Hercules around. To be fair, Cho is not quite the same arrogant pup who cared about little as he was when World War Hulk got started. And, unlike Hera, at least Athena seems to genuinely love Hercules. It does make her actions rather unfathomable to some readers' eyes, though.

The long term threat is Mikabosi, the Japanese god of evil, at this rate. While rarely mentioned, he has been destroying other pantheons across reality, even killing the Shi'ar gods lately. Athena feels that it will be Cho's time to become her "prince of power", the Olympic sponsored mortal champion, that his "hyper-mind" will win out over brute strength. The irony of course is that Athena, like the other gods, has underestimated or discounted the notion of love, perhaps because their own relationships are so twisted with inbreeding and scandal. Cho and Hercules are strong as a team because in the end they do love each other like family. At any rate, if this was a death done out of shock value, I'd be the first screaming to the heavens about it. But it was clearly done as the end of a chapter to a longer story, and will not be a wasted gesture. The mourning of Hercules will inspire a two issue mini series, before Pak and Van Lente, as well as their editors, throw sales evidence to the wind to give Cho his own "PRINCE OF POWER" series (although Marvel has hedged their bets, placing HEROIC AGE on the title to encourage retailers). Historically Cho has been unable to sell well alone; his solo Herc issues sold worse than Herc's did. But, regardless of the sales, it does seem that this story is being allowed to play out as intended, which shows some creative cajones from all involved. Maybe all of those shameless Deadpool or Wolverine stories are tithes to allow this opus to come to a conclusion on its own terms.

While comic book characters cheating death is hardly uncommon (even used for laughs during a trek to the Underworld in past issues), for gods especially it seems so. Thor actually remained dead for three years, but I doubt Hercules will share that fate. In fact I would be surprised if Pak & Van Lente didn't bring Herc back on their own terms at some point in the future. My guesses would be that either Cho realizes that Athena tricked him and sets off on his own course to resurrect Hercules, or that Athena "killed" Hercules to prevent him from being slain by Mikabosi, which may have "protected" him from a death that could not be undone. Perhaps a dash of both theories? At any rate, while it is easy to feel sorry for Hebe especially, I was wondering how poor Namora would take it.

This leads nicely into the AGENTS OF ATLAS strip by Parker and Hardman, the last of the series (it seems). It was better than the full issue of material this week as Venus and Aphrodite have a duel of the siren songs. Now, see, this is actually interesting. The siren taking on the goddess she was themed after. The result was that Venus actually was motivated by genuine caring for her allies, while Aphrodite had degenerated into petty bitterness. The idea of Aphrodite proclaiming Venus as the new "goddess of love" was a little much, but I am curious how Parker will handle things when the next ATLAS series starts. I certainly do hope that Namora's side of Hercules mourning is touched on for the funeral issues; I did wonder how much of her proclamations about him last issue were due to Aphrodite, or something within her. They had a good thing going, after all.

There is also another part of me going, "wow, now MIGHTY AVENGERS will certainly seem behind the times next issue", since I imagine Hercules will be part of the book until it ends in April. Still, that sort of thing is unavoidable. One chapter of the story ends, but I anticipate another beginning. Even in death, INCREDIBLE HERCULES shows how it should be done, and makes it look easy.

I'll certainly buy the PRINCE OF POWER book; I hear it is actually a mini series, even if the trade dress doesn't show it. Marvel did something similar to UNCANNY X-MEN: FIRST CLASS. It was an 8 issue mini, but they were real quiet about advertising that as such, perhaps so retailers would order it as if it was an ongoing, and not slack off just because it was, say, issue 7 or 8. Not that it mattered, but Marvel does do this. It does make sense story line wise, but the sales will likely not hold up. Cho has been unable to sell a book by himself before, and I'm not confident he will now.

The issue I think did a good job of showing how complex, or messed up, Athena is. She does clearly love Hercules, but at the same time, is willing to sacrifice him because she feels his death has to happen, otherwise Cho will never step up, or at least step up enough for this next challenge, which will likely be the whole Mikabosi thing.

I think what may happen is either "killing" Hercules was a means of protecting him from Mikabosi, because somehow the evil Japanese god has figured a more permanent way of killing gods (even though it didn't take for Zeus, who was rescued from the Underworld...granted, he IS the "all father", and Herc is technically a mere demi-god), OR, Cho eventually finds out what Athena did, changes course a bit to save Hercules, and then they finish off the final Pak/Lente arc together. There are supposed to be about 8-9 arcs, and I think in interviews they claimed we were now wrapping up about arc 6-7.

The death of gods is almost never supposed to be permanent. Heck, technically, while the Asgardians merely age very slowly via eating magic apples, the Olympians really ARE immortal. Thor was dead 3 years, but I sincerely doubt Hercules will be dead half as long. I think there will be a story or so where Cho kind of shows how he learned from Hercules while trying to carry on his legacy, but once he learns that Athena sort of "cut it short", Cho decides to bring Herc back.

Still, this move for Cho in PRINCE OF POWER clearly shows that Marvel editorial is willing to let Pak and Van Lente finish their opus on their own terms, and damn the sales. I mean, it was obvious from the solo-Cho issues of IH that he can't sell alone. Heck, isn't that why Pak had to insert Cho into WORLD WAR HULK in the first place? Plus, Reilly Brown on art. I'll be aboard. Why not? It's been good this far, and there're still more arcs to go!

Yep! And it will show up in sales! I looked forward to Herc everyone week and bought every comic that came out but I can honestly say I have no plan to buy this new series with Cho only. But is Herc really dead or just in that Continuum world? That last page lost me. :huh:
Presumably, we'll find out in the Fall of an Avenger issues.

