HBO Sci-Fi Series ‘’The Nevers’’

Damn it, for all of his *****baggery, Whedon still knows how to make good superhero stuff. I was very entertained by the pilot.

I was about to say that about the second episode. Too bad he's such an abusive *****e; creatively, he's still got it.

The second episode was just as strong, and the show's off to an excellent start.

The end cuts into the idea that Lavinia is a Professor X clone. I'm not sure that mutant interests are even her endgame.

Edit: Although I did go and say mutant there instead of touched, not exactly helping my point.

Last edited:
The Touched, just like Heroes and other shows that have been influenced by X-men.

I really enjoyed this episode. I liked the bit with Ms. Bidlow and her brother, and felt bad for Ms. Adair. Loved Mrs. True going after Maladay. Good to know that Maladay is Sebastian Shaw. And good to get a better idea of Mary's power. Kind of surprised that it didn't reveal the Touched to non-Touched. But it is a neat power more than just a Touched detector. They do seem to be having fun with "turns" in this, as most of them seem to be kind of minor. Kind of reminds me of MHA.

The twist at the end got me. Not what I expected. But it does explain that murder that kind of went no where in the premiere.

Another good episode, imo. Intriguing twist with Ms. Bidlow. Curious about the history between Maladie and Mrs. True and why they both changed their names. I agree that the "turns" so far have been more interesting than the usual "mutant powers."

I enjoyed the second episode even more...

Honestly, the little bit about the making of the event after the episode, there's such great work in this when it comes to set design and wardrobe etc. If not for Whedon's reputation, it could win some awards for them alone. There's some really great moments in this episode and Penance is just a wonderful character. Thick accent though. :funny:

Last edited:
There's some really great moments in this episode and Penance is just a wonderful character. Thick accent though. :funny:
Yeah I saw Ann Skelly in a really depressing mini-series a year or so ago and her accent was just as thick (if not thicker) there. I think it's natural, lol. Very good actress, though.

Yeah I saw Ann Skelly in a really depressing mini-series a year or so ago and her accent was just as thick (if not thicker) there. I think it's natural, lol. Very good actress, though.

It was just like with the character in the segment after the episode where she talked about the scene.

If she can pull of a good American accent, I could easily see her in the MCU. Only 24 years old as well.

I'd have no complaints about seeing her in the MCU, but when I think of someone for her to play, my thoughts first go to Jessica Drew, which would strictly speaking put her in the Sony-verse.

Or they could make her Siryn, and then she wouldn't need to lose the accent.

I think the series is actually quite good. At least so far…

But, apparently, the critics have seen two more episodes than we have. And their general assessment seems to be that The Nevers — four episodes in — is still in setup, world-building and character introductions mode. I.e., the pacing and plot is unfocused. I guess we’ll find out for ourselves soon enough.

Well, there's the Whedon tragedy. I am glad they did what they did with Monday, because otherwise, it would have been way, way too similar to pretty much all of Whedon's work.

I'm glad it happened with Mary and not with Penance, since they're both sweet characters that could be offed for shock value, and I'm more of a fan of Penance. Regardless, that was an "Oh, wow" moment for me. Mary seemed like a bigger character than that, and I imagined her power would be more important to the season as a whole. She also got more interesting this episode, which I think helped with the surprise.

I liked the pond scene, too, and the part with the interrogation. I liked the episode as a whole, just not quite as much as the last two because I thought it was kind of clunky at times.

If you have ever watched a Joss Whedon show, what happened tonight wasn't a surprise and why I am glad I won't have to sit through his ****ty cliches much longer.

It was a great episode. Im not mad at Whedon for killing off who he killed off, esp nowadays most shows are like this. Shonda loves to do it in her shows, Game of Thrones was built upon it, this is no different even if it's Whedon at the helm. Guy doesn't do comedy feel good shows for a reason.

That water fight though....kudos to everyone for that scene! It was badass, intense, all around great. I was holding my breath during it not sure how it'd play out.

It was a great episode. Im not mad at Whedon for killing off who he killed off, esp nowadays most shows are like this. Shonda loves to do it in her shows, Game of Thrones was built upon it, this is no different even if it's Whedon at the helm...

Yeah. If we’re talking Whedon’s recurrent themes (or tired clichés) I guess strong women who are also physically formidable fills the bill. But I wouldn’t put character deaths in that same category.

In the Buffy thread (just to be a crap disturber :word:), I floated the idea that there were an inordinate number female character deaths for an ostensibly “feminist” series. But I did acknowledge that this could be a statistical thing. I.e., given the large female cast, the list of female causalities was bound to be disproportionally high. So, same for The Nevers…?

That water fight though....kudos to everyone for that scene! It was badass, intense, all around great. I was holding my breath during it not sure how it'd play out.

:up: I thought that was very impressive. Expertly directed (by David Semel).

Is it really considered a Whedon thing the killing of female characters? I thought that was Nolan's job. :oldrazz:

I gather it's probably the killing of major characters for the sake of shock value that puts some people off. Not that I really agree with the statement. But in this instance I feel it would have much more impact had it happened later on or with a better built-up.

There are like 3 male regulars compared to the 7/8 females? Lol.

Is it really considered a Whedon thing the killing of female characters? I thought that was Nolan's job. :oldrazz:

I never realized this was a cliché that Whedon created either. I guess all the male characters that died on Buffy are just forgotten about.

I never realized this was a cliché that Whedon created either. I guess all the male characters that died on Buffy are just forgotten about.

Name one. :cwink:

To be sure, there were numerous male villains who were killed (usually by Buffy, herself). And there were lots of Sunnydale victims-of-the week of either sex. But name a regular/semi-regular male ally of Buffy who’d be analogous to Kendra, Joyce, Tara or Anya. Maybe there were one or two. But I don’t recall any... (at least, none that weren’t resurrected).

I will say, that it is a bit of an improvement than many of his other instances, because it felt less about destroying a happy relationship, which is definitely an issue Whedon has. It did feel a bit much, what with Mrs. Best's back story and the one kidnapper lady. I also don't think it helped that this was the most "HBO" episode in terms of nudity.

It was still a very good episode, a whole lot to like. Continue to be very creative with the turns and the action.

Name one. :cwink:
But name a regular/semi-regular male ally of Buffy who’d be analogous to Kendra, Joyce, Tara or Anya. Maybe there were one or two. But I don’t recall any... (at least, none that weren’t resurrected).

I was just specifying male characters in general. Ford wasn't a regular character but he was an ally to Buffy and she was forced to kill him after he turned.

Are we seriously discussing that Whedon kills off women in shows that are primarily filled with way more female characters? What about
Serenity? It's been a while but the ones that I remember dying from the main cast at the end were three male characters.
I don't mean any offence but to me the discussion feels silly to even engage any further.

I will say, that it is a bit of an improvement than many of his other instances, because it felt less about destroying a happy relationship...

Indeed, this character death (remaining nameless so as not to spoil :ninja:) actually had a more noble narrative purpose. It led to the final scene — which, I thought, was fairly poignant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"