And skipping Prince of Power seems utterly ridiculous given that 1) Van Lente is still writing it, 2) Hercules will obviously be back at some point, and 3) Cho teams up with THOR in the meantime! :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Corp you are so bias to anything Thor that I'm not sure if I can take that post seriously. :dry:

I'd still be reading Prince of Power even without Thor because it's pretty clearly just another chapter in whatever overarching plan Van Lente and Pak had in mind from the very start of Incredible Hercules. Seriously, it boggles my mind how 2 years of utterly fantastic Herc and Cho comics from Van Lente and Pak haven't earned them at least the benefit of an arc or two of Cho-only comics from some of you.

No I agree it's been a fantastic series but...............I just don't think Cho has what it takes to hold his own series. He and Herc were just a funny duo. I think even when Herc and Cho separated, the Cho issues were just lacking. I understand that Pak maybe building to something but Herc's "death" just seemed pointless when he was being built up to being something great.

I don't know whether Cho has what it takes to hold his own series, personally, 'cause I've never seen anyone try to have him do it. That arc where he and Herc were separated was kind of bland, true, but I blame that on the plot. Cho vs. other super-smart dude was not a particularly strong story idea, in my opinion. But the character stuff around that, with Cho coming to terms with his family's death, figuring out Athena's manipulations, etc., was really good. I'm hoping this series errs more to that side, and Van Lente and Pak's run so far has certainly earned them a few issues' worth of my money to show me what they have in store for Cho.

Plus, Cho's got the adamantine mace, the support of Athena (queen of the Olympians now), and Thor. So I'm excited.

Destroying the machine caused the new reality (which wasn't yet fully realized) to collapse in on itself. Where, if anywhere, that leaves him, we've yet to see.

Yeah, I don't get why anyone who's been following this series all this time wouldn't want to see where this story goes next.

I'm certainly following the series. It is obvious that Pak & Van Lente know what they are doing and are building forward on their long narrative that has been the Incredible Hercules run. If anything, they started playing their hand further when Cho was reading that book about heroes in which is states very clearly that the "death of a mentor" is a clear step in the journey. I'll be getting the DEATH OF AN AVENGER as well as PRINCE OF POWER. Why not?

I don't like Cho as much as Herc, but this whole long run has made him more tolerable and helped him grow up. If one has followed the run up to this point, it seems foolish to abandon it now, when it is in the third act.

I missed the idea of Hercules "dying" in that alternate reality. That works into the theory that Athena was trying to "protect" Herc in some way, or that he can be rescued by Cho at some point, without merely repeating the Underworld arc.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if Athena planned Herc's return at some point as well as his apparent "death." We know that she needs Cho to face at least one threat as the Prince of Power without Herc, but who's to say she needs that permanently?

Exactly. Or Cho decides to avert destiny a little to bring Hercules back. At any rate, there's still a lot to read in it. I mean, I'd be lying if I said I didn't like Cho more now than, say, at the start of WORLD WAR HULK. He has grown up a bit.

Yeah, I thought that Cho was an arrogant brat who refused to see things other than his way from when Incredible Hercules started. But he has really grown into a much more mature character as the story has progress. I love that.

Pak and Van Lente are good writers. Cho's grown into a good character. His story arc overall has been great. I'm definitely going to give "Prince of Power" a chance.

Exactly, see, that is what is called "character development". Pak and Van Lente wrote Cho a certain way in the beginning, and as he had more adventures with Hercules, and more mentoring, and what not, that experience has changed Cho's character to reflect that. It is almost a travesty that such a thing is still more of a rarity in mainstream hero comics as it should be, but it is what it is. It is why INCREDIBLE HERCULES is epic and why ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN at this point is $4 fan fiction. If Hercules was a stodgy type like Banner or Richards I don't think Cho would have learned much. But because Hercules is who he is, hardly a brainiac but a master of the brute stuff, it allowed Cho to learn while still being comfortable as the big brain, and that probably helped.

Exactly. Or Cho decides to avert destiny a little to bring Hercules back. At any rate, there's still a lot to read in it. I mean, I'd be lying if I said I didn't like Cho more now than, say, at the start of WORLD WAR HULK. He has grown up a bit.
You know what would be awesome? Athena's manipulated Herc all these years because she's vastly intelligent and able to plan ten steps ahead, right? Well, her new Prince of Power just happens to be insanely intelligent himself. What if Cho ultimately just outmaneuvers Athena and disproves her idea that things must happen a certain way, and that leads to his managing to bring Herc back? That would be cool.

You know what would be awesome? Athena's manipulated Herc all these years because she's vastly intelligent and able to plan ten steps ahead, right? Well, her new Prince of Power just happens to be insanely intelligent himself. What if Cho ultimately just outmaneuvers Athena and disproves her idea that things must happen a certain way, and that leads to his managing to bring Herc back? That would be cool.

Indeed. That could be what happens, Cho bringing Herc back against Athena's wishes either because his plans need Herc, or just because he loves the galoot. :D

Athena: Hercules stays in Hades. It must be this way!
Cho: Says you. All your prophecies and grand designs can kiss my firm yet supple butt, and you know why? 'Cause I'm smarter than you.

:hehe:

Please I predict Herc will be back sooner then later. If the death is not shown then the character is either not dead or not dead for long.

The more I think about it, the more I love the idea of Herc and Ares putting aside their differences and clawing their way out of Hades together, God of War-style. :hehe:

The more I think about it, the more I love the idea of Herc and Ares putting aside their differences and clawing their way out of Hades together, God of War-style. :hehe:

That would be pretty cool. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"